PD clip damaged base of D5600, now leaking oil

Started Apr 9, 2019 | Discussions
HammBamm New Member • Posts: 3
PD clip damaged base of D5600, now leaking oil

Hello, I just got my hands on a D5600 a few weeks back, and purchased the Peak Design Capture clip to attach it to my backpack strap. I used it on a single 3 hour hike, and now after taking the clip off, I discovered oil leaking from the base of the camera. Upon closer inspection there is a decent crack nearly stretching around the entire tripod threading. The only lenses used in conjunction with the clip were a Tokina 11-16 and stock 18-55. The clip was put on properly as far as I can tell. I didn't over tighten it or anything.

Has anyone heard of actual oil leaking out of the base? My main issue is that I also just purchased a Nikon D7500 as I was going to sell the D5600 (wasn't enough of an upgrade from my old 5100).

I have no idea what to do. Some photos:

View of crack on base of Camera with arrows

PD clip covered in oil

Oil on base of Nikon around crack

The threaded part itself is still solid. Just the plastic around it is cracked with oil seeping out. Is this something Nikon should be able to fix easily?

Nikon D5 Nikon D5600 Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 13,142
Throw clip away and replace bottom plate

HammBamm wrote:

The threaded part itself is still solid. Just the plastic around it is cracked with oil seeping out. Is this something Nikon should be able to fix easily?

The oil is a bit of a mystery. As far as I know, there's nothing containing oil down there. It looks very much to me as if the 1/4 BSW bolt that screws into the tripod mount was too long and/or overtightened so that as it has been screwed in it has jacked the plastic plate out.

The danger now is that the crack could completely encircle the tripod mount in which case the camera would part company with the clip or tripod etc. and come crashing to the ground.

By the look of it, the plastic plate is retained by 4 tiny screws and looks as if you can just replace it if you can source the part.

What should you do next? Throw the PD clip away and replace the plate. I don't believe the tripod mounting socket should be used to attach the camera to belt/backpack etc.

OP HammBamm New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Throw clip away and replace bottom plate

David Lal wrote:

HammBamm wrote:

The oil is a bit of a mystery. As far as I know, there's nothing containing oil down there. It looks very much to me as if the 1/4 BSW bolt that screws into the tripod mount was too long and/or overtightened so that as it has been screwed in it has jacked the plastic plate out.

The danger now is that the crack could completely encircle the tripod mount in which case the camera would part company with the clip or tripod etc. and come crashing to the ground.

By the look of it, the plastic plate is retained by 4 tiny screws and looks as if you can just replace it if you can source the part.

What should you do next? Throw the PD clip away and replace the plate. I don't believe the tripod mounting socket should be used to attach the camera to belt/backpack etc.

I did only attach it hand tight but I guess it's definitely possible the screw was too long.

Really too bad as hiking with such easy access was amazing. This is the first time I didn't keep the camera around my neck or in my backpack.

Do you think using the Sigma mounting ring on my 70-200 2.8 would be fine as a mount point? I'm wondering if I at least can keep the clip in use for that lens, I don't have to toss it and sometimes can have the quick access. (when using the 70-200). Might have to invest in only lenses with mount rings ๐Ÿ˜‚.

I'm not going to risk my D7500 by using the clip on the base mount point at all.

Thanks for your response.

Edit: I got an email back from McBain camera here in Canada. Apparently the liquid may be a type of adhesive Nikon use between the plastic base and tripod mount plate.

Kazmarov Senior Member • Posts: 1,176

HammBamm wrote:

Edit: I got an email back from McBain camera here in Canada. Apparently the liquid may be a type of adhesive Nikon use between the plastic base and tripod mount plate.

Hi. Unfortunately I am sorry to say that as far as I know there is no adhesive used between the plastic base plate and the body frame of the camera on the D5500 or D5600. The tripod holder assembly (in my camera) is screwed into the body frame of the camera by the smaller screws mentioned in the above post (David Lal). For it to be have been moved out sufficiently to in-turn crack the plastic base would have required considerable force and movement as it is designed to cope with considerable torque.

If you do not wish to try undoing the plastic base plate which are the four larger outer screws  (it may break completely) perhaps it's best to take it into a local camera repair shop.

Kazmarov's gear list:Kazmarov's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D90 Canon EOS 60D Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 +10 more
OP HammBamm New Member • Posts: 3

I've never checked around but would there be shops that actually attempt to repair a Nikon without sending it direct to Nikon's repair facility? Also a pain because the serial number sticker is on the plate.

Hopefully I don't sound like an idiot, I've just never had a damaged camera in the 9 years I've been using DSLRs.

I didn't think it would even be possible to crack the base on a 3 hour, flat ground hike. Wasn't even a summit! My trusty D5100 has been on multiple summits with me. I don't think I would have over torqued it, as I've done it countless time with older models without issue. Something Cleary went wrong though I guess.

Lastly, do you have any idea what the liquid could be? It's definitely oily. The camera has literally been on 1 hike and other than that just used on a walk. I don't think there's even 1000 actuations yet.

ggeinec Contributing Member • Posts: 838
Re: PD clip damaged base of D5600, now leaking oil

HammBamm wrote:

Hello, I just got my hands on a D5600 a few weeks back, and purchased the Peak Design Capture clip to attach it to my backpack strap. I used it on a single 3 hour hike, and now after taking the clip off, I discovered oil leaking from the base of the camera. Upon closer inspection there is a decent crack nearly stretching around the entire tripod threading. The only lenses used in conjunction with the clip were a Tokina 11-16 and stock 18-55. The clip was put on properly as far as I can tell. I didn't over tighten it or anything.

Has anyone heard of actual oil leaking out of the base? My main issue is that I also just purchased a Nikon D7500 as I was going to sell the D5600 (wasn't enough of an upgrade from my old 5100).

PD clip covered in oil

Have you sent this same information to Peak Design to get their input?

I expect Nikon would just tell you to send in the camera so they can look at it before they would give you any feedback.

DJMusic Senior Member • Posts: 1,278

ggeinec wrote:

Have you sent this same information to Peak Design to get their input?

I expect Nikon would just tell you to send in the camera so they can look at it before they would give you any feedback.

Agree with this comment.  I have the clip, and I used it extensively with a D7200 and Tamron 24-70, by no means a light lens. Peak Design is a solid company and should be able to give you some insight.

DJMusic's gear list:DJMusic's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +7 more
gwozdz Regular Member • Posts: 198

The bottom cover of the camera and lens when mounted on the tripod (held by the screw), could act as a lever that could crack the cover (the screw anchor being the fulcrum) . The screw could be finger tight, yet any flexing in the camera, would still create a good deal of pressure enough to crack the cover. This may have happened unknowingly. The oil, not a clue.

Kazmarov Senior Member • Posts: 1,176

Hi. There are camera repair stores that can repair cameras (depending on the problem) without sending them back to Nikon even though I am led to believe Nikon has been making it difficult but I do not know if there are any in Canada. These can be Nikon authorised repair centres that can do minor & some major repairs such as Fixation in the UK or independents (though the latter seem to be disappearing here). Perhaps Google could be your friend in this?

Regarding the "oil" I am afraid I do not have a clue - I have never encountered any quantities of lubricant in any camera body in sufficient quantities that would show up as leaks - you may get occasional reports of spatter but have not heard of that issue in the D5500 or D5600. A possibility could be that the camera/ clip was set down somewhere where there was an oily liquid rather than coming out of the camera - but obviously that is just uninformed speculation on my part.

Kazmarov's gear list:Kazmarov's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D90 Canon EOS 60D Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 +10 more
arikevin Regular Member • Posts: 260

HammBamm wrote:

PD clip covered in oil

I am using PD Clutch. The rubber part of the PD baseplate came off. It definitely leaves some marks on my D5600 third party vertical grip. Thank goodness it is not affecting the camera body. I had requested PD to use a quality parts especially glue. Based on the latest PD youtube video, the new Clutch will not come with Capture’s base plate. Rather, it will come with the el-cheapo PD Slide/Slide-lite

Base plate of PD Clutch

arikevin's gear list:arikevin's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D4 Nikon D810 +19 more
nowaq New Member • Posts: 14
PD clip covered in oil after 2 months on Fujifilm X-T3

I just unscrewed the PD plate after some 2 months on my Fuji XT-3 and it was all covered in oil like yours. I don’t see any damage or leak from the camera. Found your post here... My impression is that the oil got squeezed out of the rubber on the PD plate or something. Perhaps they used wrong materials? ๐Ÿค”

nowaq's gear list:nowaq's gear list
Canon G7 X II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +2 more
bobmcdonald Regular Member • Posts: 141

I followed this thread a few months ago and wondered what you ever found out. Anything definitive?

bobmcdonald's gear list:bobmcdonald's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +5 more
nowaq New Member • Posts: 14
Re: PD clip covered in oil after 2 months on Fujifilm X-T3

As a test I screwed the PD plate onto a different camera for a while to see if the problem re-emerges. I also keep my X-T3 on a paper towel to see if anythingโ€™s coming out of it.

nowaq's gear list:nowaq's gear list
Canon G7 X II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +2 more
Moh_cibl3 New Member • Posts: 1

I have exactly the same issue with my Peak Design plate ๐Ÿ˜‘๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก and my Fujifilm camera.....

Now I feel like it's coming out from my camera...

I don't know what to do.... What happened to your camera ?

Where it can come from..?!

Is it coming from the camera or the  plate?

It's a weird liquid (oil,....) With plastic smell

I am taking care of my camera I really don't understand where it comes from

AndyL_DE New Member • Posts: 1

Same issue here with PD capture clip on a LUMIX S5 after two weeks. I think it's coming from the rubber. I am dissapointed to see that on such an expensive plate.

Craftsman70 Contributing Member • Posts: 765

Chances are the older rubber on the PD plate is breaking down for one reason or another - it may be natural or it might be reacting with the newer plastics used on the cameras.  A good test would be if anyone is using a PD plate solely on lens mounting foot or another metal mount location is seeing the same issue with 'oil'.

Craftsman70's gear list:Craftsman70's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +14 more
Mohaelhassan New Member • Posts: 1

hey all,

is it confirmed that pd capture is what causes the crack. i have experienced th dame issue and i cant confirm that it is. was it too tight or the opposite? was it because of

Peak Design Pro Pad V2., et...??

embie
embie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,451

I read here that there are other users that occur the same problem.

Has any of you contacted Peak Design and asked for an answer ?

Is this a major production error ?

-- hide signature --

"Travel is fatal...for prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" (Mark Twain) - "The world...is our home" (eMBie)
You can edit and repost my pictures until you drop but they will still be mine Please respect my copyright

rdavy Regular Member • Posts: 444

Mohaelhassan wrote:

hey all,

is it confirmed that pd capture is what causes the crack. i have experienced th dame issue and i cant confirm that it is. was it too tight or the opposite? was it because of

Peak Design Pro Pad V2., et...??

The OP said that older model D5xxx were ok.

I have not had trouble with D3300 and V1 of the PD plate.

The D3300 does have a different base plate design, with 4 screws closely surrounding the tripod thread.

rdavy's gear list:rdavy's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P340 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads