Another cheater...

Started Mar 24, 2019 | Discussions
tasad Senior Member • Posts: 1,297
Another cheater...

This challenge ...https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=12404&View=Results&Rows=4 ... has "date taken" restriction : entries must be shot after 28th , February 2019 .

The "winner" of the challenge :https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=1101610&View=Results&Rows=4 ... has cheated on the date taken :

The image was not taken on 14th March , 2019 ( it was even submitted one day before it was "taken" ) - it was takenĀ  on 28th May , 2017 :

The same image ( just differently processed) has been entered in to another challenge 6 months ago :

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=1088729

Skylane Contributing Member • Posts: 879
Re: Another cheater...

Nice work Tasad!

-- hide signature --

Charlie

OP tasad Senior Member • Posts: 1,297

Thank you !

The same story here :

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=12401&View=Results&Rows=25

In the challenge entries must be shot after 21st. June , 2018 .  The "winner's" entry was not taken on 29th. June, 2018 :

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=1080339&View=Results&Rows=25

... it was taken on 29th. April , 2017 :

stretchman Senior Member • Posts: 1,098

tasad wrote:

This challenge ...https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=12404&View=Results&Rows=4 ... has "date taken" restriction : entries must be shot after 28th , February 2019 .

The "winner" of the challenge :https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=1101610&View=Results&Rows=4 ... has cheated on the date taken :

The image was not taken on 14th March , 2019 ( it was even submitted one day before it was "taken" ) - it was taken on 28th May , 2017 :

The same image ( just differently processed) has been entered in to another challenge 6 months ago :

I believe this was the only image submitted for the challenge. So, did he really cheat anyone?

Edward48
Edward48 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,967

stretchman wrote:

tasad wrote:

The image was not taken on 14th March , 2019 ( it was even submitted one day before it was "taken" ) - it was taken on 28th May , 2017 :

I believe this was the only image submitted for the challenge. So, did he really cheat anyone?

That's not really the point is it? It's a dishonest entry.

Mike

Edward48's gear list:Edward48's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100T Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +2 more

stretchman wrote:

He cheated at least  two photographers , who didn't enter the challenge because the date taken restriction (see comments at  the botton of the page)  :

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=12404

Challenges from the same series - but without the date restriction - usually attract more than 20 participants ...

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=12400

abiquiuense
abiquiuense Senior Member • Posts: 6,502

I use the "myVote" screengrab to illustrate.  Now, I feel like a heel that I can't prove my high five for the troll.

TBS; the action to remove the singular, one entry only challenge, results in the removal of my voice.  What's up with that?  I wanted to prove how I voted for the dude; assuming that it's a dude, of course.

abiquiuense
BTW; +1 = 16 n/t

No text.

abiquiuense
He also couldn't have been . . .

. . . his own worst voter.  I'm eliminating him as a "sandbagger" in this contest.  So, maybe, if DPR required voters, through a lottery, to display theirVotes, just a few, also maybe where there are suspects roaming, it would dissuade the practice.

A volunteer, lottery goes a long way in establishing confidence.  I vote, and I vote often.  I'm willing to display how I vote, but, not while the entries are out in the open.

A pool of voters, armed with our confidence, would have a positive effect.

I don't know; just thinking.

Re: He also couldn't have been . . .

A screen shot of my votes proves nothing. Vote all 4.5’s take your screen shot then go back and change them all to 0.5’s.

-- hide signature --

Charlie

abiquiuense
Re: He also couldn't have been . . .

Skylane wrote:

A screen shot of my votes proves nothing. Vote all 4.5’s take your screen shot then go back and change them all to 0.5’s.

Please demonstrate a myVote instance, screengrabbed after the publication of results, then I'll buy your contention.  TBS, I'll take another look my archived votes.

In the meantime, your servant requests that you also look at your archives.

Then, we can meet and confer about our common votes in a common challenge.  Or, we can vote in the about to close challenge, then wait for finals, and we can attempt to change our vote then.

So, to help out newbies, we can compare and contrast our views on what makes it art or science.  You do purchase science, right?

Point taken.

I never look at finished challenges. As you, I vote frequently and do not want to start to recognize entrants and possibly influence my vote. I do not know who wins any challenge and I do not care.

Perhaps you can get DPR to give you access to all voting so that you can decide who is qualified to vote and who is not.

On the other hand; nobody has to prove to you that their opinion of a photograph meets with your approval.

-- hide signature --

Charlie

abiquiuense

Skylane wrote:

Point taken.

I never look at finished challenges. As you, I vote frequently and do not want to start to recognize entrants and possibly influence my vote. I do not know who wins any challenge and I do not care.

Perhaps you can get DPR to give you access to all voting so that you can decide who is qualified to vote and who is not.

On the other hand; nobody has to prove to you that their opinion of a photograph meets with your approval.

No, you've the point.

Wow! You just beat RuthC at voting. Wow!

Two approvals; one dissatisfaction.  Fair enough?

Middle paragraph.  You're secret ballot must be preserved.  DPR takes care of that.  Some hosts have contended that they can't identify voters, maybe that's the entrance requirement to hosting; don't spill the beans.  Cop an "anonymized member" spin.  Ruth said that she worked it out.

Here's how; "myVotes" is a database.  Click, they know how I vote in a challenge, or all the challenges I've voted in; report printed.  I can give them permission to forego the secrecy.  That's myCall.  Click; they know who the 'sandbaggers' are.

Ouch on third; I value your opinion, I don't care what they say about you.

Skylane?  That is some voting record.  I've taken to selfing my real ballot, at the county clerks.  Proof of free speech.

Check you out later?

lomoapontaechuta Regular Member • Posts: 273

So, you are calling a cheater to a guy that didn't take a photo in a given period of time.

Came on.

1 the guy isn't a cheater for that.

2 the only one to blame for this error is the host of the challenge.

But if you ask me I find this restriction very stupid.

lomoapontaechuta's gear list:lomoapontaechuta's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

So, you are calling a cheater to a guy that didn't take a photo in a given period of time.

Came on.

I'm calling a cheater the entrant who deliberately falsified   the "date taken" in the challenge's entry form and in the technical information under the entry.

"Error" ... ??? - c'mon...  You can not enter any challenge with the "date taken" restriction - if  your  photo was taken  before the "announced date" .  Just because the Dpreview system  automatically rejects it.  You can try , if you don't understand what I'm talking about...

No , I'll not ask...

tasad wrote:

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

Came on.

I'm calling a cheater the entrant who deliberately falsified the "date taken" in the challenge's entry form and in the technical information under the entry.

"Error" ... ??? - c'mon... You can not enter any challenge with the "date taken" restriction - if your photo was taken before the "announced date" . Just because the Dpreview system automatically rejects it. You can try , if you don't understand what I'm talking about...

No , I'll not ask...

Well, yes, as you pointed out, he changed the date but I don't think that to be a major offense, bending such requirement it's hardly an "infraction" and if the picture is worth it, well... doesn't bother me.

In some challenges I often see the judges will have the final word or something in those lines, so, yes.

If a picture  is in violation with the rules and still remains, the host of the challenge or the judges or whoever is responsible for the challenge are the ones to blame.

But the way I face the challenges part of the forum may be different, I see like a mean to share my shots and see shots of other people, I see it like a gallery

Edward48
Edward48 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,967

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

Well, yes, as you pointed out, he changed the date but I don't think that to be a major offense, bending such requirement it's hardly an "infraction" and if the picture is worth it, well... doesn't bother me.

In some challenges I often see the judges will have the final word or something in those lines, so, yes.

If a picture is in violation with the rules and still remains, the host of the challenge or the judges or whoever is responsible for the challenge are the ones to blame...

I'm afraid I find this a very depressing outlook. It seems that being a bit devious and dishonest is acceptable if you don't get found out.

Edward48's gear list:Edward48's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100T Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +2 more
ajscullard Senior Member • Posts: 1,045

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

Well, why have any rules at all for any challenge? the host puts the rules there for a reason. That's their right. If you don't like the rules, that's tough, move on to another challenge. It's a challenge, right, so there have to be some parameters to be measured against or it isn't a challenge.

There aren't any judges, there are hosts and yes, they will have the final say.

If a picture is in violation with the rules and still remains, the host of the challenge or the judges or whoever is responsible for the challenge are the ones to blame.

Gee, what wooly-headed thinking. There's really no answer to that.

But the way I face the challenges part of the forum may be different, I see like a mean to share my shots and see shots of other people, I see it like a gallery

If you want to put images in a gallery, there is one available to you. Use it. This is not a gallery, it's a challenge. If you can't understand the difference, I can't help you there.

Here's the basics: If your image does not comply with the rules, whether you agree with the rules or not, don't enter your image.

If you deliberately alter image data to fool people into thinking that your image does comply with the rules when in fact it does not, you are cheating.

If people cheat, they deserve to be, and should expect to be, called out.

Edward48 wrote:

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

If a picture is in violation with the rules and still remains, the host of the challenge or the judges or whoever is responsible for the challenge are the ones to blame...

I'm afraid I find this a very depressing outlook. It seems that being a bit devious and dishonest is acceptable if you don't get found out.

I don't know where you read that in my post.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads