Z6 + Nikon 50mm 1.2

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
eliehbk Senior Member • Posts: 1,315
Z6 + Nikon 50mm 1.2

Hi everyone,

I received yesterday a brand new Nikon 50mm 1.2 and a dumb adapter. Took it out today in NYC on my Z6 to test drive it. I was really scared that I paid more than the price of an S50mm 1.8 and that I would end up regretting my purchase. I have to admit that getting used to the extremely shallow DOF at 1.2 was challenging, still have a lot to get used to, however, I am so happy I opted for this lens, while I am sure that optically it’s not anywhere near the new Z mount 50mm, but the fun factor and the artistic factor is way up there. There’s something special about an old tank like this 50mm, that’s manual focus and that makes you take some time to think about each shot.

here are some quick snap shots of my walk around the neighborhood, any C&C is welcome.

eliehbk's gear list:eliehbk's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
Nikon Coolpix S50 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
IainD Senior Member • Posts: 2,063
Re: Z6 + Nikon 50mm 1.2

Very nice images!

could someone tell me what the device with the gas cylinder and the chimney is near the open access hole in he streets?

i would be grateful.

PS maybe you should buy the native f0.95!!

Iain

OP eliehbk Senior Member • Posts: 1,315

Hey Lain,

thanks for for your kind words. The things sticking out of the ground that are orange and white are huge pipes that let steam out. The steam is vapor from when water, or other sources of liquid, falls onto the pipes and evaporates. It’s something that we have all over the city and that is not harmful at all.

Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
IainD Senior Member • Posts: 2,063

Thank yo. I have seen them on tv since I was a kid and then I saw them in NY City but nobody had time to tell me!

dont forget to post when you get the f0.95!!

Haha, that’s not happening too big, too expensive.

ovrebekk
ovrebekk Veteran Member • Posts: 4,438

Nice shots, thanks for sharing

What is your focusing strategy?

Focus peeking mainly, or have you mapped the 100% zoom feature to a button?

I have both, using red color on high and the bottom front button by the lens for magnification. 90% of the time I’m fine with peaking, however, if it’s a portrait at 1.2 and I want to make extra sure that sI focus right, then I use the magnification. It’s a joy to use.

Matsu Senior Member • Posts: 2,265

eliehbk wrote:

Hi everyone,

here are some quick snap shots of my walk around the neighborhood, any C&C is welcome.

The eye whites are way over cooked on the first image - too distracting.  Out of focus street-scape doesn’t really do much aesthetically/thematically, not in isolation, unless it’s clearly part of some  larger context, I wouldn’t bother with it.

The next four black and white  images show the nervous quality of the lens and a gritty black and white presentation complement each other quite nicely.  More like this would be worth your exploration I think, and somewhat more tolerant of overcooking for this type of shot.  String together a bunch and you may have something cool.

Matsu's gear list:Matsu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Aldone Junior Member • Posts: 32

eliehbk wrote:

I have both, using red color on high and the bottom front button by the lens for magnification. 90% of the time I’m fine with peaking, however, if it’s a portrait at 1.2 and I want to make extra sure that sI focus right, then I use the magnification. It’s a joy to use.

Hi! I’m thinking of getting a z6 for manual focus. Do you find that the lag in the viewfinder (I read somewhere that it is quite bad when you zoom in) makes it hard to focus?

Not at all, it’s soessy to manual focus with it.

KnightPhoto2
KnightPhoto2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,027

I did kind of like the OOF Streetscape though.

Thanks for sharing OP, cool shots,

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/119002

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads