No "Z" Yet - What's Your Reason?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
LordKOTL
LordKOTL Senior Member • Posts: 1,211
Re: No "Z" Yet - What's Your Reason?

JMD-70 wrote:

I'm looking to return to Nikon FF,....and I'm itching for a D810,...D850,...(can get right away),...or even a Z series body. However, I feel that I would have a more 'complete' camera system if I were to go with a D810 or D850,...as the appropriate accessories already exist in full un-crippled form for those bodies. If I were to jump to the Z system, I'd have a body that 1) has a smaller Top Display, One Card Slot,...and a proposed Non-Functional battery "Holder".

That said, I personally think Nikon should have not tried to "Be So Much Like Sony!",...and designed the new Z bodies along the size similar to what Panasonic did with their S1 and S1R. Those bodies,...IMHO, are "Homerun" bodies when it comes to their form factor! And those that yearn for a more complete "DSLR" feel would have a more satisfying experience with the new Z Series bodies. And! If Nikon had incorporated Dual XQD card slots,...or a XQD / SD card slots setup,...with a proper Top Display size,...a la D850!,....and with a proper battery grip,...perhaps the new Z bodies would be a Grand-Slam-Homerun hits as well!

Also, I can only imagine a Z Series body of larger dimensions,...where the smaller EN-EL15b battery could be used with a 'butt' adapter,....and Nikon released a larger (longer) higher capacity EN-EL15b-E (extended version) battery designed along the same with/height of the current EN-EL15b. This battery's capacity and Voltage would be on par with the EN-EL18 battery. So, the end result would be a body smaller than the DX series,...and larger than the DXXX series. This would yield a body more suited for balance when larger glass is mounted. Basically,....an MILC D850! It best have a "O" viewfinder too!!!!

That said,...this is the primary reason I have not jumped to the Z system,...as I couldn't buy-in on a half baked system!

....case in point for 'half-baked',....I've yet to see the Z system's battery holder for sale,..and ask, does any Z owners have this item yet?

So, I ask,...what are you waiting for in a MILC system from Nikon?

Honestly, I don't like the EVF's in their current state (for any camera, really).  I assume they'll get there eventually but right now preference is an OVF.

Since the EVF is definitely not the killer feature for me, coupled with the fact that my D750 is still going strong and is all the camera I need, why change?

I'll wait until using the D750 is untenable to use and then rethink my position when that time comes.

That being said, I still think they are good cameras--especially for those photogs who are looking for those feature sets; so I won't bash them.

-- hide signature --

There's no shame in using auto or semiauto modes--no matter what the salesdroids at Best Buy tell you.

LordKOTL's gear list:LordKOTL's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +3 more
OP JMD-70 Senior Member • Posts: 1,843
Re: Peronally I think that...

olyflyer wrote:

...this thread should be moved to the FX forum.

This is the Nikon Z forum, and I guess that 90% (or more) of those active here actually HAVE the Nikon Z, so asking here why we don't get the Z is a bit awkward and pointless.

I dumped my D800 back in November as soon as the Z7 became available. The reasons were many, and all those are valid even today. If I could turn back time I'd do it even today, not a single moment of regret so far.

Note,...the reason I made the post here is because,...I,...and I'm sure a lot more others,...come to the Z Forum to get the latest news from ZUs (Z Users),...to see what ZUs are doing with their Z Series bodies.

I suppose it could have been posted in the FX Forum,....or should be moved.  However, isn't it still relevant to the Z Series,...afterall,...aren't folks responding with their rational for not getting a Z Series,...or their rational for getting a Z Series!

-- hide signature --

JMD
...D850 / D500/  WT-7 x2!
......Nikon forever,...again!!

JMD-70's gear list:JMD-70's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Sara Valentine Contributing Member • Posts: 815

olyflyer wrote:

This is the Nikon Z forum, and I guess that 90% (or more) of those active here actually HAVE the Nikon Z, so asking here why we don't get the Z is a bit awkward and pointless.

Making conclusions based on guesses is myopic and pointless.

Re: Peronally I think that... "Wrong!"

cerj wrote:

armin304 wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Where it doesn't belong, since this thread is about the Nikon Z and the reasons an originally interested person didn't buy one.

The Nikon Z forum is for everyone interested in the Nikon Z, not only the actual owners.

I dumped my D800 back in November as soon as the Z7 became available. The reasons were many, and all those are valid even today. If I could turn back time I'd do it even today, not a single moment of regret so far.

The op never had an intention to purchase a Z, he opened with wanting a D8xx. If he had actual interest the post would be more questioning then acting as if he really knows the camera

Wrong!  I was amongst the many that waited 'til the clock struck "00.01" as the internet flooded with Nikon's announcement of the Z7,...to include the surprise to everyone,...the Z6 as well).  I did this just as I had done for other Nikon announcements,....D200, D3/ D700/D300, D3s, D4, D4s, D5, D750,...D800,...D810,...D850!  Yeah,...I lose sleep over this stuff!!!

That said, I also attended the local Nikon "Promo Day" for the Z Series launch at my local brick and mortar camera store!,...  I had already read up on the leaked info for the "Z7",...so, while others had their ears clued to the Nikon Rep,...I toyed with a Z7 for nearly 2 hours, etc.

That said,...I'm made crazy about the new tech the Z Series bring to the table,...  But!  Like it or not,...the Z7 is not a "Homerun",...it's a Base Hit!  Even with Nikon's trade allowance,...I still didn't jump the fence!  As for me,...it wasn't about the "price"!  It was about the totality of the features the Z Series brought to the table.  Case in point,...the regular Corvette is awesome,..but that Z06 will get your blood 'a-stirring!

So, after a bit of thinking about this,....for many months,...that is,...where is Nikon going with all of this,...I decided to twist my wrist a bit Harder and get the D850!  Yes!  The D850,...a regular old DSLR,...which makes no apologies!  And just think,...the D850's replacement most likely will have many in Nikon's line,...again!

-- hide signature --

JMD

Nikon D500 Nikon D850
FLG2012
FLG2012 Forum Member • Posts: 72
Re: Playing Contrarian to my self - why the Z instead of a D850

Mike, your logical, carefully reasoned posts that avoid the biased extremes are greatly appreciated, and needed.

FLG2012's gear list:FLG2012's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +8 more
Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 7,902
Happy with my current gear and living without GAS for a change

I shoot for work for 35 years and there was always something 'better' on the horizon. I had, and still have, Sinar and Cambo 4x5"systems, Hasselblad 6x6cm, Nikon FM and Nikkormat bodies plus lenses, a string of first Bowens then Broncolor studio flash gear, Durst Labrador 138S enlarger (this beast is still standing 2 meters from where I type this) and I could go on and on about filters and tripods and whatnot.

I now have two D750's and  full ranges of handpicked and thoroughly tested both primes and zooms, plus two DX 24MP cameras with zooms for 'always with me bang around on my bicycle' use.

Very happy with this 24MP setup. Although you can get more resolution in some parts of the image with higher MP bodies, for my use that is often not very useful as I often need deep DoF. With more enlargement (resolution) the DoF will get smaller which means stopping down, which in turn means less resolution and thus less enlargement. The only client I ever had that did want more MP was a small time art dealer who demanded 100MP shots from a Hasselblad for his 1600 pixels wide web images because his clients 'wanted the best'. Sadly he could not pay more than €5 per reproduction as the art work was mostly in the sub-€200 category. That's what I always liked about the profession, there's no lack of interesting characters you meet

Back to the Zs, I don't know what benefit they'd give me. I'm perfectly happy with my current gear. I read the Z forum from time to time and I do not see real benefits for my use, only potential problems and yet another dive into the sea of GAS.

No thanks for now, when something I need on a regular basis breaks down, I'll have another look. I am happy for those that are using the new system and like it. Just can't see what problem it would solve for me as I'm not aware of any problems.

-- hide signature --

Philip

Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 13,334
I'm not waiting for a MILC.

I've got it way too good as it is :^)  My D850 will get birds in flight much better than a Z and it provides a man-sized grip for long lenses.  Long lenses with an adaptor on the Z are a kludge.

For family gatherings/weddings or snapshots of the busy grandson with the 24-85VR, the face detection on the D850 is simply outstanding.  The 24-85VR is plenty sharp center to mid.

For landscapes, 28mm is my preferred focal length.  Not too wide, not too long, perfect for panos.  There is no plan to introduce a 28 in the Z roadmap.  I also find the Sigma 50Art an easy call at f 5.6 plus over the 50S.  I don't normally use a superwide these days, having a low tolerance  for ballooned sides and corners.  I much prefer to shoot two to twelve shots and stitch, which gives me massive resolution, far better corners and realistic geometry.  The Z7 really has nothing I need or want.

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Photophanatic Regular Member • Posts: 147

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ plus a D500, D810 and D850 already in my kit along with too many lenses.  Being 88 years of age also has it's realities relative to starting out with a new system.  That said, if I was still in my 70s, a Z6 would be what I'd be shooting.

Photophanatic's gear list:Photophanatic's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 +22 more
Veloster75 Contributing Member • Posts: 664

JMD-70 wrote:

cerj wrote:

armin304 wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Where it doesn't belong, since this thread is about the Nikon Z and the reasons an originally interested person didn't buy one.

The Nikon Z forum is for everyone interested in the Nikon Z, not only the actual owners.

The op never had an intention to purchase a Z, he opened with wanting a D8xx. If he had actual interest the post would be more questioning then acting as if he really knows the camera

Wrong! I was amongst the many that waited 'til the clock struck "00.01" as the internet flooded with Nikon's announcement of the Z7,...to include the surprise to everyone,...the Z6 as well). I did this just as I had done for other Nikon announcements,....D200, D3/ D700/D300, D3s, D4, D4s, D5, D750,...D800,...D810,...D850! Yeah,...I lose sleep over this stuff!!!

That said, I also attended the local Nikon "Promo Day" for the Z Series launch at my local brick and mortar camera store!,... I had already read up on the leaked info for the "Z7",...so, while others had their ears clued to the Nikon Rep,...I toyed with a Z7 for nearly 2 hours, etc.

That said,...I'm made crazy about the new tech the Z Series bring to the table,... But! Like it or not,...the Z7 is not a "Homerun",...it's a Base Hit! Even with Nikon's trade allowance,...I still didn't jump the fence! As for me,...it wasn't about the "price"! It was about the totality of the features the Z Series brought to the table. Case in point,...the regular Corvette is awesome,..but that Z06 will get your blood 'a-stirring!

So, after a bit of thinking about this,....for many months,...that is,...where is Nikon going with all of this,...I decided to twist my wrist a bit Harder and get the D850! Yes! The D850,...a regular old DSLR,...which makes no apologies! And just think,...the D850's replacement most likely will have many in Nikon's line,...again!

No need to be apologetic about purchasing a D850. It's the best all around DSLR ever made. I have one. I like to have different tools for different jobs. There are just times where I don't want to lug a behemoth D850 with grip and 24-105 lens! Having a Z7 with the D850 sensor on board and a 24-70 S lens is simply the best of both worlds. Now get out there and shoot Marine and stop playing with the keyboard!

-- hide signature --

A retired law enforcement officer now enjoying his lifelong love of photography full time.

Veloster75's gear list:Veloster75's gear list
Nikon Z7 Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +10 more
xPhoenix
xPhoenix Senior Member • Posts: 1,746

Z has nothing of interest to me.  I like the D850's long battery life, superior focusing, OVF, dual card slots, ability to use native F-mount glass and the list goes on....

As a wildlife shooter, it looks like the Z camera isn't geared towards me.  No native long lenses are coming any time soon.  I was going to buy one of these cameras, but after the official press release back in August, I changed my tune real quick.  Hard pass; no thanks.

xPhoenix's gear list:xPhoenix's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +4 more
Old Ed Senior Member • Posts: 1,841
Re: One more thing...

It's common for Brand Fans to complain that DPR is biased in favor of Other Brands. I don't really see that, so I don't buy it. HOWEVER: I do see a tendency for DPR to avoid legitimate criticism of manufacturers.

In my opinion, DPR should have really called Nikon out on the Z compatibility fiasco--especially considering Canon's vastly better, 3-adapter offering. But that hasn't happened, apart from a brief mention in Dan Bracaglia's article.

You let your readers down some on this one, DPR. But you still have a great site.

olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,257

armin304 wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

...but there are more people who consider (or not) the Z over there than here.

Yes, but if you want to know why people are NOT buying the Z then the Z forum is the wrong forum because most of us already have the camera...

...so the question that should be asked "Why did we buy the Z6 or the Z7 and NOT a D850 or the D750"?

Edit: I just noticed that the thread was moved.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
commiebiker Senior Member • Posts: 2,067
Re: No support: Nikkor AI, AI-S, AF, AF-D

Old Ed wrote:

Come on, Nikon! Even at extra cost, you can't offer a Z adapter with lens support matching a D750 (1300 USD), or even a D7200 (700 USD)? Really?

This is simply planned obsolescence, and contempt for life-long Nikon customers like me.

Why wouldn't I switch to Sony, with their far larger native lens range, dual slots, etc.? To my knowledge, 'dumb' AI/AI-S adapters would work just as well on A bodies.

But it was a nice ride while it lasted, with many fond memories...

-OE

I'm pretty sure they didn't do it just to pi$$ you off   With the current adapter, there is full support for dozens of modern lenses, and better than ever functionality for manual focus.

While there are some AF-D gems out there, many of those older lenses are not a great match for modern sensors.

I'd rather Nikon keep investing in the new Z lenses than in adapters to support the old lenses.

Nikon has been better than any camera company I can think of in supporting legacy products.  At a certain point, you need to leave some of it behind.  I work in software and remember how some customers whined when we decided to no longer support 5" floppies

Those lenses you spoke of will continue to work on a whole range of DSLRs, so just keep one around and continue to enjoy them

commiebiker's gear list:commiebiker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony a7S Sony a7R II +20 more
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,257

Sara Valentine wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Making conclusions based on guesses is myopic and pointless.

I think it is not a baseless or myopic guess to say that most people who frequently post and is active on the Z forum are actually Z owners and most people on the FX forum are NOT.

It's not like making guesses about a new model or something similar, which in my opinion is just pointless speculation.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 470

olyflyer wrote:

armin304 wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

...but there are more people who consider (or not) the Z over there than here.

Yes, but if you want to know why people are NOT buying the Z then the Z forum is the wrong forum because most of us already have the camera...

...so the question that should be asked "Why did we buy the Z6 or the Z7 and NOT a D850 or the D750"?

Edit: I just noticed that the thread was moved.

maybe the forum "camera lenses, systems etc  " is where these sorts of general questions about choices might find a natural habitat?

However, whatever the OP's intention,  i own to seeking views in the forum appropriate to the system i am thinking of buying into.

I found your reply, ollyflyer,  to my off topic enquiry about your experience with your z7 on the N1 forum extremely helpful and although i will almost certainly be buying a z6 rather than z7 within the next month or so, it is good to be able to share views with others trying to make that decision - after all, it is a shed load of money, even if you are working to cover that by selling other stuff.

richard

AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 2,214

I disagree with your premise that anyone is "waiting" for anything. Those who want MLC today will buy Sony or Panasonic. Those who want a tool to do a job will buy whatever does that job. I'm not "waiting" for anything, I use what I have and I'm happy.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more

Veloster75 wrote:

JMD-70 wrote:

cerj wrote:

armin304 wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Wrong! I was amongst the many that waited 'til the clock struck "00.01" as the internet flooded with Nikon's announcement of the Z7,...to include the surprise to everyone,...the Z6 as well). I did this just as I had done for other Nikon announcements,....D200, D3/ D700/D300, D3s, D4, D4s, D5, D750,...D800,...D810,...D850! Yeah,...I lose sleep over this stuff!!!

That said, I also attended the local Nikon "Promo Day" for the Z Series launch at my local brick and mortar camera store!,... I had already read up on the leaked info for the "Z7",...so, while others had their ears clued to the Nikon Rep,...I toyed with a Z7 for nearly 2 hours, etc.

That said,...I'm made crazy about the new tech the Z Series bring to the table,... But! Like it or not,...the Z7 is not a "Homerun",...it's a Base Hit! Even with Nikon's trade allowance,...I still didn't jump the fence! As for me,...it wasn't about the "price"! It was about the totality of the features the Z Series brought to the table. Case in point,...the regular Corvette is awesome,..but that Z06 will get your blood 'a-stirring!

So, after a bit of thinking about this,....for many months,...that is,...where is Nikon going with all of this,...I decided to twist my wrist a bit Harder and get the D850! Yes! The D850,...a regular old DSLR,...which makes no apologies! And just think,...the D850's replacement most likely will have many in Nikon's line,...again!

No need to be apologetic about purchasing a D850. It's the best all around DSLR ever made. I have one. I like to have different tools for different jobs. There are just times where I don't want to lug a behemoth D850 with grip and 24-105 lens! Having a Z7 with the D850 sensor on board and a 24-70 S lens is simply the best of both worlds. Now get out there and shoot Marine and stop playing with the keyboard!

Agreed,  But was't apologizing on my behalf,...what I had hoped to convey was,....being that the D850 being a regular old DSLR,....(with awesome features),....."the D850 makes no apologies!"

-- hide signature --

JMD

Nikon D500 Nikon D850
DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 3,831
Size and weight are not why I buy a camera.

JMD-70 wrote:

I am not. The only  reasons/ justifications/ rationalizations  for  Z6/7  are size  and weight.

Every commentary I have read  has deflected  any downside to MILC  by stating they want smaller, lighter. Everything they give up putting down their D850  or whatever model DSLR  is justified by the trade off in size and weight.

I have zero issue with the weight of a 67,  or the noise of the ginormous flapping mirror,  or how everyone will see I am holding a camera. The same applies to my D800 series kit.

The thought that I would buy another 35mm camera with even the tiniest bit less functionality to save ounces  is absurd. I am already  compromising big time  with the 2x3 sensor.

At least a  GFXs with a 44x33  sensor/ native aspect ratio would  be a step up.

-- hide signature --

dw

AZBlue wrote:

I disagree with your premise that anyone is "waiting" for anything. Those who want MLC today will buy Sony or Panasonic. Those who want a tool to do a job will buy whatever does that job. I'm not "waiting" for anything, I use what I have and I'm happy.

AZBlue,....I disagree with your disagreement, as I believe it's part of game in this industry we're in and that is to often times wait and see what a Mfr releases before pulling the trigger on what's readily available,...or what may be coming down the line in a few years or so!

This is how I upgrade all of my gear,....from cellphones, to TVs to autos!  I suspect you do the same as well....

For instance,...I have never bought the first model year of a new car model!  If one wants the best features,...and potentially a vehicle (of a given model line) with the least amount of issues,...then go with the middle to later year models.  Case in point,..as a employee working part-time at BB,...we sold plenty of "early adopters" plasma TV sets,...some $4k,..$6k,...and even $10k!  Yet for plasmas sets to be extinct today!  Oh!  I did finally buy a plasma set,...about 5-6 years ago,....and paid a whopping $636 at the base exchange!

So, you see, it's in a smart buyer's nature to wait and see what's what before jumping in the pool first,...at least allow someone else to test the water!

Fyi, I knew the success,...thereof, of the Z7 would affect the D850 sales!  Just as I knew the success of the D850's,...continued popularity would affect the newly released Z7.  So, I,...like many others,...just played Nikon's hand against itself.

So,...I have one more DX body to unload,...and I will be back to 100% FF across the board!  The question is,...will it be the D750 replacement?  Or a Z Series 2.0 body.  Once this occurs,...I would have bought my last camera - I think!

-- hide signature --

JMD

Nikon D500 Nikon D850
bocajrs
bocajrs Senior Member • Posts: 2,419

JMD-70 wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

AZBlue,....I disagree with your disagreement, as I believe it's part of game in this industry we're in and that is to often times wait and see what a Mfr releases before pulling the trigger on what's readily available,...or what may be coming down the line in a few years or so!

This is how I upgrade all of my gear,....from cellphones, to TVs to autos! I suspect you do the same as well....

For instance,...I have never bought the first model year of a new car model! If one wants the best features,...and potentially a vehicle (of a given model line) with the least amount of issues,...then go with the middle to later year models. Case in point,..as a employee working part-time at BB,...we sold plenty of "early adopters" plasma TV sets,...some $4k,..$6k,...and even $10k! Yet for plasmas sets to be extinct today! Oh! I did finally buy a plasma set,...about 5-6 years ago,....and paid a whopping $636 at the base exchange!

So, you see, it's in a smart buyer's nature to wait and see what's what before jumping in the pool first,...at least allow someone else to test the water!

Fyi, I knew the success,...thereof, of the Z7 would affect the D850 sales! Just as I knew the success of the D850's,...continued popularity would affect the newly released Z7. So, I,...like many others,...just played Nikon's hand against itself.

So,...I have one more DX body to unload,...and I will be back to 100% FF across the board! The question is,...will it be the D750 replacement? Or a Z Series 2.0 body. Once this occurs,...I would have bought my last camera - I think!

Great points by everyone. I've learned my lesson on upgrading early.

Like you, JMD, I'm waiting for that D760 if it ever comes or ZZZZ V2.0

bocajrs's gear list:bocajrs's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Samsung Galaxy Note9 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads