Dust on sensor Ricoh GR III

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
123wait Junior Member • Posts: 28
Dust on sensor Ricoh GR III

Mentinoed this in my other thread, but thought I should just start a new thread. Any suggestions, appreciated.

Sad to say that I now have a dust spot on my Ricoh GR III. I was not shooting at blue sky at f/16. I was shooting macro of an orchid with less depth of field and noticed the spot.

The dust removal function did not remove the spot.

Anyone else having similar issues? Any fixes? Should I attempt the vacuum method?

I'm reluctant to return as I love the camera already.

Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
teemodk Senior Member • Posts: 1,275
Re: Dust on sensor Ricoh GR III

Vacuum will not help. I would return it and buy a new.

teemodk's gear list:teemodk's gear list
Oppo R7 Plus
rondom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,136

123wait wrote:

Mentinoed this in my other thread, but thought I should just start a new thread. Any suggestions, appreciated.

Sad to say that I now have a dust spot on my Ricoh GR III. I was not shooting at blue sky at f/16. I was shooting macro of an orchid with less depth of field and noticed the spot.

Anyone else having similar issues? Any fixes? Should I attempt the vacuum method?

Can you please share a picture? White paper (or a clean wall) is the best test.

OP 123wait Junior Member • Posts: 28
photo attached

Here's a quick shot.

BUT exciting development! It moved! Slightly! Maybe a few more days and it'll move OFF the sensor! XD I'd be happy with that actually.

Re: photo attached

It moved to the right, in the right direction!

I take back my last reply. Too hopeful. Dust spot has now moved more towards the center of the sensor to the left.

Sal Baker Forum Pro • Posts: 11,490

123wait wrote:

I take back my last reply. Too hopeful. Dust spot has now moved more towards the center of the sensor to the left.

If you have a Sonicare vibrating toothbrush try holding the GR tightly next to it and see if it vibrates off.  Otherwise exchange it.  I have a 5-year old GR and GR II with no dust spits.  No reason you should have to put up with it in a new camera.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Ned-B
Ned-B Senior Member • Posts: 1,733

123wait wrote:

It moved to the right, in the right direction!

You didn’t mention this, but have you tried running the dust removal function? In addition to setting it for start up and shut down, you can execute it whenever you want.

I’d be interested to hear if this helps.

Ned-B's gear list:Ned-B's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
KevinWu Junior Member • Posts: 43

Can anyone tell me why GR2 or 3, a fixed lens camera can let dust onto its sensor so easily? The dust on the body or lens is another story and should matter less for the IQ.

Lessiter Regular Member • Posts: 104

Run the dust removal whilst pointing the camera down. Clearly it moves around, make it fall off the sensor. I've done it with a Pentax camera. Didn't have to do manual sensor cleaning.

rossuk Junior Member • Posts: 40

it's totally absurd and unacceptable that this still happens on a $900 fixed lens camera in 2019.

KevinWu wrote:

Can anyone tell me why GR2 or 3, a fixed lens camera can let dust onto its sensor so easily? The dust on the body or lens is another story and should matter less for the IQ.

There are few threads about this. One example here. I'm afraid GRIII is no better at protecting dust to go to the sensor, but I bet it will remove it again in most cases.
The sealing didn't work on my GR2. Now that the GRIII have a moving sensor it might have been even more difficult to effectively seal it. Ricoh should have learned the lesson by now though, one should think.

Oppo R7 Plus
mgm2 Contributing Member • Posts: 512

You mean like the $1,300 X100F

mgm2's gear list:mgm2's gear list
Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8
zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 4,782

Maybe this dust happened in the factory .

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more
Daedalus2000
Daedalus2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,290

123wait wrote:

I would return it and get a new one, or ask Ricoh to clean the sensor under warranty. Sometimes you get a spot from the factory, so better get a clean one.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

Yes, I've tried to execute the dust removal multiple times. Multiples of multiples. Holding the camera at an angle that might most likely help the dust off.

Yes, I've tried the Sonicare toothbrush.

Yes, I've tried "shaking" the camera lightly to see if the dust spot moves more. It's a stubborn spot that only moves when it wants to.

I'm sending this one back for a refund, and found another one in stock elsewhere.

Hope I can remember all the settings I saved

Will keep this thread updated.

123wait wrote:

Yes, I've tried to execute the dust removal multiple times. Multiples of multiples. Holding the camera at an angle that might most likely help the dust off.

Yes, I've tried "shaking" the camera lightly to see if the dust spot moves more. It's a stubborn spot that only moves when it wants to.

I'm sending this one back for a refund, and found another one in stock elsewhere.

disappointing. I bet DIY sensor cleaning (once the warranty period is over) will not be as simple and straightforward as GRI/II.

rondom wrote:

123wait wrote:

disappointing. I bet DIY sensor cleaning (once the warranty period is over) will not be as simple and straightforward as GRI/II.

Exactly. That's the main reason I would trade it for a new, that hopefully are not born with factory-dust. GR2 is fairly straightforward, but I wouldn't be happy to open GRIII. However, I am very curious to see the internals 

Oppo R7 Plus
Vitriol Forum Member • Posts: 53

123wait wrote:

Here's a quick shot.

BUT exciting development! It moved! Slightly! Maybe a few more days and it'll move OFF the sensor! XD I'd be happy with that actually.

Dummy question : based on the diameter, and the transparency, it seems to be further from the sensor. Could the dust be in the lens rather than on the sensor? It would explain why sensor vibration is not helping.

Vitriol's gear list:Vitriol's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Leica M9 +7 more

Vitriol wrote:

123wait wrote:

Here's a quick shot.

Dummy question : based on the diameter, and the transparency, it seems to be further from the sensor. Could the dust be in the lens rather than on the sensor? It would explain why sensor vibration is not helping.

actually this question brings up my ever growing curiosity about the new lens housing design. In old GR/GRII the lens used to sit in a socket which had a transparent window (green filter) separating sensor from the lens. see here:

https://3.img-dpreview.com/files/p/E~forums/61407190/8bf3cf25cd084bf288931c1d4401055e

If they retained the same design, the sensor vibration wouldn't help at instances where the dust enters through the gap between lens and body- and my guess is that's the main point of entry. So maybe they removed this window altogether?

And if so, this camera's interior will be full of debris after some use.

p.s. if 123wait could share a minimum aperture shot, we can know more about size location etc. Downside: 123wait could encounter more unpleasant surprises- more dust. (I would rather shoot a blank paper for proper evaluation)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads