RX1: is there an informed view about whether or when a new model will come?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Mark B UK Senior Member • Posts: 1,610
RX1: is there an informed view about whether or when a new model will come?

I'm tempted to get a high end compact with a fixed focal length lens. The Leica Q2 is tempting but expensive. The Fuji X100F and Sony RX1RII have been out some time and omit technologies available elsewhere in their makers' line-ups. The Sony, if updated with features in the A7RIII, would probably be many best option. But will it happen, and when? Any inside info rather than speculation would be especially helpful.

Mark B UK's gear list:Mark B UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 25mm F1.2 Samsung Galaxy S9+
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X100F Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 2,257
Re: RX1: is there an informed view about whether or when a new model will come?

There's been totally uninformed speculation about it for the last eighteen months but nothing resembling anything realistic. We simply don't know if or when it will happen.

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X30
PhilthePhrame
PhilthePhrame Contributing Member • Posts: 583

This claims to be "inside" info, but I wouldn't count on it:

https://www.sonyrumors.co/tag/sony-rx1r-iii/

PhilthePhrame's gear list:PhilthePhrame's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Sony a6000 Sony a7R III +17 more
Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 2,257

Scrolling down that page to see the failed RX1 III announcements is entertaining.

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X30
Xavios New Member • Posts: 8

In situations like this, corporate non-communication is an obstacle.

If they're developing an update model, they do not wish reveal information of because it would hurt sales of RX1R II.

However, I am holding back buying R II, because with my luck they would then announce the new model next week.

Can't win

OP Mark B UK Senior Member • Posts: 1,610

Thanks everyone. Seems there's no clear steer, which makes me think either there won't be a mk3 or it's a little way off still.

Mark B UK's gear list:Mark B UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 25mm F1.2 Samsung Galaxy S9+
Vitriol Forum Member • Posts: 53

Xavios wrote:

In situations like this, corporate non-communication is an obstacle.

If they're developing an update model, they do not wish reveal information of because it would hurt sales of RX1R II.

That would be stupid from Sony.

People who care about their wallet will not buy a RX1R mark II, it is definitely too old, and has its own limitations.

People who dont care about their wallet already bought a Leica Q or planning to buy a Q2.

Added to the fact that :

- Sony does not advertise the RX1

- Sony never released firmwares for the RX1/RX1R/mark II

All these makes a very bad brand image for Sony and its Cybershot line of product.

Similarly Sony would be quite stupid to think that people disappointed by the Cybershot products will jump in the Alpha wagoon....

Vitriol's gear list:Vitriol's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Leica M9 +7 more
Xavios New Member • Posts: 8

I see your point, except I do not see how not releasing firmware updates is a bad thing:

They are mainly to fix software errors in the core level, not to introduce new features.

Nowadays when everything is released half-baked, RX1r II looks to have a solid firmware. And it's still sexy as hell.

My only concern with its "age" is the speed it can display RAW photos on its screen: Would it be disturbingly slow, or something that one can easily live with.

Vitriol Forum Member • Posts: 53

Xavios wrote:

I see your point, except I do not see how not releasing firmware updates is a bad thing:

They are mainly to fix software errors in the core level, not to introduce new features.

Nowadays when everything is released half-baked, RX1r II looks to have a solid firmware. And it's still sexy as hell.

My only concern with its "age" is the speed it can display RAW photos on its screen: Would it be disturbingly slow, or something that one can easily live with.

Sony also releases close-to-ready products, like the other brands.

They could work on the issues reported since RX1Rii was released (cf. DPR's review):

• Atrocious battery life
  • Autofocus modes could be simplified
  • Sluggish performance when reviewing images
  • MENU SYSTEM NEEDS A REFRESH

Compared to Leica Q, which got some major FW updates during its shelf-life :

https://www.dpreview.com/news/0386227443/leica-improves-q-functionality-with-firmware-2-0

As far I know, the RX1r2 does not even include in-camera timelapse mode, and Sony did not spend the effort to support it. In comparison, the Sony A7/A9 got firmware updates with improvements and  new features. But like i wrote, people disappointed at the RX1 will not jump to a different product line, they'll just jump to another camera maker.

Vitriol's gear list:Vitriol's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Leica M9 +7 more
stkn
stkn Regular Member • Posts: 273

And those who are not disappointed will continue to use with pleasure this great camera...

stkn's gear list:stkn's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX100 III Sony RX1R II Ricoh GXR Mount A12
travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,397

Interesting, I hadn't seen that rumor. I went to a Sony event and one presenter said he couldn't speak about it, but that he'd want to see a Sony RX1R3 be basically the same as the 2 but with improved AF and the new battery... which made me think he was saying 'this is what we'll get.' I loved the RX1R1 - sold it and never bought the 2, but would also look hard at the 3. I wonder if Sony wants to give Zeiss a good 6 month buffer for the ZX1.

-- hide signature --
 travelinbri_74's gear list:travelinbri_74's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads