X30 at mountains and coast

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 4,565
X30 at mountains and coast

Took my X30 with me a couple of times recently...I'd almost forgotten how much I love those Fuji colors.

Coast above Bodega Bay, California.

Lake Tahoe

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D700 Nikon D5600 +14 more
Fujifilm X30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
simano Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: X30 at mountains and coast

Beautiful shots CMCM!!

TwoMetreBill Senior Member • Posts: 1,491

The lens on the X/10/20/30 is much sharper at the wider apertures. Unless desperate for more DOF, I tried to never shoot my X10 closed down below f/4. It is also sharper to shoot raw and then process in a tool like Lightroom.

Just FYI, a perfect lens will be sharpest wide open. In the view camera world and a few Leica lenses exhibited this characteristic. Of course perfect lenses don't actually exist but it is common for the lenses on the better point and shoot cameras to be designed for maximum sharpness at or close to wide open.

-- hide signature --

Bill

TwoMetreBill's gear list:TwoMetreBill's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
OP CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 4,565

TwoMetreBill wrote:

The lens on the X/10/20/30 is much sharper at the wider apertures. Unless desperate for more DOF, I tried to never shoot my X10 closed down below f/4. It is also sharper to shoot raw and then process in a tool like Lightroom.

Interesting....I didn't know that about f/4.  Also, I know I need to force myself to use RAW, don't know why I haven't done so before now.

Papa48 Senior Member • Posts: 1,386

CMCM wrote:

TwoMetreBill wrote:

Interesting....I didn't know that about f/4. Also, I know I need to force myself to use RAW, don't know why I haven't done so before now.

Maybe you've been happy enough with Fuji's excellent in-camera jpeg processing, and that's a good thing. I've been trying to get better at raw editing since 2003, and it still takes me 5-7 hours to process the 100-200 images I normally take on a serious landscape, nature or travel shoot. I can rather be happy enough shooting jpeg, and spending those hours doing more enjoyable things.

Here's a recent straight, out-of-camera X10 jpeg shot on EXR Auto.  BOOM!

Papa48's gear list:Papa48's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic FZ1000

You're probably right...mostly I was happy enough with jpeg, and the X30 really does produce nice jpegs.  I don't print large photos, and the only time I've been dissatisfied is in lower light where I had to use higher ISO.  I suppose that is when I should have switched over to RAW.  For the most part, unless I have a photo I really like a lot, I'd prefer not to spend huge amounts of time post processing.

Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 2,332

Any loss of sharpness beyond f4 is probably due to diffraction rather than the lens. It really becomes a severe problem with small sensor cameras, to the point where some superzooms are diffraction-limited wide open.

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X30
Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 7,400

Very attractive photos and my favorite getaway when it's too hot here in Sacramento (like this week)! Headed back to N. Cal/S. Oregon soon along the 101 and Hwy 1.

Some Bodega Bay pics here from my various Kodak Pixpro cams. www.flickr.com/photos/125889350@N03

Nice photos!  That Pixpro has quite amazing color, it seems richer and more vibrant than what I get from my Coolpix P900.  Why isn't the Pixpro line more well known?

CMCM wrote:

Nice photos! That Pixpro has quite amazing color, it seems richer and more vibrant than what I get from my Coolpix P900. Why isn't the Pixpro line more well known?

JK Imaging Ltd. manufacturers the line under permission of Kodak. They remind me of Kodak consumer cameras I used from 1999-2007. Back then a number of their lenses were labeled Schneider Kreutznach by permission. They were actually quite sharp in my experience. But garish jpeg-only colors, high noise reduction watercolor effects and narrow dynamic range were a turn-off for many more serious users. The pricing makes them tempting though, doesn’t it? Finally, some on the Fujifilm Finepix Forum have guessed that Fuji makes them. I can’t find any confirmation of that. If they did, I might try one only because I’m a bit of a Fuji fan.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic FZ1000

Papa48 wrote:

CMCM wrote:

Nice photos! That Pixpro has quite amazing color, it seems richer and more vibrant than what I get from my Coolpix P900. Why isn't the Pixpro line more well known?

JK Imaging Ltd. manufacturers the line under permission of Kodak. They remind me of Kodak consumer cameras I used from 1999-2007. Back then a number of their lenses were labeled Schneider Kreutznach by permission. They were actually quite sharp in my experience. But garish jpeg-only colors, high noise reduction watercolor effects and narrow dynamic range were a turn-off for many more serious users. The pricing makes them tempting though, doesn’t it? Finally, some on the Fujifilm Finepix Forum have guessed that Fuji makes them. I can’t find any confirmation of that. If they did, I might try one only because I’m a bit of a Fuji fan.

Interesting history.....I had a couple of Kodak cameras quite awhile back too....don't remember much about them, though.

Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 7,400

CMCM wrote:

Papa48 wrote:

CMCM wrote:

Interesting history.....I had a couple of Kodak cameras quite awhile back too....don't remember much about them, though.

Schneider did in fact manufacture many Kodak lenses and they were top quality. SK also makes lenses for industrial, medical, video, etc. Here's one of their lenses for video use on a DSLR or mirrorless: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023839-REG/schneider_09_1078394_xenon_ff_35mm.html?ap=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv8nqBRDGARIsAHfR9wAtZs6hNCELzgtN_cFU8EbG2257F8Y97Lp0IeeFKSlEhSaLFArRSz4aAqcIEALw_wcB

At one point, Kodak partnered with Nikon on a number of cameras for professional use. http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Schneider

JKI has been licensed by Kodak for the past 9 years to produce their line of cameras under the Kodak Pixpro name which includes their p&s cameras, M4/3, and some 4K video cameras in various configurations. www.kodakpixpro.com. I've been very happy with their performance.

Sactojim wrote:

CMCM wrote:

Papa48 wrote:

CMCM wrote:

Schneider did in fact manufacture many Kodak lenses and they were top quality. SK also makes lenses for industrial, medical, video, etc. Here's one of their lenses for video use on a DSLR or mirrorless: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023839-REG/schneider_09_1078394_xenon_ff_35mm.html?ap=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv8nqBRDGARIsAHfR9wAtZs6hNCELzgtN_cFU8EbG2257F8Y97Lp0IeeFKSlEhSaLFArRSz4aAqcIEALw_wcB

At one point, Kodak partnered with Nikon on a number of cameras for professional use. http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Schneider

JKI has been licensed by Kodak for the past 9 years to produce their line of cameras under the Kodak Pixpro name which includes their p&s cameras, M4/3, and some 4K video cameras in various configurations. www.kodakpixpro.com. I've been very happy with their performance.

That's very good to know, Sactojim. It raises impressions of the PixPro line up a bit, seeing your comments. The prices sure are reasonable.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads