what to do about online images vs iphone, truetone

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Phil Photo
Phil Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 797
what to do about online images vs iphone, truetone

Wanted to ask folks if there are any tips you recommend, when you want an image to look good online... and you realize that iphone (and perhaps others now) have this thing called "true tone"

For those who dont know:

https://www.imore.com/why-you-should-use-true-tone-your-iphone-or-ipad

"Powered by a multichannel sensor, True Tone works throughout the day by dynamically adjusting the temperature, intensity, and percentage of white light on your iPhone, iPad, or MacBook Pro's display depending on your current environment. The goal is to make adjustments to your device's display appear more natural, with an effect similar to what would be seen when putting a white piece of paper under different kinds of light."

so, in theory, it autowhite balances the display.

In practice, it tends to make images warmer.

So something that you've carefully tuned to be "pleasantly warm", may now appear overdone, on iphone/iSO, etc.

????
how to deal with this, when choosing how to edit for color?

and you figure your images will end up on instagram, viewed by many iphone devices?

Phil Photo's gear list:Phil Photo's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +5 more
AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 2,202
Re: what to do about online images vs iphone, truetone

Phil Photo wrote:

Wanted to ask folks if there are any tips you recommend, when you want an image to look good online... and you realize that iphone (and perhaps others now) have this thing called "true tone"

For those who dont know:

"Powered by a multichannel sensor, True Tone works throughout the day by dynamically adjusting the temperature, intensity, and percentage of white light on your iPhone, iPad, or MacBook Pro's display depending on your current environment. The goal is to make adjustments to your device's display appear more natural, with an effect similar to what would be seen when putting a white piece of paper under different kinds of light."

So something that you've carefully tuned to be "pleasantly warm", may now appear overdone, on iphone/iSO, etc.

????

and you figure your images will end up on instagram, viewed by many iphone devices?

You're not viewing your images in a vacuum, you are viewing everything on the screen with the same truetone white balance shift. It will look fine in context.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Phil Photo
OP Phil Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 797

AZBlue wrote:

You're not viewing your images in a vacuum, you are viewing everything on the screen with the same truetone white balance shift. It will look fine in context.

either you didnt actually read what I wrote, or you're in denial.

I specifically made my post, because I did my edits on on my computer,  posted them...

and then the image LOOKS WRONG on my iphone with truetone enabled.

WHen I turn it off, it looks how I expected.

Sony a7 II Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +5 more
SaltyPeanut
SaltyPeanut Contributing Member • Posts: 933

Phil Photo wrote:

For those who dont know:

????

Turn off features like that from your editing monitor...then edit as usual, the photos should look good on the consumer receiving end whether shown in normal WB or the warmed up version due to things like true tone...basically just edit your shots on a calibrated screen and don't worry about how they will look on a consumer display that may or may not have xyz features. You can't control everything in this world.

SaltyPeanut's gear list:SaltyPeanut's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G
Phil Photo

SaltyPeanut wrote:

Turn off features like that from your editing monitor...

i dont edit on apple.

I edit on a color calibrated monitor under ms-windows.

then edit as usual, the photos should look good on the consumer receiving end whether shown in normal WB or the warmed up version

except it doesnt.

sigh.

SaltyPeanut

Phil Photo wrote:

SaltyPeanut wrote:

i dont edit on apple.

then edit as usual, the photos should look good on the consumer receiving end whether shown in normal WB or the warmed up version

except it doesnt.

sigh.

Can you post a pic of the photo on your calibrated screen vs the normal screen that doesn't look good?  Could be a calibration issue...

Phil Photo

SaltyPeanut wrote:

Phil Photo wrote:

SaltyPeanut wrote:

i dont edit on apple.

except it doesnt.

sigh.

Can you post a pic of the photo on your calibrated screen vs the normal screen that doesn't look good? Could be a calibration issue...

I had literally just calibrated the screen with Xrite.

Perhaps on the weekend I may post a "camera inception" set of images, with my sony taking a picture of pictures displayed on my iphone and monitor.. that were originally taken with my sony.

which I supposed I will also include a color passport in frame, so I can then re-re-re-re-er-rrrrrrrrrrrrcalibrate color, of the calibrated color, of the....

my head hurts.

henrya41 Regular Member • Posts: 210

Unfortunately, there's no way to control how someone views your images online.   Some screens are good, and some are bad.

I don't love True Tone or anything like that, but I wouldn't worry about how it will impact people viewing your photos.  A big part of how we perceive color is relative.  If every image on someone's phone has a warm cast to it, your photos won't look strange to them.  You're noticing it more because you can view both your un-calibrated phone and calibrated monitor at the same time.

-- hide signature --
AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 2,202

Phil Photo wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

either you didnt actually read what I wrote, or you're in denial.

I specifically made my post, because I did my edits on on my computer, posted them...

and then the image LOOKS WRONG on my iphone with truetone enabled.

WHen I turn it off, it looks how I expected.

It looks wrong to you. It will not look wrong to anyone else who didn't edit it and expect a certain result. When white goes yellow your eyes adjust and normalize it. That's how your eyes are able to see white under a variety of different lighting conditions. Isn't it funny how a white piece of paper looks white outside in the sun just as it does under tungsten lighting in your kitchen?

I worked 20 years as a graphic designer and had to deal with advanced color correction for print, display, etc. The graphic industry standardizes on a white point of 5000K even though most display monitors are 6500K. The photos and graphics still look fine in both worlds. This aspect of color perception is basic.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Phil Photo

Phil Photo wrote:

Perhaps on the weekend I may post a "camera inception" set of images, with my sony taking a picture of pictures displayed on my iphone and monitor.. that were originally taken with my sony.

which I supposed I will also include a color passport in frame, so I can then re-re-re-re-er-rrrrrrrrrrrrcalibrate color, of the calibrated color, of the....

my head hurts.

i was lazy. here's a rush job. Sadly, this is not the one that really made things horribly stand out,but just a quickie example.

dont pay so much attention to the main photo. notice the difference betwee the the cellphone views.

Notice how much more orange the skintones are, on the one with truetone.

Now imagine that I had already tuned the main image to look "warm", and imagine how disgustingly overwarm it would then look on the iphone.

You would basically get a lillywhite irish girl looking like a tanned california girl.

(I think the only reason it doesnt, is because I probably toned down the warmth when I discovered this)

no tru tone

tru tone enabled

DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 3,830

I do not do anything about it.

The only presentation that matters to me is in the magazine or on the wall. Devices offer just a taste to inspire customers to contact you. Most people know from their own experience  that photos on a phone usually look  lesser than - combine that with the fact that much of what is on the web is not exactly polished  to begin with and   folks do not take variations too seriously.

Ten years ago if you walked into an Apple store and went to my site every photo  looked great on any device you picked up- conversely my work looked like a bad acid trip on Android devices.  Drove me nuts. I never the less had numerous Android customers.

I set up images for my devices and then do not worry about them. Life is too short and all it takes is one  off temp light bulb or off flavor color space  to negate hours of effort.

-- hide signature --

dw

SaltyPeanut

Phil Photo wrote:

Phil Photo wrote:

my head hurts.

i was lazy. here's a rush job. Sadly, this is not the one that really made things horribly stand out,but just a quickie example.

dont pay so much attention to the main photo. notice the difference betwee the the cellphone views.

Notice how much more orange the skintones are, on the one with truetone.

Now imagine that I had already tuned the main image to look "warm", and imagine how disgustingly overwarm it would then look on the iphone.

You would basically get a lillywhite irish girl looking like a tanned california girl.

(I think the only reason it doesnt, is because I probably toned down the warmth when I discovered this)

no tru tone

tru tone enabled

I wouldn't worry about it. Looks fine on a old uncalibrated dell screen (both versions)...I wouldn't change a thing...besides, people look at photos on many devices now a days, if you change to accommodate tru tone all others will look terrible (colder)...not worth it. People's eyes will accommodate to their screen and your photos will match others under the same effect...if it makes you feel better just give your clients a quick note about different screens and their video settings, and features like tru tone, etc. that it may impact how it looks vs a print etc.

Boomanbb
Boomanbb Senior Member • Posts: 2,536

Don't worry about it. Whether it's a monitor, tablet or phone, no one is seeing the exact same thing you see.

-- hide signature --

Ben Boozer
Disagree without being disagreeable

Boomanbb's gear list:Boomanbb's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +13 more
KE_DP
KE_DP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,407

Boomanbb wrote:

Don't worry about it. Whether it's a monitor, tablet or phone, no one is seeing the exact same thing you see.

Exactly.  The vast majority of people looking at things online are using uncalibrated, color incorrect devices to view it with.  We have no responsibility or expectation of anything other than to deliver the color correct files to our display portals.

Imagine fretting because people with poor vision think your photos are blurry.   Or pinkish - because they wear pink sunglasses.... etc, etc.  "True Tone" (and I have it on my iPhone) is nothing more than a sunglasses filter for your phone display - because some geek thought it was cool.    They might add cat ears and whiskers to view your portrait portfolio faces too.

KE_DP's gear list:KE_DP's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
Phil Photo

Sigh.

This is frustrating though, because iphone is a very large percentage of instagram use, and it USED to be a very consistent color exeprience.

oh well

SaltyPeanut

Phil Photo wrote:

Sigh.

This is frustrating though, because iphone is a very large percentage of instagram use, and it USED to be a very consistent color exeprience.

oh well

Still looks good to the consumer. Don't over think it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads