Canon m50, need advise on the best bokeh head to toe solution video

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
GRphotos
OP GRphotos Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: Canon m50, need advise on the best bokeh head to toe solution video

RLight wrote:

Talking sheer bokeh and head to toe? EF-M 22mm f/2 STM, no contest.

Now for video? That gets tricky. IS is (very) useful for video. EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM has really good IS, but, it's 24mm, not 22 (not as wide, it matters) and it's a full stop slower in bokeh.

I vote EF-M 22mm f/2 STM and use digital IS as it'll crop it a bit, but so does the above EF 24mm in effect, and is larger, heavier, and less bokeh...

How important is the bokeh though over good image stabilization for video? You using a gimbal?

The STM motor in the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM pancake isn't completely silent either, like most lenses including the aforementioned EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM... Some kind of hotshoe mic is recommended for best results too, if you want to do it right.

A EF 22mm with a speedboster will haves its plus and minuses i guess, i do have a monopod and mic on a hot shoe, only the imc was purchased on WISH.com and its crappy, in addition to the grinding teeth sound from the auto focusing of the lenses it makes a a low end buzzy beep sound too.

Should i not be looking for something i can use with the speedbooster to take advantage of that extra stop of light?

GRphotos's gear list:GRphotos's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 2,096

GRphotos wrote:

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Superb-Canon-EF-24mm-F2-8-Ultra-Wide-Angle-AF-Lens/254210882561?hash=item3b30263c01:g:pFoAAOSwM6VcwYPY

this one looks nice for my speedbooster...

This one can be speedboosted. No IS.  AF will work, but i don't know if it will produce a lot of sound.

-- hide signature --

If your facts are different we could save the peace just by calling it copy to copy variation.

GRphotos

What you think of  Canon 24-70 with canon m50 and the speedbooster?

its a pricier lens

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,305
Human Size Bokeh @WIDE ANGLE = Fullframe advantage over APS-C

GRphotos wrote: I have to stand very far away to shoot persons body in a frame with the background blurred using with the viltrox and 50mm or 85mm, i now i that a wider lens would do the job but need to ask people with a m50 whats the best solution.

It is what it is.  To induce 'adequate' human-size-body BOKEH using an APS-C sensor, you need to rely on a Longish Telephoto prime like 85mm to sufficiently suppressed the backdrop.  The COST (-) as you said, is that you must stand  very far away (for full body shot) and model can't hardly hear you.

There is really no way around it.  While both Canon 17-55/2.8 & Sigma 18-35/1.8 can induce some background blur, I find their bokeh & subject isolation LACKING.  Backdrop still retain too much distracting details (not enough blur) to make the subject POP.

• If you want to take a Full Human Size body with Background Blur,
  • and you don't want to STAND very far away with a telephoto prime, 
  • then you're only realistic solution is a Fullframe Camera
  • Bigger sensor allow you to induce background blur @wider focal length

Have you consider Canon RP with RF 35mm f/1.8 STM IS Macro.  It a very affordable package and 35mm FF make it a great

GRphotos
Re: Human Size Bokeh @WIDE ANGLE = Fullframe advantage over APS-C

To induce 'adequate' human-size-body BOKEH using an APS-C sensor, you need to rely on a Longish Telephoto prime like 85mm to sufficiently suppressed the backdrop. The COST (-) as you said, is that you must stand very far away (for full body shot) and model can't hardly hear you.

There is really no way around it. While both Canon 17-55/2.8 & Sigma 18-35/1.8 can induce some background blur, I find their bokeh & subject isolation LACKING. Backdrop still retain too much distracting details (not enough blur) to make the subject POP.

• If you want to take a Full Human Size body with Background Blur,
  • and you don't want to STAND very far away with a telephoto prime,
  • then you're only realistic solution is a Fullframe Camera
  • Bigger sensor allow you to induce background blur @wider focal length

Have you consider Canon RP with RF 35mm f/1.8 STM IS Macro. It a very affordable package and 35mm FF make it a great

yes i have considered a Canon EOS full frame, ill get one next year and i do  regret giving up my heavy 5dmkiii rig.

Im looking at lenses like the 7artisans or the Kamlan 50mm 1.1, but they are not clean.

I am still confused about the AP-C conversion, for example, i got Canon m50 kit lens with the 15-45mm, i shot a video with it at 45mm and compared it to the Canon 50mm 1.8 on a viltrox speedbooster and the Canon 50mm was wider...snot right is it?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 2,096
Re: Human Size Bokeh @WIDE ANGLE = Fullframe advantage over APS-C

50/1.7=29.4mm on crop which is wider than 45mm on crop.

-- hide signature --

If your facts are different we could save the peace just by calling it copy to copy variation.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads