Is it possible to return/replace X-T3 after this?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
bobotoka New Member • Posts: 6
Is it possible to return/replace X-T3 after this?

Recently i bought Fuji X-T3 camera and sold my old Canon 600D. I used that camera for 6.5 years and before selling it was in mint condition, really – like a new camera. And I really carried it everywhere.

Then I got Fuji X-T3 and after only 3 weeks of using it sync terminal button fell off from the body and camera was scratched – it looks like I was dragging it on a floor. Since I am very careful with my gear I don't know how it's possible that camera which was basically "camera of the 2018". During that time I event didn't put my camera on a tripod.

Tried to contact Fuji headquarters – no response. Contacted local Fuji distributor and they respond after 3 weeks – but I needed to contact national body for customer protection to reach to Fuji. They told me that it's my fault and they cannot do anything. They even told me that is normal for sync terminal to fell off since its removable???

If I can make any conclusion it seems like Fuji didn't do a good job in final production – they should put some kind of protective layer on silver area of a camera.

And now I don't know what to do. I like camera performance by now but I am afraid that I need to use this camera with several protective cases on it and have gloves on my hand to not get it completely scratched

Any thoughts or advices?

Thank you

Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JS Burnie
JS Burnie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,890
Re: Is it possible to return/replace X-T3 after this?

See answers to your post here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62289932

I don't know how you did it, but you did it.  No reason for Fujifilm to address this, IMO.

If you like the camera, then just use it.  Cameras are disposable in any case.  

JS Burnie's gear list:JS Burnie's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 14,028

Not sure why you think the materials used to construct a Fuji camera are any different than those of a Canon, Nikon or whatever. I shot Canon for over 40 years and Fuji since 2014 and I've seen no difference in the durability of the cameras mechanically or cosmetically. My X-T1, X-T2 and X-T20 all look like new even though they each have tens of thousands of exposures. I'm careful with my equipment and always take care when stowing it making certain camera bodies or lens barrels are not in contact with something that could mar or scratch them.

The only cosmetic issue I had was with the first Canon 7D I bought new from a local camera shop. The grip was peeling off and it was a factory fresh camera so I returned it for a new 7D.

It appears to me something unfortunate happened to your X-T3 and the top and bottom plates were scratched. Asking Fuji to fix or replace it is like asking BMW to fix or replace your new car because it got a scratch after they delivered it to you. It ain't going to happen.

Sorry but I'm baffled as to why you even posted this.

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 11,588

Why break your heart over a scratch on a tool that's meant to be used? A camera is not a show piece. Be careful of your gear, sure. It's expensive and full of computers and things that can get knocked out of whack. But there's no need to baby it. With reasonable care it will outlast your interest in it and still be working fine when it falls into the hands of bottom feeders like myself! I have several well used Fujis with more than a few scratches and am getting more than my money's worth out of them.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
ikaika777 Senior Member • Posts: 1,814

Too be fair you did scratch it you just don’t know when and how. If you put the camera in a camera bag maybe it was rubbing against something like a lens or if the bag has zippers it could have scraped the zipper when you put it in or take it out. Maybe someone in your family did it and are too scared to tell you, that is if you don’t live alone. Scratches don’t just appear for no reason. Also it’s very common to lose the sync terminal cap and you can buy new ones online from camera stores or Amazon. People are taking their Fuji’s on trips and on Safari with no scratches.

-- hide signature --

After all is said and done and your photo is hanging on the wall, no one is going to know or care what camera, lens, or what post processing you used. All they care about is if the image moves them.

ikaika777's gear list:ikaika777's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Sony RX100 V +11 more
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 13,382
Not a lot of sympathy here...

bobotoka wrote:

Recently i bought Fuji X-T3 camera and sold my old Canon 600D. I used that camera for 6.5 years and before selling it was in mint condition, really – like a new camera. And I really carried it everywhere.

Then I got Fuji X-T3 and after only 3 weeks of using it sync terminal button fell off from the body and camera was scratched – it looks like I was dragging it on a floor. Since I am very careful with my gear I don't know how it's possible that camera which was basically "camera of the 2018". During that time I event didn't put my camera on a tripod.

Tried to contact Fuji headquarters – no response. Contacted local Fuji distributor and they respond after 3 weeks – but I needed to contact national body for customer protection to reach to Fuji. They told me that it's my fault and they cannot do anything. They even told me that is normal for sync terminal to fell off since its removable???

If I can make any conclusion it seems like Fuji didn't do a good job in final production – they should put some kind of protective layer on silver area of a camera.

And now I don't know what to do. I like camera performance by now but I am afraid that I need to use this camera with several protective cases on it and have gloves on my hand to not get it completely scratched

Any thoughts or advices?

Thank you

You're not getting a lot of sympathy here, and I'm afraid you won't from me either. I take decent care of my gear and haven't experienced anything even close to what you're showing here. Damage like that doesn't just happen... it results from rough handling or other such "abuse." Given my own experience with the 3 Fuji bodies I've owned so far, I find them to be as robust as one should expect from gear such as this. However, they are not designed to be abused, and frankly, the sort of markings you've shown are signs of mishandling, whether you are willing to acknowledge it or not.

You can try returning the camera for warranty repair and you might get lucky in terms of the costs. However, under normal usage conditions, a protective case and gloves are most certainly not necessary. You might give some serious thought to how you handle and use your gear.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +2 more
dual12 Contributing Member • Posts: 801

I've had mine for far longer than you and it looks brand new.

baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 13,255
Re: Not a lot of sympathy here...

I have been using Fuji X bodies for years (2012-2019) and I had no issue about their finish

Disclaimer: I am very careful with the gear that said I intensively use it including aerial views at 100 km ph without any protection  (ultra light aircraft), BIF, trekking, wildlife, changing lens very often

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
DJ2014 Regular Member • Posts: 339

A year ago roughly I dropped my XH1 within hours of receiving it but it was clearly my fault and I paid $390 to repair the HDMI connector. I wanted to punch myself in the face which was literally the subject line of my post. And honestly I learned a lesson that for expensive gear I buy using Adorama VIP360 which covers drops etc.

Looking at the images in your other post it’s clear you did something to it accidentally etc. just own up to it and enjoy the camera. Trying to shame Fuji into repairing for free won’t work.

Canadianguy Senior Member • Posts: 2,023
Re: Looks like you used one of those Blackrapid straps...

JS Burnie wrote:

See answers to your post here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62289932

I don't know how you did it, but you did it. No reason for Fujifilm to address this, IMO.

If you like the camera, then just use it. Cameras are disposable in any case.

A little story...when I got my X-E1 many moons ago - I got one of those Blackrapid type straps. It was great, so much freedom and a tripod plate at the same time - I let that camera swing on my side and ready for use at an instance.

After 2 weeks - my camera looked exactly like yours does....I have never used another Blackrapid type strap ever again. None of my Fujifilm cameras have ever looked like that again.

From your pics - it looks like you didn't use the factory provided straps and my guess is that you used one of those Blackrapid type ones...

As for the flash sync knobs - they aren't that expensive and cheaper if you buy them in bulk...and yes - I have lost many of them. On my Nikons (when they used to use them) and Fujifilm cameras as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00J7MABOC/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 9,594
Re: Not a lot of sympathy here...

Jerry-astro wrote:

bobotoka wrote:

Any thoughts or advices?

Thank you

You're not getting a lot of sympathy here, and I'm afraid you won't from me either. I take decent care of my gear and haven't experienced anything even close to what you're showing here. Damage like that doesn't just happen... it results from rough handling or other such "abuse." Given my own experience with the 3 Fuji bodies I've owned so far, I find them to be as robust as one should expect from gear such as this. However, they are not designed to be abused, and frankly, the sort of markings you've shown are signs of mishandling, whether you are willing to acknowledge it or not.

You can try returning the camera for warranty repair and you might get lucky in terms of the costs. However, under normal usage conditions, a protective case and gloves are most certainly not necessary. You might give some serious thought to how you handle and use your gear.

It did cross your mind that he only has 3 posts? The Rebel T3i had of course a reputation for being tough as, so an alternative take would be not to be surprised that the Rebel or Kiss (my favourite!) would outclass the XT3 which I believe is made of some cheap metal?

But that aside, plastic doesn’t mark as easily as metal, as any MacBook careless student user where the same I–always–keep–my–car–keys–in–my–computer–bag would have rendered his Compaq budget laptop marked far less by his/her Mitsubishi Mirage keys.

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 14,028
Re: Looks like you used one of those Blackrapid straps...

Canadianguy wrote:

JS Burnie wrote:

See answers to your post here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62289932

I don't know how you did it, but you did it. No reason for Fujifilm to address this, IMO.

If you like the camera, then just use it. Cameras are disposable in any case.

A little story...when I got my X-E1 many moons ago - I got one of those Blackrapid type straps. It was great, so much freedom and a tripod plate at the same time - I let that camera swing on my side and ready for use at an instance.

After 2 weeks - my camera looked exactly like yours does....I have never used another Blackrapid type strap ever again. None of my Fujifilm cameras have ever looked like that again.

From your pics - it looks like you didn't use the factory provided straps and my guess is that you used one of those Blackrapid type ones...

Great point.

I use a Black Rapid shoulder strap with my X-T2/grip and 100-400 but the strap is attached to the zoom's tripod bracket. I've noticed that the design of their straps leave much to be desired regarding cosmetic damage to bodies.

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
Lance St. Paul Regular Member • Posts: 187

You weren't sure enough that you thought to ask, but really you do in fact know the answer you are just trying to avoid it, understandably.

Not returnable, not a warranty issue. Accept it & use it - that's your only realistic choice. After you've used it for a good while you'll hardly notice it, nor care about it. It won't show in your pictures....

Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Contributing Member • Posts: 594

bobotoka wrote:

They told me that it's my fault and they cannot do anything. They even told me that is normal for sync terminal to fell off since its removable???

This does seem to be normal - I have a feeling that Fuji don't do a good job of tightening the terminal in the factory.

Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30
ViMa
ViMa Senior Member • Posts: 1,349

bobotoka wrote:

Any thoughts or advices?

I'm afraid the only thought that comes to mind is that either someone in your family has been playing with it, or someone has access to wherever it is you are storing it, or you should check yourself into a sleep clinic and get checked for somnambulism.

Sure, they may not be the most rugged cameras in the world, but the condition you have shown and described does not happen just like that and on its own.

Thank you

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Vittorio

ViMa's gear list:ViMa's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR 7artisans 35mm F1.2 +2 more
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,339

I’d love to see what would happen if you tried retuning your 2 month old car to Audi because of a scuff on it, claiming their build quality isn’t up to scratch, that they should have put protective layers on the car, and it couldn’t possibly be your fault as your part ex doesn’t have a scratch on it.

My guess is it wouldn’t go very far.

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-T3 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS +4 more
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,369
It didn't scratch itself

bobotoka wrote:

Huh? I think you need to drag it over some boulders and in the dirt a little more, the wear looks too uneven and kind of fake. Make it look authentic man!

Any thoughts or advices?

Thank you

What?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62289932

It didn't scratch itself.

I'm that guy who likes to get nicks and dings on his camera. It's a tool and if it doesn't show some signs of wear, I've not been using it properly.

And are you really complaining to Fuji that the sync terminal plastic cap came off?

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Morris0
Morris0 Senior Member • Posts: 8,633
D-Nile is not just a river in Africa!

Dear Bob:

The rubber cover to the flash connector is a removable part.

This post of yours contains two of the best photos of impact damage I've ever seen.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +12 more
BobbyTee Regular Member • Posts: 129

YGBSM

stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,369
Re: D-Nile is not just a river in Africa!

Morris0 wrote:

Dear Bob:

The rubber cover to the flash connector is a removable part.

This post of yours contains two of the best photos of impact damage I've ever seen.

Morris

Damage? That's not damage, that's character.

This is a work of art:

And this is simply gorgeous:

Notice the dent and the exposed sync terminal. This is what my old camera looks like at home. Love it. It's a badge of honor.

But this...it's like camera porn:

So who's complaining about a few scratches?

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads