A Translation of Kazuto Yamaki's Speech at CP+ 2019

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions
DanInJapan256 Regular Member • Posts: 101
A Translation of Kazuto Yamaki's Speech at CP+ 2019

Here's a quick translation of KY's speech at cp+.  I did not translate his speech word for word, but hopefully this will be helpful or interesting to you.

2:26 the screen reads as follows:

1) Sell a camera with a Foveon sensor in 2019 (later revised to 2020, of course).

2) Cease selling cameras with the SA mount

3) Continue selling lenses with the SA mount

4)SA/EF-L mount adapter in 2019

5)Sell L mount lenses in 2019

6) Add L mount to the list of choices to the mount conversion service

5:15 a picture of the new sensor is shown.

Mr. Yamaki then apologizes for the delay, saying that they are trying to make a great camera and that creating a full frame sensor for the first time comes with difficulties.

5:50 Mr. Yamaki talks about Foveon sensors stating:

"Our current cameras, the Quattros, use a 1:1:4 RGB sensor, but we are returning to our traditional, or rather, original 1:1:1 sensor."

He then talks about pixel pitch.  He said that he wanted to create a camera where the pixel pitch was large enough that the images could be recorded well. (paraphrased).  Shortly thereafter, he talks about spectral response.

~10:00 "Our sensors have the reputation of being able to capture images in a unique way in regards to pixel sharpness, etc.  Our cameras have a broader spectral response compared to cameras with a Bayer filter.  In cameras with a Bayer sensor, the RGB have more distinct peaks comparatively.  It is said that Foveon sensors are have worse color separation due to this.  It is true that Foveon sensors are indeed a little weaker when it comes to color separation, but this also allows for a smooth gradation of colors."

~11:00 He talks about the switch to TSI semiconductors.  He notes that the close proximity of the two companies will allow for better communication between Foveon and the foundry.

12:36 Bruce Gray from TSI Semiconductors and Shri Ramaswami from Foveon speak.

33:12  Mr. Yamaki returns and states, " We expect to be selling the MC-21 this spring.  Although we sell the MC-11 for about 37,500 yen, we are tentatively planning to release the MC-21 for SA-L at around 10,000 yen."  (currently $89.30 although, it is likely to be closer to $100)

~35:08 Release dates for the L mount lenses

35:17  Mount conversion service for SA-L mount is tentatively planned for about 10,000 yen.

That was about it.  I couldn't hear a couple small parts of the presentation. Nevertheless, I hope this was informative.

Regards,

Dan

DanInJapan256's gear list:DanInJapan256's gear list
Sigma DP2s Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony a7 Sigma sd Quattro
FDecker Senior Member • Posts: 1,684
Thank you...

...for the effort. Very helpful indeed.

dpreviewblog Regular Member • Posts: 406
Re: A Translation of Kazuto Yamaki's Speech at CP+ 2019
 dpreviewblog's gear list:dpreviewblog's gear list
Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma sd Quattro H Pentax K-1 II +7 more
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 11,667

Thank you Dan!

It's really nice to get the news that they plan to sell the MC-21 adapter for a very reasonable price. If that turns out to be true, I'll buy one ASAP, so I can use my lenses on a Panasonic S1R, when I finally get one . . . and of course, when Sigma finally makes an L-mount camera that I want. (I'm hoping Sigma will at some point make a full-frame Quattro or at least a higher resolution 1:1:1 sensor than the 20 MP per layer full-frame sensor they have announced.)

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
http://www.bigprintphotos.com

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sony a7 Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H +21 more
Toraneko Regular Member • Posts: 337

Thank you for the notification. I just watched the youtube video.

DanInJapan256 wrote:

Here's a quick translation of KY's speech at cp+. I did not translate his speech word for word, but hopefully this will be helpful or interesting to you.

1) Sell a camera with a Foveon sensor in 2019 (later revised to 2020, of course).

Mr. Yamaki then apologizes for the delay, saying that they are trying to make a great camera and that creating a full frame sensor for the first time comes with difficulties.

Yes. New full frame camera is expected to be released on 2020.

"Our current cameras, the Quattros, use a 1:1:4 RGB sensor, but we are returning to our traditional, or rather, original 1:1:1 sensor."

+1.

So it's officially confirmed.  1 : 1 : 1. Good job Sigma! This is a great news. Hope Sigma got the message from Sigma users from various forums and website.

He then talks about pixel pitch. He said that he wanted to create a camera where the pixel pitch was large enough that the images could be recorded well. (paraphrased). Shortly thereafter, he talks about spectral response.

In the presentation he gives an overview of new FF sensor.

Foveon X3 1:1:1 Technology

Sensor Size = 36mm x 24 mm

5520 x 3680 x 3 = 60.9 megapixel.

-- hide signature --

FOVEON X3® (2003-2014)
[ 1 : 1 : 1 ]

Toraneko's gear list:Toraneko's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Sigma DP2 Merrill
mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,965

Thank you. My only disappointment in his speech was that new macro lens updates for the 105 and 150 are further away than I was wanting.

saltydogstudios Regular Member • Posts: 479

DanInJapan256 wrote:

Here's a quick translation of KY's speech at cp+. I did not translate his speech word for word, but hopefully this will be helpful or interesting to you.

He then talks about pixel pitch. He said that he wanted to create a camera where the pixel pitch was large enough that the images could be recorded well. (paraphrased). Shortly thereafter, he talks about spectral response.

Thank you Dan! Really appreciate the effort.

Yes, I'm curious to hear what Yamaki-san says about pixel pitch in future interviews.

Especially with regards to the L-Mount Alliance & adapted lenses.

~10:00 "Our sensors have the reputation of being able to capture images in a unique way in regards to pixel sharpness, etc. Our cameras have a broader spectral response compared to cameras with a Bayer filter. In cameras with a Bayer sensor, the RGB have more distinct peaks comparatively. It is said that Foveon sensors are have worse color separation due to this. It is true that Foveon sensors are indeed a little weaker when it comes to color separation, but this also allows for a smooth gradation of colors."

~11:00 He talks about the switch to TSI semiconductors. He notes that the close proximity of the two companies will allow for better communication between Foveon and the foundry.

33:12 Mr. Yamaki returns and states, " We expect to be selling the MC-21 this spring. Although we sell the MC-11 for about 37,500 yen, we are tentatively planning to release the MC-21 for SA-L at around 10,000 yen." (currently $89.30 although, it is likely to be closer to $100)

35:17 Mount conversion service for SA-L mount is tentatively planned for about 10,000 yen.

That was about it. I couldn't hear a couple small parts of the presentation. Nevertheless, I hope this was informative.

Regards,

Dan

-- hide signature --
 saltydogstudios's gear list:saltydogstudios's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital III Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro +6 more
Oliver_B Contributing Member • Posts: 850

I say that's good news

Oliver_B's gear list:Oliver_B's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2s Sigma DP3 Merrill
MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,333
Interesting to consider L-Mount conversion...

I wonder if all Global Vision lenses would be able to be mount converted to L-mount... I plan to use an adaptor for a while, but after some time if I just end up using L-Mount lenses it would probably be nice to take the lenses that worked the very best and switch them to L-Mount.  If I were buying a Panasonic or Leica L-mount owner I would look seriously at buying some used Global Vision lenses and convert them...

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
rf-design
rf-design Contributing Member • Posts: 544

Scott,

I hope that the MC-21 get further FW updates. Up to now only AF-S is possible with the S1 and S1R. On the MC-11 the support is better.

"The MC-21 only allows AF-S mode to be used at present. This is likely to be a result of the existing SA and EF mount lenses being primarily designed for being focused by phase detection, whereas all the current L-mount bodies use variants of contrast-detection AF, which may lead to slower, less reliable performance."

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3970341505/hands-on-with-the-sigma-mc-21-sa-ef-to-l-mount-adapter?slide=3

Reiner

rf-design's gear list:rf-design's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 40D Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 +57 more
rf-design
rf-design Contributing Member • Posts: 544
Re: Interesting to consider L-Mount conversion...

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

I wonder if all Global Vision lenses would be able to be mount converted to L-mount... I plan to use an adaptor for a while, but after some time if I just end up using L-Mount lenses it would probably be nice to take the lenses that worked the very best and switch them to L-Mount. If I were buying a Panasonic or Leica L-mount owner I would look seriously at buying some used Global Vision lenses and convert them...

The used SA lens market is dry for about 5 months. I am still searching for recent as well as out of production lenses. Less than $100 is for an SA MC-21 makes all used FF SA lenses a target for S1/s1R users.

rf-design's gear list:rf-design's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 40D Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 +57 more
OP DanInJapan256 Regular Member • Posts: 101

Scottelly wrote:

Thank you Dan!

It's really nice to get the news that they plan to sell the MC-21 adapter for a very reasonable price. If that turns out to be true, I'll buy one ASAP, so I can use my lenses on a Panasonic S1R, when I finally get one . . . and of course, when Sigma finally makes an L-mount camera that I want. (I'm hoping Sigma will at some point make a full-frame Quattro or at least a higher resolution 1:1:1 sensor than the 20 MP per layer full-frame sensor they have announced.)

Hi Scott. I'm glad that you and others found the translation helpful.  Like you, I would be interested in a full frame quattro down the road.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy each of my Sigma cameras.  I'm sure the 1:1:1 will be great, and I am certainly thinking about buying it assuming it will not be too expensive for me.

Regards,

Dan

Strangefinder
Strangefinder Regular Member • Posts: 263

DanInJapan256 wrote:

Thank you very much, I'd watched what I could with auto-translate, and definitely missed some high points.

I've been following all this as closely as I can, and I'd not noticed anything saying it would release this year. Perhaps I just didn't pay attention because I knew I'd be unlikely to be buying this year, anyway. 2020 suits me very well, as I'm still getting the hang of SA Foveon.

I'd've been happy with Quattro as I have great faith in YK+Aizu+Foveon, however, this is definitely my preference.

I'm pleased with this scale - I think that 20mp is the sweet spot, and that the ~40mp equivalent tonal clarity will be fantastic.

~10:00 "Our sensors have the reputation of being able to capture images in a unique way in regards to pixel sharpness, etc. Our cameras have a broader spectral response compared to cameras with a Bayer filter. In cameras with a Bayer sensor, the RGB have more distinct peaks comparatively. It is said that Foveon sensors are have worse color separation due to this. It is true that Foveon sensors are indeed a little weaker when it comes to color separation, but this also allows for a smooth gradation of colors."

I love them. I love the physical sensation of my eyes shifting and recognising light in the way that I remember scenes and places. The light itself becomes a subject as well.

~11:00 He talks about the switch to TSI semiconductors. He notes that the close proximity of the two companies will allow for better communication between Foveon and the foundry.

This seems like a good idea, and shows considerable commitment. L mount Foveon shows great promise with the Alliance and these developments.

33:12 Mr. Yamaki returns and states, " We expect to be selling the MC-21 this spring. Although we sell the MC-11 for about 37,500 yen, we are tentatively planning to release the MC-21 for SA-L at around 10,000 yen." (currently $89.30 although, it is likely to be closer to $100)

Very encouraging and surprising.

35:17 Mount conversion service for SA-L mount is tentatively planned for about 10,000 yen.

Very welcome pricing, I'll convert one of my SA primes to L mount, perhaps both. I feel good about the entry cost being much lower, and that I can have a native L mount lens straight away. This means that I'll be able to afford the FF2020 Foveon sooner.

The cost of the MC-21 and a conversion is about the same as what I'd expected the adaptor itself to cost, yet it provides me with a prime in L mount straight away (I always like to have at least one native lens for a system, irrespective of how good the adaptor is.)

That was about it. I couldn't hear a couple small parts of the presentation. Nevertheless, I hope this was informative.

Regards,

Dan

-- hide signature --

Photography is truth
and Cinema is truth twenty-four times per second /JLG/Le Petit Soldat

David Mantripp Regular Member • Posts: 121

So, I predict that in approx 12 months this forum will be flooded with people extolling the virtues of the tragically abandoned 1:1:4 and saying they'll never buy this hopeless, noisy 1:1:1 sensor, what were Sigma thinking etc etc

David Mantripp's gear list:David Mantripp's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sigma dp0 Quattro Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Sigma sd Quattro H +2 more
docmaas
docmaas Veteran Member • Posts: 6,335

As the Chinese and perhaps Japanese as well say: "From this mountain that mountain looks higher."

It's human nature to look elsewhere for something better and probably the major motivator for progress for humanity though the spice of free market economics throughout history has definitely enhanced the value of those efforts.

Mike

David Mantripp wrote:

So, I predict that in approx 12 months this forum will be flooded with people extolling the virtues of the tragically abandoned 1:1:4 and saying they'll never buy this hopeless, noisy 1:1:1 sensor, what were Sigma thinking etc etc

-- hide signature --

"Dao ke dao, fei chang dao. Ming ke ming, fei chang ming" Laozi
"At every crossroads on the path that leads to the future, tradition has placed 10,000 men to guard the past."
Maurice Maeterlinck

saltydogstudios Regular Member • Posts: 479

David Mantripp wrote:

I'm calling it.

I hereby dub the FFF 1:1:1 sensor the Goldilocks sensor.

Not too crunchy. Not too "bayer smooth".

Not too low megapixel. Not too high megapixel.

Just right.

-- hide signature --
 saltydogstudios's gear list:saltydogstudios's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital III Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro +6 more
veebegin Junior Member • Posts: 49

David Mantripp wrote:

Not so Because this full-frame sensor will have 2 : 1 : 1 mode.

OP DanInJapan256 Regular Member • Posts: 101

Strangefinder wrote:

DanInJapan256 wrote:

Thank you very much, I'd watched what I could with auto-translate, and definitely missed some high points.

Hi Strangefinder.  Yes, auto-translate for whichever platform is never perfect.  Perhaps it would be more useful for languages that are related such as English<>German or something similar.  Quite often, I've found translations from English to Japanese or Chinese are more likely to be funny than accurate.  Anyways, I'm glad I could help.

I've been following all this as closely as I can, and I'd not noticed anything saying it would release this year. Perhaps I just didn't pay attention because I knew I'd be unlikely to be buying this year, anyway. 2020 suits me very well, as I'm still getting the hang of SA Foveon.

Yeah, the push back to 2020 was a little disappointing.  Honestly, I'm still ok with the quattro and my other cameras, though.  So, like you and others I'm sure, it will be easier to save up for.

I'd've been happy with Quattro as I have great faith in YK+Aizu+Foveon, however, this is definitely my preference.

I agree that a Quattro would have been great, but a 1:1:1 will be great as well. I'm pretty much ok with either architecture as long as it is done well.

I'm pleased with this scale - I think that 20mp is the sweet spot, and that the ~40mp equivalent tonal clarity will be fantastic.

I agree... now I just have to wonder if my computer monitor and tablet are up to the job that the new camera will bring.

I love them. I love the physical sensation of my eyes shifting and recognising light in the way that I remember scenes and places. The light itself becomes a subject as well.

This seems like a good idea, and shows considerable commitment. L mount Foveon shows great promise with the Alliance and these developments.

Very encouraging and surprising.

Very welcome pricing, I'll convert one of my SA primes to L mount, perhaps both. I feel good about the entry cost being much lower, and that I can have a native L mount lens straight away. This means that I'll be able to afford the FF2020 Foveon sooner.

The cost of the MC-21 and a conversion is about the same as what I'd expected the adaptor itself to cost, yet it provides me with a prime in L mount straight away (I always like to have at least one native lens for a system, irrespective of how good the adaptor is.)

Please note that he said that it was tentative, but I think it is likely.  I also think I heard him say (in a different video?) that there was going to be an increase in price for the mount conversion service due to the amount of work that goes into it.  So, if it turns out to be true, the SA>L customers are really getting a good deal here.  I didn't think to mention this in my translation, but he said that he wants to get the SA users over to L mount quickly.  Of course, getting everyone on board the L-mount train would be a priority for them which is certainly why we are likely getting such deals.

Regards,

Dan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads