Kingfisher model poses

Started 10 months ago | Photos
Denjw
Denjw Veteran Member • Posts: 6,418
Kingfisher model poses

nicely for me and even brought its own green screen!:-O

My usual haunt for kingfishers, the billabong is very dry/overgrown and only stagnant water left due to a 2 year drought in my region.

So I ventured some 40km to another location where I had seen them regularly. Its a creek which becomes a arm of an inland lake.

After waiting for about and hour a couple appeared across the other side of the creek. By this time the light had deteriorated and my side of the bank was now in shade. Then suddenly one flew up to a perch right near me.  It proceeded to change position on the same perch a good period of time enabling me to capture some nice shots.

The green background is actually the creek water which is very low and hardly running with green algae in it.

First capture is at ISO 6400 as I was in my BIF mode with auto ISO when the bird arrived

Switched to my normal static bird mode with set ISO 400

Switched to Pro Capture mode hoping to get a take off shot but bird ended taking off directly away from me and none of the images were worth showing. Auto ISO 3200

Dennis

-- hide signature --
 Denjw's gear list:Denjw's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
Paul Auclair
Paul Auclair Veteran Member • Posts: 5,349
Re: Kingfisher model poses

Nice Dennis.

All of my Custom modes are set to ISO 400.

I dabbled a wee bit with Auto ISO w/ the mk2 but there were a few times the camera chose too wrong.

I revisited Auto ISO with the 1X and it appears I may be able to use Auto ISO a lot more if I require it.

-- hide signature --

as always,
thank you fellow DPR members for your kind words and encouragement.

Lichtspiel
Lichtspiel Senior Member • Posts: 1,897

Wonderful model, perfect images. I am amazed at how much detail is kept at 6400 (and 3200 as well).

Lichtspiel's gear list:Lichtspiel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +3 more
sanjaykool Senior Member • Posts: 1,082

Lovely series TFS - Sanjay

cangopluto Senior Member • Posts: 1,352

A beauty  - and superbly captured.

cangopluto's gear list:cangopluto's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-500 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
joeletx Senior Member • Posts: 2,756

All great shots with beautiful color. By far, these are your best yet.

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +8 more
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 16,102

Very good, must be nice to have one sit still for you.

-- hide signature --

Recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 8,651

Wonderful images Dennis. Your patience was rewarded.

the 2nd last is my favourite - back to camera showing that beautiful azure

I’ve never had an Azure KF fly up to me like that. I find they have a wide exclusion zone and will head to the other bank rather than let me get more than a brief flash of colour and maybe if I’m lucky one good shot - I’m not a Kingfisher Whisperer 

Sad about your billabong, it’s been such a great place for your birds for a long time.

Peter

19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 34,283

A wonderfully done set Dennis.

Andrew

nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,633
Beautiful shots Den

Got some great poses there and looking at the larger views, fine feathering details. Gorgeous KF shots.

Man, you need some moving water by the sounds of it Den. Makes for a nice B/G, but gees, moving water is not something we lack here.

All the best over there and yeah, fantastic detailed KF shots.

Danny.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads