Are these SX70 pictures "sharp enough"(?)..

Started Feb 27, 2019 | Photos
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
Are these SX70 pictures "sharp enough"(?)..

..well, only each person can determine for themselves, whether these SX70 pictures are "sharp enough" for their needs..

..because each camera has it's strengths & nuances..

..it's up to us to learn the camera(s) we are using..

..and try to get the most from our camera(s)..

..below are full size straight out of camera jpeg images, and not post processed..

..thanks everyone for looking..

..SX70, sooc jpeg..

..SX70, sooc jpeg..

..SX70, sooc jpeg..

..SX70, sooc jpeg..

..SX70, sooc jpeg..

..SX70, sooc jpeg..

..SX70, sooc jpeg..

..SX70, sooc jpeg..

..SX70, sooc jpeg..

..SX70, sooc jpeg..

..SX70, sooc jpeg..

..SX70, sooc jpeg..

..happy shooting everyone,

..Cheers..

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon PowerShot SX70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Avian2016 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,243
Re: Are these SX70 pictures "sharp enough"(?)..

To me these are nice, vividly looking images. A great majority of casual, holiday and travelling users would be more than happy to have and store them to bring out their memories later. I believe this is the essential purpose of this cam.

As for sharpness itself, it is different from person to person, from watcher to watcher. Different eyes percept sharpness in different ways.

We enthusiasts sometimes forget other features and components of a good image in a favour of a sharpness alone.

-- hide signature --
jshen808
OP jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067

Avian2016 wrote:

To me these are nice, vividly looking images. A great majority of casual, holiday and travelling users would be more than happy to have and store them to bring out their memories later. I believe this is the essential purpose of this cam.

As for sharpness itself, it is different from person to person, from watcher to watcher. Different eyes percept sharpness in different ways.

We enthusiasts sometimes forget other features and components of a good image in a favour of a sharpness alone.

..Thanks very much, Avian!

..yes, I completely agree that the SX70 is a wonderful camera for the casual snapshots, especially for the kind of sooc jpeg pictures that I've posted..

..but for the adventurous who goes into using raw and has a knack in post processings, who knows what fancy images can be spewed out from their SX70 or similar cameras..

..thanks for commenting, and happy shooting my friend,

..Cheers..

marksee Contributing Member • Posts: 913

Your question is posed in an interesting way. "Sharp enough"?  Define sharp enough is what my professor would have asked.  To me, yes definitely. To a wedding,  landscape or other photographer needing large detailed prints, no absolutely not.

jshen808

marksee wrote:

Your question is posed in an interesting way. "Sharp enough"? Define sharp enough is what my professor would have asked. To me, yes definitely. To a wedding, landscape or other photographer needing large detailed prints, no absolutely not.

..Thanks very much for commenting, marksee!

..yes, and I also agree.. for my casual snapshots, these are "sharp enough" for me..

..but definitely "not sharp enough" for professional work..

..thanks for sharing, and happy shooting my friend,

..Cheers..

I2K4
I2K4 Senior Member • Posts: 1,338

Agree with comments so far.  Assuming these are "out of camera" JPEGs, shot in focus with good ambient light, high speed and low ISO.  My question (mainly from pixel louping the bird feather texture) is whether there's any noise reduction applied by the camera where there really is no reason (excuse) for it.

NR smoothing is one of the innovations introduced some years ago that tends to over reach itself, instead of only usefully managing difficult light and high ISO.

I2K4's gear list:I2K4's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS +2 more
John McCormack
John McCormack Veteran Member • Posts: 6,668

Excellent set of images. The light in all is very good and that helps a lot. The light in the islands is quite special in my experience of living in Micronesia for almost five years back in the Stone Age. Even silhouettes came out nicely.

These men sailed about 200 miles to the Chuuk lagoon on this sailing canoe. Why? Because they said they ran out of cigarettes. True story.

André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 10,657

I2K4 wrote:

Agree with comments so far. Assuming these are "out of camera" JPEGs, shot in focus with good ambient light, high speed and low ISO. My question (mainly from pixel louping the bird feather texture) is whether there's any noise reduction applied by the camera where there really is no reason (excuse) for it.

NR smoothing is one of the innovations introduced some years ago that tends to over reach itself, instead of only usefully managing difficult light and high ISO.

Hi John,

Yes, for travel or casual shots, they are "sharp enough". But I fully agree with the above comment regarding noise reduction. Me too, it seems some NR is at work even at base iso (like in the bird feather). I wonder why...

Regards,

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon D3300 Nikon 1 J5 +10 more
jshen808

I2K4 wrote:

Agree with comments so far. Assuming these are "out of camera" JPEGs, shot in focus with good ambient light, high speed and low ISO. My question (mainly from pixel louping the bird feather texture) is whether there's any noise reduction applied by the camera where there really is no reason (excuse) for it.

..Thanks very much for commenting, I2K4!

..yes, these are "out of camera" jpeg pictures..

..and I had set my SX70 Sharpening to (+3), which is one notch back from the default (+4) setting..

..the reason why is because I find the Sharpening default (+4), even though produced more sharper results, but also produced some "halo" effects when pixel peeping..

..the SX70 does not have any setting controls for Noise Reduction, so this is something I cannot control..

..as I mentioned earlier in this thread, someone can go and use raw for more control and better results..

..Cheers..

jshen808

John McCormack wrote:

Excellent set of images. The light in all is very good and that helps a lot. The light in the islands is quite special in my experience of living in Micronesia for almost five years back in the Stone Age. Even silhouettes came out nicely.

These men sailed about 200 miles to the Chuuk lagoon on this sailing canoe. Why? Because they said they ran out of cigarettes. True story.

..Thanks very much, John!

..yes, the light here can be very strong and cause glares..

..this is the reason why for most of my cameras/lenses, I place and use the Hoya HD3 lens filters on them..

..great picture you've posted, and thanks for the story behind it..

..Cheers..

jshen808

André BARELIER wrote:

I2K4 wrote:

Hi John,

Yes, for travel or casual shots, they are "sharp enough". But I fully agree with the above comment regarding noise reduction. Me too, it seems some NR is at work even at base iso (like in the bird feather). I wonder why...

Regards,

..Thanks very much, André!

..unfortunately, the SX70 does not offer any controls over the levels of noise reduction..

..probably will need to use raw in order to gain more control for better results..

..Cheers..

Tom Verrinder New Member • Posts: 14

As others have said, these photographs are perfectly acceptable holiday snapshots. And as such, they are certainly sharp and detailed enough for your purposes, and you should be happy with them!

However, as a naturalist and birdwatcher I am certainly interested in the clarity and sharpness of my optics, including any cameras I might use (I am certainly not a professional photographer). And unfortunately none of these images have the detail or sharpness that I have come to expect in using the SX 50. Even when shooting RAW, both detail and sharpness are sacrificed in the SX 70 because of the increased noise and interference caused by the addition of those extra 8 million photo sites. This is neither subjective nor a matter of opinion; it is simply a reality of the trade-off the engineers at Canon had to make because of a marketing decision to increase the number of pixels on that little teeny tiny sensor to 20 million.

I now have in my possession both cameras, and will do a head-to-head comparison to prove my point in both RAW and S00C JPEG on Friday (time permitting).

jshen808

Tom Verrinder wrote:

As others have said, these photographs are perfectly acceptable holiday snapshots. And as such, they are certainly sharp and detailed enough for your purposes, and you should be happy with them!

However, as a naturalist and birdwatcher I am certainly interested in the clarity and sharpness of my optics, including any cameras I might use (I am certainly not a professional photographer). And unfortunately none of these images have the detail or sharpness that I have come to expect in using the SX 50. Even when shooting RAW, both detail and sharpness are sacrificed in the SX 70 because of the increased noise and interference caused by the addition of those extra 8 million photo sites. This is neither subjective nor a matter of opinion; it is simply a reality of the trade-off the engineers at Canon had to make because of a marketing decision to increase the number of pixels on that little teeny tiny sensor to 20 million.

I now have in my possession both cameras, and will do a head-to-head comparison to prove my point in both RAW and S00C JPEG on Friday (time permitting).

..Thanks for commenting..

..I'm certainly not going to compete the SX70 with full frame or crop sensor cameras..

..however, remember that the pictures from your SX50 camera are post processed..

..the pictures I provided are straight-out-of-camera jpeg images, which means with further post processings they could be better..

..also one more thing, the SX50 camera is 12mp (4000 x 3000)..

..and the SX70 camera is 20mp (5184 x 3888)..

..try taking your SX50 images and blow them up from 4000x3000 to 5184x3888 and see what results can get..

..let's get real on this shall we (???)..

..thanks for sharing & happy snapping..

..Cheers, John..

Hello,

To be frank, I believe all this proofing which cam is better, or SX50 and SX60 or the new SX70, doesn't make much sense. As we people and cam users are different, we have very different perception(s) of what is saturated color, warmer/colder tone .... and also what is "sharp enough".

At the moment, all three cameras are available (as used or new) and each of them can find its happy user.

Not to forget, copy variations existed, exist and will exist. Each model had better and worse batches out due to more/less strict QC level.

-- hide signature --

Thank you for watching and appreciating my images.
Avian

jshen808

Avian2016 wrote:

Hello,

To be frank, I believe all this proofing which cam is better, or SX50 and SX60 or the new SX70, doesn't make much sense. As we people and cam users are different, we have very different perception(s) of what is saturated color, warmer/colder tone .... and also what is "sharp enough".

At the moment, all three cameras are available (as used or new) and each of them can find its happy user.

Not to forget, copy variations existed, exist and will exist. Each model had better and worse batches out due to more/less strict QC level.

..Completely agree with you!

..I have no idea what's to prove..

..in my book, all three SX50 SX60 SX70 are good cameras..

..just pick one, and start enjoy taking pictures with the camera..

..you and a few others have been posting fantastic pictures from the SX70..

..and I do not understand why everyone have not noticed all the fine images..

..is there a conspiracy theory here??? ..trying to put down the SX70 just like the SX60???

..anyways, even though I have not been commenting, all your pictures from the SX70 camera, and also from other cameras, are just great..

..thanks for sharing & keep on snapping..

..Cheers, John..

Mannemarak Forum Member • Posts: 85

I think the problem most people have is that since the sx50 release, in 7 years and two models further, Canon has not really produced a better camera. Some will argue that the two later models has worst IQ. Then with every upgrade you pay a hefty price for something that has not really improved. Does better Evf or lcd take better pictures?

Can the same be said in the last 7 years for example to Sony? Nikon?

jshen808

Mannemarak wrote:

I think the problem most people have is that since the sx50 release, in 7 years and two models further, Canon has not really produced a better camera. Some will argue that the two later models has worst IQ. Then with every upgrade you pay a hefty price for something that has not really improved. Does better Evf or lcd take better pictures?

Can the same be said in the last 7 years for example to Sony? Nikon?

..SX50 (12mp): SX60 (16mp), SX70 (20mp)..

..the SX50 is still a good camera, no reason why still cannot enjoy using it today..

..and for the new photographer who wants more zoom than their smartphones, the SX70 is a great camera option for them..

..thanks for sharing & keep on snapping..

..Cheers, John..

ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 21,252

Avian2016 wrote:

Hello,

To be frank, I believe all this proofing which cam is better, or SX50 and SX60 or the new SX70, doesn't make much sense.

It does on a website like this one!

Exactly why it was created...reviewing cameras...the  differences. and any shortcomings.

This particulat forum is about Canon powershot cameras. What doesnt make sense??

I.could see if this was Flicker, Pbase or other image viewing websites...but folk are here for different reasons. Like comparing cameras against another.

Precisely why its designed.

They are nice and let us share and post our images ..I am posting more than many others.

I dont take that for granted..appreciate the Grace given...( other forums here are dedicated for this) and am not bothered nor offended if someone voices their differences with ANY camera.

As of now...I own Canon, Nikon, Ricoh and Panasonic cameras.

Each have their good and bad features...I.Q. included.

Peace

ANAYV

P.S.

Folks should be allowed to share their experiences and opinions without worrying about upsetting someone. Not their intentions, I believe.

Mannemarak Forum Member • Posts: 85

Well I was one of those who recently wanted something that zoom a bit better than my cellphone. I know nothing about cameras, so Canon just sort off sounded like the obvious/safe choice. So I basicly settled that Im going to buy the sx70. Then reading this and other forums most people said picture quality is not really better than the sx50, maybe worst. So why would I then spend $600 on a sx70 rather than spending $130 on a spotless sx50 that will do the same job?

Secondhand I could get sx60's for just a few bucks more than the sx50{$30-60). But almost every forum I read that people returned their sx60 and prefer the sx50.

So at the end of the day us newbies or anybody else, can just get their info from real users and their opinions, and if you search these 3 canon cameras on any forum, this is the conclusion you will get.

Maybe I havent searched enough, but havent seen people posting that older Sony's are better than the rx10 iv, or Nikon p600 is better than the p900/p1000

We can argue all we like, but maybe the answer lies in the other thread were its ask why no Canon's feature in the long zoom shootout

"We can argue all we like, but maybe the answer lies in the other thread were its ask why no Canon's feature in the long zoom shootout."

I had myself asked editors months before why they left out the SX70. It's not the first time. So I guess there must be something that affects the editorial policy. Don't know what but I can sense it.

Having said that, Canon's SX70 isn't the lone case, we also have Kodaks, super (Astro) zoomers case at PhotographyBlog web site. We have already commented about their "not so appropriate way of presenting" the AZ901 cam.

-- hide signature --

Thank you for watching and appreciating my images.
Avian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads