Peak Design Pouches for M43?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
dgoakill
dgoakill Forum Member • Posts: 62
Peak Design Pouches for M43?

Just picked up a GX9 for everyday carry instead of lugging my 5D around. But the next step is something to put it in. Not looking to carry all my gear and don't really have any intentions of buying a ton of lenses. Most likely will keep the kit 12-60 lens and the 20mm 1.7.

Wondering if anyone has been able to shove the Gx9 or GX80/85 and kit lens into a large Range Pouch by peak design?

Really just looking for something to carry the camera with lens attached and nothing else. open to other options as well. such as the pouches by lowpro, the dashpoints.

thanks!

-- hide signature --
 dgoakill's gear list:dgoakill's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JosephScha Veteran Member • Posts: 5,860
Re: Peak Design Pouches for M43?

I think that might be a little small for a camera + lens, but the OMD series (smaller than G9) might just fit.  If you're in NY you should drop in to B&H, they have them in the store.

If you're not in NY can don't want to risk buying something too small, there are many camera bags that look just like that but ARE meant to hold a camera + lens.   For example:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1042701-REG/lowepro_lp36703_toploader_zoom_50_aw.html

-- hide signature --

js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II +5 more
peppermonkey Veteran Member • Posts: 4,916
GX9 not G9

JosephScha wrote:

I think that might be a little small for a camera + lens, but the OMD series (smaller than G9) might just fit. If you're in NY you should drop in to B&H, they have them in the store.

If you're not in NY can don't want to risk buying something too small, there are many camera bags that look just like that but ARE meant to hold a camera + lens. For example:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1042701-REG/lowepro_lp36703_toploader_zoom_50_aw.html

OP was taking about the GX9, not the G9.

-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Ricohflex VII, Bessa R, Bessa L, Zorky 4, Fed 2, Konica Big Mini, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2457111090_00eafbf8a4_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Sigma DP2 Sony RX100 II Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
dgoakill
OP dgoakill Forum Member • Posts: 62

Thanks for the options! I think that bag is a little big for what I'm looking for. The GX9 is pocketable (almost) with a pancake lens. but not with the kit zoom.

I agree, B+H is awesome for checking out bags. I just picked up a tenba BYOB insert for my 5d so I could bring it in my work bag. I  couldn't decide which size fit, so the guy helping me by grabbed everything I wanted to put in it from the behind the counter, 5d, 24-70 etc. and put it all in the bag to see if it would all fit. very cool!

-- hide signature --

http://davidoakill.com
Insta @davidoakill

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +2 more
thinkinginimages
thinkinginimages Contributing Member • Posts: 747

dgoakill wrote:

Just picked up a GX9 for everyday carry instead of lugging my 5D around. But the next step is something to put it in. Not looking to carry all my gear and don't really have any intentions of buying a ton of lenses. Most likely will keep the kit 12-60 lens and the 20mm 1.7.

Wondering if anyone has been able to shove the Gx9 or GX80/85 and kit lens into a large Range Pouch by peak design?

Really just looking for something to carry the camera with lens attached and nothing else. open to other options as well. such as the pouches by lowpro, the dashpoints.

thanks!

Maybe this helps?

LARGE

Holds 9.3” max height, 4.6” max diameter. Fits telephoto lenses, or 2 mid-sized lenses. (ex 70-200mm ƒ2.8)

The Large pouch is also the ideal size for carrying a DJI Mavic drone.

thinkinginimages's gear list:thinkinginimages's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
EGuitarStar
EGuitarStar Regular Member • Posts: 125

I have a GX80/GX85 with the 12-32mm kit lens which I am able to place into a small pouch.

I am using the Amazon Basic lens pouches.

-- hide signature --
 EGuitarStar's gear list:EGuitarStar's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Fujifilm XP130 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +3 more
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 6,380

I wouldn't use one of the range/lens pouches for a body + lens because the shape is pretty awkward and the divider wouldn't necessarily work well unless you intend to always stack the pancake atop the body. If you're only carrying the kit lens it could work but it's still an odd fit IMO. I love their Slings but even the 5L is more than you need...

The Field Pouch would work with a pancake but not with the kit lens... Unless you grabbed the pancake 12-32mm as your new kit lens heh.

When I just wanna grab my OM-D E-M5 II (slightly bigger than the GX9 cause of the EVF hump) or GX850 (smaller) plus a couple small lenses I just use a waist/fanny pack. Quiksilver makes some nice ones, the sorta U shape of the Lone Walker fits a kit lens like the 12-60 pretty well. Sometimes I'll just shove an extra lens in there in an Optech neoprene pouch.

If I wanna carry two extra lenses what I'll do is wrap them end to end (or even use a double cap, or two rear caps glued together) in a Domke wrap, like a burrito. Put that in the bottom of my waist pack and the camera atop it. O'Neill and Dakine also make some nice waist packs like the ones I'm alluding to, I almost always wear them cross body over the shoulder.

https://www.amazon.com/Quiksilver-Walker-Waist-Fanny-Accessory/dp/B01N1PK8C6/

https://www.amazon.com/Quiksilver-Mens-Walker-Fanny-Waist/dp/B077SP4YYG/

The Quiksilver Jungler is smaller, it's actually perfect for my GX850 because it has two inner mesh pockets that are juuust big enough for a small prime (12/2, 42.5/1.7, etc.), I've not seen many bags this size with dividers or expanding pockets like that which can be worn like a sling rather than a loose shoulder bag. I'm not sure if the GX8 would fit well in the Jungler tho, probably with the pancake on.

Edit: I might be understanding the size of the 12-60 a bit too, it's pretty close to the 12-35 no? The 5L Sling would still be big unless you wanna carry something else in it (other than a pancake). Would be the right fit the second you wanna carry just one more similarly sized lens tho (or a couple smaller primes).

Edit #2: Camslimger and Pacsafe might have some stuff worth with a look as well... I'm happy with my worn-as-sling waist packs, people use them for wallets and phones here so they're discrete... It's hard to find useful camera bags this small that aren't a blocky gear bag that looks as much or shoulder bags ya wear more loosely. There's a few of those in really tiny sizes tho.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic GX850 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +29 more
dgoakill

Impulses wrote:

I wouldn't use one of the range/lens pouches for a body + lens because the shape is pretty awkward and the divider wouldn't necessarily work well unless you intend to always stack the pancake atop the body. If you're only carrying the kit lens it could work but it's still an odd fit IMO. I love their Slings but even the 5L is more than you need...

The Field Pouch would work with a pancake but not with the kit lens... Unless you grabbed the pancake 12-32mm as your new kit lens heh.

When I just wanna grab my OM-D E-M5 II (slightly bigger than the GX9 cause of the EVF hump) or GX850 (smaller) plus a couple small lenses I just use a waist/fanny pack. Quiksilver makes some nice ones, the sorta U shape of the Lone Walker fits a kit lens like the 12-60 pretty well. Sometimes I'll just shove an extra lens in there in an Optech neoprene pouch.

If I wanna carry two extra lenses what I'll do is wrap them end to end (or even use a double cap, or two rear caps glued together) in a Domke wrap, like a burrito. Put that in the bottom of my waist pack and the camera atop it. O'Neill and Dakine also make some nice waist packs like the ones I'm alluding to, I almost always wear them cross body over the shoulder.

https://www.amazon.com/Quiksilver-Walker-Waist-Fanny-Accessory/dp/B01N1PK8C6/

https://www.amazon.com/Quiksilver-Mens-Walker-Fanny-Waist/dp/B077SP4YYG/

The Quiksilver Jungler is smaller, it's actually perfect for my GX850 because it has two inner mesh pockets that are juuust big enough for a small prime (12/2, 42.5/1.7, etc.), I've not seen many bags this size with dividers or expanding pockets like that which can be worn like a sling rather than a loose shoulder bag. I'm not sure if the GX8 would fit well in the Jungler tho, probably with the pancake on.

Edit: I might be understanding the size of the 12-60 a bit too, it's pretty close to the 12-35 no? The 5L Sling would still be big unless you wanna carry something else in it (other than a pancake). Would be the right fit the second you wanna carry just one more similarly sized lens tho (or a couple smaller primes).

Edit #2: Camslimger and Pacsafe might have some stuff worth with a look as well... I'm happy with my worn-as-sling waist packs, people use them for wallets and phones here so they're discrete... It's hard to find useful camera bags this small that aren't a blocky gear bag that looks as much or shoulder bags ya wear more loosely. There's a few of those in really tiny sizes tho.

Thanks for the suggestions with the waist packs. I found a video on youtube where a guy fits an oly pen with a 12-35 or there abouts into a lowpro dashpoint. also might look into the skin pouches from think tank, they are similar to what you describe with the waist pack bags.

-- hide signature --

Insta @davidoakill

The velcro flap on those ThinkTank pouches rather than the zipper on most of the other options might be handy, depending on how you're gonna use it and wear it...

When I wear a larger sling (like Peak's or the Thinktank Turnstyle) having the zipper open after sliding it forward doesn't worry me, but with the smaller waist packs I tend to open/close it quicker so nothing jumps out... The deeper U shape of the Lone Walker helps some with that too vs some of the others I've tried.

I thought I was gonna prefer using a wrist strap with this kinda small bag, and sometimes I do, but sometimes I prefer a sling strap (Peak Leash) so I can leave it out hanging near the bag. Really depends on what I'll be shooting. I end up using my wrist straps more with the larger bags, specially when carrying both bodies.

Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic GX850 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +29 more
dgoakill

Impulses wrote:

The velcro flap on those ThinkTank pouches rather than the zipper on most of the other options might be handy, depending on how you're gonna use it and wear it...

When I wear a larger sling (like Peak's or the Thinktank Turnstyle) having the zipper open after sliding it forward doesn't worry me, but with the smaller waist packs I tend to open/close it quicker so nothing jumps out... The deeper U shape of the Lone Walker helps some with that too vs some of the others I've tried.

I thought I was gonna prefer using a wrist strap with this kinda small bag, and sometimes I do, but sometimes I prefer a sling strap (Peak Leash) so I can leave it out hanging near the bag. Really depends on what I'll be shooting. I end up using my wrist straps more with the larger bags, specially when carrying both bodies.

Interesting, I just got the peak design wrist strap for the gx9. I'm very concerned I will drop this with the front heavy lens. I have the slide for my 5d, but I've read a few posts where people preferred the smaller (thinner) strap from peak design for m43 sized bodies and for use with their pouches.

-- hide signature --

Insta @davidoakill

dgoakill wrote:

Impulses wrote:

Interesting, I just got the peak design wrist strap for the gx9. I'm very concerned I will drop this with the front heavy lens. I have the slide for my 5d, but I've read a few posts where people preferred the smaller (thinner) strap from peak design for m43 sized bodies and for use with their pouches.

I was actually in the original Kickstart for Slide, but it's always seemed bulky to me for M4/3 gear... Those big handles have always worried me too, specially cramming a camera in a tight bag. I gifted it away to family.

Maybe with larger lenses it carries the weight better but eh, PL8-18 or 17/1.2 is about as large as I usually go. I kept using an Artisan & Artist ACAM E-25 instead of Slide until they updated Leash last year (or was it late 2017?), I really like the new slimmer adjustment system on that one (and the new color choice). It's all I use now when I wanna opt for a sling strap.

I do have the Cuff as well, the more recent version... I liked that update too, before it I preferred a Joby strap with a similar self cinch adjuster, or some other braided cord or leather wrist straps I have... The new Cuff is nice tho. Their anchor system makes it easy to switch back and forth anyway so sometimes I just throw both in the bag heh.

If you leave the Cuff's metal cinch loose it should auto tighten even in case of a drop... It's a nice option, I don't use it much because if I'm focusing on shooting a lot I'm using both hands, and if not I tend to lean towards Leash so I can pick it up and let it hang on the fly without pulling it in and out of the bag over and over.

rsmithgi Senior Member • Posts: 2,270

dgoakill wrote:

thanks!

Have you considered the field pouch instead of a range pouch? I think the dimensions might fit the camera & lens combo better. I have one and it is a versatile little bag.

rsmithgi's gear list:rsmithgi's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +6 more
outlierrn Regular Member • Posts: 125

I don't know about the 12-60mm, but it handles a gx85 with a 20mm and a 45-150mm with enough room for some DIY padding.

Yeah, that's the field pouch, BTW.

dgoakill

outlierrn wrote:

Thank you! I was looking at that but it was hard to tell if it would fit. The photos really help! going to try my local shop this weekend, they carry a decent selection of bags.

-- hide signature --

Insta @davidoakill

dgoakill wrote:

outlierrn wrote:

Thank you! I was looking at that but it was hard to tell if it would fit. The photos really help! going to try my local shop this weekend, they carry a decent selection of bags.

Glad to help, FWIW, I didn't buy that pouch for the camera, I already had it, and I wouldn't want to carry those around together without some padding.  I think it's meant more as an accessory bag and doesn't have any padding.

Jason Contributing Member • Posts: 518

outlierrn wrote:

dgoakill wrote:

outlierrn wrote:

Glad to help, FWIW, I didn't buy that pouch for the camera, I already had it, and I wouldn't want to carry those around together without some padding. I think it's meant more as an accessory bag and doesn't have any padding.

I know this thread is a little old, but hopefully it's not too old. I'm considering buying the field pouch to carry my E-M10ii with a mounted 20mm and maybe another prime. From the photos and videos I've seen, it looks like I could put the camera and 20mm in one of the elastic pockets and the extra prime in the other with a little extra room for batteries etc. Is that true?

edit: I'm not overly concerned about padding or protection--just need a small, efficient means of carrying some of my crap around when I'm out, and I already have the PD strap, etc.

Jason's gear list:Jason's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ
Wildalaskaken
Wildalaskaken Contributing Member • Posts: 564

Jason wrote:

outlierrn wrote:

dgoakill wrote:

outlierrn wrote:

Glad to help, FWIW, I didn't buy that pouch for the camera, I already had it, and I wouldn't want to carry those around together without some padding. I think it's meant more as an accessory bag and doesn't have any padding.

I know this thread is a little old, but hopefully it's not too old. I'm considering buying the field pouch to carry my E-M10ii with a mounted 20mm and maybe another prime. From the photos and videos I've seen, it looks like I could put the camera and 20mm in one of the elastic pockets and the extra prime in the other with a little extra room for batteries etc. Is that true?

edit: I'm not overly concerned about padding or protection--just need a small, efficient means of carrying some of my crap around when I'm out, and I already have the PD strap, etc.

I dont do photography pouches or dedicated camera bags.  I use Osprey?Mountainsmith stuff. This is my daily carry in Bangkok, camera or not.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/daylite-sling-DAYLTSLNG.html

Yesterday I had my G85 with the 45-200 II in there, plus two bandanas, sunglasses case, glasses case, bong and weed, lighter, keys, wallet, two cell phones, cell phone battery, plastic bag (for rain) and a souvenir tshirt.

One of the most comfy ways to carry a camera. I daresay If I left out the T-shirt and was creative, I could fit another small lens in there. I carry mine slung in front or under my arm most of the time.

I think PD makes great stuff (I use their straps and attachers as well as the clip) but their bags and systems are overly heavy and impractical for use other than in and out of a car or to impress folks in the know.

Wildalaskaken's gear list:Wildalaskaken's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Panasonic 45-200mm F4-5.6 II Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4 +1 more
Jason Contributing Member • Posts: 518

Wildalaskaken wrote:

I dont do photography pouches or dedicated camera bags. I use Osprey?Mountainsmith stuff. This is my daily carry in Bangkok, camera or not.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/daylite-sling-DAYLTSLNG.html

Yesterday I had my G85 with the 45-200 II in there, plus two bandanas, sunglasses case, glasses case, bong and weed, lighter, keys, wallet, two cell phones, cell phone battery, plastic bag (for rain) and a souvenir tshirt.

One of the most comfy ways to carry a camera. I daresay If I left out the T-shirt and was creative, I could fit another small lens in there. I carry mine slung in front or under my arm most of the time.

I think PD makes great stuff (I use their straps and attachers as well as the clip) but their bags and systems are overly heavy and impractical for use other than in and out of a car or to impress folks in the know.

That looks like a great bag, and I do really like (and own) Osprey products. The thing that appeals to me about the PD field pouch is that it is flat and compact when unloaded. That would allow me to stuff it in my luggage when traveling, and break it out as a day pack. Further, I can use my PD strap on my camera or on the bag. That makes for a really unobtrusive and versatile package. I usually pack a bare minimum when I travel, but day packs are always a challenge. Either I'm carrying around my luggage, or I have to make significant space in my luggage for a decent daypack. I'm hoping the PD field pouch is big enough to carry my basic M43 kit (or whatever crap I need to carry with me during the day), but small enough to disappear into my luggage.

I'm not stuck on Peak Design gear, but I haven't seen anything similar to the field pouch in my brief search.

Jason's gear list:Jason's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ

Should be ok, I slid my 20mm in the pocket easily.  I'm not sure the field pouch would be my first choice for carrying a camera and lens, in general, but it seems like it would fit your description of what you want just fine.

3rding Osprey gear, usually my first stop, if I'm looking for something.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads