Centon MyRaid

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
bodensee Regular Member • Posts: 121
Centon MyRaid

Good morning friends and colleagues1

Several years ago I bought a Centon MyRaid 5TB drive. One of the HDs is beeping loudly, in distress no doubt, and had red warning lights. I can't find the original booklet (it was a few years ago) and Centon no longer produce this model, or indeed any HDs other than SSDs.

Do I just replace the faulty HD and get on with it or is there some procedure I need to go through? It's set up so that it acts as a 4TB HD and if one HD goes down you do something. As you can tell I'm not awfully techy.

I have contacted Centon a day or so ago but to date have not had a reply and I really want to access some stuff on there.

Here's hoping!

-- hide signature --

Bodensee

PeterGuyton.com
PeterGuyton.com Senior Member • Posts: 2,348
Re: Centon MyRaid

bodensee wrote:

Good morning friends and colleagues1

Several years ago I bought a Centon MyRaid 5TB drive. One of the HDs is beeping loudly, in distress no doubt, and had red warning lights. I can't find the original booklet (it was a few years ago) and Centon no longer produce this model, or indeed any HDs other than SSDs.

Do I just replace the faulty HD and get on with it or is there some procedure I need to go through? It's set up so that it acts as a 4TB HD and if one HD goes down you do something. As you can tell I'm not awfully techy.

I have contacted Centon a day or so ago but to date have not had a reply and I really want to access some stuff on there.

Here's hoping!

Boy, it's hard to find anything on that "Myraid" unit.  Centon has clearly gotten out of the RAID/enclosure business, you can't even find a reference to "Myraid" in the search on their site.

Questions:

1) how many hard drives are in in the enclosure? I'm guessing 4.

2) do you know if it is running "raid 5" or "raid 1" or ???

3) is it functioning normally right now, even thought one disk is bad? Sounds like it is.

4) can you maybe post a picture of it where we can see the drives?

My gut says it's probably got four 1TB drives in RAID 5 configuration, but that's just a hunch.  If it's RAID 5, and you are lucky, you may be able to replace the bad drive with a new one of the same size and it will auto-rebuild .... if you are lucky.

WHAT I'D DO BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE... .is make sure you have a backup of the data on that array. If you have no backup, go buy a 4TB or larger Seagate external USB drive for $85 (or equivalent, here's one CLICK HERE) at the closest Staples or Best Buy hook it up and copy everything from that array on to the new drive.  (Note: if it is RAID 5 and a second drive fails , you will lose everything on that enclosure).

 PeterGuyton.com's gear list:PeterGuyton.com's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +11 more
OP bodensee Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: Centon MyRaid

PeterGuyton.com wrote:

bodensee wrote:

Good morning friends and colleagues1

Several years ago I bought a Centon MyRaid 5TB drive. One of the HDs is beeping loudly, in distress no doubt, and had red warning lights. I can't find the original booklet (it was a few years ago) and Centon no longer produce this model, or indeed any HDs other than SSDs.

Do I just replace the faulty HD and get on with it or is there some procedure I need to go through? It's set up so that it acts as a 4TB HD and if one HD goes down you do something. As you can tell I'm not awfully techy.

I have contacted Centon a day or so ago but to date have not had a reply and I really want to access some stuff on there.

Here's hoping!

Boy, it's hard to find anything on that "Myraid" unit. Centon has clearly gotten out of the RAID/enclosure business, you can't even find a reference to "Myraid" in the search on their site.

Questions:

1) how many hard drives are in in the enclosure? I'm guessing 4.

2) do you know if it is running "raid 5" or "raid 1" or ???

3) is it functioning normally right now, even thought one disk is bad? Sounds like it is.

4) can you maybe post a picture of it where we can see the drives?

My gut says it's probably got four 1TB drives in RAID 5 configuration, but that's just a hunch. If it's RAID 5, and you are lucky, you may be able to replace the bad drive with a new one of the same size and it will auto-rebuild .... if you are lucky.

WHAT I'D DO BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE... .is make sure you have a backup of the data on that array. If you have no backup, go buy a 4TB or larger Seagate external USB drive for $85 (or equivalent, here's one CLICK HERE) at the closest Staples or Best Buy hook it up and copy everything from that array on to the new drive. (Note: if it is RAID 5 and a second drive fails , you will lose everything on that enclosure).

Thanks for this. I've found nothing at all so far. I've attached a snap of the drives.

I'm going to try to back up in the morning. I assume it will be OK as it has mounted.

Centon MyRaid

-- hide signature --

Bodensee

OP bodensee Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: Centon MyRaid

Just an update. It will copy, great, five days apparently (not great) and it's beeping the whole time ( absolutely not great) and I cannot stop it beeping. Five days of this and I may go completely mad.

Beep beep beep beep roughly every second.

-- hide signature --

Bodensee

PeterGuyton.com
PeterGuyton.com Senior Member • Posts: 2,348
Re: Centon MyRaid

bodensee wrote:

Just an update. It will copy, great, five days apparently (not great) and it's beeping the whole time ( absolutely not great) and I cannot stop it beeping. Five days of this and I may go completely mad.

Beep beep beep beep roughly every second.

Trying to help here. My primary concern for you is trying to preserve your data.

Getting a backup of that array is a good thing, beep or no beep. But I have a lot of questions.....

The beep is , I assume, from the RAID, right? If I understand correctly, it's beeping because of the bad drive.

So the array has 5 drives (not four as I originally guessed), can you confirm they are all 1TB drives and that it is in fact RAID 5? or is that something you are not sure of?

Five days to copy is quite slow... Does it still say that or has the estimate dropped substantially now that the copy is fully underway?

I assume you have just under 4tb of data, can you confirm? (e.g right click on the drive and "get info"). There is a bottleneck somewhere (perhaps the old RAID enclosure is USB 2.0?).

The destination for the copy, what type of drive is that? Not sure what you got. My guess is that it's a USB 3.x drive and that the bottleneck is the old RAID enclosure.

One more question, do you have a TimeMachine backup of your setup that you didn't mention?

 PeterGuyton.com's gear list:PeterGuyton.com's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +11 more
dspoel
dspoel Regular Member • Posts: 299
Re: Centon MyRaid

Get a new 10 or 12 Tb external drive (or better 2 of them) and copy your stuff over. You'll get a faster system and more space and better data security.

-- hide signature --

David.

 dspoel's gear list:dspoel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +4 more
OP bodensee Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: Centon MyRaid

dspoel wrote:

Get a new 10 or 12 Tb external drive (or better 2 of them) and copy your stuff over. You'll get a faster system and more space and better data security.

I cannot but agree though at the moment it's not a possibility for money reasons. I do have any number of 1 & 2 & 4TB HDs. Something in the region of 26TB spread over about 10 drives. It kind of just grows and get's out of control.

-- hide signature --

Bodensee

OP bodensee Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: Centon MyRaid

PeterGuyton.com wrote:

bodensee wrote:

Just an update. It will copy, great, five days apparently (not great) and it's beeping the whole time ( absolutely not great) and I cannot stop it beeping. Five days of this and I may go completely mad.

Beep beep beep beep roughly every second.

Trying to help here. My primary concern for you is trying to preserve your data.

Getting a backup of that array is a good thing, beep or no beep. But I have a lot of questions.....

The beep is , I assume, from the RAID, right? If I understand correctly, it's beeping because of the bad drive.

So the array has 5 drives (not four as I originally guessed), can you confirm they are all 1TB drives and that it is in fact RAID 5? or is that something you are not sure of?

Five days to copy is quite slow... Does it still say that or has the estimate dropped substantially now that the copy is fully underway?

I assume you have just under 4tb of data, can you confirm? (e.g right click on the drive and "get info"). There is a bottleneck somewhere (perhaps the old RAID enclosure is USB 2.0?).

The destination for the copy, what type of drive is that? Not sure what you got. My guess is that it's a USB 3.x drive and that the bottleneck is the old RAID enclosure.

One more question, do you have a TimeMachine backup of your setup that you didn't mention?

Please accept my apologies, I've been out a lot this week and missed this completely. Many thanks for your detailed reply.

5x 1TB drives yes. I'm sure but not certain, Typical, that it is a RAID 5. I left it for three hours and it kept going up.

Yes I think the RAID drive is USB 2 and yes quite a bit under 4TB, about 3.3TB. Yes the destination is USB3.

I do have a Time machine back up but only for the main HD, not for external HDs which I do manually about once a month.

Once again thanks.

-- hide signature --

Bodensee

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads