rgwaller1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,549
Re: ***At the Wetlands***

Thanks Ed.

rgwaller1's gear list:rgwaller1's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-95 Sony RX10 IV Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony a7R III +11 more
zackiedawg
OP zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 31,501
Re: ***Weekly Wildlife Thread: Mar 17th - 23rd***

Very cool - love the backlight/sidelight contrast, and the shot with the beak plunging into the water.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
zackiedawg

A very familiar bunch of birds for sure - not too much difference between N and S Florida birds...and nesting season always keeps things busy.  Like the cute egret chicks begging.

-- hide signature --

Justin

Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
zackiedawg
Re: spotted towhee

A beautiful little bird, and nice capture on the second shot with the eye.

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Roscoe,

Very nice series - especially the killdeer in flight (don't see them flying too often).  Nice to see ol' crooked jaw doing well - still courting at his age!  And the otter catch out of the water is always a privilege.  You've got some pretty good morning selections!

BTW - the EXIF is showing ILCE-9.  New purchase?  Replacing the A7RIII or supplementing it?

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg

A beautiful send-off to your west coast wildlife.  Very nice all-round.  We'll miss some of those California catches, but then again, we've been missing your deer, fox, and chipmunks!

-- hide signature --

Justin

rgwaller1
rgwaller1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,549
Re: Roscoe,

It is an add on to the A7rIII. I can not give up my resolution but wanted to see how the A9 could help me capture better shots on smaller and faster birds. It did really well on the Killdeer's but would have liked to had the 43mp of the A7RIII so I could have cropped the photo more. Looking forward to the upcoming firmware on both cameras and that should help with even better results.

rgwaller1's gear list:rgwaller1's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-95 Sony RX10 IV Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony a7R III +11 more
zackiedawg
Re: Roscoe,

rgwaller1 wrote:

It is an add on to the A7rIII. I can not give up my resolution but wanted to see how the A9 could help me capture better shots on smaller and faster birds. It did really well on the Killdeer's but would have liked to had the 43mp of the A7RIII so I could have cropped the photo more. Looking forward to the upcoming firmware on both cameras and that should help with even better results.

Makes sense.  I had strongly been considering getting the A9 as well, but I had a similar hangup with the 24MP on full-frame - similar to you losing res compared to the A7RIII, I was worried at how much more I'd need to crop compared to the APS-C sensor.

I like what the A6400 did with purported improvements in tracking, and now am really waiting to see if Sony will be coming out with an upmarket APS-C body - I'm definitely hoping for a 'mini-A9' with APS-C sensor of 24-30MP.  That would definitely be my next camera.

-- hide signature --

Justin

mytyace Forum Member • Posts: 53

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

Nice sequence with an interesting HDR effect.

no hdr effect ED might just be the way I edit? im still pretty new to this

mytyace Forum Member • Posts: 53

thank you

Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 19,023

Just trying to catch up a bit. Here's some from my local area starting two weeks ago. A-68 and 70-400mm G2.

Male House Finch in the drizzle

Eastern Gray

Carolina Wren

Great Blue Heron picking up stranded fish - from a drained Links Pond

Down the gullet

GBH in a muddy Links Pond

GBH fishing

GBH - the flip

GBH - with the thick neck syndrome

Male American Black Duck

Piebald's mom gives me a funny look

Piebald's dad having lost his antlers

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Scott Alan Regular Member • Posts: 346
Bald Eagle and some Hawks

Shot on A7RIII with 100-400mm GM and 1.4TC. The Coopers Hawk is a short walk from the house.  The Bald Eagles are nesting in a local wildlife are with lots of Ponds.

Critics welcome. Also any help identifying the one bird would be appreciated.

Coopers Hawk

Not sure but I think it might be a Prairie Falcon. However, they are not suppose to be in Central Ohio.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle

Scott Alan's gear list:Scott Alan's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4

Hi Ed, love the head shots of the deer. Nice set as always.

Sony a7R III Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Re: Lots of Clear Skies, GBHs, and Sunny BIFs

Hi Justin, nice shots of the great blue Herons.  Love how they face each other.

steelhead3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,628
Re: Bald Eagle and some Hawks

nice shots...an ID on the hawk, with its broad wings, it is a buteo.  The leading edge of the wing being dark is a good give away for red tail hawk.  The Prairie falcon is a much smaller bird with slender wings that are not as adept at soaring.

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II

These are good.  I like the Cooper's the best - sharp with perfect exposure in the snow - which adds a nice touch.  I agree with steelhead - Red-tailed Hawk.

In the sitting eagle, the whites look a little blown.  Otherwise good.  Eagle inflight - excellent exposure, but a little motion blur.

A nice set regardless.

-- hide signature --

AEH

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

These are good. I like the Cooper's the best - sharp with perfect exposure in the snow - which adds a nice touch. I agree with steelhead - Red-tailed Hawk.

In the sitting eagle, the whites look a little blown. Otherwise good. Eagle inflight - excellent exposure, but a little motion blur.

A nice set regardless.

Thanks Ed, good comments.  On the flying eagle I was on setting 1 and should have been on 2 for lens stabilization which may have contributed to motion blur. This gets me quite frequently as I go from a sitting bird to flying.

Scott

steelhead3 wrote:

nice shots...an ID on the hawk, with its broad wings, it is a buteo. The leading edge of the wing being dark is a good give away for red tail hawk. The Prairie falcon is a much smaller bird with slender wings that are not as adept at soaring.

Thanks for the ID.  It was flying with its tail feathers closed up.  ID makes since as there are a fair number of them in the area.

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

These are good. I like the Cooper's the best - sharp with perfect exposure in the snow - which adds a nice touch. I agree with steelhead - Red-tailed Hawk.

In the sitting eagle, the whites look a little blown. Otherwise good. Eagle inflight - excellent exposure, but a little motion blur.

A nice set regardless.

Good catch on the blown out whites.  On me as I just did not catch that in post processing.  Below is the corrected version.  Still not as much detail as I would like but its a heavy crop.

Corrected post processing on eagle to preserve whites

Some other shots

This was with lens stabilization on 2.

In flight with lens stabilization on 2.

Another shot of the eagle

Nice in flight shot!  You nailed the eye focus.  Very sharp too.

-- hide signature --

AEH

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads