***Weekly Wildlife Thread: Mar 17th - 23rd***

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Scott Alan Regular Member • Posts: 327
Re: Bald Eagle and some Hawks

Thanks Ed. I find the head on shots easier. My side shots can tend to get the wing tip.  Still learning and so much to keep track of.

Scott Alan's gear list:Scott Alan's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
zackiedawg
OP zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 31,365
Re: ***Weekly Wildlife Thread: Mar 17th - 23rd***

Lovely  shots on the house finch and that carolina wren - I'd love to see one of those again, having only ever spotted one once.  Also love the return of the deer!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
zackiedawg

Very nice shot of the cooper's hawk - nice eye color detail captured.  Not sure on the falcon ID as that's not a bird I'd know in my area.  And congrats on the eagle.  Not a big deal to some who see them all the time, but as someone who rarely ever sees one, I'd be thrilled to get one that close!

-- hide signature --

Justin

Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
zackiedawg
More sunset BIFs, warblers, snake, bug

Like Ed, I need to do some catching up, so picking up where my last post left off, here are a few more BIFs as sunset approached on January 5th, then some from the following weekend on January 12th with some smaller birds in the forest, some waders on the hunt, and even a bug & snake.

All shots taken at Wakodahatchee Wetlands or Green Cay Wetlands, and with the A6300 and FE100-400mm combo, and all are posted at 1400 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

A cattle egret coming in from the tree line in that late afternoon warm sunlight

An ibis, all spread out to land, and calling out to warn other birds that he's approaching...ibises often bicker and honk at each other over space on the roosting trees, but it's usually more noise than action, as eventually they all seem to settle in together

The big bomber coming in to land among the fighter jets - a wood stork with wings spread for maximum glide and legs down to land

A glossy ibis banking around to land among his white ibis cousins

A mostly black cormorant, glowing reddish orange in the last glow of sunset as he flies over

Another big wood stork gliding overhead, also catching that nice warm glow of sunset

An ibis doing a lovely fly-by for the judges, but unfortunately getting no respect at all - what does an ibis need to do to make that photographer lift his lens and shoot? No respect, I tell ya!

Now on to the following weekend - starting out with the lovely female painted bunting. It was raining that day, and still lightly raining when I took the shot, but in the heavy forest tree cover, I was mostly dry - the bunting was drinking small puddles or drops of rain from the palm frond (ISO 6,400)

Dark forest tree canopy and rain/overcast sky means low light - but at least the light is even...you just need to crank the ISO (6,400)

I went to frame this flower for a closeup shot when I noticed that a bug was wandering around inside the folded leaf - so I shifted to focusing on him.  I think it's a hoverfly

A green heron, standing patiently in the rain on a reed over the water - some drops on his head and rain hanging off the bottom of the reed.

A tricolor heron running around in the shallows trying to fish, while raindrops rippled around him in the water

In the forest, looking up, with strong backlight - but I wanted to get this black-and-white warbler as he charged into a spider web and nabbed the spider for a meal. He had just grabbed it, as you can see by the falling spider leg just above the branch

The lovely banded water snake, coiled up on the reeds just off the water's surface. He was well hidden, but I found a gap in the reeds where I was able to sneak a shot.

And finally, a palm warbler, popping through the reeds out in the open wetlands

-- hide signature --

Justin

Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 18,965
Re: More sunset BIFs, warblers, snake, bug

Awesome detail in the bunting shots at ISO-6400 Justin!  I'd never attempt that ISO with my A-68 on little birds.  Maybe I should?  Also like the Ibis landing and the Green Heron.  But, my favorites are the tricolor (very rich color and nice focus) and the bee in the flower (nice focus there too).

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II

zackiedawg wrote:

Very nice shot of the cooper's hawk - nice eye color detail captured. Not sure on the falcon ID as that's not a bird I'd know in my area. And congrats on the eagle. Not a big deal to some who see them all the time, but as someone who rarely ever sees one, I'd be thrilled to get one that close!

Thanks Justin, I am lucky to have found a nest in a metro park not too far from the path.  And yes I was very excited to see them.  Great experience and what I enjoy most about wildlife photography, being outdoors watching nature.

Scott

Sony a7R III Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Re: More sunset BIFs, warblers, snake, bug

Hi Justin, nice shots.  Really like the painted bunting and the green heron.

Scott

Snowfella
Snowfella Contributing Member • Posts: 757

As per usual lots of cracker shots posted so far!

Just back from a week at the coast, family holiday (me and the better half, 3 step-kids with partners and 7 step-grandkids) so didn't have much hope for all to much free time to go hunting wildlife.

Checked in Thursday and with all the family activities plus lots of rain it wasn't till Monday when I finally got a chance to put the birding kit to use. Midday on the still wet sand dunes turned out to be seriously uncomfortable and only netted me a handful of distant shots.

Male Rainbow Bee-eater

Thought I had buggered something up with this one as the colour was soo muted...until I realized it was missing it's black bib = juvenile. Just haven't grown into it's more brilliant adult plumage yet.

Willie Wagtail

Went for a family picnic the following day and dragged the camera along for good measure, lucky I did as not only did I managed to catch some very curious locals but also managed some ankle biter shots.

Barely unpacked our lunch when the first potential picnic thief turned up to check what was on offer, parked itself right above our table.  Juvenile Pied Butcherbird.

As we didn't offer up any scraps, I'm generally against feeding wild birds, it went after someone elses left behind stale bread. Turned out within minuted that we were almost going to be outnumbered, 2 more juveniles and one adult quickly flew in along with 4 Kookaburra's.

Adult Pied Butcherbird, a nightmare to try to expose correctly when in the shade.

Kookaburra also checking out what was on offer, these guys will nick a snag straight off a hot bbq if you don't keep an eye on things!

Eastern Rosella.

While the rest of the family finished off the food I had a quick check around the nearby mudflats.

White-faced Heron

Soldier crab

Last full day of the holiday I took the time to walk the perimeter of the caravan park to see if I could get a shot of the one bird that had been taunting me the whole 7 day stay...with no luck, all I could find was another Wagtail.

As for the little thing that had taunted me during the whole stay and made me eventually try baiting with some food scraps...every morning during the stay we had 2 Grey Butcherbirds (out of 5 Butcherbird's species found in Australia only Pied and Grey can be found in NSW) would come in and check out our cabin deck for any scraps left behind and every time I missed getting even a single shot off.
Last day I relented and put out some chicken kebab leftovers and waited with gear at hand...and waited...eventually gave up 2 hours later as the sun was setting .

Que the ultimate stab in the back when the 2 little  turned up this morning to finish off the scraps 10 minutes after I had packed all the gear away.

Grey Butcherbird from the archives. Would of loved to get a less cluttered shot.

Edit, can't believe DP Review has a ban on the the variant of the "fertilizer" word 

Snowfella's gear list:Snowfella's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +1 more

Looks like the week turned out well for you in spite of all the family obligations.  Definitely plenty of variety.  Really like the wagtail shots and have never heard of a butcherbird.  Also, nice grab of the crab dancing through the sand.

-- hide signature --

AEH

Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 3,587

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

This is the last set from my Cambria, CA trip in January. A-68 and 40-400mm G2.

Elephant Seal heaven

Great shots Ed.

-Martin P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/photosauraus_rex/

mytyace Forum Member • Posts: 53

great horned owls sw fl

Nice find with those and nice shooting catching the parent and chick.  Really like #2 - very sharp and no OOF pine needles.  The late PM suns comes on a little strong IMO - maybe back off on the WB temperature just a bit.

-- hide signature --

AEH

mytyace Forum Member • Posts: 53

thanks for the reply Ed

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads