* The Weekly Image Thread 19 03 23 #353 *

Started 5 months ago | Photos
19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 33,209
* The Weekly Image Thread 19 03 23 #353 *

Welcome to The Weekly Image Thread

This thread will appear every Saturday (GMT) and is open for submissions and discussions about images and processing techniques until the next Saturday, or the new thread is started. From time to time the start could be delayed if I run short of time or am otherwise unavailable.

Although this Weekly thread is in the Olympus SLR forum, we openly welcome users of all brands and models.

Please:

1. Reply to this post and change the TITLE!
  2. Please reply to at least one other contribution, your replies encourage posters!!!
  3. If asked, please share your processing techniques or technical details.
  4. Please show the EXIF if possible. Please identify the lens used regardless of which camera was used to take the image. This helps people form opinions of the lens used with the body to possibly influence future acquisitions.
  5. If special lighting was used to create your image stating what was done may help others.

Thanks for joining and contributing this week.

Andrew (19andrew47)

Formerly: The Weekly OMD & 4/3 DSLR Images

19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 33,209
* Archives *
19andrew47
Swans

This post is a combination of images from a little over a week ago and some from previous years. Have mostly been in bed or in a recliner watching the tube for the past five days with some kind of virus I expect. I think it is starting to clear so fingers crossed.

Andrew

mute swans in the inner bay of Long Point

had to resize this to get it to upload. Not much to look at but this is the lake side of the causeway going to Long Point at a bird watching platform. In the far distance a small flock of tundra swans in flight can be made out. I think this was eight images.

A little further up the causeway, almost on Long Point I shot this bald eagle sitting in a tree from the car window. Not a very good result but the best I have managed of an eagle to date. As soon as I tried to get out of the car it took off.

on the run a few years back. The birds feed in feeds of mowed down corn before moving on further north. Tundra Swans and some Canada Geese. This from a few years back. ZD 70 - 300 mm

A pair of tundra swans in flight, 2008, E3. The lens is not recorded so this is likely the OM 300 mm f/4.5

WhyNot
WhyNot Veteran Member • Posts: 8,117
Random Views

Random views from a walk in the city … Lunch

Walking past Sammy T's

Strolling along the sidewalk

WhyNot

All pictures were taken using the E-M1.2 with the Sigma mFT 30mm lens. ...

WhyNot
Re: Swans

Very nice collection of birds, Andrew .. I like your eagle and the lesson it provides-- take the shot you can get and then try to take the shot you want otherwise you might come up with nothing – …..   Sorry to read about your ailment and hope that it is about to end  so you can pursue that eagle some more ...  but take care ...

WhyNot

savonie
savonie Senior Member • Posts: 2,464

Andrew
#'s 2&3 really appeal to me -Especially the lighting  in #2 and of course the eagle-
Hope this finds you on the mend - Sunnier weather will help!
Monty

savonie's gear list:savonie's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL8 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +6 more
savonie
savonie Senior Member • Posts: 2,464
Lightning in a Bottle?

Picked up a PL 25mm and was testing it on the G9 in the bright sun -  A fine little lens - While this shot is nothing special it caught my eye - This decorative jar sat out through the harshness of winter and this is the result -
Monty

B'yard

savonie's gear list:savonie's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL8 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +6 more
dt27348
dt27348 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,092

A nice set of images Andrew of some really beautiful birds. Sorry to hear your a bit under the weather. Probably a touch of man flu 🤧. Get well soon.

Dave

dt27348's gear list:dt27348's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Sony a7 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
dt27348
Re: Random Views

Your city looks like a nice place to wander around WN. Must be warmer and drier than around here. Nobody dining al fresco yet. Like your last image best.

Dave

Samsung GX-10 Sony a7 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
dt27348
Re: Lightning in a Bottle?

A nicely colored image. Well spotted.

Dave

dt27348
Down by the Loch

A few shots from last weekend by Loch Awe and Kilchurn Castle

Some from a hike beside Loch Etive

Dave

Waynecam Forum Pro • Posts: 13,859

Andrew, I share your agony at not taking any pictures lately but I'm not sick. I think I forgot where I put my camera it's been so long. I'm curious as to why the swans in the first view images look very dark. Compare those to the last two images of the swans in flight. Is it my monitor or or the first ones dark?

-- hide signature --
 Waynecam's gear list:Waynecam's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II

All interesting pictures WhyNot. Especially viewed in detail at the largest size. The first and last clearly show the contrast between citizens in our society.  Sadly, my city has far too many homeless citizens, a condition for which there apparently is no solution. Thanks for posting these.

-- hide signature --
WhyNot
Re: Down by the Loch

Beautiful countryside .. and pictures that you brought back .. It looks like a pleasant walk and as long as it's nearly level, I'll just walk along … but if you start up one of those hill I'm going to wait to see those pictures back at the lodge … but then maybe I'll stop for a beer on the way back …. or maybe I'll just start there and wait for you … not sure bout doing two lochs in day anyway ....

WhyNot

BTW I'm glad you put a description with the pictures as I was so taken by the snow on the mountain that I nearly missed the castle! ....

Re: Lightning in a Bottle?

Monty, that is an intriguing image. In some places the crack looks like it's on the edge of the glass while in another it appears to be an object resting within the bottle, at least to my eyes. I ownder why it's hanging there to begin with? A decorative item perhaps, but not well maintained as evidenced by the rusty cover, Nice work.

-- hide signature --
Re: Down by the Loch

I am intrigued  by thos every old castles as are the people who pulled up on the shore and apparently are busy photographing the castle. The . mountain goats(?), at least one of them seems more interested in your camera than whatever reason he went there in the first place. Nice images.

http://www.pbase.com/waynes6

WhyNot

dt27348 wrote:

Your city looks like a nice place to wander around WN. Must be warmer and drier than around here. Nobody dining al fresco yet. Like your last image best.

Dave

Thanks for the comment, Dave.. No snow on our mountains these days .. 60F and up ...

WhyNot

WhyNot

Waynecam wrote:

All interesting pictures WhyNot. Especially viewed in detail at the largest size. The first and last clearly show the contrast between citizens in our society. Sadly, my city has far too many homeless citizens, a condition for which there apparently is no solution. Thanks for posting these.

Thanks for the comment , Wayne ..  I had the first and last pictures and thought they might need a third.  The second doesn't quite fit my idea but maybe made the whole more subtle or tenuous.  ...

WhyNot

19andrew47

The first three images were taken just before sunset Wayne, golden hour I think some refer to it as.  Oblique light striking objects raised above the horizon makes the swans stand out while the background which is flat is dark.  The swans in flight were likely taken after noon so entirely different lighting conditions.  I think I likely used processing on the first three to enhance that lighting as well.

Andrew

19andrew47

Nice vignettes captured in each WN.  I especially like the first with three different areas of interest involving the people in the scene.

Andrew

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads