Today I received Ricoh GR III but immediately returned because of defects.

Started Mar 26, 2019 | Discussions
RTFMPL Forum Member • Posts: 68
Today I received Ricoh GR III but immediately returned because of defects.

The button shakes and the lens unit seems off-centered

You can see the videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiE9ljP4Oyb7fEANC_q21Fg?view_as=subscriber

So now I`m waiting for replacement:-|

RTFMPL's gear list:RTFMPL's gear list
Ricoh GR III
Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rondom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,196
Re: Today I received Ricoh GR III but immediately returned because of defects.

RTFMPL wrote:

wobbly button: replacement unit will most likely be the same- based on several posts, this seems like a design related issue- not a defect. As a matter of fact, if your replacement doesn't wobble, I would be much more worried as it would clearly suggest QC-QA issues.

off-centered lens: some units look slightly better than others but as long as it doesn't effect performance, I wouldn't worry about it- although I can understand if it bothers others.

OP RTFMPL Forum Member • Posts: 68

When I spend 900€ I expect to receive camera without wobbly buttons and off-centered lens, that's it.

Ricoh GR III

RTFMPL wrote:

When I spend 900€ I expect to receive camera without wobbly buttons and off-centered lens, that's it.

fair enough.

based on other early reports, looking for a perfect replacement may be a futile exercise. Please let us know how it develops.

James Bligh Senior Member • Posts: 2,355

RTFMPL wrote:

Product quality of Japanese goods is no longer the same as that of say 20 or 30 years ago. I remember one American economist said Japan No. 1 (published a book titled so?) in 1980s. Those days are gone. Don’t expect quality of bygone era nowadays in Japanese products especially in consumer electronics. Japanese produce disposables in quantity, they no more or very rarely produce quality items.

-- hide signature --

You really want you a pound of flesh, don't you?
-- Mallory to Miller in the movie 'The Guns of Navarone'

lemangin
lemangin Junior Member • Posts: 49

RTFMPL wrote:

Well, good luck with that. I am too one of the 100th and still counting peeps who is having the same "issue". The camera works like a charm nonetheless.

-- hide signature --

Stephane

lemangin's gear list:lemangin's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-Pro2 +1 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 269

James Bligh wrote:

RTFMPL wrote:

Product quality of Japanese goods is no longer the same as that of say 20 or 30 years ago. I remember one American economist said Japan No. 1 (published a book titled so?) in 1980s. Those days are gone. Don’t expect quality of bygone era nowadays in Japanese products especially in consumer electronics. Japanese produce disposables in quantity, they no more or very rarely produce quality items.

Because not made in Japan

rondom wrote:

RTFMPL wrote:

fair enough.

based on other early reports, looking for a perfect replacement may be a futile exercise. Please let us know how it develops.

If offset won't it let more dirt in ?

Ishpuini Veteran Member • Posts: 6,244

Don't know about the lens, but I consider the button to behave like that As Designed, possibly for good reasons?

Wim

-- hide signature --

Antwerp, Belgium, GMT+1

Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Ricoh Theta S Ricoh GR III Pentax Q Pentax Q-S1 Pentax K-3 II +21 more

TakiNufuji wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

RTFMPL wrote:

That can't be an excuse. What is QC for? Furthermore the present issue of wonky 4 way button seems to be a design issue rather than a QC one. Ricoh has no excuse for their incompetence or sloppiness.

-- hide signature --

Ishpuini wrote:

Don't know about the lens, but I consider the button to behave like that As Designed, possibly for good reasons?

Wim

What good reasons do you think it possibly has? You invited silliness yourself. Silly people for silly defect.

-- hide signature --

James Bligh wrote:

TakiNufuji wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

RTFMPL wrote:

That can't be an excuse. What is QC for? Furthermore the present issue of wonky 4 way button seems to be a design issue rather than a QC one. Ricoh has no excuse for their incompetence or sloppiness.

Are you sure design and not manufactures have

TakiNufuji wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

TakiNufuji wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

RTFMPL wrote:

Incomprehensible.

-- hide signature --

James Bligh wrote:

TakiNufuji wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

TakiNufuji wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

RTFMPL wrote:

Incomprehensible.

Sorry, English is my third language.

Are you sure it is design and not manufacture ?

PentaxNick Senior Member • Posts: 1,681

Does anyone have a GRIII where the 4-way “button” doesn’t wobble? Mine does but after the first 5 seconds of demonstrating it I ignored it and got on with taking pictures.

-- hide signature --

Nick

PentaxNick's gear list:PentaxNick's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X100T Olympus Tough TG-4 Ricoh GR III Olympus PEN-F +12 more
OP RTFMPL Forum Member • Posts: 68

For 20 years I had numerous cameras from 5€ [Zorki 4] to 4000€ [Hasselblad white face], so I can recognize when something is a defect or part of the design of the camera and for sure I can tell you that I received camera with defects, believe me I love it Ricoh to death [https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4348515]
.... but let us to be honest about the facts

Ricoh GR III
JC14 New Member • Posts: 18

I think it's safe to say that most people reading the "Ricoh Talk" forum like the brand and/or the GR. However, the way certain members try to stick up for the new GRIII, when it's obvious that there are some big issues, is astounding.

This is a €900 camera.

May you expect premium build quality? Yes.
May you expect buttons to be solid and not wobbly? Yes.
May you expect it to live up to all the claims Ricoh made about the GRIII? Yes.

Even if for some people things like "wobbly buttons" don't matter, that's not what it is about. You buy a product that is presented as a premium quality product, thus you may expect it to be just that.

I like the concept of the GR. I have a GRII and would have loved to upgrade to a GRIII, if it could live up to Ricoh's claims. Unfortunately, it seems like it does not. That is really sad, but why do people "defend" Ricoh? That surely won't help! However, demanding the product they claim the GRIII is, and not buying it if it isn't, will help!

What gives a better signal to a company than bad sales? And buying the GRIII after some issues are resolved (for example if low light AF or QC is improved) will be the best way to send Ricoh a message too!

So if for you the problematic low light AF and wobbly buttons aren't a problem, fine! Go for it, of course! But to defend Ricoh and try to talk right what's wrong is not helping the brand or the GR line I think.

TakiNufuji wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

TakiNufuji wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

TakiNufuji wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

RTFMPL wrote:

Incomprehensible.

Sorry, English is my third language.

Are you sure it is design and not manufacture ?

I think it is a design issue not a QC one because it seems that virtually every sample exhibits the defect, maybe someone who is not so meticulous may have not noticed/found the defect but if they are inspected carefully yes I believe virtually every sample will exhibit the defect. So it is a design issue and it says that the feedback inside Ricoh is not functioning properly, not to mention incompetence and sloppiness.

-- hide signature --

magnet for trolls and chronic pessimists

PentaxNick wrote:

Does anyone have a GRIII where the 4-way “button” doesn’t wobble? Mine does but after the first 5 seconds of demonstrating it I ignored it and got on with taking pictures.

that's what I was wondering and that's why I started a poll. If it is not a unit-based condition I wouldn't worry about it neither. If some units have it and others don't, it is indeed troubling: It would clearly mean bad QC, and I would also wonder what else is sloppily put together inside the camera.

Complaint threads about these issues are normal and understandable: If I faced such a situation I would like to know if it is just me. they serve a purpose. Unfortunately beyond that it only serves as a magnet for trolls and chronic pessimists.

Re: magnet for trolls and chronic pessimists

rondom wrote:

PentaxNick wrote:

that's what I was wondering and that's why I started a poll. If it is not a unit-based condition I wouldn't worry about it neither. If some units have it and others don't, it is indeed troubling: It would clearly mean bad QC, and I would also wonder what else is sloppily put together inside the camera.

Complaint threads about these issues are normal and understandable: If I faced such a situation I would like to know if it is just me. they serve a purpose. Unfortunately beyond that it only serves as a magnet for trolls and chronic pessimists.

If people answer honest and not act like you are attacking a family member.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads