Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

Started Apr 8, 2019 | Discussions
Dimebag Darrell Junior Member • Posts: 48
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

thunder storm wrote:

Dimebag Darrell wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I’m a new owner of the SP85mm

just a quick question, do you as well disable the lens profile correction in your eos rp body ?
if it’s not disable, you have a dark ring !

other point, in Lightroom, I’ve as well noticed a very big difference on the image post production when you activate the lens profile correction as well

big move of the histogram to the right

I just got one for my R.

You have to turn of peripheral illumination correction, and to bump up the EC with two third of a stop or one stop.

Downsides of course, but i couldn't bring my self to carry the sigma 85mm art in the bag for "just in case i needed a portrait lens" as i really wanted something lighter than the sigma 105mm art.

What do you mean by EC (sorry I have to figure out and translate in french, I’m not native English !)

by the way, when you switch from this SP85mm to another lens do you have to setup back these settings ?

 Dimebag Darrell's gear list:Dimebag Darrell's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Dimebag Darrell Junior Member • Posts: 48
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

Dimebag Darrell wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

Dimebag Darrell wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I’m a new owner of the SP85mm

just a quick question, do you as well disable the lens profile correction in your eos rp body ?
if it’s not disable, you have a dark ring !

other point, in Lightroom, I’ve as well noticed a very big difference on the image post production when you activate the lens profile correction as well

big move of the histogram to the right

I just got one for my R.

You have to turn of peripheral illumination correction, and to bump up the EC with two third of a stop or one stop.

Downsides of course, but i couldn't bring my self to carry the sigma 85mm art in the bag for "just in case i needed a portrait lens" as i really wanted something lighter than the sigma 105mm art.

What do you mean by EC (sorry I have to figure out and translate in french, I’m not native English !)

by the way, when you switch from this SP85mm to another lens do you have to setup back these settings ?

Just find this https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART136513&cat=DSLR&actp=LIST

when they said disable correctionS

it means Peripheral Illumination correction AND Distortion Correction ? (Both) ?

to be honest this is the first time I’m digging in this menu even if, I do not experience any issues with my 24-70 G2 from Tamron with these settings switch ON

 Dimebag Darrell's gear list:Dimebag Darrell's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
OP thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 5,015
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

Dimebag Darrell wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

Dimebag Darrell wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I’m a new owner of the SP85mm

just a quick question, do you as well disable the lens profile correction in your eos rp body ?
if it’s not disable, you have a dark ring !

other point, in Lightroom, I’ve as well noticed a very big difference on the image post production when you activate the lens profile correction as well

big move of the histogram to the right

I just got one for my R.

You have to turn of peripheral illumination correction, and to bump up the EC with two third of a stop or one stop.

Downsides of course, but i couldn't bring my self to carry the sigma 85mm art in the bag for "just in case i needed a portrait lens" as i really wanted something lighter than the sigma 105mm art.

What do you mean by EC (sorry I have to figure out and translate in french, I’m not native English !)

Exposure Compensation.

by the way, when you switch from this SP85mm to another lens do you have to setup back these settings ?

I have to put down the Exposure Compensation. Peripheral illumination correction depends on the lens. Some lenses need it more than others. My 24mm f/2.8 IS USM for instance needs it, but i shoot the sigma 50mm Art or 105mm Art seldom at a wider aperture than f/2.0, and doing so i'm fine without it.

-- hide signature --

EF glass = bang for my buck

 thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +12 more
Dimebag Darrell Junior Member • Posts: 48
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

Dimebag Darrell wrote:

Dimebag Darrell wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

Dimebag Darrell wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I’m a new owner of the SP85mm

just a quick question, do you as well disable the lens profile correction in your eos rp body ?
if it’s not disable, you have a dark ring !

other point, in Lightroom, I’ve as well noticed a very big difference on the image post production when you activate the lens profile correction as well

big move of the histogram to the right

I just got one for my R.

You have to turn of peripheral illumination correction, and to bump up the EC with two third of a stop or one stop.

Downsides of course, but i couldn't bring my self to carry the sigma 85mm art in the bag for "just in case i needed a portrait lens" as i really wanted something lighter than the sigma 105mm art.

What do you mean by EC (sorry I have to figure out and translate in french, I’m not native English !)

by the way, when you switch from this SP85mm to another lens do you have to setup back these settings ?

Just find this https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART136513&cat=DSLR&actp=LIST

when they said disable correctionS

it means Peripheral Illumination correction AND Distortion Correction ? (Both) ?

to be honest this is the first time I’m digging in this menu even if, I do not experience any issues with my 24-70 G2 from Tamron with these settings switch ON

What about this ?

 Dimebag Darrell's gear list:Dimebag Darrell's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Tannin Senior Member • Posts: 1,383
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?
1

You won't get issues with the 24-70/2.8 Tamron lens you have because these issues only manifest at apertures wider than f/2.8. So, for example:

At f/1.8: you get a dark ring around the picture unless you turn the anti-vignette  function OFF.

At f/2/0: the same.

At f/2.8: no problem, lens works normally. Doesn't matter if you have the anti-vignette on or off.

At f/5.6: no problem, the same.

At f/8: the same.

And so on. The issue ONLY occurs with third-party lenses (Tamron, Sigma, etc.), ONLY if you have the anti-vignette ON, and ONLY if you are shooting at LESS than f/2.8.

To repeat the theme of the thread, the Tamron 85/1.8 is a delightful lens and this issue is easily worked around. If you want an 85mm lens, the Tamron is a great choice.

 Tannin's gear list:Tannin's gear list
Canon G9 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +11 more
Dimebag Darrell Junior Member • Posts: 48
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

Tannin wrote:

You won't get issues with the 24-70/2.8 Tamron lens you have because these issues only manifest at apertures wider than f/2.8. So, for example:

At f/1.8: you get a dark ring around the picture unless you turn the anti-vignette function OFF.

At f/2/0: the same.

At f/2.8: no problem, lens works normally. Doesn't matter if you have the anti-vignette on or off.

At f/5.6: no problem, the same.

At f/8: the same.

And so on. The issue ONLY occurs with third-party lenses (Tamron, Sigma, etc.), ONLY if you have the anti-vignette ON, and ONLY if you are shooting at LESS than f/2.8.

To repeat the theme of the thread, the Tamron 85/1.8 is a delightful lens and this issue is easily worked around. If you want an 85mm lens, the Tamron is a great choice.

Thanks for your feedback, I noticed that you owned an EOSR and the Tamron SP85mm

I've found a like from Canon USA

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART136513&cat=DSLR&actp=LIST

when they recommended to disable correctionS

it means Peripheral Illumination correction AND Distortion Correction ? (Both) ?

Did you as well proceed with this setup ? or only the disabling of the Peripheral Illumination correction?

 Dimebag Darrell's gear list:Dimebag Darrell's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Tannin Senior Member • Posts: 1,383
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

Cheers Darrell. From memory, I already had the distortion correction disabled, so I just had to turn the peripheral illumination correction off. I'm not sure whether you have to turn the distortion correction off or not. (For me the question hasn't arisen as it is my habit to correct distortion in Photoshop rather than in-camera.) But you definitely have to turn PIC off if you are going to shoot wider than f/2.8.

Failing to do so won't damage anything, just mess your picture up. If you like, take a shot at f/1.8  with PIC switched on so you can see what the fuss is about.

 Tannin's gear list:Tannin's gear list
Canon G9 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +11 more
Dimebag Darrell Junior Member • Posts: 48
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

Tannin wrote:

Cheers Darrell. From memory, I already had the distortion correction disabled, so I just had to turn the peripheral illumination correction off. I'm not sure whether you have to turn the distortion correction off or not. (For me the question hasn't arisen as it is my habit to correct distortion in Photoshop rather than in-camera.) But you definitely have to turn PIC off if you are going to shoot wider than f/2.8.

Failing to do so won't damage anything, just mess your picture up. If you like, take a shot at f/1.8 with PIC switched on so you can see what the fuss is about.

Thanks for the clarification

last point, except these setups(disabling PIC and distortion) did you configure anything else specific on your body  ? EOSR

 Dimebag Darrell's gear list:Dimebag Darrell's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Tannin Senior Member • Posts: 1,383
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

No, nothing specific to that lens. Just my normal customisations that I do on every camera and use with every lens. That one bug - really something Canon should have fixed long ago but choose not to because they don't like to be seen to be paying credence to other companies products - is a special case. You don't normally have to do stuff like that with third-party lenses. It's only because it's faster than f/2.8 which is where Canon's anti-vignette function bug triggers.

 Tannin's gear list:Tannin's gear list
Canon G9 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +11 more
Dimebag Darrell Junior Member • Posts: 48
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

Tannin wrote:

No, nothing specific to that lens. Just my normal customisations that I do on every camera and use with every lens. That one bug - really something Canon should have fixed long ago but choose not to because they don't like to be seen to be paying credence to other companies products - is a special case. You don't normally have to do stuff like that with third-party lenses. It's only because it's faster than f/2.8 which is where Canon's anti-vignette function bug triggers.

By curiosity, what kind of customisations you do ?

in general what setup you pay attention ?

 Dimebag Darrell's gear list:Dimebag Darrell's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,237
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

Tannin wrote:

No, nothing specific to that lens. Just my normal customisations that I do on every camera and use with every lens. That one bug - really something Canon should have fixed long ago but choose not to because they don't like to be seen to be paying credence to other companies products - is a special case. You don't normally have to do stuff like that with third-party lenses. It's only because it's faster than f/2.8 which is where Canon's anti-vignette function bug triggers.

It's not Canon's anti-vignette function bug, it's Sigma's and Tamron's. Canon's anti-vignette function is tailored to the information it gets from the lens. It can't work properly if that information's spoofed. Sigma seem to be getting better at understanding Canon's logic but they've had to rely on reverse engineering. It was always a matter of pride for them that they didn't licence anything. It's up to the third party manufacturer to make an ersatzteil work properly, not the  manufacturer of the original.

Tannin Senior Member • Posts: 1,383
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

Sittatunga wrote:

It's not Canon's anti-vignette function bug, it's Sigma's and Tamron's. Canon's anti-vignette function is tailored to the information it gets from the lens. It can't work properly if that information's spoofed.

Nonsense. All Canon needs to do is have the firmware test to see if the attached lens is one of the ones on its list of known lenses (it does this anyway, so as not to apply the vignette correction for a Canon 85/1.8 to a Canon 85/1.2L), and if the lens is not on its list, do nothing.

It's a trivially simple fix, but Canon chooses not to do it for marketing reasons. (They don't like the third-party makers and try to stuff them up where they can - so long as it's not too obvious, of course.)

 Tannin's gear list:Tannin's gear list
Canon G9 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +11 more
Tannin Senior Member • Posts: 1,383
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

Dimebag Darrell wrote:

By curiosity, what kind of customisations you do ?

in general what setup you pay attention ?

Just things to make the camera work the way I like it to, and so far as possible, work the same as my other cameras. I run several bodies, so I try to set them all up the same way as best I can.

 Tannin's gear list:Tannin's gear list
Canon G9 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +11 more
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,237
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

Tannin wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

It's not Canon's anti-vignette function bug, it's Sigma's and Tamron's. Canon's anti-vignette function is tailored to the information it gets from the lens. It can't work properly if that information's spoofed.

Nonsense. All Canon needs to do is have the firmware test to see if the attached lens is one of the ones on its list of known lenses (it does this anyway, so as not to apply the vignette correction for a Canon 85/1.8 to a Canon 85/1.2L), and if the lens is not on its list, do nothing.

It's a trivially simple fix, but Canon chooses not to do it for marketing reasons. (They don't like the third-party makers and try to stuff them up where they can - so long as it's not too obvious, of course.)

Hardly nonsense. Canon would only need to do anything more than warn against using in camera lens corrections with third party lenses if they had actually licensed someone to produce a lenses for them. In a lot of the older lenses, the third party lens reports itself as a completely different Canon brand lens, so that's going to upset the camera's corrections. See https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/canon-illumination-correction-and-third-party-lenses/

If I were making an accessory for a motor car, I would expect to design that accessory to work properly with that car. I can't expect, say, Toyota to redesign their cars to check for my accessory and modify their behaviour in the light of its presence. Not without a licensing agreement. That's why I say it's the third party manufacturer's bug, not Canon's.

Tannin Senior Member • Posts: 1,383
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

The point her is that Canon deliberately messes up the third party lenses (and millions of its own customers) by failing to take basic, simple steps - steps it does take with all of its own lenses, even incredibly ancient, obscure ones that practically no-one uses anyway.

When a person (rather than a company) behaves in this quietly hostile this way, he or she is rightly called out by others. The term for the behavior pattern is "passive aggressive".

 Tannin's gear list:Tannin's gear list
Canon G9 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +11 more
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,237
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?
  1. Tannin wrote:

The point her is that Canon deliberately messes up the third party lenses (and millions of its own customers) by failing to take basic, simple steps - steps it does take with all of its own lenses, even incredibly ancient, obscure ones that practically no-one uses anyway.

When a person (rather than a company) behaves in this quietly hostile this way, he or she is rightly called out by others. The term for the behavior pattern is "passive aggressive".

Did you not read the article I linked to?

Genobkk Regular Member • Posts: 198
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

I have been thinking about this lens for my EOS R.  have the Tamron 7-200 G2 and it works great but as you say it is 2.8.

if I get the Tamron 85 1.8 the only thing I need to do is turn Vingetting off correct?     I remember testing this lens in a shop and did not notice anything. Maybe I had it turned off already

 Genobkk's gear list:Genobkk's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +2 more
koenkooi Regular Member • Posts: 399
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

Sittatunga wrote:

Tannin wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

It's not Canon's anti-vignette function bug, it's Sigma's and Tamron's. Canon's anti-vignette function is tailored to the information it gets from the lens. It can't work properly if that information's spoofed.

Nonsense. All Canon needs to do is have the firmware test to see if the attached lens is one of the ones on its list of known lenses (it does this anyway, so as not to apply the vignette correction for a Canon 85/1.8 to a Canon 85/1.2L), and if the lens is not on its list, do nothing.

It's a trivially simple fix, but Canon chooses not to do it for marketing reasons. (They don't like the third-party makers and try to stuff them up where they can - so long as it's not too obvious, of course.)

Hardly nonsense. Canon would only need to do anything more than warn against using in camera lens corrections with third party lenses if they had actually licensed someone to produce a lenses for them. In a lot of the older lenses, the third party lens reports itself as a completely different Canon brand lens, so that's going to upset the camera's corrections. See https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/canon-illumination-correction-and-third-party-lenses/

If I were making an accessory for a motor car, I would expect to design that accessory to work properly with that car. I can't expect, say, Toyota to redesign their cars to check for my accessory and modify their behaviour in the light of its presence. Not without a licensing agreement. That's why I say it's the third party manufacturer's bug, not Canon's.

Recent Sigma lenses do provide the right data, so it is possible.

 koenkooi's gear list:koenkooi's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 +19 more
OP thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 5,015
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

Genobkk wrote:

I have been thinking about this lens for my EOS R. have the Tamron 7-200 G2 and it works great but as you say it is 2.8.

if I get the Tamron 85 1.8 the only thing I need to do is turn Vingetting off correct? I remember testing this lens in a shop and did not notice anything. Maybe I had it turned off already

I did the firmware update yesterday. Now i don't have to turn off corrections. You're still not getting corrections, but it's nice you don't have to turn these corrections off all the time when using this lens.

Probably the lens you tested was updated already.  If it was a new lens, it could be "updated in the factory".

-- hide signature --

EF glass = bang for my buck

 thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +12 more
FourSite Regular Member • Posts: 102
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?
1

GregoryA wrote:

Genobkk wrote:

Does eye focus work well with this lens on the eos R? I need a decent 85. The cannon version is much cheaper but old design. Isthe Tamron worth it?

Eye focus works great with the Tamron. This lens and the R are a great match.

100%

I use the Tamron for portrait and video, prefer it to the antique Canon EF 85mm 1.4. And havent flashed the cash for a RF 85mm 1.2 yet.

My only concerns are the VC being a bit slow and not as good as native RF IS, and that there is a cool blueish tone to the pics, but that's easily fixed in post.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads