RX10 IV BIF update

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Geekapoo
OP Geekapoo Senior Member • Posts: 2,015
Re: RX10 IV BIF update

Sweet! Thanks.

Geekapoo's gear list:Geekapoo's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X-T3 +9 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 42,204

Geekapoo wrote:

People should be able to capture good BIF pics with just about any camera,

Yes but it depends a lot on skill. People shot BIF with manual focus cameras in the past but it depended a lot on pre focusing manually to a certain distance.

Back in 2006 I owned a Fuji s9000. A Canon user trolling the Fuji forum said it was impossible to shoot BIF with the camera because of the slow CDAF. I considered it a challenge to prove him wrong so I shot some to shut him up.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
Geekapoo
Some additional BIF pics taken today and yesterday

At the Viera Wetlands (Melbourne, FL) and Black Point Drive (Merritt Island, FL).

Some additional examples of the capabilities of the RX10 IV AF-C. Was fascinating to see the reactions of two photographers carrying FF cameras/200-500mm lenses as we reviewed our shots. The little bridge zoom that could.

Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X-T3 +9 more
AlwynS Senior Member • Posts: 2,273
Re: Some additional BIF pics taken today and yesterday

The first image (Roseate Spoonbills?) is gorgeous! Some of the others were (surprisingly I thought!) a touch soft. The second image, while sharp, shows (again surprisingly!) more noise in the water than I am used to with the RX10 IV. In looking at the EXIF info I was wondering whether sticking to F4 and reducing the ISO to no more than 200 in this good light, even if it would have meant a bit of a reduction in shutter speed, might not have been a good idea?

In any event: well done!!

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
tbcass
Those images aren't good....

...They're fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- hide signature --

Tom

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
Geekapoo

AlwynS wrote:

The first image (Roseate Spoonbills?) is gorgeous! Some of the others were (surprisingly I thought!) a touch soft. The second image, while sharp, shows (again surprisingly!) more noise in the water than I am used to with the RX10 IV. In looking at the EXIF info I was wondering whether sticking to F4 and reducing the ISO to no more than 200 in this good light, even if it would have meant a bit of a reduction in shutter speed, might not have been a good idea?

In any event: well done!!

Peeping at it just now, I see what you mean about the water noise (though it looks quite nice if you don't peep). I probably should have stopped down more. To be honest with you, the shoot that day was kind of crazy. I was not paying very close attention to the RX10 IV as I was taking the opportunity (birds!) to see what my Fuji X-T3 could do. If 300mm (FF equiv) was not enough reach for a shot, I'd defer to the RX10 IV, sometimes having to briefly wait as it woke up after sleep mode. If interested, some Roseate Spoonbills taken within minutes of the RX10 shots can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154538030@N02/albums/72157707489214845

BIF photography is much fun but pretty challenging when using 2 cameras with different UI, one of which I was actively trying to sorting out settings for.  I have been able to bump up the % keeper rate for the Fuji X-T3 considerably in the past 10 days. The RX10 IV does overall have better AF-C tracking..

Geekapoo
Re: Those images aren't good....

tbcass wrote:

Thanks Tom. I do think they are technically pretty good. The real challenge now (given how good the RX10 IV AF-C tracking is, is putting the birds in some sort of interesting surrounding context. Much easier to do with stationary birds! Below are some examples. Cheers.

Rodger1943
Rodger1943 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,608

No problems with BIF in that series. Of course you are using the RX10. I now understand what you were implying with the smaller lens on the Fuji, that he longer focal lengths pose an extra problem. Agreed, that's why I use a RDS, it helps overcome the narrow depth of field you get with a long lens, as you don't use the viewfinder at all.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ1000 FZ200 SOny RX10 iv

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 +2 more
Rodger1943

I agree with you Tom. Up until I bought the RX10 4, all my previous cameras had CDAF and I got many good BIF shots with those cameras. CDAF may not be as good as PDAF, but I think its a lot better than some people believe.

-- hide signature --

tbcass

Geekapoo wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Thanks Tom. I do think they are technically pretty good. The real challenge now (given how good the RX10 IV AF-C tracking is, is putting the birds in some sort of interesting surrounding context. Much easier to do with stationary birds! Below are some examples. Cheers.

With BIF you can't be picky about backgrounds. You take what you can get and hope you're lucky.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass

Rodger1943 wrote:

I agree with you Tom. Up until I bought the RX10 4, all my previous cameras had CDAF and I got many good BIF shots with those cameras. CDAF may not be as good as PDAF, but I think its a lot better than some people believe.

I used manual focus on the seagull.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Rodger1943

tbcass wrote:

Rodger1943 wrote:

Even more impressive, Tom.

-- hide signature --

tbcass

Rodger1943 wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Rodger1943 wrote:

It's zone focusing. You pre focus to a zone and when the bird enters that zone only quick fine tuning is necessary. It's something you had to do before the days of auto focus.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Geekapoo

tbcass wrote:

Rodger1943 wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Rodger1943 wrote:

It's zone focusing. You pre focus to a zone and when the bird enters that zone only quick fine tuning is necessary. It's something you had to do before the days of auto focus.

Zone focusing was the route I had to take with my Olympus EM1/40-150 f2.8..I used AF-S to get an initial focus lock and from there, zone focused (had camera set to AF+MF) with some focus peaking guidance as the AF-C tracking was essentially worthless for BIF. Worked quite well, increasing the # of keepers significantly. Occasionally I'll shoot BIF using only MF and focus peaking. Gives me tremendous appreciation of the challenges pre AF!

Rachael P
Rachael P Regular Member • Posts: 401

Geekapoo wrote:

tbcass wrote:

All great photos, and completely agree with your premise.

Rachael P's gear list:Rachael P's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R III Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads