** Weekly X Series Photo Thread 24 FEB - 02 MAR**

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
jtr27 Senior Member • Posts: 2,307
Re: Hiking Mount Jefferson, New Hampshire

Morris0 wrote:

jtr27 wrote:

Mount Jefferson is the third highest peak in New England at 5,712', a bit harder to reach than some of the other high peaks. We took the Jewell and Gulfside trails, a round trip of ~11 miles. The trails were "broken out" but still soft. We used snowshoes to treeline, and then switched over to spikes.

All with my X-E2s and 18-55mm.

This was a long and challenging day. By the time we got back to our cars, it was dusk. For a few brief minutes, alpenglow turned all the mountains pink. I did not take any shots of that as the view was obstructed. We convened to Fabyan's restaurant (a former train station) in Bretton Woods for life-giving fluid and calorie replenishment!

I am moving pretty slowly today, after having hiked two five thousand footers in seven days. But grateful at very nearly 59 to still be able to do this, and for good friends with whom to share the trail.

I like the leading lines of 3 and the person providing scale in 7. The snow looks a touch blue. White balance issue?

Morris

Thank you Morris, honest and kind feedback is appreciated.

-- hide signature --
OP MOD BobsYourUncle Veteran Member • Posts: 6,636
Re: Playing With Filters -- Seashore Scene

jtr27 wrote:

Lovely shot Bob. Doesn't look so very different from the coast of Maine. I much prefer this color version.

Thanks for your kind comments, and thanks for moderating the group.

You are surely welcome!

Bob

BobsYourUncle's gear list:BobsYourUncle's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D5 Fujifilm FinePix X100 +8 more
htimm1948 Regular Member • Posts: 138
ReWildlife in Bossche Broek (The Netherlands) and Castle Heeswijk

Podiceps cristatus,Great Crested Grebe,Haubentaucher,Grebe huppe,Fuut

Branta canadensis,Canada Goose,Kanadagans,Bernache du Canada,Canadese Gans

Ardea cinerea,Grey Heron,Graureiher,Heron cendre,Blauwe Reiger

Deer, Ree

Castle Heeswijk Dinther the Netherlands

htimm1948's gear list:htimm1948's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M5 +3 more
Morris0
Morris0 Senior Member • Posts: 9,619
Re: ReWildlife in Bossche Broek (The Netherlands) and Castle Heeswijk

Lovely set

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +12 more
dv312
dv312 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,637
Re: Bald eagle in tree: X-T3 + 100-400 + 1.4x

Jerry-astro wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

The eagle pair in Centerport Long Island were trading incubation duties when I visited them the other afternoon. A little while after dad returned, mom took off and I followed her into the woods and managed to find a clear view through the branches shooting up at about 45 degrees. I was happy that to almost filling the frame with her and that the late afternoon light was showing off her lovely feathers. She blasted off a little while before the sunlight turned golden.

Comments and suggestions welcome,

Morris

Very nice shot and love the extended wings. Consider bringing up the shadows a bit in post, since there's some beautiful feather detail "hidden" in there that, IMHO, might make the presentation even a bit more dramatic and interesting. However, as with anything, this is very much a matter of personal taste. (BTW, one other approach would be to increase the "exposure" a bit in post for the entire image, then simply bring down the highlights... either would work).

Agree with Jerry here, PS shows about 1/2 EV underexposed perhaps to preserve details in the white plumage

Can judiciously mask out the white and bring up exposure to the rest, details in shadows will pop out

great looking pose of the eagle BTW, lucky you

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a6400 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Morris0

dv312 wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

The eagle pair in Centerport Long Island were trading incubation duties when I visited them the other afternoon. A little while after dad returned, mom took off and I followed her into the woods and managed to find a clear view through the branches shooting up at about 45 degrees. I was happy that to almost filling the frame with her and that the late afternoon light was showing off her lovely feathers. She blasted off a little while before the sunlight turned golden.

Morris

Very nice shot and love the extended wings. Consider bringing up the shadows a bit in post, since there's some beautiful feather detail "hidden" in there that, IMHO, might make the presentation even a bit more dramatic and interesting. However, as with anything, this is very much a matter of personal taste. (BTW, one other approach would be to increase the "exposure" a bit in post for the entire image, then simply bring down the highlights... either would work).

Agree with Jerry here, PS shows about 1/2 EV underexposed perhaps to preserve details in the white plumage

Can judiciously mask out the white and bring up exposure to the rest, details in shadows will pop out

great looking pose of the eagle BTW, lucky you

Thank you,

Normally shooting up into the sky I use +1 EV yet to preserve the whites need to go to -1/3 EV.  I've done a few experiments reprocessing and so far a touch more shadow recovery and selective color where I remove blacks from the blue channel seems to be getting me a natural sky and a touch more shadow detail with contrast to my liking.

I'll post the updated photo when I'm happy with a solution.

This is the second year I'm photographing this nest.  It's a treat.

Morris

Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +12 more
NotANumber Forum Member • Posts: 58
Re: ** Weekly X Series Photo Thread 24 FEB - 02 MAR**

Testing my first prime lens for the Fuji system - Zeiss Touit 32mm. I thought the two XC lenses are performing very well on the 24mp Bayer sensor but the 32mm lens is totally blowing me away with its sharpness at any aperture and distance. I also made a screen capture from 1:1 view in lightroom:

Another example:

NotANumber's gear list:NotANumber's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm 50-230mm II Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +2 more
Morris0
Reworked: Bald eagle in tree: X-T3 + 100-400 + 1.4x

A tiny bit more shadow detail and I've corrected the sky color using selective color.

Morris

Morris0

I like the last and wish it was happening in my yard.  Will be a few more weeks

Morris

D_Gunman
D_Gunman Forum Member • Posts: 61
Dry Land

I went on the trip to San Antonio with family, took hundred of photos from attractions but my favorite photo was an impromptu shot behind a gas station on the way back from the trip.

D_Gunman's gear list:D_Gunman's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +3 more
Andre Bomhof
Andre Bomhof Veteran Member • Posts: 4,764
Re: The Color's Return

Kottan wrote:

End of winter in the wetlands of eastern Austria.

Very nice image.

André

Andre Bomhof

Morris0 wrote:

Morris

Very impressive capture, Morris! Good to see you are still at it since the old Nikon D70 etc. forum days, where I met you first. Looks like we both ended up with Fuji gear

André

Andre Bomhof
Re: ReWildlife in Bossche Broek (The Netherlands) and Castle Heeswijk

htimm1948 wrote:

Ardea cinerea,Grey Heron,Graureiher,Heron cendre,Blauwe Reiger

Great series, like this heron doing a manicure

André

Morris0

Andre Bomhof wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Morris

Very impressive capture, Morris! Good to see you are still at it since the old Nikon D70 etc. forum days, where I met you first. Looks like we both ended up with Fuji gear

André

Thank you André,

Good to hear from you.  This is my second time shooting Fuji and am quite impressed with the T-T3 and all the Fuji lenses.

Morris

Andre Bomhof
Today was a good day in polderland.

Another stitched image with CS5 Photomerge. X-T1 and 16-50mm.

Lake area called Reeuwijkse Plassen just north-east of Gouda NL.

André

-- hide signature --

http://mcpint.zenfolio.com
--
'Forever Morning'
Mr. Tony Banks

Morris0
Re: Today was a good day in polderland.

This is a beauty André.  It seems a bit dark and when I downloaded it the histogram seemed to say the same thing.  Any artistic reason for this?

Morris

Jose Viegas
Jose Viegas Senior Member • Posts: 1,845
LE lighthouse
 Jose Viegas's gear list:Jose Viegas's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +7 more
horseracingphoto Regular Member • Posts: 123

xt2 - 8mm Samyang - last race of the day

horseracingphoto's gear list:horseracingphoto's gear list
Fujifilm X-A1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Fujifilm X-T10 +2 more
Morris0
Re: LE lighthouse

sweet

Morris0

I like it

Morris

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads