ring light for the Oly 60mm macro?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Newbie6824 Forum Member • Posts: 84
ring light for the Oly 60mm macro?

Anyone have a recommendation for a ring light to use with the Pen F or OMD EM1 MKII and the Oly 60mm macro lens?

Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Martin JC Senior Member • Posts: 2,615
Re: ring light for the Oly 60mm macro?

Newbie6824 wrote:

Anyone have a recommendation for a ring light to use with the Pen F or OMD EM1 MKII and the Oly 60mm macro lens?

Nope, but its a good question.  Maybe if one does not exist, a small led panel for extra-light?  Sorry can't help further...

CalNature Senior Member • Posts: 1,239

I use on originally designed for the 4/3 system. It works fine with an adapter.

Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,655

Newbie6824 wrote:

Not a "ring" flash, but definitely a macro flash designed to be used with it?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1294152-REG/olympus_v326160bw000_stf_8_twin_flash.html

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X +30 more
agott123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,090

Newbie6824 wrote:

Anyone have a recommendation for a ring light to use with the Pen F or OMD EM1 MKII and the Oly 60mm macro lenS

The old Sunpak DX8R. Good and cheap

-- hide signature --

Couldn't help but make me feel ashamed to live in a land
Where justice is a game. From Bob Dylan's 'Hurricane'

agott123's gear list:agott123's gear list
Nikon D80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +21 more
brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 3,780

I just bought this one for grins when it was half off a few days ago. I figured for $40, it might be worth playing around with. It is a continuous light, not shutter triggered. The hot shoe mount is not hot. You just turn the unit on and the LED ring glows, and you take your photo. Or supposedly that is how it works. The ring comes with different sized mounting adapters, the smallest being 49mm, so I'll have to get a 46-49 step-up ring to be able to mount it on the Oly 60mm.  I haven't tried it yet so can't actually recommend it, but the reviews are relatively positive for what it is.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750879-REG/bolt_vm_110_led_macro_ring.html

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +14 more
Martin JC Senior Member • Posts: 2,615

brentbrent wrote:

I just bought this one for grins when it was half off a few days ago. I figured for $40, it might be worth playing around with. It is a continuous light, not shutter triggered. The hot shoe mount is not hot. You just turn the unit on and the LED ring glows, and you take your photo. Or supposedly that is how it works. The ring comes with different sized mounting adapters, the smallest being 49mm, so I'll have to get a 46-49 step-up ring to be able to mount it on the Oly 60mm. I haven't tried it yet so can't actually recommend it, but the reviews are relatively positive for what it is.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750879-REG/bolt_vm_110_led_macro_ring.html

Very helpful Brent.  OP should look closely at this....

glassoholic
glassoholic Senior Member • Posts: 3,760

True ringlight flashes (circular flash tubes) are just not readily available any more like in the old OM System days. The Oly STF 8 and Metz MS 15 are macro flashes attached to a ring (two small flash tubes 180° opposite each other). I have the Metz and it works but the quality of light is very harsh... same as the Oly STF 8. There are LED non flash ring shaped lights that are better in creating the classic shadowless light of a true ringlight but are very weak in power compared to the flash macro "ringlights".

If your camera has an old style PC Flash Sync then one if the old true flash ringlights can be made to work and used in full manual mode (flash meter or trial and error).

-- hide signature --

M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me. Make the best you can of every day!

DarrenChef
DarrenChef Regular Member • Posts: 128

I have the Stf-8 flash system and it works great.

DarrenChef's gear list:DarrenChef's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +1 more
Peter 1745 Senior Member • Posts: 1,417

Yours is a question that pops up regularly on this forum.

Here are a couple of old threads that may be helpful.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52613467

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62154750

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter
'Keep taking the photos'

Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 5,641
Godox

Newbie6824 wrote:

I came across this in the Adorama catalog ...

https://www.adorama.com/goml150.html

Haven't used it myself, so can't offer a useful opinion, but looks interesting.

Jeff's gear list:Jeff's gear list
Olympus 45mm F1.2 Pro Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +9 more
DarrenChef
DarrenChef Regular Member • Posts: 128
Re: Godox

The issue with these generic ring flashes is their bulky size, the 60mm macro lens is tiny and with a great big bulky ringlight becomes unmanageable.

the stf-8 is tiny and manageable even though sometimes i do struggle with the curly cables getting caught up.

It depends on your requirements i suppose, i use mine for nature and bugs, sticking the lens into bushes etc, if you wanted a studio set up why not use static LED lights or off camera flash units

DarrenChef's gear list:DarrenChef's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads