XF-10 auto focus problems - are they real?

Started 6 months ago | Questions
steppenwolfer Senior Member • Posts: 1,038
Re: XF-10 auto focus problems - are they real?

I am using XF-10 for some time now and I noticed that a lot of my photos are not sharp due to holding technique. Since camera does not have VF it is harder to stabilize it. In less than ideal lighting conditions camera defaults to rather low shutter speeds (in A mode) in order to keep ISO as low as possible. I set it to minimum shutter speed of 1/40 but still, sometimes it is not fast enough, since camera is light and I suspect even pressing shutter button could introduce slight movement.

Last week I shoot same object from ground up, single hand operation. Fist I left camera in A mode f4 and it set shutter of 1/40 and ISO accordingly. Photo was ok, but I could see it was not really sharp.

Since I wanted to keep f4, I put camera into M mode, set shutter to 1/100 and ISO was set accordingly. Photo taken was significantly sharper.

Unfortunately, I don't have samples to share at hand. But wanted to share my experience, that holding technique is quiet important with this camera, especially since it does not have stabilization.

I bought this camera more out of curiosity to get into Fuji system and find more about colors and film simulations. Although it is not fastest camera it somehow grew on me and I don't even consider to sell it anymore.

steppenwolfer's gear list:steppenwolfer's gear list
Sony RX100 V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +8 more
roberthd12 Regular Member • Posts: 409

steppenwolfer wrote:

I am using XF-10 for some time now and I noticed that a lot of my photos are not sharp due to holding technique. Since camera does not have VF it is harder to stabilize it. In less than ideal lighting conditions camera defaults to rather low shutter speeds (in A mode) in order to keep ISO as low as possible. I set it to minimum shutter speed of 1/40 but still, sometimes it is not fast enough, since camera is light and I suspect even pressing shutter button could introduce slight movement.

Last week I shoot same object from ground up, single hand operation. Fist I left camera in A mode f4 and it set shutter of 1/40 and ISO accordingly. Photo was ok, but I could see it was not really sharp.

Since I wanted to keep f4, I put camera into M mode, set shutter to 1/100 and ISO was set accordingly. Photo taken was significantly sharper.

Unfortunately, I don't have samples to share at hand. But wanted to share my experience, that holding technique is quiet important with this camera, especially since it does not have stabilization.

I bought this camera more out of curiosity to get into Fuji system and find more about colors and film simulations. Although it is not fastest camera it somehow grew on me and I don't even consider to sell it anymore.

Thanks for these thoughts. I agree that the lack of stabilization and the lightness of the camera require different techniques. My Oly cameras and lenses, of course, never had this problem due to spot-on focus and image stabilization. Plus, the weight. But as you say, it's a good entry to the Fuji system. I am keeping mine despite the way-too-many focus confirmations that turn out to be bogus. The image quality on the keepers is great and people are right––there is something special about the Fuji images. Sure, the higher resolution and excellent sensor/lenses are a factor, but I find the realism of the images is better than any other APS-C system. Have been also trying the XT-30, and will likely purchase.

-- hide signature --
 roberthd12's gear list:roberthd12's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +14 more
Smallpox
Smallpox Regular Member • Posts: 361

steppenwolfer wrote:

Yeah, it's special. I see it as a sort of über smartphone. Fixed lens, no stabilization. Nicer to hold and operate though. Not to mention IQ after PP!

-- hide signature --

Only drummers can travel in time

MummRa Junior Member • Posts: 25

roedj wrote:

I am very interested in acquiring a Fuji XF-10. It satisfies, at at least according to the specs, most of my needs (I do wish it had a tiltable screen). My main concern is the auto focus. I have watched several reviews on youtube and they're all over the place when it comes to auto focus. Some claim there's no problem and others say that it drove them crazy.

I don't understand the lack of consistency in these reviews. How can the review of the auto focus range from OK to awful? Does Fuji have a quality control issue? Even those who used the SNAPSHOT mode claim that they're not happy with the result.

Does anyone have any idea as to what's going on here? I'm having a hard time believing it's all operator error.

As always, thanks for your time and help.

Dan

If this helps u, this is one of the first 5 shots that i took with the camera, not knowing the menu and the settings or where the button was, i took it out of the box, charged it 30 minutes and went for a walk.

The seagull was flying on my side trying to land, i just had 1 second to rise the cam and snap the picture.

I don't have the original file with me atm, this is the download of a Instagram post, so the quality can be a little bad.

Who says that a xf10 is not suitable for bird photography is wrong

Edit, found the original JPEG on my phone:

Now, after 1 month with it, I learned how the camera focus and what are they failures, once you understand this little friend, the focus will almost never fail you.

MummRa's gear list:MummRa's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Nikon D5500 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads