Need some help. Z6 with high speed sync and color balance

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
stimmer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,201
Need some help. Z6 with high speed sync and color balance

I’ve been out shooting at dusk with my xplor 600 and using high speed sync so I can learn the technique.  Fun but a little challenging.

I’ve been setting my color balance to kelvin 5600 because that’s what the flashes are supposed to be balanced to.  I’ve noticed a saturated reddish color to my pics. Not bad but I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong. Possibly the exposure being off but I wondered if anybody has experience with this. I’d like to be proficient with it for sure.

Here’s a couple of pics

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Wahrsager
Wahrsager Senior Member • Posts: 1,565
Re: Need some help. Z6 with high speed sync and color balance

Personally, I don't see an issue. Have you used gels before? Also, from my limited understanding, different flash makers produce slightly different color temps , maybe even when using HSS.

(See 28:07 of the video for side-by-side comparison).

Wahrsager's gear list:Wahrsager's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR +26 more
OP stimmer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,201

Thanks I will check it out.  Not a big fan of gels. I like to keep it simple if possible.

j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,969

You could take a test shot with a neutral gray card and then set wb in post. Seems like you might have mixed lighting, with both flash and ambient. Or as was suggested, gel your flash to get its color closer to ambient.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon Z6

I’ve been shooting into the sun a little bit and I’m sure I’m getting some flare.  I probably need to shoot a regular shot in the shade and go from there. I figured with flash you just set it to 5600 kelvin and call it good but maybe not.

The other variable is I’m shooting standard picture mode. That has worked great in non flash scenarios but maybe I need to shoot neutral.

goactive Senior Member • Posts: 1,723

I do not think it looks too bad. Flash tends to bring out more red in the skin VS natural light shooting.

-- hide signature --

Started shooting digital back with the first 2MP cameras. Over 20 cameras later still going. I shoot family and people portraits, weddings, Sports and a little of everything.

goactive's gear list:goactive's gear list
Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D500 +21 more
Barlowephoto
Barlowephoto Regular Member • Posts: 332

Another thing to keep in mind, is the color influence of your flash modifier. Your sample images suggest that you used an umbrella or similar diffuser. I always get warmer tones when using any kind of modifier, as it cuts down on UV and far blue light. The 5600K figure is used to describe the color temp coming out of the flashtube, anything added to the light path will change the color characteristics. Older umbrellas will drop the color temp even more, as they yellow with age!.........................Jeff Barlowe

P.S. Bright Silver umbrellas have less effect on color temp.

JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 25,466

stimmer wrote:

I’ve been out shooting at dusk with my xplor 600 and using high speed sync so I can learn the technique. Fun but a little challenging.

I’ve been setting my color balance to kelvin 5600 because that’s what the flashes are supposed to be balanced to. I’ve noticed a saturated reddish color to my pics. Not bad but I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong. Possibly the exposure being off but I wondered if anybody has experience with this. I’d like to be proficient with it for sure.

Here’s a couple of pics

If you don't have access to a spectrophotometer or a color meter, try shooting a gray card. WB to that in post, and look at the numbers created.

Jim

-- hide signature --

Posted as a regular forum member.
https://blog.kasson.com

JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III +5 more
Raul Veteran Member • Posts: 8,449

JimKasson wrote:

stimmer wrote:

I’ve been out shooting at dusk with my xplor 600 and using high speed sync so I can learn the technique. Fun but a little challenging.

I’ve been setting my color balance to kelvin 5600 because that’s what the flashes are supposed to be balanced to. I’ve noticed a saturated reddish color to my pics. Not bad but I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong. Possibly the exposure being off but I wondered if anybody has experience with this. I’d like to be proficient with it for sure.

Here’s a couple of pics

If you don't have access to a spectrophotometer or a color meter, try shooting a gray card. WB to that in post, and look at the numbers created.

Jim

The camera temps do not agree with color meters.

-- hide signature --

Once upon a time, a girl with moonlight in her eyes

Raul's gear list:Raul's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 25,466

Raul wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

stimmer wrote:

Here’s a couple of pics

Jim

The camera temps do not agree with color meters.

They do not, because they are approximations (cameras are non-Luther, and good color meters are close to the CIE curves). But they're a place to start. And if you have a spectro, you can sometime see indications of things that will trow the camera WB off.

Camera color temps don't perfectly agree with Lr WB to gray card, either.

Jim

-- hide signature --

Posted as a regular forum member.
https://blog.kasson.com

JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III +5 more
Raul Veteran Member • Posts: 8,449
Stimmer, do you shoot raw?
-- hide signature --

Once upon a time, a girl with moonlight in her eyes

Raul's gear list:Raul's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,969

You can also put a white balance or neutral grey dropper on the girl's headscarf. With a trial and error, you can easily get to a much more pleasing balance of skin tones.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon Z6
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,233

stimmer wrote:

I’ve been shooting into the sun a little bit and I’m sure I’m getting some flare. I probably need to shoot a regular shot in the shade and go from there. I figured with flash you just set it to 5600 kelvin and call it good but maybe not.

Not unless the flash is the predominant light source.  Would the face have been three stops underexposed without the flash?

if you were shooting at high noon probably not a problem.  Dawn or dusk is another matter.

The other variable is I’m shooting standard picture mode. That has worked great in non flash scenarios but maybe I need to shoot neutral.

This is not the issue.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +30 more
sometimes.

That might be the answer. Shoot raw and experiment a little.

Good point. The flash was subtle to expose her properly.  So looking at it I shot too warm.  I probably need to try 5200k.

That is a possibility. This is a new softbox but it’s double diffused. Maybe need to stop my kelvin temp down to 5200 or 5400.

Bernd B Junior Member • Posts: 44

I own a Godox AD600, an AD 600pro and an AD360II. When enabling HSS they all turn magenta.

The pulsing of the flashtube in HSS changes the physics. This has nothing to do with the otherwise quite good stability of the color temperature over the entire power range in non-HSS use.

Try an 1/8 plus green gel (Lee filter) in front of the flash.

Changing the white balance in post won‘t do it, because the background still has a natural light balance. I you change the tint in lightroom, your model would look ok, but the background would turn green.

Best,

Bernd

Bernd B's gear list:Bernd B's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D850 +22 more
Barlowephoto
Barlowephoto Regular Member • Posts: 332

Stimmer, you've got the idea. I set my WB at 5000K with my double diffused softboxes, when shooting in the studio. Outdoors might be somewhat different..........Jeff Barlowe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads