WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
OP LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 1,116
Re: Len Rivers Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

D Lynch wrote:

I'm jealous.

My 2010 iMac is soldiering on, in spite of me. On bad days I think it hates me!

I can't afford a new computer; I need to figure out what I can do to restore the lost speed.

I'm considering buying an abacus...just kidding.

Yeah the old 2012 was taking long time to wake from sleep but if we can plan to save just $20 per week that is $1000 per year and in 3-4 years you have a new computer.

If not save more.... eat out less etc... There is a way...

Of course you can always finance it for 18 months I think are the terms with Apple..

dmanthree
dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 7,879
Re: Len Rivers Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

Like you, I keep them for a while. My 2015 iMac is just as good as the day I bought it. I feel *no* need to upgrade.

-- hide signature --

---enjoys shooting with inferior gear---

terryreid
terryreid Senior Member • Posts: 2,111
Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

EdwardWestonNYC wrote:

terryreid wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

EdwardWestonNYC wrote:

Not sure what the memory usage difference is btw Mac OS and Windows. My Windows machines seemed to eat and use ram like wild.

Something that others here have observed is that macOS can be aggressive about filling RAM with cached data. The reasoning is that until such time as an application needs the RAM, the OS might as well use it for cache (in hopes of saving some HDD/SSD I/O).

Recent versions of macOS have an Activity Monitor indicator called "Memory Pressure", a graph showing memory availability in terms of traffic-light-style Red/Yellow/Green. Red is an indicator that memory resources "are depleted" and that you "may need more RAM."

Apple – How to use Activity Monitor on your Mac

I opened up a bunch of stuff not too much on Bridge or LR but some and my activity monitor showed 28GB physical memore and 38GB cached files.

I assume if I was opening or importaing a 1TB folder of images in LR this would go up but by how much I have no idea.

What does 38GB of cashed files mean and how does that affect the performance of anything by caching that much. I am sure others are as interested as I am in a better understanding of what all this means.

Also when we see 80MB sensors will that increase the need for ram?

What programs or functions of programs say PS and LR specifically benefit from

single core

multi core

use a lot of ram

require or benefit from more memory for cashed files

Thanks but on the surface it appears for now that 128GB is overkill and not needed but in my twisted mind I have to feel that somewhere along the line it may benefit me is that a correct assumption.

I realize it is not worth the money or at least I don't think it is but curious to know your thoughts or others versed on the subject.

I contacted Apple to discuss this issue, because I decided to expand my new iMac 2019 and have confirmed that although the system can recognize 128 GB of RAM, there could be certain failures that could harm the hardware and would not be covered by the guarantee. Although installing your OWN memory does not void your warranty, installing PAST the systems "allowable" memory (64gb) WILL void your warranty. It will also produce more heat than the cooling system can efficiently handle. There are some videos of places installing 128gb but sellers like OWC don't have any real world long term usage testing and they have ZERO responsibility if your machine fails because of it (only responsible for the warranty on the ram itself).

I have been running 128GB of OWC ram in my new 2019 iMac for three weeks and the machine runs much cooler than my 2017 it is not even the least bit warm.

I am not proof positive that the machine is faster but it seems like it when displaying 900 42MP raws in LR or Bridge, Fast File Reviewer and other.

Of course the processor and ram and most likely SSD are quicker than the 2017 also. Not a big difference or even noticeable perhaps in real world computing but when opening large folders like this they display noticeably quicker.

If some apps cache to the abundant ram that I have I assume that will result in faster throughput also.

It is a nice feeling knowing the machine is coasting and not even breaking a sweat no matter what I am doing.

-- hide signature --

-Terry
https://you pic.com/photographer/TerryRStahly/?mode=portfolio
https://trstahly.format.com/work#
https://500px.com/trstahly

 terryreid's gear list:terryreid's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony a6500 +21 more
graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,512
Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

terryreid wrote:

I just went to OWC and they want $1,049.00 for 128GB for the 2019 iMac?

Sounds like a deal, since the price for the 64GB upgrade on apple.com is $1000.

Basically, they're daring you to find a better deal. If Apple doesn't have it, and Crucial doesn't have it, and they're only charging $49 more for what Apple is charging for half that RAM, it's not necessarily an unfair price. It's the price that they have determined the market will bear...basic economics.

The market will not bear that price as soon as other companies decide to supply that amount, because then they will have competition.

But for 99% of the people out there, they do not have a workflow that justifies and can actually use 128GB of RAM to the extent that it makes it worth the price. Do you have such a workflow?

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 15,895
Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!
1

graybalanced wrote:

terryreid wrote:

I just went to OWC and they want $1,049.00 for 128GB for the 2019 iMac?

Sounds like a deal, since the price for the 64GB upgrade on apple.com is $1000.

Basically, they're daring you to find a better deal. If Apple doesn't have it, and Crucial doesn't have it, and they're only charging $49 more for what Apple is charging for half that RAM, it's not necessarily an unfair price. It's the price that they have determined the market will bear...basic economics.

There's something else to consider. High-density RAM often costs more than low-density RAM. OWC charges $425 for a 16 GB x 4 upgrade, or $995 for a 32 GB x 4 one. So in this case, the high-density modules cost 17% more per GB than the low-density ones.

The market will not bear that price as soon as other companies decide to supply that amount, because then they will have competition.

But for 99% of the people out there, they do not have a workflow that justifies and can actually use 128GB of RAM to the extent that it makes it worth the price. Do you have such a workflow?

Very few people need 128 GB of RAM.  Those who do can probably justify it with a better argument than "I want it."

mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 5,867
Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

LenRivers wrote:

In the process now of migration of external HD's to a newer HD. I have time machine and Backblaze and external HD back ups.

The 5K monitor so for me I am going from a late 2012 iMac to a early 2019 iMac the screen is just amazing

**

FYI that is a Apple nit pick. Only one USB to lighting cable in the box to charge up the keyboard and in my case track pad. So both can be bluetooth and charged with said cable. I will say it is nice not to bother with AA batteries in the trackpad anymore. My nit pick is maybe they give you the cables needed in an a la cart scenario. Good if you have them but they should tell you and at least FYI in the box details. SO for new users you may want a second lighting to USB cable.

I also installed my own RAM, very very easy to do. I bought it with 8gb and maxed it out with my own RAM

Just curious. Still satisfied with your new iMac 2019?

 mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R II Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +4 more
OP LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 1,116
Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

mujana wrote:

LenRivers wrote:

In the process now of migration of external HD's to a newer HD. I have time machine and Backblaze and external HD back ups.

The 5K monitor so for me I am going from a late 2012 iMac to a early 2019 iMac the screen is just amazing

**

FYI that is a Apple nit pick. Only one USB to lighting cable in the box to charge up the keyboard and in my case track pad. So both can be bluetooth and charged with said cable. I will say it is nice not to bother with AA batteries in the trackpad anymore. My nit pick is maybe they give you the cables needed in an a la cart scenario. Good if you have them but they should tell you and at least FYI in the box details. SO for new users you may want a second lighting to USB cable.

I also installed my own RAM, very very easy to do. I bought it with 8gb and maxed it out with my own RAM

Just curious. Still satisfied with your new iMac 2019?

Yes!! Not like I am going to sell it for a different Mac or switch to PC (meant with humor and fun). This is my 3rd iMac since I switched (happily) from Dell back in 2002 or so. My first was a 21" and this is my second 27" monitor and would never go back to anything smaller. I sold my old Mac back to Apple got $300 for it applied to this newer iMac as a refund to me..

One big thing is I have more space no more separate tower taking up floor or desk top real-estate

terryreid
terryreid Senior Member • Posts: 2,111
Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

LenRivers wrote:

mujana wrote:

LenRivers wrote:

In the process now of migration of external HD's to a newer HD. I have time machine and Backblaze and external HD back ups.

The 5K monitor so for me I am going from a late 2012 iMac to a early 2019 iMac the screen is just amazing

**

FYI that is a Apple nit pick. Only one USB to lighting cable in the box to charge up the keyboard and in my case track pad. So both can be bluetooth and charged with said cable. I will say it is nice not to bother with AA batteries in the trackpad anymore. My nit pick is maybe they give you the cables needed in an a la cart scenario. Good if you have them but they should tell you and at least FYI in the box details. SO for new users you may want a second lighting to USB cable.

I also installed my own RAM, very very easy to do. I bought it with 8gb and maxed it out with my own RAM

Just curious. Still satisfied with your new iMac 2019?

Yes!! Not like I am going to sell it for a different Mac or switch to PC (meant with humor and fun). This is my 3rd iMac since I switched (happily) from Dell back in 2002 or so. My first was a 21" and this is my second 27" monitor and would never go back to anything smaller. I sold my old Mac back to Apple got $300 for it applied to this newer iMac as a refund to me..

One big thing is I have more space no more separate tower taking up floor or desk top real-estate

I am happy with my 2019 loaded up with 128GB of OWC ram. Was 95% as happy with my 2017 but it had problems. It certainly is not worth upgrading unless you can make use of multi core processing.

What I need more than anything is apple software people who use the machines and can fix all the quirks with real world usage. Too many to list but I want to pull my hair out with the bone headed ways they have you doing things.

They simply do not use the machines they write the operating systems and software for.

Mail crashes so often on all three of my Mac's when double clicking a folder in iCloud or on a SSD external to open it up and sent an attachment because it attached the entire folder 35GB and crashed mail almost every time.

Add a bookmark to the toolbar favorites and it now goes to the end requiring you to go in an show all bookmarks, then scroll all the way to the end and manual move it to the front or where you want it instead of the front like before.

Fifteen other equally frustrating items, extra key stokes, mouse clicks the machines need to get out of our way not hinder productivity because some millennial geek writes code but does not understand how they are used in the real world.

Windows closing when you do not close them is also high on my list of frustratations and why we cannot have multiple docs open in many of the programs like Office and safari allows.

-- hide signature --

-Terry
https://you pic.com/photographer/TerryRStahly/?mode=portfolio
https://trstahly.format.com/work#
https://500px.com/trstahly

 terryreid's gear list:terryreid's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony a6500 +21 more
OP LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 1,116
Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

It is rare I use mail on the iMac the apple mail, I have other email I prefer.

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 15,895
Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

terryreid wrote:

Windows closing when you do not close them is also high on my list of frustratations and why we cannot have multiple docs open in many of the programs like Office and safari allows.

It's up to application vendors to decide whether to support multiple open documents – the OS can't add this feature to an application.  If an application doesn't support multiple windows, but should, you need to take it up with the application's vendor.

terryreid
terryreid Senior Member • Posts: 2,111
Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

Tom_N wrote:

terryreid wrote:

Windows closing when you do not close them is also high on my list of frustratations and why we cannot have multiple docs open in many of the programs like Office and safari allows.

It's up to application vendors to decide whether to support multiple open documents – the OS can't add this feature to an application. If an application doesn't support multiple windows, but should, you need to take it up with the application's vendor.

I understand that but the trust of my complaint with Apple being a Mac user in a big way and knowing  thing or two about Apple all these years is the stuff they do have control over.

I realize being the larges company in the world brings on its own set of problems.

There are so many almost embarrassing issues with their operating system and workflow it is hard to believe.

Are you telling me that with large monitors we still do not have an option to put the menu bar in the center at the top of the screen instead of far left corner? I sold my two 30" Apple high priced monitors years ago when the mouse pad was not big enough to scroll the the apple at the top left.

This is one of fifty common sense things that would make our lives easier. I am much more than a hobbyist photographer I actually use my iMac twelve hours a day running 10+ applications in the course of operating my companies.

There is a LOT of room for improvement.

-- hide signature --

-Terry
https://you pic.com/photographer/TerryRStahly/?mode=portfolio
https://trstahly.format.com/work#
https://500px.com/trstahly

 terryreid's gear list:terryreid's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony a6500 +21 more
D Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,158
Old Mid 2010/27" is restored!

dmanthree wrote:

Like you, I keep them for a while. My 2015 iMac is just as good as the day I bought it. I feel *no* need to upgrade.

I added memory.  It had 4 gig. It now has 16 gig.  Problem solved.  It's fast as it was when new.

-- hide signature --

DaveL
Toronto

 D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 II Nikon D300S Sony a6000
graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,512
Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

terryreid wrote:

Mail crashes so often on all three of my Mac's when double clicking a folder in iCloud or on a SSD external to open it up and sent an attachment because it attached the entire folder 35GB and crashed mail almost every time.

Add a bookmark to the toolbar favorites and it now goes to the end requiring you to go in an show all bookmarks, then scroll all the way to the end and manual move it to the front or where you want it instead of the front like before.

I am a very intensive user, lots of apps, lots of windows, and have not run into your problems.

I don't know how you're adding bookmarks to the toolbar favorites, but what I do is click the URL to display the favicon at the left of the URL, and drag that favicon directly onto the toolbar...to any position I want. If I want this new bookmark to be the third from the left, then I just drop it between the second and fourth existing shortcuts, and boom, there it is. No anguish, no drama.

Mail rarely crashes for me, even though I need to clean it out (over 10,000 emails in my Inbox).

Windows closing accidentally? Never happens to me, unless (make sure you're not doing this) I accidentally press a shortcut or gesture that would close a window or application. But that's pretty rare. This little i5 16GB RAM MacBook Pro, not even a super powered iMac, just chugs through the work, day after day, and maybe after 2 weeks I'll decide it's time to restart it for once. It's often connected to multiple displays and peripherals so it feels like a desktop when I'm at home. A great, reliable, crash-free workhorse.

terryreid
terryreid Senior Member • Posts: 2,111
Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

graybalanced wrote:

terryreid wrote:

Mail crashes so often on all three of my Mac's when double clicking a folder in iCloud or on a SSD external to open it up and sent an attachment because it attached the entire folder 35GB and crashed mail almost every time.

Add a bookmark to the toolbar favorites and it now goes to the end requiring you to go in an show all bookmarks, then scroll all the way to the end and manual move it to the front or where you want it instead of the front like before.

I am a very intensive user, lots of apps, lots of windows, and have not run into your problems.

My three Macs do have these issues.

I don't know how you're adding bookmarks to the toolbar favorites, but what I do is click the URL to display the favicon at the left of the URL, and drag that favicon directly onto the toolbar...to any position I want. If I want this new bookmark to be the third from the left, then I just drop it between the second and fourth existing shortcuts, and boom, there it is. No anguish, no drama.

I have no idea what a flavicon is but when I click on the + button or the other thing it does not allow me to place it where I want on the favorites bar at all. It goes to the end which the list is too long to grab and move it to the left. They alway were placed in the first position which is quickly available to move where ever. The change they made like most changes which is usually for changes sake not real reason makes it a several step affair to move it now.

Mail rarely crashes for me, even though I need to clean it out (over 10,000 emails in my Inbox).

I doubt you are attaching a hundred photos a day from externals and iCloud folders as I do or are in the hurry in our fast paced business. We are very heavy apple mail users. It happens on all three Macs all late model I can only assume it is iCloud related as it seems to happen when the photos reside in a folder that is on iCloud Drive.

Windows closing accidentally? Never happens to me, unless (make sure you're not doing this) I accidentally press a shortcut or gesture that would close a window or application. But that's pretty rare. This little i5 16GB RAM MacBook Pro, not even a super powered iMac, just chugs through the work, day after day, and maybe after 2 weeks I'll decide it's time to restart it for once. It's often connected to multiple displays and peripherals so it feels like a desktop when I'm at home. A great, reliable, crash-free workhorse.

I think this is more application than Mac OS but every time you turn around Filmaker Pro windows are closed when you did not close them. Not being able to have two acrobat files open side by side and others like you can with office is also a pain in the rear.

Apple has made numerous changes for the worse when it comes to the user experience and many things take an extra step now which at the speed I operate is maddening.

-- hide signature --

-Terry
https://you pic.com/photographer/TerryRStahly/?mode=portfolio
https://500px.com/trstahly

 terryreid's gear list:terryreid's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony a6500 +21 more
graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,512
Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!
1

terryreid wrote:

I doubt you are attaching a hundred photos a day from externals and iCloud folders...

No, I'm sure our workflows are different, but I assure you I do a heavy amount of work every day on my Macs, often involving graphics or video applications.

Not being able to have two acrobat files open side by side and others like you can with office is also a pain in the rear.

Well, there's another thing I do every day, without a problem. If I have two Acrobat files I press Command-Shift-L (shortcut for Window/Tile/Vertically), and boom they are side by side in less than one second.

If you have the same uncommon (in the wider world) problems happening on all of your Macs, I wonder if there is some standard software that your business installs that is screwing them all up equally because the software is always installed on your business Macs. Bonus points if such software comes with a kernel extension, which is many times more likely to destabilize a Mac. Just a guess though, but worth looking into.

graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,512
Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

terryreid wrote:

I have no idea what a flavicon is but when I click on the + button or the other thing it does not allow me to place it where I want on the favorites bar at all. It goes to the end which the list is too long to grab and move it to the left. They alway were placed in the first position which is quickly available to move where ever. The change they made like most changes which is usually for changes sake not real reason makes it a several step affair to move it now.

It's not a "flavicon", it's a "favicon".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

Click the URL once, it will change to an editable URL and the left icon is draggable. Drop it onto the toolbar. That's it.

terryreid
terryreid Senior Member • Posts: 2,111
Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

graybalanced wrote:

terryreid wrote:

I have no idea what a flavicon is but when I click on the + button or the other thing it does not allow me to place it where I want on the favorites bar at all. It goes to the end which the list is too long to grab and move it to the left. They alway were placed in the first position which is quickly available to move where ever. The change they made like most changes which is usually for changes sake not real reason makes it a several step affair to move it now.

It's not a "flavicon", it's a "favicon".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

Click the URL once, it will change to an editable URL and the left icon is draggable. Drop it onto the toolbar. That's it.

Thanks I guess even a Mac user for 33 years can learn a lot. I figure I am very competent on Photoshop but estimate I know about 8% of the program, same with Excel LR Filemaker and others I have used daily for decades. You are my hero sir!

-- hide signature --

-Terry
https://you pic.com/photographer/TerryRStahly/?mode=portfolio
https://500px.com/trstahly

 terryreid's gear list:terryreid's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony a6500 +21 more
ChrisLumix Senior Member • Posts: 2,851
Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

amateurphotographer wrote:

For me the disappointment is the screen whites, which are still slightly greenish after calibration using an xrite i1 profiler. I use the imac with an Eizo CG248 (in dual monitor mode) and the white on the imac are definitely more greenish when compared to the self calibrating Eizo.

Why use a calibrater? NO-ONE has "average" eyesight and you should calibrate according to your own eyesight. The only time you should use a calibrater is when you are producing work for others.

For me, ALL TVs and computers have screens that are too magenta, so the first thing I do on a new 'puter is recalibrate it myself giving greens and yellows a boost.

-- hide signature --

Panas0n!c Lum!x LX100, TZ60

graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,512
Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

terryreid wrote:

Thanks I guess even a Mac user for 33 years can learn a lot. I figure I am very competent on Photoshop but estimate I know about 8% of the program, same with Excel LR Filemaker and others I have used daily for decades. You are my hero sir!

Even though we've both used the Mac for about the same amount of time, it's true, none of us know 100% of everything. I bet I could learn something from you!

terryreid
terryreid Senior Member • Posts: 2,111
Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

graybalanced wrote:

terryreid wrote:

Thanks I guess even a Mac user for 33 years can learn a lot. I figure I am very competent on Photoshop but estimate I know about 8% of the program, same with Excel LR Filemaker and others I have used daily for decades. You are my hero sir!

Even though we've both used the Mac for about the same amount of time, it's true, none of us know 100% of everything. I bet I could learn something from you!

Indeed most long time users are very knowledgable but it is impossible to learn it all even some of the most basic little things like you showed me.

-- hide signature --

-Terry
https://you pic.com/photographer/TerryRStahly/?mode=portfolio
https://500px.com/trstahly

 terryreid's gear list:terryreid's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony a6500 +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads