Should amatuer buy pro lens?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 20,023
It's just gear, man

imperial wrote:

I can't convince myself enough to buy the Sony 70-200mm gm lens because of the price. I have saved up money for it, but i can't get over the fact that i'm just a amateur photographer and none of these photos I take are going to pay off the equipment i have purchased. Do any of you get this problem?

If you want it and can afford it, then get it!  Don't confuse life's little luxuries with moral decay.  God, assuming he exists, is not going to give you points for shooting with kit lenses all your life.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 10,846
Re: Should amatuer buy pro lens?

Lots of good advice but to keep in mind that in some countries you could be arrested for unlawful impersonation of a professional photographer.

Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 13,086

Im the opposite i do pro work with amateur lens a pro photographer friend always said to me dont waste your profits on expensive gear.

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM5mk2 ,EM1mk2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1

lilBuddha Veteran Member • Posts: 4,370
Re: It's just gear, man

Glen Barrington wrote:

imperial wrote:

I can't convince myself enough to buy the Sony 70-200mm gm lens because of the price. I have saved up money for it, but i can't get over the fact that i'm just a amateur photographer and none of these photos I take are going to pay off the equipment i have purchased. Do any of you get this problem?

If you want it and can afford it, then get it! Don't confuse life's little luxuries with moral decay. God, assuming he exists, is not going to give you points for shooting with kit lenses all your life.

Which god?

Hello123
Hello123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,319
Re: It's just gear, man

Glen Barrington wrote:

imperial wrote:

If you want it and can afford it, then get it! Don't confuse life's little luxuries with moral decay. God, assuming he exists, is not going to give you points for shooting with kit lenses all your life.

In other words, one can say own the gear, don't let it own you.

Mike in Danville New Member • Posts: 13

I am an amateur, I bought a Canon L-series lens on Craigslist.Basically got the lens for 50% of new price

The difference was amazing, never looked back.  Buying used lens is an option to consider, especially if you are struggling with the price of a new lens

Mike in Danville's gear list:Mike in Danville's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200 F4 II
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 6,204
I got a Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 to shoot my daughter at gymnastics . . .

imperial wrote:

I got a used Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 to shoot my daughter at gymnastics competitions.

Buying used was considerably cheaper than buying new.

And it made all the difference as far as getting better captures more easily.

It is definitely one of my favourite lenses.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
ZX11
ZX11 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,830
Re: Ski much?

Don Lacy wrote:

ZX11 wrote:

MediaArchivist wrote:

I have friends that ski. A lot. They spend a lot of money skiing, and have no delusions of ever making any money from it.

Some of them have quite a bit of "pro" gear.

But skiing is fun and gets the heart racing. Photography only gets the heart racing if the tripod falls over.

You need to find better subjects to photograph.

Only picture of a tripod falling over, that I have.

I do like that when I use the GoPro Session in the snow, I can drop it in a drift and pick it back up next spring, and it will be fine.

-- hide signature --

"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."
"He's dead, Jim! You grab his tri-corder. I'll get his wallet."

ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
upptick
upptick Regular Member • Posts: 448

imperial wrote:

Sounds like this presents a moral dilemma for you -- good on you for having a conscience!  Some people who can afford luxuries decline to indulge in them for various reasons.  Others are more than happy to spend whatever money they have on themselves.    Billionaire Larry Ellison spends his money buying megayachts and entire islands.   Billionaire Bill Gates is literally curing malaria with his fortune.  Who is the better man?

Don Lacy
Don Lacy Senior Member • Posts: 2,036

I ZX11 wrote:

Don Lacy wrote:

ZX11 wrote:

MediaArchivist wrote:

I have friends that ski. A lot. They spend a lot of money skiing, and have no delusions of ever making any money from it.

But skiing is fun and gets the heart racing. Photography only gets the heart racing if the tripod falls over.

You need to find better subjects to photograph.

Only picture of a tripod falling over, that I have.

I do like that when I use the GoPro Session in the snow, I can drop it in a drift and pick it back up next spring, and it will be fine.

I was referring to photography in general if you don’t have fun or get excited doing it. BTW my dog has never seen snow I wonder how she would react.

-
Don Lacy
https://500px.com/lacy
http://www.witnessnature.net/

Don Lacy's gear list:Don Lacy's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M100 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +11 more
ZX11
ZX11 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,830
Ah, makes more sense that way.

The limits of forum communications.

-- hide signature --

"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."
"He's dead, Jim! You grab his tri-corder. I'll get his wallet."

ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,721
It's evident already

imperial wrote:

You'll have buyer's remorse.  It's a matter of when.

-- hide signature --

Stay thirsty, my friends.
I'll try to be nicer if you'll try to be smarter.
Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,409

Sounds like you are concerned about the cost, or maybe you would feel guilty using a top of the line piece of equipment.  If cost is an issue then you have to decide where you get the most benefit from your money and focus on that.  For this reason I've never been interested in the expensive 70-200 models.  There are options if you need the utility of the 70-200- some camera manufacturers offer 70-200 f4 for a lot less than 70-200 f2.8.  I've seen several pro photographers use the f4 versions to save weight and size, saying if you don't need f2.8 then carry the lighter lens.  Another option to save money is to consider Sigma or Tamron, both of which now have very good 70-200 f2.8 models on the market.

I considered the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 but it is fairly heavy so I bought the Nikon 70-200 f4 instead.  The weight savings was more beneficial to me than having f2.8 available.

jjdp Regular Member • Posts: 306

Should an amateur have an a7RIII?  Don't f*** around. Get the good glass. I had the same reservations about the 24mm f/1.8. Got one second-hand and still thought it was expensive. But it's become one of my most-used lenses. No regrets.

-- hide signature --

@moshuajusic

GrapeJam
GrapeJam Senior Member • Posts: 2,717

You buy what you like, just make sure you know how to use them properly. I've seen way too many amateurs with pro grade lenses that don't know how to use shallow DOF responsibly and the photos ended up blurry messes with the OOF bits completely distract from the subject.

GrapeJam's gear list:GrapeJam's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 26,009
Why not?

imperial wrote:

How many people's hobbies "pay for themselves"?  Unless you start an actual business, no hobby is going to pay back everything or even a fraction of what you've paid into it.  You buy what makes you happy while still fitting into a budget.

Mark

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 26,009

ZX11 wrote:

MediaArchivist wrote:

The day photography stops being fun for me is the day I'll sell my gear and find a new hobby.  Skiing is a very physical activity, and of course it's going to "get the heart racing".  Not every hobby is going to be quite that physical, lol.

TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 6,204
Re: Why not?

Mark B. wrote:

imperial wrote:

How many people's hobbies "pay for themselves"? Unless you start an actual business, no hobby is going to pay back everything or even a fraction of what you've paid into it. You buy what makes you happy while still fitting into a budget.

Mark

+3

A few points . . .

1. Everyone can use a hobby. And as Mark points out, the goal of a hobby is not to make money but to do something you like.

2. Also, sometimes a payback isn't monetary. For me, getting an old Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 zoom was to get shots of my daughter at her gymnastics competitions. Getting that lens let me get those shots more easily than a variable aperture lens. And the results were better. My payback was getting shots of my daughter doing what she loved.

3. Sometimes having the right tools pushes you over the edge. When I got the 80-200mm f/2.8 I wasn't thinking, ok, this can lead to paying jobs. I just wanted shots of my daughter at gymnastics competitions. But having that lens and seeing what it was capable of, I started to learn more about what I could do with it. And then people started asking me and my wife to take pictures of them and insisted on paying us ... to the point where I have actually made enough on the side to pay for all the camera gear I've bought over the years.

So ... in my case, having that lens not only paid for itself, but went on to pay for all the camera gear I've ever bought.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
jeffnles1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,117

imperial wrote:

There are many ways for your photography to pay for itself and not all of them involve income.

Personal story.  After 36 years in a high stress project management job.  Blood pressure was up, I couldn't sleep well, I had a very short fuse on my temper and was working about 60 hours a week.  After a 12 or more hour day in the office, I only wanted to flop down on the couch and do nothing until the alarm went off at 6:00am the next morning to start it all over again.

I've always had a passion for photography, nature, wildlife and outdoor photography in particular.   2 years ago, I retired.  At least 3 times a week year around (many weeks 4 or 5 days a week) I get out in the field with my camera gear and shoot.  I've sold a few images here and there but I'm not a pro and I don't make money from my photography.

So, you ask, how does my photography pay for itself?  Easy, my blood pressure is completely normal now, I sleep like a baby, I don't snap at my wife about stupid stuff (I don't even snap over bigger stuff, it just rolls off my back), I've lost about 25 pounds and I wake up every morning excited about what the day will bring (will I go shoot something new, will I work on post-processing).  The biggest decisions I have to make are will I get my house chores done before or after I go shooting.

The money I've spent on photo gear has repaid itself 100X in my quality of life.  That is something money cannot buy.

My advise to you is if you're not spending grocery or rent money on the camera gear, life is very short.  Go for it, buy the stuff you want and need.  Just don't short change your retirement benefits or your family but if it is money you've saved for this, do it.

When you are old and nearing the end of your life do you really think you'll be saying "If I had only not spent that $3,000 for the lens I would have lived longer and been happier?"

Jeff

jeffnles1's gear list:jeffnles1's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 +2 more
Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 13,086
Re: Why not?

Me too. Enough to pay not only all my gear but my new studio as well as my daughters ballet lessons.

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM5mk2 ,EM1mk2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads