Nikon 85mm 1.4g

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
stimmer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,201
Nikon 85mm 1.4g

So is this a good lens or not?  I’ve just purchased it to use on my Z6. I’ve seen good reviews and such but then I read a lot of mixed things.  I need a good reliable portrait lens and since they don’t have a good one get for the z mount this is where I chose to go.  I initially had the 1.8 but after using it I felt I needed to go for the more expensive model for the bokeh/speed and rendering.

The unknown for me is how it performs on the Z6.  Hopefully well. Thanks.

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ray Ritchie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,160
Re: Nikon 85mm 1.4g

I have the Z7, not the Z6, but I have been using this lens successfully for portrait work. One sample below:

Other examples from that particular shoot are on my Flickr page in the album "Alli and Eduardo."

-- hide signature --
 Ray Ritchie's gear list:Ray Ritchie's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
OP stimmer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,201

Excellent.  How is the focusing and are you pretty happy with it?

Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,777
That's cheating

Ray Ritchie wrote:

I have the Z7, not the Z6, but I have been using this lens successfully for portrait work. One sample below:

Other examples from that particular shoot are on my Flickr page in the album "Alli and Eduardo."

You've eliminated all evidence of CA.

That's one area where both of the Nikon G 85's suffer, compared to more modern designs such as the Sigma 85 Art and Zeiss Milvus 85/1.4.

For example, in night cityscapes at wide aperture, there is significant purple fringing around lights (the 1.4G is a little better than the 1.8G here).

At about f/2, the 1.8G is a little sharper than the 1.4G, but in the f/4 to f/5.6 range, the 1.4G still holds its own for sharpness against the competition.  They're still excellent stopped down, but at wide apertures you don't want any high-contrast edges in your scene.

I tried using the 1.8G on my Nikon 1 V3 to photograph a skating show a few years ago, and the result was a mess.  The 1.4G would probably have done a little better, but it won't completely eliminate these issues:

Passionate Purple courtesy of the 85/1.8G (85/1.4G has same issue at wide aperture, just a bit less)

-- hide signature --

Source credit: Prov 2:6
- Marianne

Peter Guma
Peter Guma Regular Member • Posts: 245

the 85 1.4g is well respected portrait gem. it has a name "cream machine"

i have used it for portraits on d750 and on z6 it is working even better, as you can focus where you want on the screen and not rely on outer focus points or focus recompose on the dslr.

be noted that this is a portrait lens...its AF may not be good enough for fast action or moving subjects...

-- hide signature --

Signature

Peter Guma's gear list:Peter Guma's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +2 more
akul60 Regular Member • Posts: 135

I somehow thought the nickname was for the older sibling, 85 1.4D ?

Received it.

Nicely built. Focusing better to me than the 1.8.  Pretty good in low light. Took some snaps of my dog to check it out.  Sharpness seems just fine. Will try it more tomorrow with a photo shoot.

Peter Guma
Peter Guma Regular Member • Posts: 245

akul60 wrote:

i saw lot of titles on the net, where it is linked as well for the 1.4g...

no matter, this lens has wonderful rendering

-- hide signature --

Signature

Peter Guma's gear list:Peter Guma's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +2 more
Re: That's cheating

Hardly - that was simply the version the couple asked for. But had you gone to my Flickr page as suggested, you would have found the color version of the same shot:

I see a touch of green fringing where his sweater stands against the green background, but certainly not a "mess." My personal feeling is that the 1.4G has a little nicer OOF rendering than the examples I see from the 1.8G, but I don't have first-hand experience using both.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D800 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more

The focusing on the Z7 seems fine, except for the fact that DOF at f/1.4 is so shallow that any little movement on the part of the subject or re-framing after focus on my part runs the risk of have the eyes out of focus in a head and shoulders portrait.

-- hide signature --
IainD Senior Member • Posts: 2,165

akul60 wrote:

I think you are correct, but the newer 85 1.4G is also referred to this way. I liked my 85 1.4G and used it a bit until I got the 105 f1.4.

The 85 is still excellent but the 105 is nicer for my needs.

Iain

I wanted the 105 but it just was too much moola after everything I’ve had to purchase to get into the system. Maybe down the road.

IainD Senior Member • Posts: 2,165

stimmer wrote:

I wanted the 105 but it just was too much moola after everything I’ve had to purchase to get into the system. Maybe down the road.

Agreed. Very expensive and at the end of the day, the 85 is very good... so much so that it is really good enough for most purposes. I always hope a new lens or body will transform my work- it rarely does!!:-D

I

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads