Best DAM software for someone starting from scratch?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
afterburn Senior Member • Posts: 1,079
Re: Best DAM software for someone starting from scratch?

Bobthearch wrote:

A system of folders and sub-folders organized by date and event,

You mean a system of folders and subfolders organized in a way that makes sense to you and allows you to find your photos.

I couldn't find my photos by date/event, but I can by year and location. Someone may do it by country/region. It doesn't matter what your system is, as long as it is something that allows you to find what you are looking for,  no?

-- hide signature --

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800/Fuji X-T1

afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
woodyggg Contributing Member • Posts: 891

Hans de Zomers wrote:

desertsp wrote:

It’s never going to go away since so many pros use it, so your nondestructive edits will always be accessible in the future, and you don’t need to maintain a redundant clone of every photo “just in case the software stops working”

Nothing against Lightroom but to state "It's never going to go away since so many users use it". Sorry, but history taught all of us that software can be discontinued ANYTIME.

How many users use the software is of less importance. When the software supplier decides that the software no longer matches their future company vision then it's almost certain going to be killed off.

Recent samples of discontinued photo software from large companies: Phase One Media Pro, and Apple Aperture, and probably many more, also from large suppliers

and they could quite making windows tomorrow as well...

highly unlikely.

woodyggg's gear list:woodyggg's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +5 more
BigBen08 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,272

Hans de Zomers wrote:

Bobthearch wrote:

If I need a photo of "Aunt Gertrude" from the 2010 reunion, I simply look in the folder /2010/Reunion. It's not rocket science and only takes two seconds.

Sure, if I hardly have pictures of my Aunt Gertrude, whom I've met at the reunion in 2010 then I'd also not have much difficulty finding it on the file system.

But if I want to find that one picture of my son who was playing with water in the pool then I'd have a hard time finding it without my DAM. I wouldn't know the exact year, and the event could have been anything, or even just a random day at the house. And I take a few thousand pictures per year so I'd have to wade through a lot to find it.

In my DAM I enter my son's name and pool and it will be presented to me in milliseconds.

But I can imagine that when you don't have a lot of pictures in your archive that you'd be able to find any picture fairly quickly without using a DAM

I agree, I need to be able to search photos based on tags (or some kind of data). And also be able to search for photos taken by a particular camera.

-- hide signature --

My best aviation photos: https://500px.com/kenfm2018

woodyggg Contributing Member • Posts: 891

Bobthearch wrote:

BigBen08 wrote:

Bobthearch wrote:

a system that's not dependent on any particular software, and that doesn't chain you to any single software vendor, a system that doesn't involve catalogs or databases, that is infinitely expandable into the future (or the past), and works equally-well with any camera or editing software.

That is what I recommend.

Hmmm...kind of sounds like a Windows system of files & folders. Although I don't think Windows Explorer or File Explorer can search for tags - a persons name, for example.

Is that what you mean?

Iv'e never needed to tag, nor had the time to tag or rate thousands of photos.

If I need a photo of "Aunt Gertrude" from the 2010 reunion, I simply look in the folder /2010/Reunion. It's not rocket science and only takes two seconds. Even RAW files are shown as preview thumbnails in Windows Explorer, or any photo browser software.

wow... very one dimensional. tagging, etc. makes for a much more useful and powerful system for me (I don't tag everything) - but creating smart folders, etc. if you need more than looking up a singular event, it's far more useful.

woodyggg's gear list:woodyggg's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +5 more
desertsp Contributing Member • Posts: 823

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Jimmy C wrote:

Do you have access to your DAM if you don't pay your monthly rent payment?

If you are speaking about LR - the answer is yes.

Yes, I believe you just can’t import new photos. But you can continue to export jpegs, run searches, etc.

Cariboo Contributing Member • Posts: 570

BigBen08 wrote:

Bobthearch wrote:

a system that's not dependent on any particular software, and that doesn't chain you to any single software vendor, a system that doesn't involve catalogs or databases, that is infinitely expandable into the future (or the past), and works equally-well with any camera or editing software.

Hmmm...kind of sounds like a Windows system of files & folders. Although I don't think Windows Explorer or File Explorer can search for tags - a persons name, for example.

Is that what you mean?

I use PhotoSupreme as my DAM & have for quite a few years, since it was first developed. Tagging images is not difficult & only time consuming if every single image were different. IME, I abhor a cluttered folder system & find it onerous to create & view folder after nesing folder after folder, which I've seen when helping others ends up being a complete organizational & visual mess. Most people just add too much info to a file & or folder name, thinking they are creating something good & fast vs. shooting themselves in the foot & creating barriers. With DAM or no DAM software, all files can easily be in just one folder or as some do, at least one folder per year & find images via the DAM or File Manger software where one can input Tags, keywords & or descriptions & use the DAM software or OS file manager to do searches of all sorts. But whatever, different strokes, everyones brains are wired differently.

W10 File Explorer CAN EASILY search via Tags & Dates & Properties & Descriptions all sorts of information. The search & file data input is quite powerful but you need to expand the Search VIEW & select from the drop down list of "properties or fields" to search & to also expand the column view to display the fields. You need to MAXIMIZE & to EXPLORE (learn to use) the File Explorer Ribbon & all the options & to learn how to use the functions.

You can set up columns to display tags, expand the columns, search for input data per tag or whatever the file contains. However, the data has to have been input somehow already, or withing the File Explorer. You can even right click (or I can as I set my mouse up to add things to right click functions) to add data to image details or properties. It takes exploring or reading of the W10 File Explorer vs. just viewing the default window & saying xyz function isn't there. The functions may in fact be there. Windows even creates a thumbnail database etc. but I have not explored it's use or pros & cons.

W10 File Manager can easily read the data input by Photo Supreme (& probably other good DAM software that keeps data written "open" as they should. So I can see & search for & display "Tags" created in Photo Supreme in W10 File Manager.

W10 File Manager GUI isn't as complete or convenient or as fast as good DAM Software IMO, which is why I prefer Photo Supreme as my data input & DAM viewer. It is also MUCH easier & faster & very convenient to backup & restore thumbnails, preview, catalogs in Photo Supreme than one "might" be able to do with w!0 file manager (W10 File Explorer can't write to a catalog or previews AFAIK). With Photo Supreme, one can choose to either use the catalog or not, it doesn't lock the data from other programs, as the info is either written to the image file if possible or to the xmp file if say RAW (which would be readable by ANY other software) AND to it's own catalog. Best of both worlds.

tokumeino Senior Member • Posts: 2,406
Face recognition ?

If you need face recognition in addition to geotagging (so as to easily build dynamic albums for people and/or faces, and automatically publish them), then there are not many options. I'm still after one which could set me free from Lightroom.

tokumeino's gear list:tokumeino's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Canon G7 X II Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +5 more
Carey Brown
Carey Brown Senior Member • Posts: 1,925

johnnyandedgar wrote:

Lightroom

johnnyandedgar

Yeah, I used to recommend LR until they went to a subscription model.

And for those who claim it's cheap: A) It's not. Do the math. B) I own their complete set of software, video editors, and others; IT IS NOT CHEAP.

-- hide signature --
tokumeino Senior Member • Posts: 2,406
Mylio

Mylio is not the best DAM ever. For instance, it doesn't even have an equivalent of smart collections (but the support told me that it was very high on their list, the whole search thing beeing currently rexritten). But Mylio has face detection, and the necessary for tagging and managing multiple versions of a picture (into a stack).

Mylio is also about data backup within your own devices and sharing, and agregation from multiple sources (phones, cameras, ...). So, it is not only a DAM, and as such, is not the best DAM. Nevertheless, I'l have an eye on it because it could be the perfect companion to Capture One Pro. There are not many options that allow for face recognition, and especially in a privacy-friendly way.

tokumeino's gear list:tokumeino's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Canon G7 X II Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +5 more
mobi1
mobi1 Contributing Member • Posts: 812

I read on this forum that Lightroom DAM part will continue to work even if you stop paying. So that takes care of your rating, caption, collection etc.

For edits, you can use free apps like GIMP.

If you prefer to go open source, Digikam is easy to start with.

You can even write your own DAM. If you have a Microsoft Access database, create a form there to display images from a table.

johnnyandedgar Regular Member • Posts: 115

I find $9.99 to be cheap.

To each their own.

johnnyandedgar

johnnyandedgar's gear list:johnnyandedgar's gear list
Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
threw the lens
threw the lens Senior Member • Posts: 1,096

I like PhotoMechanic better than Lightroom for the simple reason that PhotoMechanic will build a folder of thumbnails so much faster, and it tags files directly (or with sidecar files) rather than have a database to bork.

Lightroom/Bridge have advantages like previewing adjustments on the thumbnails. I've heard it said that you can get Bridge for free, so if you have Photoshop you might be able to bypass Lightroom.

Lightroom is not as useful for publishing as it once was, now that facebook broke uploading.

threw the lens
threw the lens Senior Member • Posts: 1,096

Bobthearch wrote:

BigBen08 wrote:

Bobthearch wrote:

Is that what you mean?

Iv'e never needed to tag, nor had the time to tag or rate thousands of photos.

If I need a photo of "Aunt Gertrude" from the 2010 reunion, I simply look in the folder /2010/Reunion. It's not rocket science and only takes two seconds. Even RAW files are shown as preview thumbnails in Windows Explorer, or any photo browser software.

That's nice for you, dear.

In my world Gertrude could occur in 12 different events per year and 50 days of shooting amongst similar looking Brunnhildes, Magdas and Elizavetas.

That's why I use something which makes use of the perfectly reasonable facility in the photo standard to tag files in the IPTC fields.

fuego6
fuego6 Senior Member • Posts: 2,331
Wrong Info here...

Bobthearch wrote:

Hans de Zomers wrote:

A good folder structureel is the first step in your photo management workflow. That has nothing to do with using a DAM. The DAM will help you find your images back. For example: how long would it take you to find all images that show Jack and Jane in 2017? Or to find all your “excellent” pictures from that one trip to show to friends? Those are situations where a DAM helps you.

I’m using Photo Supreme for DAM

About the same amount of time as if I created a database / catalog and then moved to different program that can't read it.

I respect your decision to use just a folder structure - but please don't share misinformation about DAM software.  As Hans correctly states, if you use a DAM that adheres to XMP standards, you have no worry about what software you use to manage your images.

I've switched DAM's about 4 times over the past 10 years... Thumbsplus, Lightroom, Photo Supreme and finally to IMatch.  In every one of those changes, I had ZERO work to do to move to the new product.  Each of these products wrote info directly into the proper IPTC or XMP records of each photo (or sidecar file).. and the next product easily read this info and built a new database.

I challenge your to find an image quickly in your folder/naming scheme ... try finding a "RED" "FLOWER" that has a "4 STAR" rating that your "PRINTED" for client "ABIGAIL WILLIAMS".  I can do this within seconds in IMatch thanks to a database and proper XMP control.

mballe New Member • Posts: 20
Re: Mylio

You are right that Mylio lacks some features I would like to see. What Mylio does do, it does really well, like synching photos across all your devices, without being a cloud solution.

The most amazing part of Mylio is the speed, though. I have never seen any app being as fast and scalable to literally millions of images. I doubt you can find any other app that can do that.

fuego6

mballe wrote:

You are right that Mylio lacks some features I would like to see. What Mylio does do, it does really well, like synching photos across all your devices, without being a cloud solution.

The most amazing part of Mylio is the speed, though. I have never seen any app being as fast and scalable to literally millions of images. I doubt you can find any other app that can do that.

IMatch can and does...

fuego6

-1 - MAC iOS only

-2 - website is down

=-3 - you are OUT!

Jimmy C Contributing Member • Posts: 666

fuego6 wrote:

-1 - MAC iOS only

Not true. Site shows Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android.

-2 - website is down

Not true. https://www.mylio.com/

=-3 - you are OUT!

Not sure what to think of this statement.

Jimmy C's gear list:Jimmy C's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +2 more
fuego6

Jimmy C wrote:

fuego6 wrote:

-1 - MAC iOS only

-2 - website is down

=-3 - you are OUT!

Well.. the website is back up - it was down and out when the comment was added (but it looks like it was designed by a 4 year old.... dark blue with black text... WHAT??!!)

It may available for multiple OS's... but your images are all stored on their servers... who would want that!?!?!  So the software is just a sync - not really software.. you are really doing everything on their web based system... not a true DAM - just a google photos / icloud replacement.

still gets a thumbs down from me...

mballe New Member • Posts: 20

fuego6 wrote:

Jimmy C wrote:

fuego6 wrote:

-1 - MAC iOS only

-2 - website is down

=-3 - you are OUT!

Well.. the website is back up - it was down and out when the comment was added (but it looks like it was designed by a 4 year old.... dark blue with black text... WHAT??!!)

It may available for multiple OS's... but your images are all stored on their servers... who would want that!?!?! So the software is just a sync - not really software.. you are really doing everything on their web based system... not a true DAM - just a google photos / icloud replacement.

still gets a thumbs down from me...

Mylio is not a cloud solution. Images are stored wherever you like them to be stored. In my case, I have all my originals on a NAS at home, and an external drive at work. Mylio takes care of the synching between all your devices, but the sync happens peer to peer.

They do have the concept of a "bring your own cloud", that allows you to store all your images in the cloud, currently Google Drive or Amazon. You choose whether to store them in the cloud encrypted or not.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads