Fuji 100-400mm alternatives

Started 6 months ago | Questions
OP wontor07 New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Fuji 100-400mm alternatives

So, yet another vote for fuji 100-400

PF511 Regular Member • Posts: 171
Re: Fuji 100-400mm alternatives

wontor07 wrote:

Birdwatching and sport (cycling, football, rugby). The 55-200 for football and rugby is not too bad but 100-400 would give more options. Birdwatching is really frustrating with the 55-200 - it's just a tad too short. I've managed to get some good shots with the 55-200 but I have missed many opportunities... just!

Fringer plus the Sigma 100-400 or Tamron 100-400. Both lenses are sharp, usable and half the price.  Not sure why no one else brought this up.

Matt Fulghum
Matt Fulghum Contributing Member • Posts: 962
another vote for the 100-400

this truly is a case of buy once cry once; you can soften the sting a little by getting it through a reputable second hand dealer.

All of these were shot with that lens in the last two days, either at or close to full extension.  After seeing what Jerry and Baobob are doing with that 1.4x TC, I really wish I'd had one with me, especially for the skimmer.

admission time: I spotted this cara cara, but had to get my wife to shoot it because I was driving while she and my dad were shooting.   unusual to see one this far north and east.

-- hide signature --

I may have a Fuji problem - send money.

Matt Fulghum's gear list:Matt Fulghum's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +5 more
dampier1 Junior Member • Posts: 43
Wait for Fujifilm Lens Sale

If memory serves me right, I believe they knock $400 off of that lens when they have their lens sale. I think a few times a year.

dampier1's gear list:dampier1's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 13,990
Re: another vote for the 100-400

Matt Fulghum wrote:

this truly is a case of buy once cry once; you can soften the sting a little by getting it through a reputable second hand dealer.

All of these were shot with that lens in the last two days, either at or close to full extension. After seeing what Jerry and Baobob are doing with that 1.4x TC, I really wish I'd had one with me, especially for the skimmer.

admission time: I spotted this cara cara, but had to get my wife to shoot it because I was driving while she and my dad were shooting. unusual to see one this far north and east.

Very nice work, Matt.  Can you ID the last bird?  Looks like something maybe in the heron family, but with unusual coloration.

The 1.4 TC is an super worthwhile investment when you can manage it.  I continue to be amazed at how little impact it has on the overall IQ.  Alas, the 2.0 TC didn't quite measure up in that respect, thought I've seen somewhat better examples posted here than I was able to take while I was evaluating it.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 13,591

About the 2x TC with the 100-400mm

I habe been successful (and posted) to shoot minute details very sharp, in ideal light conditions, same with the moon.

That said the big enemy of the 2xTC is distance over 20m and haze (linked a bit together in addition ..) which results in a hazy unrecoverable shot

OTOH in best conditions it shows a bit more details than 1.4TC  I would say it is useful to reveal very small details including feathers for small targets not too far (20-30m) with very good atmosphere and light.

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
baobob
the 100-400 with the 2xTC

What you can expect  in very good conditions :

distance 50m  brilliant sun in the frame

distance 40m

40m in the shade partially

-- hide signature --

Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
Geekapoo
Geekapoo Senior Member • Posts: 2,071

Jerry-astro wrote:

Very nice work, Matt. Can you ID the last bird? Looks like something maybe in the heron family, but with unusual coloration.

Jerry...that is a reddish egret.

Geekapoo's gear list:Geekapoo's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
Jerry-astro

Geekapoo wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

Very nice work, Matt. Can you ID the last bird? Looks like something maybe in the heron family, but with unusual coloration.

Jerry...that is a reddish egret.

Thanks... very cool.  Never seen one, but am a big fan of herons and egrets (mostly Blue Herons and white Egrets here in the Pac NW).  Very nicely done and appreciate the follow up.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 14,143

Jerry-astro wrote:

Matt Fulghum wrote:

Reddish egrets are plentiful on the Southwest Florida Gulf coast. Quite comical to watch when feeding in the shallows and tide pools. They do quite the dance and use their wings to create shadows on the water to reduce glare to better see fish.

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +8 more
Jerry-astro

rwbaron wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

Matt Fulghum wrote:

Reddish egrets are plentiful on the Southwest Florida Gulf coast. Quite comical to watch when feeding in the shallows and tide pools. They do quite the dance and use their wings to create shadows on the water to reduce glare to better see fish.

Thanks for that. Terrific shots. I’m pretty sure that particular species is not to be found in this part of the country and I don’t recall having seen images of it posted here previously.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

baobob

Superb series ! +1

-- hide signature --

Geekapoo

rwbaron wrote:

rwbaron,

Nice description of the bird. They are very feisty/active when feeding. Here is one taken last month with one of my non-Fuji cameras (*gasp* :-D) that captures use of the wings. I particularly like the shot as it captures the ripple reflection of the sun off of the water, reflected onto the underside of the wings.

Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
jrk
jrk Senior Member • Posts: 2,801

Now you've gone and done it, I'm going to have get the 100-400!  Great shots.

I'm all over it next lens sale...

-- hide signature --

We all have wings
Some of us don't know why
-INXS-

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-H1 +12 more
Symtex Contributing Member • Posts: 642

jrk wrote:

Now you've gone and done it, I'm going to have get the 100-400! Great shots.

you knew this was going to happen when you started the post. You can click on my flickr account in my signature. I have an XT-2 album with the 100-400mm picture in them.

-- hide signature --

Canon 5DS R, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Canon TSE-24m II, Fuji X-T2
Flickr : https://www.flickr.com/photos/fogboundturtle/

Symtex's gear list:Symtex's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EOS 5DS R Nikon Z7 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +8 more
Geekapoo

jrk wrote:

Now you've gone and done it, I'm going to have get the 100-400! Great shots.

LOL..the first two pics of the egret were taken a few weeks ago in Florida with my XT3 and the 55-200. Since then, I've bought the 100-400 and a 1.4x TE. I had to get the 100-400! Cheers.

Matt Fulghum
Matt Fulghum Contributing Member • Posts: 962

heh, due to my slowness, you've obviously gotten your answer from other sources, but thanks for the shout-out!  These were all from Galveston Island State Park.  I've seen at least three species of Egret, GBHs and LBHs, and a host of raptor species, mostly little guys that eat insects.  FWIW, the Texas gulf coast in april is worth a visit for birding.

-- hide signature --

I may have a Fuji problem - send money.

Matt Fulghum's gear list:Matt Fulghum's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads