Rokinon 14mm f2.8 on Nikon Z6

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Skramshots
Skramshots Regular Member • Posts: 105
Rokinon 14mm f2.8 on Nikon Z6

I am looking for a good ultra wide angle lens for both astro and landscape and this lens has come up in reviews a few times as a great option for FF cameras.

I am wondering if anyone has used this with the Z6 and how they found it.

I am aware that its a manual focus lens and that it cannot take filters.

Skramshots's gear list:Skramshots's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
z2122
z2122 Contributing Member • Posts: 885
Re: Rokinon 14mm f2.8 on Nikon Z6

Skramshots wrote:

I am looking for a good ultra wide angle lens for both astro and landscape and this lens has come up in reviews a few times as a great option for FF cameras.

I bought it a few weeks ago to use it on my Z6. It works goid and the focus peaking of the Z6 is helpful. The 14 f2.8 has a very strange  disortion . When you do architecture photography you will notice that because horizontal lines are like a wave. This can be corrected if you turn on lens correction with the embedded profile in LR.  If you shoot landscape you will not notice the distortion at all.

IQ wise the kens is very sharp and I like it because it is light, good IQ and the price is very good ( got it for 250,- euro new on amazon)

-- hide signature --

https://www.ppetschauer.com/
catch the light - explore emotions

z2122's gear list:z2122's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
Skramshots
OP Skramshots Regular Member • Posts: 105

Thanks a lot.

Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR
walts photo
walts photo Junior Member • Posts: 33

We might need to be more specific about the model.  My Samyang 14 2.8 makes the Z7 go nuts.  It's unusable in any mode.

My specific model is Samyang 1:2.8 14mm ED AS IF UMC

(Rokinon is made by Samyang,  just Anglicized for westerner's benefit)

TNJim
TNJim New Member • Posts: 11

walts photo wrote:

We might need to be more specific about the model. My Samyang 14 2.8 makes the Z7 go nuts. It's unusable in any mode.

My specific model is Samyang 1:2.8 14mm ED AS IF UMC

(Rokinon is made by Samyang, just Anglicized for westerner's benefit)

I had the same issues with my Z7 and the Samyang/Rokinon 24mm f/1.4. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to use it at all and it's one of my favorite astro lenses. Then I found this thread:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4345195#forum-post-62000852

One of the people posting in the thread had this solution:

"If they have aperture rings, you can "dechip" the lens with a piece of masking tape over the pins. Actually just covering the first (power) pin should work. It'll be a completely dumb lens at that point (use non-CPU menu to get IBIS tuned) but that's fine. I have my chipped Voigtlander 180/4 disabled like that right now, since the chipping is somehow interfering with IBIS."

This has worked perfectly for me. I'm not sure if the 14mm works the same as the 24mm,  but it's worth a small piece of gaffers tape to give it a test.

As the person states, it does become a dumb lens at that point, but I had no issues manually setting the aperture ring to the desired aperture instead of setting it at f/22 and doing it through the camera.

TNJim's gear list:TNJim's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z7 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
rick colman Regular Member • Posts: 100

So, I have been using the "new and improved" Rokinon 14/2.4 SP or XP lens with the standard adapter on my Z6. It has worked out just fine - no problems at all.

Now, this lens costs 2-3X more than the venerable 14/2.8 but I got:

* no QA problems, in that the first copy purchased seemed to have no defects

* "mustache distortion" of the original was reduced or gone.

*  physical build much much more rugged

* worked fine with the F to Z mount adapter, no internal scotch tape alignments

Recommended so far ...

R. Colman

rick colman's gear list:rick colman's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
Skramshots

Is this still a manual focus lens and how much is it now

EvPa Regular Member • Posts: 129

Skramshots wrote:

Is this still a manual focus lens and how much is it now

Yes, the 14mm f/2.4 XP is a MF lens, the F-mount version is around $700.

Samyang also has another AF 14mm f/2.8 for F-Mount (~$600).

EvPa's gear list:EvPa's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon D3100 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +5 more
Jonathan F/2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,197

Has anyone tried the Sam/Rok 14mm 2.8 AF version on the FTZ? I literally can't find any decent reviews that show the lens on a Nikon body.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1434341-REG/samyang_syio14af_n_af_14mm_f_2_8_lens.html?sts=pi

fabregaszy
fabregaszy New Member • Posts: 15

rick colman wrote:

So, I have been using the "new and improved" Rokinon 14/2.4 SP or XP lens with the standard adapter on my Z6. It has worked out just fine - no problems at all.

Now, this lens costs 2-3X more than the venerable 14/2.8 but I got:

* no QA problems, in that the first copy purchased seemed to have no defects

* "mustache distortion" of the original was reduced or gone.

* physical build much much more rugged

* worked fine with the F to Z mount adapter, no internal scotch tape alignments

Recommended so far ...

R. Colman

Thanks Rick, I'm just looking for this kind of confirmation.

The electric aperture works fine, right?

Thanks

fabregaszy's gear list:fabregaszy's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
djrocks66
djrocks66 Senior Member • Posts: 1,335

I use the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens For Canon EF with a cheap Canon EF to Z adapter and it works great. It is easy to focus with focus peaking and I use it for landscapes so I mostly stop it down and shoot at infinity so no big deal. It is a good lens for the money.

djrocks66's gear list:djrocks66's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T100 Nikon D500 Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +16 more
ndavalos New Member • Posts: 1

I am looking for the same info, did you find out if it works with the z6?

walts photo
walts photo Junior Member • Posts: 33

So, a couple of Samyang/Rokinon lenses, say 14 and 24 mm costing $700 each is more than the price of a single 14-30 f4 Z lens.   If you don't need f/2.8, just get the Z lens.

Jonathan F/2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,197

ndavalos wrote:

Never did, I figure I'll just get the 14-30mm f4 S when it gets released and I can find a copy used!

Skramshots

ndavalos wrote:

Not really. Mixed reports

Colion_C New Member • Posts: 6

I tried my Samyang 14mm ED AS IF UMC with the nikon z6 and it worked flawlessly, no issue. I join a picture of the lens, it's not the XP (or premium) option nor the AF version so fully manual but it doesn't matter at this wide focal length (and with manual focus abilities of the Z6)

djrocks66
djrocks66 Senior Member • Posts: 1,335
Look at my other reply : N/T

Skramshots wrote:

djrocks66's gear list:djrocks66's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T100 Nikon D500 Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +16 more
macmaven Contributing Member • Posts: 949
My Bower 14mm f2.8 on Nikon Z7 works

I have a third variant of the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm 2.8 chipped lens called Bower.

I bought it a couple of years for $259 at B&H.

It works fine with my Z7 and firmware 1.02.

-macmaven

Bill Heiser
Bill Heiser Regular Member • Posts: 415

I have this one, and with some very limited testing it seems to function properly on my Z6. Unfortunately, while it’s very sharp in the center, my copy is very soft in the corners, especially on one side (so much so that I consider it unusable (for landscape) on the D850, though it was ok on the D800E). I’m still evaluating that aspect on the Z6.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769555-REG/Rokinon_FE14MAF_N_14mm_Ultra_Wide_Angle_f_2_8.html

Here’s what it looks like ... imported/saved on an iPad Pro, and LR Mobile doesn’t have a lens profile to adjust for the distortion. The deck railing is straight in real life...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads