Dual Micro SD to CF Express Adapter

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
GeorgioDS New Member • Posts: 15
Dual Micro SD to CF Express Adapter

There are many types of card adapters on the market. Perhaps a manufacturer would consider making a CF Express adapter to hold two micro SD cards in a RAID 1 (striping) configuration. This would effectively solve the lack of storage redundancy offered by both Nikon and Canon in their latest mirrorless offerings...Thoughts?

GeorgioDS's gear list:GeorgioDS's gear list
Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z7 +1 more
edform
edform Veteran Member • Posts: 6,474
Re: Dual Micro SD to CF Express Adapter

GeorgioDS wrote:

There are many types of card adapters on the market. Perhaps a manufacturer would consider making a CF Express adapter to hold two micro SD cards in a RAID 1 (striping) configuration. This would effectively solve the lack of storage redundancy offered by both Nikon and Canon in their latest mirrorless offerings...Thoughts?

It's a lovely thought, but RAID 1 is mirroring, not striping which would not be a backup at all

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +1 more
Droster Contributing Member • Posts: 521

GeorgioDS wrote:

Triple nope. The camera will only see it as a single card, you'll be throttled to the microSD's speed AND putting your data on a recording medium that can be much much more easily compromised.

Droster's gear list:Droster's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,381

GeorgioDS wrote:

I don't see this as a solution to the lack of redundancy.  You'd still have single points of failure in the adapter itself, and the camera's card slot contacts.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +19 more
OP GeorgioDS New Member • Posts: 15

I would imagine that the card adapter would have “mirroring” that would be transparent to the camera. Micro SD speeds should have no problem with still images, and if there was a failure of either the adapter or one of the micro SD cards, there would still be a redundant card holding previously taken images...

GeorgioDS's gear list:GeorgioDS's gear list
Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z7 +1 more
Droster Contributing Member • Posts: 521

GeorgioDS wrote:

I would imagine that the card adapter would have “mirroring” that would be transparent to the camera. Micro SD speeds should have no problem with still images, and if there was a failure of either the adapter or one of the micro SD cards, there would still be a redundant card holding previously taken images...

There's still only one interface between the card and camera and if you're worried about an error happening at that interface level then data couldn't be written to the first SD card before it could get the chance to be mirrored into the second.

If you're not worried about an error happening at that level, then.. just get a normal XQD/CFx. Otherwise you'll just be introducing more points of failure after that point.

Droster's gear list:Droster's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
TITCHY Senior Member • Posts: 1,271

briantilley wrote:

GeorgioDS wrote:

I don't see this as a solution to the lack of redundancy. You'd still have single points of failure in the adapter itself, and the camera's card slot contacts.

more to the point you would be adding points of failure , the only photographers who truly need a dual card system  as I see it are firstly wedding photographers , mainly as a wedding is for many a once in a lifetime deal , and maybe Pro's who are contracted for an important one off shoot .  I remember a thread a long time ago , where someone asked the question , "what do you use your second card slot for", and if I remember rightly the replies where "for video"  "for overflow"  and some choose to use their two slots for RAW  - Jpg. but I believe just about no one used them as a backup (duplicate) yet as soon as Camera manufacturers start to use single card slots again ,the only argument is , that there is no back-up. I have had quite a few of the nikon range since my first digital (D70)  D100-200-300, D700-800-810 D750, and 3 DF's, and only ever had 2 corrupt card warnings , both with my trusty D300 , and both cards were recoverable . the DF has only one SD card slot ,and never a problem , now we have XQD and soon to be CF express , the fastest most reliable cards ever (not to mention how sturdy they are.  I have had SD cards brake during inserting or removing , and as for the moans about the price of XQD, A CF card thats as fast would be a similar price ,but never be as sturdy.

TITCHY's gear list:TITCHY's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +57 more
EvPa Regular Member • Posts: 145

Made me think of this:

EvPa's gear list:EvPa's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8
sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 3,424

GeorgioDS wrote:

In my experience with adapaters, an adapter is more likely to fail on you (I've had dozens of them fail) before an XQD/CF/CFX card fails.  I originally was in the same boat, worried about needing dual cards.  But honestly, if you get good brand name cards (of any type: CF, XQD, SD) your chances of issues with the cards themselves is much lower.  It's the cheap cards you have to worry about.  I have yet to have one of my more current sets of SD cards to go bad.  And supposedly XQD is supposed to be at least as reliable if not more reliable than SD (or so I read).

Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I have never had to use the backup card from my camera, ever (when I had my D750) but I still ran it in backup mode (and I had that camera for 2.5 years with SD cards that were probably older than that).

Again, you're going to introduce more points of failure, and the card adapter itself will probably fail before the cards do, or your camera does.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +16 more
JJoyce4699
JJoyce4699 Contributing Member • Posts: 965

briantilley wrote:

GeorgioDS wrote:

I don't see this as a solution to the lack of redundancy. You'd still have single points of failure in the adapter itself, and the camera's card slot contacts.

Not to mention all the other single points of failure, like the sensor, shutter, PCB board, shutter button, power switch, battery...

Darn that single card slot.

-- hide signature --

- JJ

JJoyce4699's gear list:JJoyce4699's gear list
Canon G7 X II Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 3,424

JJoyce4699 wrote:

briantilley wrote:

GeorgioDS wrote:

Not to mention all the other single points of failure, like the sensor, shutter, PCB board, shutter button, power switch, battery...

Darn that single card slot.

I'm sure that Nikon (and Canon) are taking the heat for a single card slot and will likely put a second one (even if it's a micro SD/regular SD) on their next bodies and all bodies after that (or perhaps two XQD/CFX, especially if they're going to be charging $3300 for a body).

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads