Years old discussions about internal drives

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 8,458
Years old discussions about internal drives

It’s not about storage capacity but the robustness of SATA  connectors. I have had drive docks fail but they are a cheap way of putting internal hard disks outside for external use. I never had the SATA connections break but they could?

I don’t hear much the external drive docks now? Also static might be a concern.

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi

XiaoDeer Forum Member • Posts: 68
Re: Years old discussions about internal drives

wklee wrote:

It’s not about storage capacity but the robustness of SATA connectors. I have had drive docks fail but they are a cheap way of putting internal hard disks outside for external use. I never had the SATA connections break but they could?

Yep, those SATA connectors are a tad vulnerable. But they seem to hold up well if you handle them with great care.

I have half a dozen bare drives that I use for backup via a USB3 dock. No failures so far and I've been using this system for over 2 years.

Robert Zanatta Senior Member • Posts: 1,372

A few months ago I purchased a USB 3 external dock and have been very happy with it.   Sustained transfer rate is 175MB/sec, and random transfer rates is pretty quick.   I was expecting mediocre performance,  but it's better than the eSATA dock it replaced.

Robert Zanatta's gear list:Robert Zanatta's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,454

wklee wrote:

It’s not about storage capacity but the robustness of SATA connectors. I have had drive docks fail but they are a cheap way of putting internal hard disks outside for external use. I never had the SATA connections break but they could?

What's the specific problem here?

-- hide signature --

John

OP wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 8,458

I had a few external docks, just by having them lying around just die. The hard disks seemed OK but I have not accessed the data for 2 or more years. The docks simply failed.

-- hide signature --

Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

woodyggg Contributing Member • Posts: 884

wklee wrote:

okay.

what's your point? it's not clear...

woodyggg's gear list:woodyggg's gear list
Sony a7R III Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +5 more
jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,454

wklee wrote:

I had a few external docks, just by having them lying around just die. The hard disks seemed OK but I have not accessed the data for 2 or more years. The docks simply failed.

Still don't understand what your question or problem is.

-- hide signature --

John

WryCuda Veteran Member • Posts: 8,863

wklee wrote:

With reasonable care, can't see why there would be a reliability issue, since the same SATA and Power connectors are used whether the HDD was in a caddy or mounted in the normal manner. The older style of removeable connector may have been a different matter, when PATA was the go.

The cooling fan in the caddy sometimes get noisy, and I can envisage this needing replacement eventually. The lock/switch should last forever.

I've used SATA drives in removeable bays for a long time with no reliability issues. At various stages, the removeable drive caddy held either the main data drive or a backup drive. I still have a legacy computer with a removeable bay and HDD caddy, but I haven't seen this type of thing in the shops for a few years, except for RAID setups.

External USB drives are popular these days, and have probably taken over from removeable bays. Most USB drives are small enough to sit unobtrusively either on the desk or on top of the computer case.

When using USB drives with my notebook computers, I fit a short a USB adapter to make the connection easier and to preserve the USB slot of the computer.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
tcg550 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,583

jfriend00 wrote:

wklee wrote:

Still don't understand what your question or problem is.

His dock failed from non use and he thinks the sata drive is the guilty party?

I have a couple docks that drives get put in and out of several times a week, no issues with the dock or the drives. The docks are the cheapest ones I could find on Amazon or when there's a sale at Micro Center.

My experience has been that sata drive connectors just work.

Ho72
Ho72 Senior Member • Posts: 1,830

wklee wrote:

From WD: eSATA and internal SATA cables and connectors cannot be used interchangeably. This is important since eSATA cables and connectors are designed for 5000 insertion and removal cycles while internal SATA cables and connectors are designed for only 50 insertion and removal cycles.

So SATA internal connectors are relatively flimsy. While I've not had one fail, it's obvious they're not designed for the long haul. While I can't imagine running up against the limit of 50 cycles on an internal drive, this might be a real concern with a dock unless the manufacturer has modified the reference design.

Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,130

XiaoDeer wrote:

I have half a dozen bare drives that I use for backup via a USB3 dock. No failures so far and I've been using this system for over 2 years.

I bought a USB 3.0 dock for backups to my bare SATA drives 9 years ago.  I've been inserting and removing drives 2 or 3 times a week since then, so it's seen over 1000 drive swaps.  I've never had any issues with the dock or the drives.  Of course I take care when inserting the drives, and I place a cover over the opening of the dock when it's not in use to keep dust out.

LordKOTL
LordKOTL Senior Member • Posts: 1,190

wklee wrote:

I had a SATA connector fail once, but it was because I did an ID-ten-T error and knocked the cable from the side, snapping the plastic off into the cable.  Still worked, but I got the data off of it as quick as I could.

Honestly nowadays enclosures, especially USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 enclosures are so cheap, and tool-less, that I wouldn't use a toaster-style dock anymore...but that's just me.

-- hide signature --

There's no shame in using auto or semiauto modes--no matter what the salesdroids at Best Buy tell you.

LordKOTL's gear list:LordKOTL's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +3 more
Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,889
32 bit?

wklee wrote:

Note some external docks are 32-bit internally (as in use 32bit LBA adressing, not a 32-bit processor or anything) and won't work with larger capacity drives (>2TB), so may appear to have failed due to a more modern and larger drive being inserted.

I currently use one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00566QS9K
as my
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHARKOON-SATA-QuickPort-USB-inch/dp/B002Y17J52
was 32-bit and only worked with smaller (-ish) drives.

P.S. my new enclosure supports 64bit LBA adressing, but will still have an issue when drives get past 8ZiB (8 thousand million terabytes).

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +29 more
sludge21017
sludge21017 Senior Member • Posts: 1,601

they do start to feel loose at some point...

threw the lens
threw the lens Contributing Member • Posts: 620

I would be more concerned about whether the dock is REALLY stopping the drive with a stop command, or just by disconnecting the power.

You want the heads to disengage and then the drive to power down, not have the dock just disconnect the power and drop the heads on the disk. That creates slews of bad sectors very quickly.

I had some cheapo dock that could not respond to a soft unplug. It was only good for SSD.

Sean Nelson

LordKOTL wrote:

Honestly nowadays enclosures, especially USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 enclosures are so cheap, and tool-less, that I wouldn't use a toaster-style dock anymore...but that's just me.

A bare 3.5" drive "barely" fits into the safety deposit box at my bank - any kind of enclosure would prevent me from using it for offsite storage.  So SATA docks will be an important part of my computing ecosystem for the foreseeable future.

skyglider Veteran Member • Posts: 5,043

Sean Nelson wrote:

XiaoDeer wrote:

I bought a USB 3.0 dock for backups to my bare SATA drives 9 years ago. I've been inserting and removing drives 2 or 3 times a week since then, so it's seen over 1000 drive swaps. I've never had any issues with the dock or the drives. Of course I take care when inserting the drives, and I place a cover over the opening of the dock when it's not in use to keep dust out.

+1

Mirrors my experience, including placing a small piece of towel on top of the docks to keep dust out.  Never had any HDD problem with my two docks, nor has any of the 3 friends that bought docks to do backups at my recommendation.

The power on/off push button did die on one friend's dock but that was easily repaired by replacing it with a mini toggle switch.  No HDD problem at all.

Sky

LordKOTL
LordKOTL Senior Member • Posts: 1,190

Sean Nelson wrote:

LordKOTL wrote:

A bare 3.5" drive "barely" fits into the safety deposit box at my bank - any kind of enclosure would prevent me from using it for offsite storage. So SATA docks will be an important part of my computing ecosystem for the foreseeable future.

Gotcha.  I take it that moving to a 2.5" drive solution for your backup drives is out of the question as well?  I mention that because of the form factor and that they can be powered directly from USB rather than needing a wall wart.

However, they do make straight plug-in (as opposed to toaster style) docks (https://www.amazon.com/Unitek-Adapter-Converter-Universal-Optical/dp/B06WWLCYC3/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=SATA+to+usb+3+connector&qid=1555952769&s=gateway&sr=8-6 )

Which might or might not be an option.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

There's no shame in using auto or semiauto modes--no matter what the salesdroids at Best Buy tell you.

LordKOTL's gear list:LordKOTL's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +3 more
Sean Nelson

LordKOTL wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

LordKOTL wrote:

A bare 3.5" drive "barely" fits into the safety deposit box at my bank...

Gotcha. I take it that moving to a 2.5" drive solution for your backup drives is out of the question as well?

I'd need one that holds 8 TBytes...

OP wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 8,458
LBA and Hard Disks, SSDs

I totally forgot about LBA. 3.5” still has bigger capacity than 2.5”. It looks like 2.5” drives may not catch up. SSDs are, for TB comparison much more expensive.

-- hide signature --

Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads