WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 1,023
WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

In the process now of migration of external HD's to a newer HD. I have time machine and Backblaze and external HD back ups.

The 5K monitor so for me I am going from a late 2012 iMac to a early 2019 iMac the screen is just amazing

FYI that is a Apple nit pick. Only one USB to lighting cable in the box to charge up the keyboard and in my case track pad. So both can be bluetooth and charged with said cable. I will say it is nice not to bother with AA batteries in the trackpad anymore. My nit pick is maybe they give you the cables needed in an a la cart scenario. Good if you have them but they should tell you and at least FYI in the box details. SO for new users you may want a second lighting to USB cable.

I also installed my own RAM, very very easy to do.  I bought it with 8gb and maxed it out with my own RAM

Matei H New Member • Posts: 19
Re: WOW.... The new imac 2019 is Awesome!

LenRivers wrote:

In the process now of migration of external HD's to a newer HD. I have time machine and Backblaze and external HD back ups.

The 5K monitor so for me I am going from a late 2012 iMac to a early 2019 iMac the screen is just amazing

FYI that is a Apple nit pick. Only one USB to lighting cable in the box to charge up the keyboard and in my case track pad. So both can be bluetooth and charged with said cable. I will say it is nice not to bother with AA batteries in the trackpad anymore. My nit pick is maybe they give you the cables needed in an a la cart scenario. Good if you have them but they should tell you and at least FYI in the box details. SO for new users you may want a second lighting to USB cable.

I also installed my own RAM, very very easy to do. I bought it with 8gb and maxed it out with my own RAM

Hello @LenRivers what did you upgrade the ram to? 64 or 128GB?

Matei H's gear list:Matei H's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Deji
Deji Regular Member • Posts: 155

From which company did you purchase the additional RAM?

-- hide signature --

Deji

Deji's gear list:Deji's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +12 more
OP LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 1,023

Matei H wrote:

LenRivers wrote:

I also installed my own RAM, very very easy to do. I bought it with 8gb and maxed it out with my own RAM

It maxes out at 64 gb. So 4 of the 16 gb sticks. I think I saved a good part of $600 this way

Just popped out the two 4 gb sticks it came with.

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 15,783

LenRivers wrote:

Matei H wrote:

It maxes out at 64 gb. So 4 of the 16 gb sticks. I think I saved a good part of $600 this way

While 64 GB is the official limit, OWC is selling a 128 GB kit.  That said, 64 GB of RAM is likely to be overkill.  If you had gone for 128 GB, you'd be out another $500+ for no real return (for photography applications).

Tom_N wrote:

LenRivers wrote:

Matei H wrote:

While 64 GB is the official limit, OWC is selling a 128 GB kit. That said, 64 GB of RAM is likely to be overkill. If you had gone for 128 GB, you'd be out another $500+ for no real return (for photography applications).

Yeah, I am totally good with 64 gb

Deji wrote:

Other world computing.  Never heard of them till I got the referral here on the forums.

The other brand I knew was Crucial, but so far ok with this.

https://www.macsales.com

graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,511

LenRivers wrote:

Deji wrote:

Other world computing. Never heard of them till I got the referral here on the forums.

OWC has been an important supplier of Mac-friendly supplies for so long, I think I've probably been ordering drives, cables, and RAM from them for 20 years or more.

But if Crucial has it cheaper I get it from Crucial.

graybalanced wrote:

LenRivers wrote:

Deji wrote:

Other world computing. Never heard of them till I got the referral here on the forums.

OWC has been an important supplier of Mac-friendly supplies for so long, I think I've probably been ordering drives, cables, and RAM from them for 20 years or more.

But if Crucial has it cheaper I get it from Crucial.

Ok cool...  I am very satisfied.

SkiHound Veteran Member • Posts: 3,614

So what are the other specs on this? Did you go i9 and Vega 48? I'm tentatively planning to buy one since I'm still on an old mac mini. OWC has a very good reputation. OWC and Crucial seem to be very reliable sources for ram.

MrGubrz
MrGubrz Senior Member • Posts: 1,352

those batteries last forever; you really dont need a cable for both the keyboard and trackpad.

also, my iMac pro is at 32g ram, and I dont think ive come close to needing it. so 64 may just be wasted money? I dont do video tho

MrGubrz's gear list:MrGubrz's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7 III Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +11 more

MrGubrz wrote:

those batteries last forever; you really dont need a cable for both the keyboard and trackpad.

also, my iMac pro is at 32g ram, and I dont think ive come close to needing it. so 64 may just be wasted money? I dont do video tho

I do occasional video and I bought the Mac via the PPA portal EPP program so I was already saving a few hundred off the top

terryreid
terryreid Senior Member • Posts: 2,071

LenRivers wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

LenRivers wrote:

Matei H wrote:

While 64 GB is the official limit, OWC is selling a 128 GB kit. That said, 64 GB of RAM is likely to be overkill. If you had gone for 128 GB, you'd be out another $500+ for no real return (for photography applications).

DDR4 2400mhz or 2600 like Apple sells in it?

I have the 2017 so single core is only 9-11% faster sadly. If they would have just added one or two more thunderbolt 3 slots in the rear I would have upgraded just for that.

It is not worth taking the time to migrate for 10% so I will either get the upcoming Mac Pro or the next iMac with upgraded displays. I really wanted to upgrade but its not worth it from a maxed out 2017.

-- hide signature --

-Terry
https://you pic.com/photographer/TerryRStahly/?mode=portfolio
https://trstahly.format.com/work#
https://500px.com/trstahly

terryreid's gear list:terryreid's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony a6500 +19 more

terryreid wrote:

LenRivers wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

LenRivers wrote:

Matei H wrote:

I have the 2017 so single core is only 9-11% faster sadly. If they would have just added one or two more thunderbolt 3 slots in the rear I would have upgraded just for that.

It is not worth taking the time to migrate for 10% so I will either get the upcoming Mac Pro or the next iMac with upgraded displays. I really wanted to upgrade but its not worth it from a maxed out 2017.

Yeah, my upgrade is from a 2012 iMac.   The extra RAM is the 2600 just like Other World computing recommend and matches Apple.

Originally I bought the 2017 iMac with 32 Gig's.  I discovered you could upgrade RAM so I canceled the order and re ordered with just 8 gigs same 2017 iMac.

2 days later the 2019 iMac gets announced and I called Apple back to cancel that order.  The return policy is 14 days anyway and I would have just retuned the computer un opened.

They were great and it made sense to me to get the newest since I tend to keep computers 5-9 years.  I maxed it out for the most longevity.  My usage  can change

terryreid
terryreid Senior Member • Posts: 2,071

LenRivers wrote:

terryreid wrote:

LenRivers wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

LenRivers wrote:

Matei H wrote:

Yeah, my upgrade is from a 2012 iMac. The extra RAM is the 2600 just like Other World computing recommend and matches Apple.

Originally I bought the 2017 iMac with 32 Gig's. I discovered you could upgrade RAM so I canceled the order and re ordered with just 8 gigs same 2017 iMac.

2 days later the 2019 iMac gets announced and I called Apple back to cancel that order. The return policy is 14 days anyway and I would have just retuned the computer un opened.

They were great and it made sense to me to get the newest since I tend to keep computers 5-9 years. I maxed it out for the most longevity. My usage can change

Good job and lucky you on timing.

-- hide signature --

-Terry
https://you pic.com/photographer/TerryRStahly/?mode=portfolio
https://trstahly.format.com/work#
https://500px.com/trstahly

terryreid's gear list:terryreid's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony a6500 +19 more

thanks !

Matei H New Member • Posts: 19

Apparently the i9 can go all the way up to 128. OWC fully tested it and they sell the ram!

Matei H's gear list:Matei H's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,511

MrGubrz wrote:

Most people don't need 64GB. A few users working with large numbers of large Photoshop files can use more, like the guy who runs the Mac Performance Guide website...

Why I NEED 80GB or 96GB Memory in my Mac Pro

My needs are met at 32GB and it's even OK on my 16GB MacBook Pro. If I got a new Mac I would probably stay at 32GB.

But the same guy makes some more recent arguments for 64GB that sound good

2017 iMac 5K: Photoshop Benchmarks, 64GB vs 8GB Memory

Memory: It’s Great to Have 64GB in the iMac 5K

I guess, if you have the money, 64GB is a good place to be, but if you don't have the money, 32GB is high enough to keep you out of most memory bottleneck situations (VM swapping, RAM compression...).

rb0321
rb0321 Senior Member • Posts: 2,715

LenRivers wrote:

Look at the size of that bezel though. It's an old design and one of the biggest bezels of any modern screen. It's as big as the one on my old 2009 21.5" iMac. Makes the whole unit larger than it needs to be.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/rb00321/

rb0321's gear list:rb0321's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +1 more

rb0321 wrote:

LenRivers wrote:

Look at the size of that bezel though. It's an old design and one of the biggest bezels of any modern screen. It's as big as the one on my old 2009 21.5" iMac. Makes the whole unit larger than it needs to be.

Its ok.  This is my 2nd 27" iMac

It is amazing and I am never going back to the 21" small screen.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads