D850 sensor filter -- IR cutoff?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 1,232
D850 sensor filter -- IR cutoff?

I searched and found no mention of filters in respect to the D850 sensor other than the common knowledge fact that it LACKS the anti-aliasing filter that many cameras have.

What I want to know is if there are any infrared filters (or IR cut-off) at the D850 sensor -- does anyone know for sure?
While you're here! If you use an infrared filter on your D850, what 'nm' values have you found work best?

Thanks much,
Chris

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Forum Member • Posts: 81
Re: D850 sensor filter -- IR cutoff?

I'd like to know this as well.

bclaff Veteran Member • Posts: 8,303

NotASpeckOfCereal wrote:

I searched and found no mention of filters in respect to the D850 sensor other than the common knowledge fact that it LACKS the anti-aliasing filter that many cameras have.

What I want to know is if there are any infrared filters (or IR cut-off) at the D850 sensor -- does anyone know for sure?

Yes, there is an IR cut filter ("hot mirror").
They are present in all cameras (unless it's an IR version or conversion) because the sensor is very sensitive to IR and lack of the cut filter would mess up "normal" colors.

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

OP NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 1,232

bclaff wrote:

NotASpeckOfCereal wrote:

They are present in all cameras (unless it's an IR version or conversion) because the sensor is very sensitive to IR and lack of the cut filter would mess up "normal" colors.

Well then, what good with IR filters on my lens do, cutting off wave lengths below the filter specification (760nm, 850nm, etc.) when the IR filter probably cuts off something from a much higher point than that (over 1000nm)?

Chris

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
bclaff Veteran Member • Posts: 8,303

NotASpeckOfCereal wrote:

bclaff wrote:

NotASpeckOfCereal wrote:

Well then, what good with IR filters on my lens do, cutting off wave lengths below the filter specification (760nm, 850nm, etc.) when the IR filter probably cuts off something from a much higher point than that (over 1000nm)?

You should look at the specifications for the specific filter.

I'm pretty sure you'll find it's blocking light outside the red/IR range.
This way the green and blue doesn't overwhelm what little IR is getting past the cut filter.
This also necessitates longer exposures.

Which is why "serious" IR work involves having the IR cut filter removed so you have a "full spectrum" camera. 
At that point, your choice of filter is slightly different I think.
You can also get into UV but that requires different lenses.

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

xPhoenix
xPhoenix Senior Member • Posts: 1,633

If you're into IR, I'd check out Kolari Vision. My main camera is a D850, but I bought a full spectrum Sony a3000 from them to use for IR (could even do UV if I wanted). I have their IR Chrome filter (which is supposed to replicate Aerochrome film), the 665nm and the 850 nm filters. I'm a little disappointed in the IR Chrome, but the other two filters have produced some cool results.

Anyway, I'd definitely get a converted camera, otherwise you're gonna always need really long exposures.

Here's what the different nm filters will generally look like:

https://kolarivision.com/articles/choosing-a-filter/

xPhoenix's gear list:xPhoenix's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads