adjusting shutter speed

Started Mar 3, 2019 | User reviews
discomick New Member • Posts: 1
adjusting shutter speed

Hi im a bit new to this game,so be gentle lol..my grandkids bought me the Olympus 820 uz for xmas ive really taken to it ,but I read about shutter speeds but cant fathom out how to adjust them,,would appreciate any help thank you.

Olympus Stylus SP-820UZ
14 megapixels • 3 screen • 22 – 896 mm (40×)
Announced: Aug 21, 2012
discomick's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 17,391
Re: adjusting shutter speed

1st post, welcome to the forum,

I know nothing about you camera, I just clicked to see it's basic features.

Some cameras have mode dials for specific shooting modes, one of which is S mode. In S mode, you start by setting the shutter speed you want, the camera figures out the aperture and ISO to use.

Your camera does not have that feature,

It does have 'scene' modes. Camera combinations preset for various types of situations. One will be 'sports', that knows to use a faster shutter speed. IF a good amount of light, try sport scene, see what speed it uses. . The faster the speed, the more light you want/need.

There might be other scenes which use slightly faster than normal speeds, but not overly fast, I am not sure what speeds Cat or Dog scenes are setup for, maybe fast enough to avoid blur, but not too fast, thus needing a bit less light than sport's faster speed does.

here's the link to the manual

https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/sp/man_sp820uz_e.pdf

top right, down arrow, you can download it.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI Sony Xperia XZ +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads