EOS RP L bracket?

Started Apr 4, 2019 | Discussions
yoshi Contributing Member • Posts: 709
EOS RP L bracket?

Any RP owners get a L bracket for their camera?

i can’t find one that’s specific to the RP and not sure about taking any chances on a universal one.

knutte Regular Member • Posts: 411
Re: EOS RP L bracket?

It might be a month or 2 before one is out.

-- hide signature --

If you're a fan of oversaturated images you should skip my flickr collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/164425702@N02/

maarensv
maarensv Contributing Member • Posts: 996

yoshi wrote:

i can’t find one that’s specific to the RP and not sure about taking any chances on a universal one.

Smallrig is usually pretty fast with cages and L-brackets for new cameras. They already have a cage for the RP, so I expect an L-bracket within 1 or 2 month or so.

maarensv's gear list:maarensv's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS R +26 more
Peak freak Contributing Member • Posts: 869

yoshi wrote:

I use a Desmond universal bracket with my 800D and 70-200/4. I glued a 1mm strip of 'butynol' rubber to the plate. It is rock solid and I am conservative with the tightening. It's only $20 so might be worth trying. 'Door access' might be a problem. The 800D (I think) is one of the last models with the infrared remote (RC-6), now Canon can sting you for the bluetooth version.

Sunwayfoto make some good universal models too.

Keith Cooper
Keith Cooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,703
A cheapo eBay one...

This one I got for my 100D works fine

You need move it out a bit from how I've fitted it here, for the ports/screen but it's good and solid.

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Keith Cooper's gear list:Keith Cooper's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
maarensv
Re: A cheapo eBay one...

Keith Cooper wrote:

You need move it out a bit from how I've fitted it here, for the ports/screen but it's good and solid.

It might work well for a tripod, but it does not help as an extension for the pinkie. Dedicated L-brackets provide both. At a cost off course. On the other hand, a dedicated one for the RP probably won’t work on other camera’s, like in this case.

Keith Cooper

maarensv wrote:

Keith Cooper wrote:

It might work well for a tripod, but it does not help as an extension for the pinkie. Dedicated L-brackets provide both. At a cost off course. On the other hand, a dedicated one for the RP probably won’t work on other camera’s, like in this case.

In what way? I've only ever used them for tripod mounting?

I've had custom brackets for my 1Ds and 1Ds3 but none were in contact with any of my fingers.

The only customisation I could see beyond appropriate spaces for the connectors and battery was a slight curvature to the base so it fitted the camera a bit more snuggly.

Is what you're referring to as perhaps a different product to what I see as an 'L' bracket?

Just wondering, since I've never really wanted any additional finger support? Probably just me for having long fingers

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Canon EOS 5DS Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
FoxPhoto
FoxPhoto Forum Member • Posts: 75

Keith Cooper wrote:

maarensv wrote:

Keith Cooper wrote:

I've had custom brackets for my 1Ds and 1Ds3 but none were in contact with any of my fingers.

The only customisation I could see beyond appropriate spaces for the connectors and battery was a slight curvature to the base so it fitted the camera a bit more snuggly.

Is what you're referring to as perhaps a different product to what I see as an 'L' bracket?

Just wondering, since I've never really wanted any additional finger support? Probably just me for having long fingers

I think what he was referring to was extending the camera body down a little more, to get a better grip with the pinky. Kinda like the official grip extension that Canon is selling.

If you're using a 1DX or even 5D Series, that won't be an issue for you as the camera body is big enough for your whole hand to grip it.

This would be a good example on the EOS R:

FoxPhoto's gear list:FoxPhoto's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon Extender EF 2x II +11 more
maarensv

FoxPhoto wrote:

Keith Cooper wrote:

maarensv wrote:

Keith Cooper wrote:

I think what he was referring to was extending the camera body down a little more, to get a better grip with the pinky. Kinda like the official grip extension that Canon is selling.

If you're using a 1DX or even 5D Series, that won't be an issue for you as the camera body is big enough for your whole hand to grip it.

My point indeed.

Keith Cooper

FoxPhoto wrote:

Keith Cooper wrote:

maarensv wrote:

Keith Cooper wrote:

Thanks for explaining that - definitely not for me - I like the size of the RP. I get two fingers under it as I normally hold it.

Then again I used to like the size of the OM4 until I got my 1Ds house brick

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

atpphoto New Member • Posts: 3

Smallrig are working on one now. Bug them like I have been and maybe they’ll speed up production

atpphoto New Member • Posts: 3

yoshi wrote:

Reallrightstuff has one available for pre-order, but their prices are ridiculous. SmallRig’s will be just as good and probably half the price.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/canon-eos-rp-plates

Keith Cooper

atpphoto wrote:

yoshi wrote:

Reallrightstuff has one available for pre-order, but their prices are ridiculous. SmallRig’s will be just as good and probably half the price.

Whilst I appreciate I've fairly large hands, I'm not seeing the benefits of these brackets with the big bottom plates.

Is it really that much of an issue, the small height of the RP?

I guess it must be or Canon wouldn't have supplied the RP with a free bottom plate just for the US market.

Anyone getting an RP here in Europe, also splashing out for the Canon baseplate?

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

maarensv

Keith Cooper wrote:

atpphoto wrote:

yoshi wrote:

Whilst I appreciate I've fairly large hands, I'm not seeing the benefits of these brackets with the big bottom plates.

I guess it must be or Canon wouldn't have supplied the RP with a free bottom plate just for the US market.

Anyone getting an RP here in Europe, also splashing out for the Canon baseplate?

A baseplate is different from an L plate. A baseplate is plain for extending grip, an L plate usually has Arca Swiss profiles for tripod use, which is reason for many to get one. A good L plate functions both as extension and tripod plate. An L plate also protects the camera body a bit.

The small height of the RP is no issue, it is rather a personal thing. For me, even with my small hands, I find a lot of ML cameras too small. Can’t think of using my A7RIII without L bracket and even my EOS R has one. But as said, the Arca Swiss profile is main reason for many to use them.

Rock and Rollei Senior Member • Posts: 2,290

Keith Cooper wrote:

atpphoto wrote:

yoshi wrote:

I assumed it was more for anti-twist purposes - I did once have some cheap L plate for my 5D that was worse than useless because of the twisting.
As to the RP height, well I bought the R in large part because it felt a lot more comfortable to me - not so much the height, but the depth and shape of the grip. I don't have particularly big hands, but neither are they that small, and I do find the M5, M6 and M50 all perfectly fine to use. I didn't like the 5D III, much preferring the 6D, but the 5D IV is also very comfy for me. The RP just doesn't hit the sweet spot, and I'm not one that minds having my little finger under the camera base. The baseplate would make no difference to me personally whatsoever. That said, I know there are people who feel very uncomfortable if they don't have a home for that finger.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +29 more
Keith Cooper

maarensv wrote:

Keith Cooper wrote:

atpphoto wrote:

yoshi wrote:

A baseplate is different from an L plate. A baseplate is plain for extending grip, an L plate usually has Arca Swiss profiles for tripod use, which is reason for many to get one. A good L plate functions both as extension and tripod plate. An L plate also protects the camera body a bit.

The small height of the RP is no issue, it is rather a personal thing. For me, even with my small hands, I find a lot of ML cameras too small. Can’t think of using my A7RIII without L bracket and even my EOS R has one. But as said, the Arca Swiss profile is main reason for many to use them.

Thanks - I was looking at the differences between the generic one I've got - entirely for tripod use, and one that also made the camera a different shape to hold.

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

atpphoto wrote:

yoshi wrote:

So smallrig's plates are $10 cheaper than RRS, barely any cheaper and RRS stuff are really high quality.

-- hide signature --

If you're a fan of oversaturated images you should skip my flickr collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/164425702@N02/

maarensv

knutte wrote:

atpphoto wrote:

yoshi wrote:

So smallrig's plates are $10 cheaper than RRS, barely any cheaper and RRS stuff are really high quality.

Not quite sure about that. I got the Smallrig L bracket for the EOS R for much less than an RRS one would have cost me. A difference of more than 50%, which is not just $10. Build is about the same, so nothing wrong there. And the same was true for the bracket for my A7RIII.

OP yoshi Contributing Member • Posts: 709

atpphoto wrote:

yoshi wrote:

Wish I could have a combo bracket made. The full bottom portion of RRS with the offset vertical from Promediagear.

https://www.promediagear.com/PLX3T-Universal-L-Bracket-L-Plate-for-Cameras-with-Articulating-LCD-screens_p_416.html

maarensv wrote:

knutte wrote:

atpphoto wrote:

yoshi wrote:

Not quite sure about that. I got the Smallrig L bracket for the EOS R for much less than an RRS one would have cost me. A difference of more than 50%, which is not just $10. Build is about the same, so nothing wrong there. And the same was true for the bracket for my A7RIII.

You might be right. When I looked at Smallrig I included the "left hand grip" which I assumed was part of the bracket that completed the "L" and that made it $110 or $10 less than RRS. Not sure what the "left hand grip" is for then. Is it like the wooden grip that used to be an option on the MF Pentax 67?

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads