Yes for Q1 No for Q2
46% 23  votes
No for Q1 Yes for Q2
10% 5  votes
No for both
24% 12  votes
  Show results
Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JYPfoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,341
Re: Is your GRIII control dial wobbly etc?

When turned off the lens looks slightly overcentered, but then again so does the GRII sitting right next to me.  Powered on, it looks fine.

For the control dial if you mean if you rotate the dial does the icon that has the macro mode, drive mode, etc wiggle a little?  Yes, but does it really matter?  Lots of cameras have slight issues like this including my old Canon M50 which didn’t have a flip out screen that was centered when closed, my Fuji X100F which would have a wobbly shutter release, etc.

OP rondom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,196

JYPfoto wrote:

When turned off the lens looks slightly overcentered, but then again so does the GRII sitting right next to me. Powered on, it looks fine.

For the control dial if you mean if you rotate the dial does the icon that has the macro mode, drive mode, etc wiggle a little?

yes

Yes, but does it really matter?

if some units do and others don't it sort of does. If they all behave the same way, I would be less bothered but I would consider it a design defect (vs. assembly/manufacturing defect)

Lots of cameras have slight issues like this including my old Canon M50 which didn’t have a flip out screen that was centered when closed, my Fuji X100F which would have a wobbly shutter release, etc.

thank you for the feedback!

Peabody11 New Member • Posts: 1

Yes, I have the wobbly dial. Not sure whether to return or not.

Peabody11 wrote:

Well at least you know that you shouldn’t ask for a replacement unit

Based on these results I would keep it.

In my case I have two GRII and as long as they keep on going I am not ordering a GRIII.

teemodk Senior Member • Posts: 1,283

Peabody11 wrote:

Suggest you test it out a few days. Then you will know if you like it and if it does what you want from it. Reading probably won't get you any closer to a sound decision (except for this thread, that is actually a good pointer to whether there is an issue or not).

ekaton Contributing Member • Posts: 956

rondom wrote:

Please respond if you already own a GRIII

Q1. Is your GRIII control dial wobbly?

Q2. Is your lens off-centered?

Thank you in advance!

Q3 is missing, which would read: was your decision to buy the GRIII wobbly?

If yes, you will definitely find more "flaws" than if you had bought it for taking pictures.

ekaton's gear list:ekaton's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Sony RX1R II Leica CL Sony a7R IV Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +12 more
nawknai Senior Member • Posts: 1,062
Off-center?

By “off-center”, what do you mean?

A. The lens appears tilted (not perpendicular) relative to the camera body

B. The entire lens barrel appears to be physically shifted slight left/right/up/down from the centre of the hole (in the camera body) meant for the lens assembly?

I’m curious too. When I received my GRIII, I charged it up and took photos. Didn’t notice a wobble in the jog dial, or the lens centering. I DID notice that the symbols around the control dial (WB, Macro, etc) were slightly rotated. Annoying, but not a deal-breaker.

I noticed the sensor click-clacking when I shook the camera, but it’s not loud, and according to others, it is like this with every Pentax IBIS (SR), as well as a few other brands. It’s my 1st Ricoh, and my 1st Pentax, so if their IBIS has always been like this, then no big deal.

nawknai's gear list:nawknai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Re: Off-center?

nawknai wrote:

B. The entire lens barrel appears to be physically shifted slight left/right/up/down from the centre of the hole (in the camera body) meant for the lens assembly?

I’m curious too. When I received my GRIII, I charged it up and took photos. Didn’t notice a wobble in the jog dial, or the lens centering. I DID notice that the symbols around the control dial (WB, Macro, etc) were slightly rotated. Annoying, but not a deal-breaker.

I noticed the sensor click-clacking when I shook the camera, but it’s not loud, and according to others, it is like this with every Pentax IBIS (SR), as well as a few other brands. It’s my 1st Ricoh, and my 1st Pentax, so if their IBIS has always been like this, then no big deal.

B.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62466086

Thanks. I needed a laugh!

The little icons within the jog dial actually do rotate/wiggle slightly  It’s annoying, but cosmetic, and I hadn’t noticed it after 3 days, so....meh.

It does explain why the icons aren’t aligned to 12, 3, 6, and 9 o’clock.

rondom wrote:

nawknai wrote:

B.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62466086

eyewanders New Member • Posts: 1

nawknai wrote:

Yes, all Pentax IBIS cameras make a bit of clicking noise. You get used to it. GRIII feels/sounds just like my K-3 more or less.

Wobbly dial doesn't bother me. I figure it's by design to provide some give to the dial action. Odd that this has become "a thing".

ogl
ogl Senior Member • Posts: 1,619

rondom wrote:

Thank you in advance!

GR3 is recalled in Korea and Japan with such defects

http://www.pentaximaging.co.kr/mall/customer/bbs_view.asp?bbs_idx=3374&bbs_code=1&bbs_class=

http://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info3/2019/20190329_027457.html?_ga=2.128931532.1334259798.1553845030-1271830547.1552280288

ogl's gear list:ogl's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited

ogl wrote:

rondom wrote:

Thank you in advance!

GR3 is recalled in Korea and Japan with such defects

http://www.pentaximaging.co.kr/mall/customer/bbs_view.asp?bbs_idx=3374&bbs_code=1&bbs_class=

http://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info3/2019/20190329_027457.html?_ga=2.128931532.1334259798.1553845030-1271830547.1552280288

Everything is magnified and exaggerated on the Internet. I wanted to get at the bottom of this problem, hence the poll. I think we now know that this is indeed a quality control issue with GRIII: some units seem to “suffer” more than others. But, it is by no means a catastrophic disaster as it is tirelessly trying to be presented by some.

In my experience the GR cameras wear out earlier than others. I admit, I never owned a GR(D) that didn’t develop issues along the way. It may be bad luck. It may also be that I tend to use it heavier than the other cameras that i have owned. It could also be built quality. I don’t know, and I don’t really care because I like the photos coming out of them.

one other thing: the GR(D) was always priced very competitively until GRIII. I think Ricoh this time chose a more confident approach in the pricing. It will be interesting to see how they will do. My guess is that they might have to revisit the price soon. I really wish them the best. It’s important to keep in mind that it took them a long time to release GRIII. They broke the two year cycle. If things don’t go as planned we might have to wait even longer for GRIV. And as much as I don’t care about renewing gear as often as it released, it is important that the companies refresh them. Because when the time comes for a new camera we might not find it. This is a niche product which I hope continues to exist.

eyewanders wrote:

Wobbly dial doesn't bother me. I figure it's by design to provide some give to the dial action. Odd that this has become "a thing".

Oh come on! I love my GR-III, but it’s definitely a defect.

Do I care too much about it? Not at all, but lets just call it what it is.

123wait Junior Member • Posts: 28

I'm really enjoying my GR III. Really amazing photos. It feels solid, too, except for the dial. Yes, it is loose. I just took my GR III on a long hike and I don't know if dirt got under the dial or what, but the dial now kind of squeaks. For the most part, don't really care, but yes, it is what it is.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads