Walmart 810 Price!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
stevef1961
stevef1961 Senior Member • Posts: 2,159
Walmart 810 Price!

How is Walmart selling the D810 for 1654.00 when everyone else has is for 2700.00?

Seems too good to be true.

stevef1961's gear list:stevef1961's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon 24mm F1.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,977
Re: Walmart 810 Price!

And how is it that when I go to look on-line there is Exactly 1 Left?

If anyone actually is able to get one for that price please post.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon D7200 +30 more
jerryh2 Regular Member • Posts: 204

It's on Walmart's site but it's sold by Tri-State Cameras (and others.) It is certainly grey market and can be gotten at other sites for the same price or less. (Abe's of Maine shows it for $1,589 ==> https://www.abesofmaine.com/Nikon_D810_DSLR_Camera_Body_Only_1002651.html?l=Conexity

Proceed at your own risk.

Schrodingers_cat Senior Member • Posts: 2,117
It's gray market.

I guess Walmart would stand behind it if it arrived DOA, but you'd still have the problem of not being able to get it serviced by Nikon USA.

James809 Contributing Member • Posts: 973
Re: It's gray market.

Schrodingers_cat wrote:

I guess Walmart would stand behind it if it arrived DOA, but you'd still have the problem of not being able to get it serviced by Nikon USA.

Authorized Nikon USA repair centers can get parts and will repair. They won't do factory warranty work, but you can get it serviced.

James809's gear list:James809's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D750 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D4 +8 more
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,002
Re: Walmart’s On-Line-Only Grey Flea Market

stevef1961 wrote:

How is Walmart selling the D810 for 1654.00 when everyone else has is for 2700.00?

Walmart has joined Amazon in the grey on-line flea market.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +44 more
gnet158 Senior Member • Posts: 2,763

D810 is a solid camera, I wouldn't hesitate buying a gray market if I were in the market.  If it needs service, I believe they offer a 1 year.  Send it in to an authorized after that.

-- hide signature --

I got to get out and shoot more.

gnet158's gear list:gnet158's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon D850
Smitty1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,810
Walmart website similar to Amazon: they allow 3rd party sellers

stevef1961 wrote:

And it is too good to be true.  Unless you are comfortable with grey market from a shady reseller...

Stan Disbrow Veteran Member • Posts: 3,457

Hi,

I have had first-hand experience with Nikon USA refusing to even look at a gray-market item. I am talking about non-warranty, paid-by-me, service. So, I would steer clear of any and all gray-market Nikon items.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume
your bank account, it will! Like mine, it did!

Stan Disbrow's gear list:Stan Disbrow's gear list
Nikon D1H Kodak DCS760 Nikon Df Kodak DCS520 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition +22 more
SushiEater
SushiEater Veteran Member • Posts: 9,423

gnet158 wrote:

D810 is a solid camera, I wouldn't hesitate buying a gray market if I were in the market. If it needs service, I believe they offer a 1 year. Send it in to an authorized after that.

Nikon authorized service will not even look at grey market camera. A year after or 10 years after.

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.
Photography Director for Whedonopolis.com

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +14 more

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

I have had first-hand experience with Nikon USA refusing to even look at a gray-market item. I am talking about non-warranty, paid-by-me, service. So, I would steer clear of any and all gray-market Nikon items.

That's why I specified authorized service center in my post. But, I understand completely your position and experience. I'm going by what's been shared here and on a few other sites, as well as at least one person who has confirmed that an authorized service center agreed to service their D810. I've never needed service for my D810. I should probably plug the S/N in and see what pops out of the website.

SushiEater wrote:

gnet158 wrote:

D810 is a solid camera, I wouldn't hesitate buying a gray market if I were in the market. If it needs service, I believe they offer a 1 year. Send it in to an authorized after that.

Nikon authorized service will not even look at grey market camera. A year after or 10 years after.

From a horse's mouth: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62356315

Stan Disbrow Veteran Member • Posts: 3,457
Hit and miss on authorization

Hi,

Many times, the bodies are not authorized for service outside of Nikon USA. Usually, the higher-end ones. After a while, once they have been long out of production, other service centers may obtain authorization. Sometimes, Nikon USA never releases their hold.

In that case, one has to send their gray market items back to Japan. I don't know where the 810 lies at this point in time. But it is always a concern.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume
your bank account, it will! Like mine, it did!

Stan Disbrow's gear list:Stan Disbrow's gear list
Nikon D1H Kodak DCS760 Nikon Df Kodak DCS520 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition +22 more
SushiEater

James809 wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

gnet158 wrote:

From a horse's mouth: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62356315

Actually it is not horse's mouth. It is a hearsay.

But this is directly from the horse's mouth.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-store/gray-market.page

Second thing on the right:

Not eligible for Nikon USA repair service, even if you want to pay for it.

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.

Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +14 more
MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,154

SushiEater wrote:

It applies only to Nikon USA repair service, not to a 3rd party repair center.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
SushiEater

TOF guy wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

It applies only to Nikon USA repair service, not to a 3rd party repair center.

Third party repair service does not have access to the parts. Maybe some parts from other broken cameras but if something serious happens then grey market camera  most likely  out of luck.

-- hide signature --

SushiEater wrote:

Third party repair service does not have access to the parts.

They do have access to the parts after the camera has been on the market for a while. That's the case for a D810 .

if something serious happens then grey market camera most likely out of luck.

Once Nikon makes the parts available there is little difference: I'd bet one pays less with a 3rd party repair.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
Re: Hit and miss on authorization

Stan wrote:

After a while, once they have been long out of production, other service centers may obtain authorization. I don't know where the 810 lies at this point in time.

See this link .

-- hide signature --

jerryh2 wrote:

sold by Tri-State Cameras (and others.)

Proceed at your own risk.

That's a true concern: can you trust these guys or is it more bait and switch ?

-- hide signature --

SushiEater

TOF guy wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

Third party repair service does not have access to the parts.

They do have access to the parts after the camera has been on the market for a while. That's the case for a D810 .

Oh, be serious. Do you know definition of "rumors"? On top of that did you actually read the article? did you actually go on the Nikon site. They are totally wrong. What it means is that if the camera is new it can only be repaired by the Nikon. But if the camera is old it can be repaired by an authorized repair service. No where it says that Nikon provides non-authorized service. Easy to check, just type in Nikon D4 in to search box and site will list all the authorized service places.

That is why it says right on top:

Find a Nikon Authorized Repair Station.

if something serious happens then grey market camera most likely out of luck.

Once Nikon makes the parts available there is little difference: I'd bet one pays less with a 3rd party repair.

Read above. Nikon does not sell parts to non-authorized services.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads