SL2 or M50 for Video and Travel (to Complement 6D)?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
MMACory Senior Member • Posts: 1,899
SL2 or M50 for Video and Travel (to Complement 6D)?

Was looking at something specifically for video with the added bonus of being small (for travelling light) and was excited about the SL3, but it's slightly limited with video - no 24 fps unless in 4K.

Looks like the main difference between the SL2 and M50 is DIGIC 7 (in the SL2) and DIGIC 8 in the M50. Not sure if that matters at all.

Thanks for any tips. Might even just keep the 6D for everything and call it a day, but an M50 with the 22mm lens (or maybe even the 15-45) or the SL2 with the 24mm STM lens might be a good call.

MMACory's gear list:MMACory's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 2,013
Re: SL2 or M50 for Video and Travel (to Complement 6D)?

You own some glass making the RP much more interesting. Add the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS to it and you and you have still a relatively compact "video camera". Focal length is equivalent to the 22mm, while you have IS and less high ISO noise.

If compatibility  with those lenses isn't that important, maybe a Sony A6500 + a  sigma prime (16, 30, 56mm f/1.4) is a better idea.

M50 isn't all that good with video.

SL2 seams to be the least interesting option to me.

-- hide signature --

If your facts are different we could save the peace just by calling it copy to copy variation.

OP MMACory Senior Member • Posts: 1,899

thunder storm wrote:

You own some glass making the RP much more interesting. Add the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS to it and you and you have still a relatively compact "video camera". Focal length is equivalent to the 22mm, while you have IS and less high ISO noise.

That would be amazing, but looks like the same issue as the SL3 - no 24 fps unless in 4K.

Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +4 more

MMACory wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

That would be amazing, but looks like the same issue as the SL3 - no 24 fps unless in 4K.

I see. On my side of the ocean 25fps is available on the RP, which would be good enough for me.

If 24fps is important to you, all those crippling nonsense of Canon is might be reason enough to go with another brand?

-- hide signature --

If your facts are different we could save the peace just by calling it copy to copy variation.

thunder storm wrote:

If 24fps is important to you, all those crippling nonsense of Canon is might be reason enough to go with another brand?

There might be better, but I'm familiar with Canon and that familiarity overrides "better".

beagle1 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,740

MMACory wrote:

Was looking at something specifically for video with the added bonus of being small (for travelling light) and was excited about the SL3, but it's slightly limited with video - no 24 fps unless in 4K.

Looks like the main difference between the SL2 and M50 is DIGIC 7 (in the SL2) and DIGIC 8 in the M50. Not sure if that matters at all.

Thanks for any tips. Might even just keep the 6D for everything and call it a day, but an M50 with the 22mm lens (or maybe even the 15-45) or the SL2 with the 24mm STM lens might be a good call.

I travel and bicycle with the older Canon M5 mirrorless and "pancake" lens

and mirrorless can easily use DSLR lens

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Craig Smith Regular Member • Posts: 179

If your looking for a 4k camera, best to look elsewhere. Your smartphone, if it's a recent model, will do 4k better then any current Canon camera. Now if you can live with 1080p, the M50 along with the EF-M 11-22mm lens is an excellent setup for video.

Craig Smith's gear list:Craig Smith's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4

MMACory wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

There might be better, but I'm familiar with Canon and that familiarity overrides "better".

I see. That is a clear choice. Given this choice i would skip the 4K spec. The best thing to update on your current 6D might be the AF:  you could upgrade for having dpaf. You also seam not to care about a viewfinder when doing video. You have full frame lenses....

My advice would be: get a used 6D mkII.   Same batteries. Flippy screen. Full frame. AND dpaf 80%x80%.

-- hide signature --

Advi
Advi Forum Member • Posts: 87

M50 has Digic 8, so as SL3.

SL2 has Digic 7.

M50 has 24 fps at Full HD and also 4K. You can use DPAF at FHD, and manual focus at 4k.

SL3 has nothing your M50 cannot do.

-- hide signature --

Bye

Advi's gear list:Advi's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM

Advi wrote:

M50 has Digic 8, so as SL3.

SL2 has Digic 7.

M50 has 24 fps at Full HD and also 4K. You can use DPAF at FHD, and manual focus at 4k.

SL3 has nothing your M50 cannot do.

For what it's worth: the SL3 can do eye AF in burst mode.

Eye Af matters with the 50mm f/1.2 and the 135 f/2.0.

-- hide signature --

nnowak Veteran Member • Posts: 4,893
A few questions

Why are you specifically looking for 24fps?

Why don't you want to shoot 4k?

Is this camera for shooting photos while travelling and video when not travelling, or is it for shooting travel videos?

What are your trying to accomplish with your video shooting (family events, youtube, commercial production)?

Re: A few questions

nnowak wrote:

Is this camera for shooting photos while travelling and video when not travelling, or is it for shooting travel videos?

What are your trying to accomplish with your video shooting (family events, youtube, commercial production)?

They say that 24 fps is that nice "theatrical" quality, but now that you mention it I'm not sure who "they" are.

4K, from what I understand, is a lot of size, but maybe that's OK and maybe I'll give that a whirl.

100% photos while traveling/no video and video for my upcoming YouTube Channel.  So my big thing is a pivoting LCD and DPAF.  I actually like not having a pivoting LCD on my original 6D (for pics).

Also, as I become more familiar with video there's no telling where that may lead.

Thanks.

MMACory wrote:

nnowak wrote:

They say that 24 fps is that nice "theatrical" quality, but now that you mention it I'm not sure who "they" are.

4K, from what I understand, is a lot of size, but maybe that's OK and maybe I'll give that a whirl.

100% photos while traveling/no video and video for my upcoming YouTube Channel. So my big thing is a pivoting LCD and DPAF. I actually like not having a pivoting LCD on my original 6D (for pics).

If you just leave it in place it doesn't turn.

The good thing about turning the other way around is your screen is protected while traveling.

For video the pivoting screen isn't always necessary. It's possible to connect an external monitor too for studio purposes. My 70D and M50 can both be connected to my notebook with touchscreen, and with it's touchscreen i can see everything AND set everything like i can on the camera screen. You can even "focus manually" from that notebook. The only thing which can't be done is the zooming with a zoomlens.

If you want to be able to walk around AND see if your composition is right and the focus tracking is still fine a pivoting screen is necessary, as long as you don't want to carry a external monitor on the camera.

Also, as I become more familiar with video there's no telling where that may lead.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Oh

What might be "the" monitor to get for my 6D?  Then, for travel, maybe I'd just get a 40mm pancake lens and call it a day.  That's what I used for our big Italy trip and then swapped it out for a 50 1.2, but revisiting that might be an answer.  And, a monitor.

Thanks.

Re: Oh

MMACory wrote:

What might be "the" monitor to get for my 6D? Then, for travel, maybe I'd just get a 40mm pancake lens and call it a day. That's what I used for our big Italy trip and then swapped it out for a 50 1.2, but revisiting that might be an answer. And, a monitor.

Thanks.

I am not the person to answer this question. I'm not into monitors as i am fine with my notebook connected with USB   AND my flippy screens. I also don't know if your 6D is connectable to a monitor by hdmi. I did a quick google, and it seams it is possible. Another google learnt me the 6D can be used for tethered shooting via USB. I am not 100% sure if this is also true for video.

The good thing about the EF 40mm f/2.8 is it has stm giving smoother focusing for video. Downsides: no IS.  You also could want a mechanically coupled focus ring.

-- hide signature --

Re: Oh

MMACory wrote:

What might be "the" monitor to get for my 6D? Then, for travel, maybe I'd just get a 40mm pancake lens and call it a day. That's what I used for our big Italy trip and then swapped it out for a 50 1.2, but revisiting that might be an answer. And, a monitor.

Thanks.

Oh, another thing: a monitor doesn't give a touch feature. So you aren't able to correct your autofocus when needed by touching the screen. All my cameras have dpaf, i am not sure if face tracking AF is good enough with only contrast AF (could be, i just don't have any experience).

-- hide signature --

MMACory wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Movies are usually shot at 24fps.  Depending on where you are in the world, TV is either 24fps or 30fps.  For YT, it doesn't really matter

Bigger, but not 4X bigger.  It does give a lot more flexibility for editing.  For example, you can crop into the frame and/or pan around the frame and still have better than 1080p output.

100% photos while traveling/no video and video for my upcoming YouTube Channel. So my big thing is a pivoting LCD and DPAF. I actually like not having a pivoting LCD on my original 6D (for pics).

Thanks.

Are you planning talking head videos where the camera is on a tripod and you are stationery behind a desk, or will it be something more "active"?

nnowak wrote:

Are you planning talking head videos where the camera is on a tripod and you are stationery behind a desk, or will it be something more "active"?

Thanks.  For now - stationary.

MMACory wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Thanks. For now - stationary.

In that case I would probably start with thunder storm's advice and just use your 6D.  If you aren't moving, you don't even need AF if you aperture is appropriate.

Keep everything simple to start.  Once you get some experience you will have a much better idea what gear you will or won't need.

nnowak wrote:

In that case I would probably start with thunder storm's advice and just use your 6D. If you aren't moving, you don't even need AF if you aperture is appropriate.

Keep everything simple to start. Once you get some experience you will have a much better idea what gear you will or won't need.

Thanks.  Good advice.  I just put a 40mm lens in my Cart (as my travel solution) and can get the focus correct by putting an upright vacuum cleaner where I'll be sitting, manual focus on that, use maybe f/5.6 or 6.3 and call it a day.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads