APS-C lenses (AF) by focal length for Leica CL/TL

Started 4 days ago | Discussions
Strangefinder
Strangefinder Regular Member • Posts: 258
APS-C lenses (AF) by focal length for Leica CL/TL

APS-C lenses fully compatible with L Mount Alliance cameras:

11-23mm f/3.5-4.5 Super-Vario-Elmar-T ASPH LEICA TL
16mm F1.4 Contemporary SIGMA (L) (2020Q1)
17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM Contemporary SIGMA EF/SA via MC-21
18mm F2.8 Elmarit-TL ASPH LEICA TL
18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art SIGMA EF/SA via MC-21
18-56mm f/3.5-5.6 Vario-Elmar-T LEICA TL
18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM Contemporary SIGMA EF/SA via MC-21
18-300mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM Contemporary SIGMA EF/SA via MC-21
23mm f/2 Summicron-T ASPH LEICA TL
30mm F1.4 Contemporary SIGMA (L) (2020Q1)
30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art SIGMA EF/SA via MC-21
35mm F1.4 Summilux-TL ASPH LEICA TL
50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art SIGMA EF/SA via MC-21
55-135mm F3.5-4.5 APO-Vario-Elmar-T LEICA TL
56mm F1.4 Contemporary SIGMA (L) (2020Q1)
60mm f2.8 APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL ASPH LEICA TL

Full-frame lenses are listed here (including ART 24mm, 35mm and the 70mm Macro, which are less enormous) with notes on the MC-21 adaptor (due in Spring.)

LEICA also has adaptors for M/PL/R lenses, however these are manual focus only.

SIGMA offers a mount conversion service, too, so if one already has the 16/30/56mmF1.4 Contemporary lenses in Sony E-mount or MicroFourThirds then these can be converted by Sigma once the L mount versions are in production.

-- hide signature --

Photography is truth
and Cinema is truth twenty-four times per second /JLG/Le Petit Soldat

karlbown Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: APS-C lenses (AF) by focal length for Leica CL/TL

7artisans 55mm f/1.4 is a manual L mount APS-C lens if that counts for this list?

karlbown's gear list:karlbown's gear list
Sony a7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Leica T Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +2 more
Strangefinder
OP Strangefinder Regular Member • Posts: 258

karlbown wrote:

7artisans 55mm f/1.4 is a manual L mount APS-C lens if that counts for this list?

Thanks, Karl.   The list above only has first-party lenses, but feel free to compile any third-party lenses   I understand that there are quite a few via 7Artisans, Kipon and Meyer-Optik; perhaps others.

-- hide signature --

Photography is truth

Strangefinder's gear list:Strangefinder's gear list
Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
jz1776 Forum Member • Posts: 72

Thank-you for taking the time to put this together.  It'll help to plan my future lens purchases.    Joe

jz1776's gear list:jz1776's gear list
Nikon D3400 +1 more
karlbown Junior Member • Posts: 32

Yes it’s going to be a very useful resource. I’ll look out for more APS-C L mount lenses and post here if I see any

karlbown's gear list:karlbown's gear list
Sony a7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Leica T Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +2 more
Jason L. Myers Regular Member • Posts: 120

I hope that Sigma and Leica, and perhaps even Panasonic introduce APS-C L mount lenses (i.e. not full-frame).  Most of these full frame L mount lenses are huge, and defeat the purpose of a compact body like the CL (or TL).

I don't need tiny Leica M-sized lenses, but I'd love to see additional L-mount primes from the 3 partners that are sized like the TL 23mm.   Those Art lenses may be great, but I want lenses with 52mm filter threads (or at worst 62mm).

Strangefinder

Jason L. Myers wrote:

I hope that Sigma and Leica, and perhaps even Panasonic introduce APS-C L mount lenses (i.e. not full-frame). Most of these full frame L mount lenses are huge, and defeat the purpose of a compact body like the CL (or TL).

I don't need tiny Leica M-sized lenses, but I'd love to see additional L-mount primes from the 3 partners that are sized like the TL 23mm. Those Art lenses may be great, but I want lenses with 52mm filter threads (or at worst 62mm).

I agree.

Sigma stated that they will begin production later this year of an entirely new short-flange lens line. Given that the ART/Sports lines have emphasised speed already, smaller lenses may be viewed as a suitable complement.

Yamaki-san also stated that wide-angle lenses are more likely to be able to be constructed smaller for the same performance with short-flange systems. This provides the choice of maintaining the size, yet exceeding present limits of wide-angle performance, or of becoming more compact at no expense to performance.

Don't forget that Sigma's existing DC DN Contemporary trio releases in L mount in 2020 Q1, and two of them (30mmF1.4, 56mmF1.4) are quite compact.

I doubt that Panasonic will be quite as prolific and cheap-and-cheerful with their L mount lenses, though hopefully there'll be some pancakes and slow-yet-high-quality lenses.

The Leica 18mm and 23mm are very appealling. Actually, I almost bought the Leica T + 23mm at one point, yet bought into Sigma Foveon instead, so the fact that the two systems are converging feels very fortunate.

The 23mm complements the 16/30/56mmF1.4, and could also be accompanied by the full-frame 75mm or 90mm Summicron-SL (~700g) for those with the means (or the 70mmF2.8 Macro @515g+ for a lower budget.)

-- hide signature --

Photography is truth

Strangefinder

jz1776 wrote:

Thank-you for taking the time to put this together. It'll help to plan my future lens purchases. Joe

You're welcome

karlbown wrote:

Yes it’s going to be a very useful resource. I’ll look out for more APS-C L mount lenses and post here if I see any

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Photography is truth

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads