Sigma plug-in for Photoshop

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Dark slide Contributing Member • Posts: 632
Sigma plug-in for Photoshop

How are forum members getting on with this plug-in? It's coming up on 4 months since Sigma made it available.

Iconoscope
Iconoscope Regular Member • Posts: 409
Re: Sigma plug-in for Photoshop

The plugin only works for DNG format files, so has very limited usefulness.

Iconoscope's gear list:Iconoscope's gear list
Sigma DP2s Kodak DCS Pro 14n Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 +6 more
motionride Regular Member • Posts: 174

Iconoscope wrote:

I´m sorry but this is false information.

The plug-in is for X3F files for Merrills and Quattros.

You still have very rudamentary controls but once you import them using this plug-in you´ve got all the power of Photoshop to work on your images.

However, without a decent image browser, this is mostly a guessing game which files to open.

Quality wise, you get the same image quality as you can get from SPP.
Speed wise, there is no improvement over SPP (for opening the files). Once you´ve opened it however, the image is basically baked and you can manipulate it within the constrains of 16 bit + whatever Color profile you use.

I unfortunately/fortunately, prefer the use of SPP as an all in one RAW developer with additional editing in procreate/affinity on the iPad Pro, once I transfer the files to it.

Have a great day everyone,

Jan

motionride's gear list:motionride's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 +19 more
Iconoscope
Iconoscope Regular Member • Posts: 409

Took a few minutes to figure out to do this! I just tried this using the "import X3F" function in Photoshop.  The only adjustment available was "fill light".  Far better to open in SPP then open the saved file in PS.

Iconoscope's gear list:Iconoscope's gear list
Sigma DP2s Kodak DCS Pro 14n Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 +6 more
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 12,449

Iconoscope wrote:

Took a few minutes to figure out to do this! I just tried this using the "import X3F" function in Photoshop. The only adjustment available was "fill light". Far better to open in SPP then open the saved file in PS.

I can imagine, but for people who don't even want to try to use SPP, I can understand that the plugin woud be a good option - probably better than just shooting in DNG mode.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
http://www.bigprintphotos.com

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +21 more
larryj Forum Pro • Posts: 10,654

motionride wrote:

Iconoscope wrote:

I´m sorry but this is false information.

The plug-in is for X3F files for Merrills and Quattros.

You still have very rudamentary controls but once you import them using this plug-in you´ve got all the power of Photoshop to work on your images.

However, without a decent image browser, this is mostly a guessing game which files to open.

If you shoot raw and jpeg you can select the file you want with out any guess work.

I like going directly into PS and camera raw 😎

Quality wise, you get the same image quality as you can get from SPP.
Speed wise, there is no improvement over SPP (for opening the files). Once you´ve opened it however, the image is basically baked and you can manipulate it within the constrains of 16 bit + whatever Color profile you use.

I unfortunately/fortunately, prefer the use of SPP as an all in one RAW developer with additional editing in procreate/affinity on the iPad Pro, once I transfer the files to it.

Have a great day everyone,

Jan

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
larryj
If you can see the light, you can photograph it
Quote from Myron Woods

larryj's gear list:larryj's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +1 more
dellaaa
dellaaa Contributing Member • Posts: 950

As said, you only have fill light option, but then ACR opens the image and you have all the raw functionality.   I haven't compared the TIFFs

dellaaa's gear list:dellaaa's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Sigma SD1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 +6 more
josepmg Junior Member • Posts: 33

For me the way to work with the plug-in is the following:

1. Execute SPP and PS at the same time.
2. Open the X3F to process in SPP
3. Process it
4. Save the settings (round button "X3")
5. Open the X3F in PS with the plug-in using the option "import X3F"
6. Repeat 3,4,5 as many times as needed.

This allows you to have infinite PS versions of your X3F and a single file.

-- hide signature --
Roland_d Regular Member • Posts: 313
Re: Sigma plug-in for Photoshop... and "guessing game"

not sure what you meant by "guessing game"

I use "FastPictureViewer" Codec (9.99$ USD)

no "guessing game"  when choosing a X3F file since the viewer works within PS / Import / X3F Plugin

You can view the embedded JPG in the X3F and even choose bertween 4 display size

rd

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads