Canon's own presentation of Corporate strategy
 jpzundel's gear list:jpzundel's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 29,292
Point?

what’s your point?

jay-A Regular Member • Posts: 318
Re: Point?

the point is that someone should teach them how to do more esthetically appealing  slides I guess.

Kirk Northrop
Kirk Northrop Junior Member • Posts: 27

RedFox88 wrote:

what’s your point?

I suspect at least part of the point is that those of you wanting two high end R models are likely to be disappointed.

Kirk Northrop's gear list:Kirk Northrop's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
IR1234 Senior Member • Posts: 1,520
Re: Canon's own presentation of Corporate strategy

This is a sales presentation, front line guys to the focus of the various products, not really an internal document about the future that no one doesnt already know.

IR1234's gear list:IR1234's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 550D +12 more
1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,065

this chart doesn't say anything about future roadmap of DSLR/RP cameras, we all already know that

-- hide signature --

we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively.

OP jpzundel Regular Member • Posts: 151

Just sharing data directly from Canon including  a link to whole presentations, even if it is just what they want us to know/believe.

jpzundel's gear list:jpzundel's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1
MatsP
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 2,568

jpzundel wrote:

Just sharing data directly from Canon including a link to whole presentations, even if it is just what they want us to know/believe.

It's interesting how people at Canon look upon the market, dividing it into three categories and where they place their models, knowing for instance that many professional photographers use the "advanced amateur camera" 5DIV.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
lawny13 Senior Member • Posts: 1,642

Kirk Northrop wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

what’s your point?

I suspect at least part of the point is that those of you wanting two high end R models are likely to be disappointed.

How's so? This slide says nothing really. Except perhaps what they currently have. 
I say this because it is unlikely that they will never replace the 7DII with something better in terms of better DR sensor. So this is no road map.

RLight Senior Member • Posts: 1,144

They are acknowledging the lack of a flagship R and hinting one is coming. They've said this before though, nothing new.

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +3 more
justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 8,261

IR1234 wrote: This is a sales presentation,...

No it isn't. This is a document from a Corporate Strategy Conference.

But you are right, in that this document has nothing to do with what specific products will be available in the future. This is a publicly available document, so they are not about to give away any secrets.

https://global.canon/en/ir/library/results.html#event2019

To me, the point of the slide is official confirmation that they are concentrating their managerial resources on mirrorless. DSLR development is going to get short shrift.

Their medium term plan is to expand their imaging division in areas like automotive and industrial. They already have a division that sells industrial camera sensors.

rhone Contributing Member • Posts: 624

justmeMN wrote:

To me, the point of the slide is official confirmation that they are concentrating their managerial resources on mirrorless. DSLR development is going to get short shrift.

Yeah, this is how I interpreted that part, too. But it makes sense. At some point we'll look back and see that mirrorless to DSLR will be what DSLR was to film, like it or not (and yes I realize that's not some major revelation, obviously), so of course they are going to prioritize accordingly.

rhone's gear list:rhone's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200 F4 II +1 more

rhone wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

Yeah, this is how I interpreted that part, too. But it makes sense. At some point we'll look back and see that mirrorless to DSLR will be what DSLR was to film, like it or not (and yes I realize that's not some major revelation, obviously), so of course they are going to prioritize accordingly.

i disagree, SLR to DSLR was a leap--the format completely changed, nothing in common between the 2. however, both DSLR and ML cameras have a lot in common, both are digital format except for some mechanical and size differences, IMO.

-- hide signature --

Riku Contributing Member • Posts: 735

MatsP wrote:

It's interesting how people at Canon look upon the market, dividing it into three categories and where they place their models, knowing for instance that many professional photographers use the "advanced amateur camera" 5DIV.

The 5d series should obviously belong to the professional group of cameras. It's expensive, large, rugged, has good weather sealing and so on. As you say it's widely used by professionals. Nikon UK lists not only the D5 and the D800 series as pro but also the D750, D500 and the Df.

-- hide signature --

Riku

Riku wrote:

MatsP wrote:

The 5d series should obviously belong to the professional group of cameras. It's expensive, large, rugged, has good weather sealing and so on. As you say it's widely used by professionals. Nikon UK lists not only the D5 and the D800 series as pro but also the D750, D500 and the Df.

depends on what your definition of professional is! a guy that goes on an assignment to amazon jungle, deserts of north africa, or world sporting event, is not going to take a 5D4 along with him/her but for a wedding or corporate party photography, a 5D4 will be enough for the job! so it is hard to generalize strict usage of 1D or 5D type by professionals.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads