* The Weekly Image Thread 19 03 23 #353 *

Started 5 months ago | Photos
19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 33,245
Re: Lightning in a Bottle?

Nice colour in that Monty with the glass and the rust.  The barn board helps as well.  Looks like the jar may have cracked as a result of being left out, which is too bad.

That the 25 f/1.4?  I wanted to buy that lens years ago but Panasonic in Canada soaked Canadians on the import so I went with the 20 mm f/1.7 instead.  I bought from B&H and I don't think I was charged any sales tax.  They had an Ontario distribution centre at the time.  I think I paid at least 1/3 less than the Canadian price importing it.  No warranty in Canada though.

I check the Henry's used section still for decent lenses, both Olympus and Panasonic, but am not finding much any more since they dumped their ebay sales page.

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: Down by the Loch

A very nice set Dave.   Had to look up your Samsung acquisition.  In the first castle image, it may just be the files but the 'people' near the right edge of the castle don't look real.  They look like painted statues.  The others look quite normal.  Now how is it that you don't seem to go visit the actual castles and take pictures among the ruins?  My guess is they look better from afar!  While I am asking questions, what is with the blue dye on the sheep?

Andrew

Rich Z
Rich Z Veteran Member • Posts: 9,797

Beautiful pix of your beautiful land, Dave, but wait a minute, I like the pix from the Samsung/Pentax much better than those from the M5 Mk II...much better.

They're on different days and different time of day, so they can't be fairly compared, but color, tones Hell, everything is better from the Samsung.

Perhaps the conditions were much less favorable on the day you shot with the Olympus.

And, why does the sheep have a blue bum?  Somebody's favourite?  Did they expect you?  That blue-bummed one looks like a ram to me, but, well...

My Dad used to tell a story about the Basque shepherd who had one ewe in his flock with a yellow ribbon around her neck.  I definitely can't tell it here, but it made my straight-laced mother very angry if he did.  So, of course he did whenever there was an audience to enjoy her Ginger-Scot temper.

I like the second pic best.  It is particularly nice.  Rich

Rich Z
Re: Random Views

An interesting set of pix, WhyNot.

It appears they're taking strong drink in public view.  The world must be degenerating into moral chaos.  Rich

WhyNot
WhyNot Veteran Member • Posts: 8,127

19andrew47 wrote:

Nice vignettes captured in each WN. I especially like the first with three different areas of interest involving the people in the scene.

Andrew

Thanks for the comment, Andrew ... triptych .... hmmmm ....

WhNot

19andrew47
Re: Swans

Thanks WN.  Ate more at supper tonight than the previous six days combined.  Hope that was not an error.  Time will soon tell!

Andrew

19andrew47

Thanks Monty.  The first three were taken just as the sun was about to set, so 'golden hour' shots.  Feeling better today, not to be confused with good!

Andrew

19andrew47

Thanks Dave.  Have had nothing to sip except ginger ale now for six days.  Perhaps next week.

Andrew

Rich Z

Very nice pix of the swans, Andrew.  The evening light plus the reflection from the water's ripples is lovely on them.  Plus you caught some great poses.  Rich

19andrew47

Thanks Rich.  About time to hit the hay here.

Andrew

WhyNot
WhyNot Veteran Member • Posts: 8,127

Rich Z wrote:

An interesting set of pix, WhyNot.

It appears they're taking strong drink in public view. The world must be degenerating into moral chaos. Rich

Thanks, Rich ... You're not keeping up .. AL has no dry counties anymore ..  couple "moist" counties .. but none dry ... Our city even allows people to walk around downtown on certain day on defined streets with a glass of beer  ... or  .. what have you ....  You can read the bloody details HERE

WhyNot

Messier Object
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 8,330
More New Zealand South Island Panoramas

from our vacation last October
these from our 2nd day on the back-country roads

Peter

Lake Georgina, 2-frame stitch

'

I liked the way the distant mountain was framed in the valley - 2 frames

This was a nice place to relax for a lunch break.
It's a 4-frame stitch done in Lightroom and I've uploaded the full-sized image to show what the latest smartphones can do

Mt Gargarus (1660m) on the left, and Mt Ida (1690m) on the right with the Harper River flowing down between them. That time of year the mountains would usually have had just a touch of white on their tops, but the previous day's snow had transformed them.
The Dynamic Range was a bit tricky, but I wasn't complaining about the snow

For anyone interested:   S43.217778, E171.465278

Rich Z
Re: More New Zealand South Island Panoramas

Wonderfully beautiful views, Peter.  The panos are excellent and the way to photograph there, in my opinion.  There's no distortion as you'd get with an UWA lens.

I thought to tell your which I like best.  No can do.  I like them all.

Your compositions are just great.

I just found that a very interesting area to look down on with Google Earth.  It appears to have been concentrated by Nature to hold a great many beautiful features.

Very nice work, indeed.  Rich

Rich Z
Various and Sundry

Random pictures assorted.

Waling along The Waterfront Trail.  What can that be?

Artist Diego Harris created this steam engine bench.

There are other works of art created and placed especially to enhance the trail.

I just can't stop making pix of this old bridge over Eureka Slough.

It is part of the Humboldt Bay trail connecting with The Waterfront Trail in Eureka.

I was headed to The South Jetty to walk out on it today.  We're between storms.  The next one is a day or so out there off British Columbia.  At the South end of Eureka I drove up on Humboldt HIll to have a look.

The Pacific looks nice and flat and the weather is nice, but the South edge of the storm is pushing currents here.

Not today.

I drove up on Table Bluff instead.  This view caught my eye and I stopped for a pic.

This is what happens when you attempt to climb a hill in a Pewgoat.

This one couldn't make it, blew up and dismembered itself.

I know it looks like a 51 Chevy, or  maybe a Pontiac, but it smells of Gauloises, cheap burgundy and paraffin.  You can't mistake that.

Pewgoats bloat as the decompose, much like a carp, that's why it looks too big.

This one was a rare 2 door sedan, rare because they don't last long.

From June, 2008 with E330 and ZD 14 54.

This illustrates why I choose to live here.

With nuts like the person who created this running around, I seem fairly normal.

Cloudforest
Cloudforest Contributing Member • Posts: 718

It's always good to see shots of swans Andrew and these are lovely examples. My favorites are the first one of the Mutes, as it shows them in their environment which I always like to see and the last two of the Tundras. They look stunning against the blue sky.

Well done on the eagle photo. Birds usually end up flying away before I switch the camera on.

I hope you're feeling back to normal soon.

Cloudforest

A lovely insight into life in a particular place at a particular part in time. I like the way that the first image is divided into three by the shrubs and the second, divided by the different floors of the building.

I followed your link to the Huntsville blog to discover even more about the area and couldn't resist looking at the site for the Salty Nut Brewery. I like a glass of IPA but at 7.3% it's hardly a session beer.

Cloudforest
Re: Lightning in a Bottle?

A lovely found shot of an everyday object. I like the coloured reflections in the shadow of the bottle.

Cloudforest

Another lovely set Dave. The snow covered hills look very inviting. I like the view down the loch in shot 6 the best.

Cloudforest
Re: More New Zealand South Island Panoramas

A lovely set of images of a beautiful place. The fourth one is my favourite. I like the way the eye is led through the gap between the hills. The reflection on number one is lovely too.

Cloudforest
Re: Various and Sundry

I kind of like the steam engine bench Rich. We seem to be getting more sculptural pieces on trails over here now and they do add an extra dimension to a walk.

A good image of the bridge. The angle you've taken it, the strong lines and the blue sky make it look an impressive structure.

It's always good to see the sea, I'd love to live by the coast but I don't think I'd ever get anything done if I did - I'd be out watching it and taking pictures all the time.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads