Commlite HS Canon EF to A7R II?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
OP alpshiker Regular Member • Posts: 455
Re: Commlite HS Canon EF to A7R II?

voronspb wrote:

I've owned all three: MBV, CM EF-E HS and MC-11. There's no such thing as a perfect adapter. Neither is 100% equivalent to native glass. And also it may happen that you'll need both MBV and MC-11 to ensure the optimum operation of all your EF lenses.

For example, MBV works quite poorly with EF8-15L (and it's not about the shimming), while MC-11 is fine with that lens (minus IBIS). On the other hand, MC-11 doesn't allow using Tamron 70-300 SP (camera displays F--), while its support in MBV is present (though limited at telephoto end).

Commlite EF-E HS may be fine with certain lenses, but with that adapter I experienced camera freezing at times, and also its list of supported lenses isn't that large. With unsupported lenses it uses extremely slow CDAF. Also the mount on adapter is a bit loose.

I'd strongly recommend starting from MC-11 (look for discounts when its price is as low as 150$), having in mind that it may not work with every lens you have, and you may need MBV.

Probably a good advice, Vladimir. Thanks for it.

The best deal locally is actually 240$ for the MC-11 and 420$ for MB-V.

The Commlite is 120$ from China. It's list of supported lenses is impressive, but the 4.0/ 16-35 and the 100-400 lack. Do you think that at least the opening would operate? The 100-400 seems to be ill supported by all adapters anyway.

Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,248
Re: Commlite HS Canon EF to A7R II?
1

alpshiker wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your constructive inputs.

As you mentioned:

“Anyway, the meaning of "better adapter" is hard to define. First their performance is a moving target, substantially changing between adapter FW updates, camera models (and their FW updates), the lenses being used and camera settings, not to mention the different modes the Metabones adapter can use.”

That's why I mentioned that particular Commlite model with the latest FW, in case someone was using it with the A7rII and could comment on it.

Now, I'd be considering either the Metabones V or the MC-11 if there are real plusses, and it looks like there are. But what do you mean exactly by “shimming”, talking about the Metabones? I first thought that corners had to be filed not to vignette, but as I understand it now, it's a matter of shortening the whole assembly by a few microns? But how you do that? Do you resort to precision machining, or just sanding-filing some part?

Looking either at the MC-11, or the MB-V, would anyone report success using it on A7RII with Canon EF :

4.0/16-35 (Captura, thanks for your good report)

1.4/ 35mm

1.4/ 50mm

1.8/ 85mm

1.2/ 85mm M1

2.0/ 135 w and wo 1,4x extender

100-400 M1

Thanks so far

Paul

I have the MC-11 and like it a lot. I bought it over the Metabones, primarily because the price, and at that time, 2015 i think, Metabones seem to have some reports of crashing. I think that problem has been corrected.

I don't have any problem with hesitation of focus as someone reported.

These are the Canon lenses I have used with the MC-11, no difficulty, except the one anomaly reported below:

EF 85 f2

EF 100 f2

EF 200 f2

EF 135 f2

EF 17-40

Anomaly: On the EF 135 and EF 200, the AF will not focus at the edges of the PD focus frame area of the A7rii - they will focus in the center and midway between the center and edges, but not adjacent to the edges. On the EF 85 and EF 100 that is not a problem.

If someone is having no problem focusing near the edges of these lenses, i.e. the 135 and 200, i would be glad to hear of it - perhaps its time for me to update the firmware - its been awhile since i've done that.

-- hide signature --

Phil B

 Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +3 more
Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,248
Re: Commlite HS Canon EF to A7R II?

A coupla years ago at one of the shows, the Sigma CEO gave a very interesting speech and remarked that the MC-11 was a result of several requests by friends who were interesting in using their Canon lenses on the Sony cameras.  So it was specifically built for that conversion purpose, but i don't think the company wanted to deal with the complaints about it not working with this lens or that lens.

I've also read a while back that the MC-11 is more reliable with the Canon EF lenses themselves than the 3rd party mfr lenses like Tamron.  So i have stayed away from Tamron versions of EF lenses.  I wish i had the 3rd generation Sony cameras which reportedly provide all the focus modes for these adapted lenses, but its not that much of a problem using the MC-11 for me to spend the money.

The reason i tried so many Canon prime lenses, recently, is i wanted the longest prime which would still compactly fit into a smallish bag with my Tamron zoom.  The Canon 200 f2.8 was a sweet lens but too heavy, too narrow a view area for me to be comfortable.  The Canon 135 f2 seems to fit what i wanted perfectly.  Also have to mention the Canon 100 f2 which is even lighter/smaller and very nice - but too close to the Tamron zoom range, 28-75.

-- hide signature --

Phil B

 Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +3 more
OP alpshiker Regular Member • Posts: 455
Re: Commlite HS Canon EF to A7R II?

Philnw2 wrote:

I have the MC-11 and like it a lot. I bought it over the Metabones, primarily because the price, and at that time, 2015 i think, Metabones seem to have some reports of crashing. I think that problem has been corrected.

I don't have any problem with hesitation of focus as someone reported.

These are the Canon lenses I have used with the MC-11, no difficulty, except the one anomaly reported below:

EF 85 f2

EF 100 f2

EF 200 f2

EF 135 f2

EF 17-40

Anomaly: On the EF 135 and EF 200, the AF will not focus at the edges of the PD focus frame area of the A7rii - they will focus in the center and midway between the center and edges, but not adjacent to the edges. On the EF 85 and EF 100 that is not a problem.

If someone is having no problem focusing near the edges of these lenses, i.e. the 135 and 200, i would be glad to hear of it - perhaps its time for me to update the firmware - its been awhile since i've done that.

Thanks Phil. Is your 85mm the 1.8 ? That would be two of my items with the 135.

I also have the 1.2/ 85 first generation. On my old King branded adapter, it hunts back and forwards and never stops, but at least it can be focussed manually. I wish I knew if either the MB and MC-11 would take it to a new life, if someone has tested.

OP alpshiker Regular Member • Posts: 455
Re: Commlite HS Canon EF to A7R II?

The reason i tried so many Canon prime lenses, recently, is i wanted the longest prime which would still compactly fit into a smallish bag with my Tamron zoom. The Canon 200 f2.8 was a sweet lens but too heavy, too narrow a view area for me to be comfortable. The Canon 135 f2 seems to fit what i wanted perfectly. Also have to mention the Canon 100 f2 which is even lighter/smaller and very nice - but too close to the Tamron zoom range, 28-75.

The 135 f2 is indeed a terrific lens for the perspective, background blur and soft feel it produces.

Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,248
Re: Commlite HS Canon EF to A7R II?

alpshiker wrote:

Philnw2 wrote:

I have the MC-11 and like it a lot. I bought it over the Metabones, primarily because the price, and at that time, 2015 i think, Metabones seem to have some reports of crashing. I think that problem has been corrected.

I don't have any problem with hesitation of focus as someone reported.

These are the Canon lenses I have used with the MC-11, no difficulty, except the one anomaly reported below:

EF 85 f2

EF 100 f2

EF 200 f2

EF 135 f2

EF 17-40

Anomaly: On the EF 135 and EF 200, the AF will not focus at the edges of the PD focus frame area of the A7rii - they will focus in the center and midway between the center and edges, but not adjacent to the edges. On the EF 85 and EF 100 that is not a problem.

If someone is having no problem focusing near the edges of these lenses, i.e. the 135 and 200, i would be glad to hear of it - perhaps its time for me to update the firmware - its been awhile since i've done that.

Thanks Phil. Is your 85mm the 1.8 ? That would be two of my items with the 135.

I also have the 1.2/ 85 first generation. On my old King branded adapter, it hunts back and forwards and never stops, but at least it can be focussed manually. I wish I knew if either the MB and MC-11 would take it to a new life, if someone has tested.

Yep, my EF 85 is f1.8.  Don't know about the 1.2 85, that might be a fun lens to have

The EF 135 focuses very quickly with adequate light, one can tell Canon put extra juice in it.  by the way, i'm using AFc these days, holding down the eye focus button till i pop the shutter.

-- hide signature --

Phil B

 Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +3 more
Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,248
Re: Commlite HS Canon EF to A7R II?

alpshiker wrote:

The reason i tried so many Canon prime lenses, recently, is i wanted the longest prime which would still compactly fit into a smallish bag with my Tamron zoom. The Canon 200 f2.8 was a sweet lens but too heavy, too narrow a view area for me to be comfortable. The Canon 135 f2 seems to fit what i wanted perfectly. Also have to mention the Canon 100 f2 which is even lighter/smaller and very nice - but too close to the Tamron zoom range, 28-75.

The 135 f2 is indeed a terrific lens for the perspective, background blur and soft feel it produces.

Yep, i've noticed that and enjoyed that.  One doesn't even have to be full open to enjoy that effect.

-- hide signature --

Phil B

 Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +3 more
OP alpshiker Regular Member • Posts: 455
Re: Commlite HS Canon EF to A7R II?

Philnw2 wrote:

Yep, my EF 85 is f1.8. Don't know about the 1.2 85, that might be a fun lens to have

Fun lens for sure but the most demanding. Lots of focus missed because of aging eyes. AF really helps when it works.

The EF 135 focuses very quickly with adequate light, one can tell Canon put extra juice in it. by the way, i'm using AFc these days, holding down the eye focus button till i pop the shutter.

I still have to explore the capabilities of the camera, coming from it's older sibling. Sounds fun!

OP alpshiker Regular Member • Posts: 455
Re: Commlite HS Canon EF to A7R II?

Philnw2 wrote:

alpshiker wrote:

The reason i tried so many Canon prime lenses, recently, is i wanted the longest prime which would still compactly fit into a smallish bag with my Tamron zoom. The Canon 200 f2.8 was a sweet lens but too heavy, too narrow a view area for me to be comfortable. The Canon 135 f2 seems to fit what i wanted perfectly. Also have to mention the Canon 100 f2 which is even lighter/smaller and very nice - but too close to the Tamron zoom range, 28-75.

The 135 f2 is indeed a terrific lens for the perspective, background blur and soft feel it produces.

Yep, i've noticed that and enjoyed that. One doesn't even have to be full open to enjoy that effect.

And adding a 1.4X extender even increases that effect with still good sharpness. Used on Canon so far because AF is critical.

OP alpshiker Regular Member • Posts: 455
Re: Commlite HS Canon EF to A7R II?

I got the MC-11 and quickly tested it this morning. That option seems to have been a very good choice! I just listed the lenses I own with their compatibility in another thread .

Thanks!
Paul

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads