** Weekly X Series Photo Thread 24 FEB - 02 MAR**

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,139
Re: Downtown Johannesburg

Nice

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +12 more
Morris0
Re: A walk in the park

The 4th is my pick

Morris

Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +12 more
dv312
dv312 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,645
Re: Wildlife at San Joaquin River NWR

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Still chilly there? I imagine it is as green as it can be with all our rain this winter?

Bob

yes, in the 40s, not only is it green , there's plenty of water abound

When it flooded, water birds were harder to find unfortunately

When going out to shoot, 3 things one has to keep in mind: rain, wind, high tide ; those are deterrents to birds

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a6400 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
Morris0

I like the sparkle on the branches balanced by the hawk in the second

Morris

Morris0
Re: Hiking Mount Jefferson, New Hampshire

jtr27 wrote:

Mount Jefferson is the third highest peak in New England at 5,712', a bit harder to reach than some of the other high peaks. We took the Jewell and Gulfside trails, a round trip of ~11 miles. The trails were "broken out" but still soft. We used snowshoes to treeline, and then switched over to spikes.

All with my X-E2s and 18-55mm.

This was a long and challenging day. By the time we got back to our cars, it was dusk. For a few brief minutes, alpenglow turned all the mountains pink. I did not take any shots of that as the view was obstructed. We convened to Fabyan's restaurant (a former train station) in Bretton Woods for life-giving fluid and calorie replenishment!

I am moving pretty slowly today, after having hiked two five thousand footers in seven days. But grateful at very nearly 59 to still be able to do this, and for good friends with whom to share the trail.

I like the leading lines of 3 and the person providing scale in 7.  The snow looks a touch blue.  White balance issue?

Morris

Morris0
Re: Prague

The second is super

Morris

Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 14,308
Re: Screech Owl in the woods

Morris0 wrote:

It's the second for me Jerry

Morris

Oh, yeah, me too, Morris. I showed both mostly for the contrast between an owl half asleep and then fully awake, ready for the hunt. No question that the second is the "keeper" of the two IMHO.

Thank you for commenting.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
jtr27 Senior Member • Posts: 2,330
Re: Playing With Filters -- Seashore Scene

Lovely shot Bob. Doesn't look so very different from the coast of Maine. I much prefer this color version.

Thanks for your kind comments, and thanks for moderating the group.

-- hide signature --
Morris0
Bald eagle in tree: X-T3 + 100-400 + 1.4x

The eagle pair in Centerport Long Island were trading incubation duties when I visited them the other afternoon. A little while after dad returned, mom took off and I followed her into the woods and managed to find a clear view through the branches shooting up at about 45 degrees. I was happy that to almost filling the frame with her and that the late afternoon light was showing off her lovely feathers. She blasted off a little while before the sunlight turned golden.

Comments and suggestions welcome,

Morris

These are terrific Jerry. You did a good job getting an unobstructed view and nailing the focus.

I recall you mentioning in a prior thread that your buddy excels at owl finding... perhaps you can send him or her to Maine for a short time?

Thanks for your kind comments, and thank you for moderating the group.

-- hide signature --

Terrific set.  I like the elk (I think?) shot and the coyote.  Coyotes always have a vaguely guilty expression on their faces... 

-- hide signature --
Re: The Color's Return

Beautiful comp and color, I enjoyed a long look at full screen.

-- hide signature --
Re: Hiking Mount Jefferson, New Hampshire

Thank you JS!

-- hide signature --
Re: Varadero Cuba

Really nice in black and white.  I believe that's what they call a Ten Gallon Hat! 

-- hide signature --
Re: Bald eagle in tree: X-T3 + 100-400 + 1.4x

Dramatic capture Morris!

-- hide signature --
Jerry-astro

Morris0 wrote:

The eagle pair in Centerport Long Island were trading incubation duties when I visited them the other afternoon. A little while after dad returned, mom took off and I followed her into the woods and managed to find a clear view through the branches shooting up at about 45 degrees. I was happy that to almost filling the frame with her and that the late afternoon light was showing off her lovely feathers. She blasted off a little while before the sunlight turned golden.

Morris

Very nice shot and love the extended wings. Consider bringing up the shadows a bit in post, since there's some beautiful feather detail "hidden" in there that, IMHO, might make the presentation even a bit more dramatic and interesting. However, as with anything, this is very much a matter of personal taste. (BTW, one other approach would be to increase the "exposure" a bit in post for the entire image, then simply bring down the highlights... either would work).

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Orsonneke
Orsonneke Junior Member • Posts: 38
Medieval town Diest Flanders

A sunny afternoon reveals some nice little streets and old medieval buildings

Orsonneke's gear list:Orsonneke's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +6 more
Morris0

jtr27 wrote:

Dramatic capture Morris!

Thank you Jonathan

Morris

Jerry-astro

jtr27 wrote:

These are terrific Jerry. You did a good job getting an unobstructed view and nailing the focus.

I recall you mentioning in a prior thread that your buddy excels at owl finding... perhaps you can send him or her to Maine for a short time?

Thanks for your kind comments, and thank you for moderating the group.

Thank you very much, Jonathan! Getting that view took some work and it was a very narrow "window."

Yes, I'm extremely lucky to have him as a friend and fellow photographer. The only downside is that the poor guy is still shooting a Canon DSLR (7DMk2). I do try not to give him too hard a time for his lapse in judgment with respect to equipment choices, and somehow, he still manages to get excellent results.

I'm going to bet he'd love a trip your way (hey, who wouldn't?). I have very fond memories of your beautiful neck of the woods having lived in the Boston area a few decades back (late '70s) and taken a trip or two up your way.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Morris0

Jerry-astro wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Morris

Very nice shot and love the extended wings. Consider bringing up the shadows a bit in post, since there's some beautiful feather detail "hidden" in there that, IMHO, might make the presentation even a bit more dramatic and interesting. However, as with anything, this is very much a matter of personal taste. (BTW, one other approach would be to increase the "exposure" a bit in post for the entire image, then simply bring down the highlights... either would work).

Thank you Jerry,

I'm a big fan of contrast and brought the shadows up just enough to show some feather detail.  I know others like to dig the shadows out more.  I like your idea of bringing up the exposure as I protected the whites.  This would allow for a more natural sky color and I could easily pull down the highlights and/or whites and adjust the black point.  I'm going to play with this method.

Morris

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads