GPS Data Logger Date Error

Started Apr 17, 2019 | Discussions
Michael W00d Senior Member • Posts: 1,036
GPS Data Logger Date Error

For some years I have used a Canway GT-730FL data logger to record GPS tracks for location tagging my photos via Geosetter. Just returned from a week’s trip to discover the tracks all have an incorrect date viz. August 1999. However the times of day are correct. Everything was OK back on 2nd April.

The date error makes the data unsuitable for tagging photos. So I bought a new copy and loaded the new software, only to discover the dates are again all wrong (1999-09-01 for today’s capture).

Has anyone else experienced this? I wonder whether it is caused by Google Earth’s new charging system. The Canway mapping system functions OK; just a date error in the tracks.

Michael W00d's gear list:Michael W00d's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Fred Colon Forum Member • Posts: 93
Re: GPS Data Logger Date Error

It looks like your GPS logger has been affected by the GPS week reset/rollover similar to the Y2K problem. There are only 10 bits available for the number of weeks and the latest reset/rollover date was April 6th or there abouts. Previously the reset date was August 1999.

Fred Colon's gear list:Fred Colon's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
OP Michael W00d Senior Member • Posts: 1,036

Thanks Fred, that's interesting. I confess I know little or nothing about the subject, but would that be corrected by an updated operating software? The current software is, I think, dated 2014.

By the way, the last OK operation was early April 2019 and the incorrect dates were August 1999 dates, all in line with your hypothesis.

Michael

Sony RX100 III Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,801

Michael W00d wrote:

Thanks Fred, that's interesting. I confess I know little or nothing about the subject, but would that be corrected by an updated operating software? The current software is, I think, dated 2014.

By the way, the last OK operation was early April 2019 and the incorrect dates were August 1999 dates, all in line with your hypothesis.

Michael

Contact the manufacturer to see if there's a firmware update. But most manufacturers addressed this quite a while ago. And try this: http://canadagps.com/blog/2019/04/13/if-you-have-canmore-gt-730fl-s-gt-740fl-or-gt-750fl-gps-logger-please-download-the-latest-canway-software-below-which-has-been-fixed-for-the-april-2019-gps-week-number-rolloverwnro-issue/

There are reports elsewhere on DPR about other GPS failures, usually trackers.

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

Contact the manufacturer to see if there's a firmware update. But most manufacturers addressed this quite a while ago. And try this: http://canadagps.com/blog/2019/04/13/if-you-have-canmore-gt-730fl-s-gt-740fl-or-gt-750fl-gps-logger-please-download-the-latest-canway-software-below-which-has-been-fixed-for-the-april-2019-gps-week-number-rolloverwnro-issue/

There are reports elsewhere on DPR about other GPS failures, usually trackers.

Rob

Thank you so very much for this extremely helpful advice. I tried the link, downloaded the zip file and it worked 100% successfully on my Canway 730FL. So everything solved. A whole week's worth of tracks is now useable and I can keep on tracking with my (now 2) trackers!

Fred Colon Forum Member • Posts: 93

Good to hear you'r back working again.  I'd actually forgotten about this so went to check the GPS function on my Canon 7D2 and fortunately it' still working correctly.

Fred Colon's gear list:Fred Colon's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Stephen_M New Member • Posts: 10

I've encountered the same thing with my Canway GT-730FL. I first noticed this with a track recorded on 2019-04-13, which it presented as 1999-08-28. (I simply did a global edit in the gpx file I downloaded from the device, changing 1999-08-28 to 2019-04-13.)

I wasn't sure if the device had thrown a wobbly, so took another test track on 2019-04-17, which it recorded as 1999-09-01. I noticed the incorrect date was keeping track with the real date, so suspected there was a systemic error here.

Anyway, it's now been explained.

However, I do still have one question: the canadagps.com site which supplies the Canway_20190411.zip file which contains the updated software to install provides version 1.1.09 of the CanWay application. The version I had on my PC was 1.1.12. Also, 1.1.12 is the version shown as "latest" on the Canway site, but dated as 03 Nov 2016. (https://canway.software.informer.com/download/ )

So, it's a mystery to me how the update appears to be a back-level version of the software! (Perhaps it's packed with an updated version of the USB driver?)

Stephen_M's gear list:Stephen_M's gear list
Canon PowerShot A2000 IS Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS M3 +4 more

Stephen_M wrote:

However, I do still have one question: the canadagps.com site which supplies the Canway_20190411.zip file which contains the updated software to install provides version 1.1.09 of the CanWay application. The version I had on my PC was 1.1.12. Also, 1.1.12 is the version shown as "latest" on the Canway site, but dated as 03 Nov 2016. (https://canway.software.informer.com/download/ )

Yes, I noticed that anomaly as well. In fact I found another ‘Canway’ site https://canway.software.informer.com/1.1/

dated 15 February 2019 which I also tried before the Canadian advice. The driver there was also the 1.1.12 version and it failed to correct the problem.
Still, the Canadian version does the trick. I notice that many of its components are dated 08/04/2019 by the way, so it’s pretty new.

Stephen_M New Member • Posts: 10

The software packaged in the export_2019-04-19_12-30.zip file on that canadagps web site seems to have fixed the incorrect date for me, based on two tracks recorded on my logger today: 2019-04-19  was correctly reported for both.

It's nice to know I could potentially get another 20 years' use out of my logger! I'd be very surprised if a further software update will be available for it then!

Stephen_M's gear list:Stephen_M's gear list
Canon PowerShot A2000 IS Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS M3 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads