Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures

Started Apr 19, 2019 | Discussions
rapick
rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,441
Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures
4

Nikon (as well as other manufacturers) never published sales figures of their digital cameras. Wouldn't it be interesting to know?  The only source that I know is Photosynthesis

It is a database maintained by Roland (in NZ) based on information received by lens and camera owners (that means: it doesn't guarantee to be 100% accurate).

From there I extracted this list (limited to FX cameras and a few 'historical' DX - the original list includes ALL Nikon DSLR's).

D1________________37759
D1H______________12383
D1X______________47109
D2H______________39823
D2HS______________7838
D2X______________66839
D2XS_____________25211
D3_______________95390
D3S______________65228
D3X______________23158
D4_______________74130
D4S______________27884
D5_______________23430+

D100____________302765
D200____________725085
D300____________588744
D300S___________311167

D500____________110759+
D700____________536297
D800____________346903
D800E____________76540
D810____________257217
D810A_____________2306
D850_____________73967+
Df________________57812

D600____________234630
D610____________614192
D750____________457373+

Notes:

  • In the above list I considered 'worldwide' sales. In recent years Nikon assigned different serial No. fields to different regions (e.g.: Japan - USA - Europe - Asia . etc.): this add higher uncertainty and possible sources of error.
  • I added a '+' for cameras still in production (afaik)

Even with the said limits, I think that these figures may suggest some interesting considerations on the relative 'popularity' of each model.

BTW: does anybody know some alternative / official source for this type of info?

-- hide signature --

Rapick
Visit my galleries at: http://rapick.jalbum.net/

 rapick's gear list:rapick's gear list
Samsung NX3000 Nikon Coolpix 995 Sony RX100 III Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +5 more
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 8,325
Re: Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures
2

D610 is the FX champ! I guess price is important.

 Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon Z7 +19 more
rapick
OP rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,441
Re: E.C. - Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures

rapick wrote:

Nikon (as well as other manufacturers) never published sales figures of their digital cameras. Wouldn't it be interesting to know? The only source that I know is Photosynthesis

It is a database maintained by Roland (in NZ) based on information received by lens and camera owners (that means: it doesn't guarantee to be 100% accurate).

From there I extracted this list (limited to FX cameras and a few 'historical' DX - the original list includes ALL Nikon DSLR's).

D1________________37759
D1H______________12383
D1X______________47109
D2H______________39823
D2HS______________7838
D2X______________66839
D2XS_____________25211
D3_______________95390
D3S______________65228
D3X______________23158
D4_______________74130
D4S______________27884+
D5_______________23430+

D100____________302765
D200____________725085
D300____________588744
D300S___________311167

D500____________110759+
D700____________536297
D800____________346903
D800E____________76540
D810____________257217+
D810A_____________2306+
D850_____________73967+
Df________________57812+

D600____________234630
D610____________614192+
D750____________457373+

Notes:

  • In the above list I considered 'worldwide' sales. In recent years Nikon assigned different serial No. fields to different regions (e.g.: Japan - USA - Europe - Asia . etc.): this add higher uncertainty and possible sources of error.
  • I added a '+'  and printed Bold for cameras still in production (afaik)

Even with the said limits, I think that these figures may suggest some interesting considerations on the relative 'popularity' of each model.

BTW: does anybody know some alternative / official source for this type of info?

Correction: I checked Nikon official websites and more models appear to be still available new by them (as corrected above)

-- hide signature --

Rapick
Visit my galleries at: http://rapick.jalbum.net/

 rapick's gear list:rapick's gear list
Samsung NX3000 Nikon Coolpix 995 Sony RX100 III Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +5 more
Satyaa Veteran Member • Posts: 3,725
Re: E.C. - Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures

I don't know anything about that source or the accuracy but the numbers are interesting.

The D300/S seems to have the most combined numbers overall. Similarly D3/S/X seems to have the highest combined numbers in the single digit series.

Besides that, the numbers are generally higher for lower priced models... makes sense in that respect.

There will be some niche models that will continue to sell after many customers move over to the Z bodies... like the D500. I expect that many others will be discontinued sooner than later.

-- hide signature --

I thought that blocking a user was rude but I have recently found that it is becoming a necessity. If I am not responding to some users/posts, now you know why...

 Satyaa's gear list:Satyaa's gear list
Panasonic FZ2500 Canon EOS 400D Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +10 more
rapick
OP rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,441
Re: E.C. - Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures
5

Satyaa wrote:

I don't know anything about that source or the accuracy but the numbers are interesting.

The only source available, AFAIK.

The D300/S seems to have the most combined numbers overall. Similarly D3/S/X seems to have the highest combined numbers in the single digit series.

Besides that, the numbers are generally higher for lower priced models... makes sense in that respect.

There will be some niche models that will continue to sell after many customers move over to the Z bodies... like the D500. I expect that many others will be discontinued sooner than later.

You say many customers are moving to Z? I can't see that rush, frankly speaking. Sales data for Z6/Z7 are still very incomplete. One thing I note, in general, is that the number of 'fans' here for a given model is not an indication of the actual sales figure (e.g. see Df)

-- hide signature --

Rapick
Visit my galleries at: http://rapick.jalbum.net/

 rapick's gear list:rapick's gear list
Samsung NX3000 Nikon Coolpix 995 Sony RX100 III Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +5 more
Ask Mait Contributing Member • Posts: 825
Re: E.C. - Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures

rapick wrote:

rapick wrote:

Nikon (as well as other manufacturers) never published sales figures of their digital cameras. Wouldn't it be interesting to know? The only source that I know is Photosynthesis

It is a database maintained by Roland (in NZ) based on information received by lens and camera owners (that means: it doesn't guarantee to be 100% accurate).

From there I extracted this list (limited to FX cameras and a few 'historical' DX - the original list includes ALL Nikon DSLR's).

D1________________37759
D1H______________12383
D1X______________47109
D2H______________39823
D2HS______________7838
D2X______________66839
D2XS_____________25211
D3_______________95390
D3S______________65228
D3X______________23158
D4_______________74130
D4S______________27884+
D5_______________23430+

D100____________302765
D200____________725085
D300____________588744
D300S___________311167

D500____________110759+
D700____________536297
D800____________346903
D800E____________76540
D810____________257217+
D810A_____________2306+
D850_____________73967+
Df________________57812+

D600____________234630
D610____________614192+
D750____________457373+

Notes:

  • In the above list I considered 'worldwide' sales. In recent years Nikon assigned different serial No. fields to different regions (e.g.: Japan - USA - Europe - Asia . etc.): this add higher uncertainty and possible sources of error.
  • I added a '+' and printed Bold for cameras still in production (afaik)

Even with the said limits, I think that these figures may suggest some interesting considerations on the relative 'popularity' of each model.

BTW: does anybody know some alternative / official source for this type of info?

Correction: I checked Nikon official websites and more models appear to be still available new by them (as corrected above)

If 4s is still available new, I would like to get one, can someone tell me how, Thanks

Also, thanks to OP for putting this together.

Stan Disbrow Veteran Member • Posts: 4,548
Re: E.C. - Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures
2

Hi,

There are a couple photo outfits on eBay with new D4s units. Only place I know of.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume
your bank account, it will! Like mine, it did!

 Stan Disbrow's gear list:Stan Disbrow's gear list
Kodak DCS520 Kodak DCS760 Nikon D1H Pentax 645D Nikon Df +19 more
rapick
OP rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,441
Re: E.C. - Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

There are a couple photo outfits on eBay with new D4s units. Only place I know of.

Stan

According to Nikon  D4s is still in their DSLR camera lineup.

-- hide signature --

Rapick
Visit my galleries at: http://rapick.jalbum.net/

 rapick's gear list:rapick's gear list
Samsung NX3000 Nikon Coolpix 995 Sony RX100 III Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +5 more
Satyaa Veteran Member • Posts: 3,725
Re: E.C. - Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures

rapick wrote:

Satyaa wrote:

I don't know anything about that source or the accuracy but the numbers are interesting.

The only source available, AFAIK.

The D300/S seems to have the most combined numbers overall. Similarly D3/S/X seems to have the highest combined numbers in the single digit series.

Besides that, the numbers are generally higher for lower priced models... makes sense in that respect.

There will be some niche models that will continue to sell after many customers move over to the Z bodies... like the D500. I expect that many others will be discontinued sooner than later.

You say many customers are moving to Z? I can't see that rush, frankly speaking. Sales data for Z6/Z7 are still very incomplete. One thing I note, in general, is that the number of 'fans' here for a given model is not an indication of the actual sales figure (e.g. see Df)

I'm not saying that they're moving now but the DSLR sales is slowing down in anticipation. The Z sales will pick up... it is a matter of time. My point was, even when that happens, some models like D500 may still have an advantage for wildlife, sports, battery life, dual card-slot, etc.

-- hide signature --

I thought that blocking a user was rude but I have recently found that it is becoming a necessity. If I am not responding to some users/posts, now you know why...

 Satyaa's gear list:Satyaa's gear list
Panasonic FZ2500 Canon EOS 400D Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +10 more
rapick
OP rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,441
Re: E.C. - Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures

Satyaa wrote:

I'm not saying that they're moving now but the DSLR sales is slowing down in anticipation. The Z sales will pick up... it is a matter of time. My point was, even when that happens, some models like D500 may still have an advantage for wildlife, sports, battery life, dual card-slot, etc.

It would be good marketing strategy by Nikon (OK, doubts are allowed!) to keep in the lineup most of the DSLR produced at present: D5, D500, D750, D850, and maybe introduce a D610 update (D650?) at an even lower price level.

-- hide signature --

Rapick
Visit my galleries at: http://rapick.jalbum.net/

 rapick's gear list:rapick's gear list
Samsung NX3000 Nikon Coolpix 995 Sony RX100 III Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +5 more
ruifonikon
ruifonikon Senior Member • Posts: 1,657
Re: Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures
1

Very interesting. I'd love to see all the other DX models as well. They must sell much more than the FX.

-- hide signature --
 ruifonikon's gear list:ruifonikon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +23 more
PerfectPoms
PerfectPoms Senior Member • Posts: 2,214
Re: Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures

I'm surprised at the low numbers for the D500, especially compared to the D300 at 5 times more.

-- hide signature --
 PerfectPoms's gear list:PerfectPoms's gear list
Nikon AF-S 180-400mm F4E TC1.4 Nikon D2Hs Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon D4 +16 more
rapick
OP rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,441
Re: Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures
1

ruifonikon wrote:

Very interesting. I'd love to see all the other DX models as well. They must sell much more than the FX.

DX sell much more, indeed. You can follow the link in my OP message. All Nikon DSLR listed there.

-- hide signature --

Rapick
Visit my galleries at: http://rapick.jalbum.net/

 rapick's gear list:rapick's gear list
Samsung NX3000 Nikon Coolpix 995 Sony RX100 III Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +5 more
rapick
OP rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,441
Re: Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures
1

PerfectPoms wrote:

I'm surprised at the low numbers for the D500, especially compared to the D300 at 5 times more.

Maybe many photographers migrated to FX? See the numbers for D600, D610, D750...

And the whole DSLR market shrined a lot, lately...

-- hide signature --

Rapick
Visit my galleries at: http://rapick.jalbum.net/

 rapick's gear list:rapick's gear list
Samsung NX3000 Nikon Coolpix 995 Sony RX100 III Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +5 more
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 8,325
Re: Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures

rapick wrote:

PerfectPoms wrote:

I'm surprised at the low numbers for the D500, especially compared to the D300 at 5 times more.

Maybe many photographers migrated to FX? See the numbers for D600, D610, D750...

And the whole DSLR market shrined a lot, lately...

That’s what I was thinking. The D300 was released just before the D3 and months before the D700, so it didn’t have as much competition. It was also $1200 cheaper than the D700 and $3800 cheaper than the D3. It was also a pretty significant upgrade from the D200. It’s easy to see why it sold so well.

 Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon Z7 +19 more
rapick
OP rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,441
Re: What about Z6/Z7?
2

Z6/Z7 bodies sales figures in Ronald's database still too partial (many world areas missing) to draw any conclusion. But in the 'lens' page of 'photosynthesis' I found about 73,000 FTZ adaptors sold up to now. Is it reasonable to suppose almost everybody buying a Z6/Z7 also bought a FTZ? The most popular Z lens is the 24-70 f/4 S, totalizing 53,326.

Around 80,000 Z6/Z7 bodies sold up to now? Not a triumph, but neither a fiasco, IMHO, also considering the price level...

-- hide signature --

Rapick
Visit my galleries at: http://rapick.jalbum.net/

 rapick's gear list:rapick's gear list
Samsung NX3000 Nikon Coolpix 995 Sony RX100 III Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +5 more
ruifonikon
ruifonikon Senior Member • Posts: 1,657
Re: Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures
1

rapick wrote:

ruifonikon wrote:

Very interesting. I'd love to see all the other DX models as well. They must sell much more than the FX.

DX sell much more, indeed. You can follow the link in my OP message. All Nikon DSLR listed there.

I collected the numbers, from the same source:

DX (total) - 28,557,604

  1. D5100 - 2,873,411
  2. D90 - 2,710,617
  3. D3200 - 2,018,969
  4. D60 - 1,972,352
  5. D40X - 1,896,857
  6. D7000 - 1,540,780
  7. D80 - 1,446,500
  8. D3000 - 1,440,627
  9. D5300 - 1,386,948
  10. D3100 - 1,272,154
  11. D5200 - 1,258,987
  12. D3300 - 1,102,429
  13. D50 - 857,398
  14. D7100 - 841,166
  15. D70 - 789,423
  16. D200 - 725,085
  17. D40X - 617,196
  18. D70S - 594,140
  19. D300 - 588,744
  20. D5500 - 494,928
  21. D5000 - 408,435
  22. D7200 - 401,763
  23. D300S - 311,167
  24. D100 - 302,765
  25. D3400 - 285,784
  26. D500 - 110,759
  27. D7500 - 71,258
  28. D2X - 66,839
  29. D1X - 47,109
  30. D2H - 39,823
  31. D1 - 37,759
  32. D2XS - 25,211
  33. D1H - 12,383
  34. D2HS - 7,838

FX (total) - 2,966,457

  1. D610 - 614,192
  2. D700 - 536,297
  3. D750 - 457,373
  4. D800 - 346,903
  5. D810 - 257,217
  6. D600 - 234,630
  7. D3 - 95,390
  8. D800E - 76,540
  9. D4 - 74,130
  10. D850 - 73,967
  11. D3S - 65,228
  12. Df - 57,812
  13. D4S - 27,884
  14. D5 - 23,430
  15. D3X - 23,158
  16. D810A - 2,306

Z (total) - 73,000

  • FTZ adaptor - 73,000
  • Z6 - 34,628 (at least)
  • Z7 - 7,639 (at least)
-- hide signature --
 ruifonikon's gear list:ruifonikon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +23 more
rapick
OP rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,441
Re: Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures
1

ruifonikon wrote:

rapick wrote:

ruifonikon wrote:

Very interesting. I'd love to see all the other DX models as well. They must sell much more than the FX.

DX sell much more, indeed. You can follow the link in my OP message. All Nikon DSLR listed there.

I collected the numbers, from the same source:

DX (total) - 28,557,604

  1. D5100 - 2,873,411
  2. D90 - 2,710,617
  3. D3200 - 2,018,969
  4. D60 - 1,972,352
  5. D40X - 1,896,857
  6. D7000 - 1,540,780
  7. D80 - 1,446,500
  8. D3000 - 1,440,627
  9. D5300 - 1,386,948
  10. D3100 - 1,272,154
  11. D5200 - 1,258,987
  12. D3300 - 1,102,429
  13. D50 - 857,398
  14. D7100 - 841,166
  15. D70 - 789,423
  16. D200 - 725,085
  17. D40X - 617,196
  18. D70S - 594,140
  19. D300 - 588,744
  20. D5500 - 494,928
  21. D5000 - 408,435
  22. D7200 - 401,763
  23. D300S - 311,167
  24. D100 - 302,765
  25. D3400 - 285,784
  26. D500 - 110,759
  27. D7500 - 71,258
  28. D2X - 66,839
  29. D1X - 47,109
  30. D2H - 39,823
  31. D1 - 37,759
  32. D2XS - 25,211
  33. D1H - 12,383
  34. D2HS - 7,838

FX (total) - 2,966,457

  1. D610 - 614,192
  2. D700 - 536,297
  3. D750 - 457,373
  4. D800 - 346,903
  5. D810 - 257,217
  6. D600 - 234,630
  7. D3 - 95,390
  8. D800E - 76,540
  9. D4 - 74,130
  10. D850 - 73,967
  11. D3S - 65,228
  12. Df - 57,812
  13. D4S - 27,884
  14. D5 - 23,430
  15. D3X - 23,158
  16. D810A - 2,306

Z (total) - 73,000

  • FTZ adaptor - 73,000
  • Z6 - 34,628 (at least)
  • Z7 - 7,639 (at least)

Thanks for taking the time!

So the overall DX sales outnumber the overall ZX by about a 10:1 ratio, as expected.

And 'Z' sales are not bad at all: at least the same as the D850, but in a much shorter time (also considering some delayed availability after official launch). D850 sales look a bit 'weak' - maybe cannibalized by the Z7?

Now it will be interesting to see which route Nikon will choose: - drop DX? not likely (imho), since that is still the cow to milk, despite decreasing numbers. - drop FX in favour of Z? Again not likely soon, as too many Nikon faithful customers won't be happy to be forced to 'jump'. - keep updating and upgrading the three lines? A hard, hard, hard job!

-- hide signature --

Rapick
Visit my galleries at: http://rapick.jalbum.net/

 rapick's gear list:rapick's gear list
Samsung NX3000 Nikon Coolpix 995 Sony RX100 III Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +5 more
ruifonikon
ruifonikon Senior Member • Posts: 1,657
Re: Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures
2

To complement, I added the price tag of reference for each model (at launch in USD, to get some reference), and multiplied by the numbers produced above, to see the best income generating models for Nikon. I put on bold all the non-DX models.

  1. D90 - $3,347,611,995
  2. D5100 - $2,295,855,389
  3. D40X - $1,893,063,286
  4. D7000 - $1,848,936,000
  5. D700 - $1,447,465,603
  6. D3200 - $1,411,259,331
  7. D610 - $1,227,769,808
  8. D5200 - $1,129,311,339
  9. D5300 - $1,109,558,400
  10. D80 - $1,055,945,000
  11. D750 - $1,051,957,900
  12. D3000 - $1,051,657,710
  13. D800 - $1,040,362,097
  14. D7100 - $1,009,399,200
  15. D60 - $927,005,440
  16. D300 - $906,665,760
  17. D3100 - $889,235,646
  18. D50 - $857,398,000
  19. D810 - $848,816,100
  20. D200 - $725,085,000
  21. D3300 - $716,578,850
  22. D40X - $615,961,608
  23. D100 - $605,227,235
  24. D300S - $564,768,105
  25. D600 - $492,723,000
  26. D7200 - $482,115,600
  27. D5500 - $445,435,200
  28. D4 - $444,705,870
  29. D70S - $415,898,000
  30. D3 - $410,177,000
  31. D2X - $367,614,500
  32. D3S - $359,406,280
  33. D70 - $315,769,200
  34. D5000 - $298,157,550
  35. D800E - $252,582,000
  36. D1X - $252,033,150
  37. D850 - $244,091,100
  38. D500 - $221,518,000
  39. D1 - $188,757,241
  40. D3400 - $185,759,600
  41. D3X - $185,264,000
  42. D4S - $181,246,000
  43. Df - $158,925,188
  44. D5 - $152,295,000
  45. D2H - $139,380,500
  46. D2XS - $118,491,700
  47. D7500 - $89,072,500
  48. Z6 - $69,256,000 (at least)
  49. D1H - $53,866,050
  50. D2HS - $27,433,000
  51. Z7 - $25,972,600 (at least)
  52. FTZ Adaptor - $18,250,000
  53. D810A - $8,762,800
-- hide signature --
 ruifonikon's gear list:ruifonikon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +23 more
ruifonikon
ruifonikon Senior Member • Posts: 1,657
Re: Nikon (FX) DSLR cameras SALES figures

rapick wrote:

Thanks for taking the time!

So the overall DX sales outnumber the overall ZX by about a 10:1 ratio, as expected.

And 'Z' sales are not bad at all: at least the same as the D850, but in a much shorter time (also considering some delayed availability after official launch). D850 sales look a bit 'weak' - maybe cannibalized by the Z7?

Now it will be interesting to see which route Nikon will choose: - drop DX? not likely (imho), since that is still the cow to milk, despite decreasing numbers. - drop FX in favour of Z? Again not likely soon, as too many Nikon faithful customers won't be happy to be forced to 'jump'. - keep updating and upgrading the three lines? A hard, hard, hard job!

Maybe not so hard, to keep the 3 lines, once the overall production has been reduced quite a lot, over time, due to the decrease in DSLR sales, overall.

The revenue stream from the DX and the FX lines are just high enough to justify them for several more years.

-- hide signature --
 ruifonikon's gear list:ruifonikon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads