E-M10?

Started 6 months ago | Questions
Gregg75 Junior Member • Posts: 34
E-M10?

I had my m10 for almost 3yrs. I want to know if the m10II or M10III are these worthy upgrades to my camera. i going to pick up the pro 14-40. also does anyone know do you have to send your camera back to Olympus because the port that i stick the cable is not working correcting when i plug it in it says please wait. i have to force in further for it  to start reading the SD  card in the camera.  thanks for any info and advice.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Leica M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rudi Senior Member • Posts: 1,535
Re: E-M10?

Why don´t you use a card reader ?

Rudi.

OP Gregg75 Junior Member • Posts: 34

that's true. how about updates to the camera.

Rudi Senior Member • Posts: 1,535

Gregg75 wrote:

Sorry Gregg75,

can´t give any usable hint on  that.

Got my OMD EM10 and DMC GM5 as they arrived for sale and didn´t  feel any need to upgrade, because they fit the purpose I got them for.

Rudi.

Rudi wrote:

Gregg75 wrote:

Sorry Gregg75,

can´t give any usable hint on that.

Got my OMD EM10 and DMC GM5 as they arrived for sale and didn´t feel any need to upgrade, because they fit the purpose I got them for.

Rudi.

Thanks Rudi for the info.

tjuster1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,023

Gregg75 wrote:

I had my m10 for almost 3yrs. I want to know if the m10II or M10III are these worthy upgrades to my camera. i going to pick up the pro 14-40. also does anyone know do you have to send your camera back to Olympus because the port that i stick the cable is not working correcting when i plug it in it says please wait. i have to force in further for it to start reading the SD card in the camera. thanks for any info and advice.

The EM10-ii is a significant upgrade, worth it IMO. I own both. IBIS is better in the II and it has other features like live composite that are very useful. Ergonomics seem better as well.

As to the EM10-iii, it's a crippled version with some video upgrades that don't matter to me. Search this forum, because there are lots of threads comparing it to the II.

tjuster1's gear list:tjuster1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,255

Gregg75 wrote:

I had my m10 for almost 3yrs. I want to know if the m10II or M10III are these worthy upgrades to my camera.

The E-M10 Mark2 is the logical and significant update. The E-M10 Mk3 has gone weirdly "beginner" so if currently quite used to Olympus menus then the E-M10 Mk3 will take pictures but will frustrate with the menu limitations. Have a read of https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60125017 to get an idea.

i going to pick up the pro 14-40.

Excellent choice, maybe the bigger 12-100/4 would also be a great choice to get a more useful zoom range with the same sort of image quality.

also does anyone know do you have to send your camera back to Olympus because the port that i stick the cable is not working correcting when i plug it in it says please wait. i have to force in further for it to start reading the SD card in the camera. thanks for any info and advice.

If cable faulty or lost then the firmware updates (or downdates) can be done via SD card from this page https://lightsnowdev.com/Olympus/index.html

Best to always use a card reader for transferring files, saves wear and tear on that cable.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +4 more
jpig Contributing Member • Posts: 514

tjuster1 wrote:

The EM10-ii is a significant upgrade, worth it IMO. I own both. IBIS is better in the II and it has other features like live composite that are very useful. Ergonomics seem better as well.

The original E-M10 has Live Composite. But yes, the IBIS is better in the II, I believe it has a higher res EVF, and possibly also focus stacking. But none of the advantages of the II have yet tempted me to upgrade from my original E-M10.

gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,937

Guy Parsons wrote:

Gregg75 wrote:

I had my m10 for almost 3yrs. I want to know if the m10II or M10III are these worthy upgrades to my camera.

The E-M10 Mark2 is the logical and significant update. The E-M10 Mk3 has gone weirdly "beginner" so if currently quite used to Olympus menus then the E-M10 Mk3 will take pictures but will frustrate with the menu limitations. Have a read of https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60125017 to get an idea.

The E-M10 II is my grab and go camera, and was an upgrade from my E-M10....Well worth the $$.

i going to pick up the pro 14-40.

Excellent choice, maybe the bigger 12-100/4 would also be a great choice to get a more useful zoom range with the same sort of image quality.

Although I love my 12/100 f/4 on my Pen F, I find it really does overpower my E-M10 II. However, the 12-40 f/2.8 has found a new home on my E-M10 II since being replaced by the 12-100 on the Pen F, and it makes a great match up.

also does anyone know do you have to send your camera back to Olympus because the port that i stick the cable is not working correcting when i plug it in it says please wait. i have to force in further for it to start reading the SD card in the camera. thanks for any info and advice.

If cable faulty or lost then the firmware updates (or downdates) can be done via SD card from this page https://lightsnowdev.com/Olympus/index.html

Best to always use a card reader for transferring files, saves wear and tear on that cable.

Regards...... Guy

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +8 more
cerich
cerich Contributing Member • Posts: 506

tjuster1 wrote:

Gregg75 wrote:

I had my m10 for almost 3yrs. I want to know if the m10II or M10III are these worthy upgrades to my camera. i going to pick up the pro 14-40. also does anyone know do you have to send your camera back to Olympus because the port that i stick the cable is not working correcting when i plug it in it says please wait. i have to force in further for it to start reading the SD card in the camera. thanks for any info and advice.

As to the EM10-iii, it's a crippled version with some video upgrades that don't matter to me. Search this forum, because there are lots of threads comparing it to the II.

The first 10 has live composit

cerich's gear list:cerich's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +34 more
Guy Parsons

cerich wrote:

tjuster1 wrote:

Gregg75 wrote:

The first 10 has live composit

Live Composite plus a few other things came with the TruePic VII chip, starting with the E-M1 in 2013, the E-M10 was the next camera to have that same chip a few months later. The Live Composite feature appeared first in the E-M10 and a later update to the E-M1 added it there as well. My timeline page may help sort out some features http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/olyepl1/80-Oly-timeline.html

Regards..... Guy

Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +4 more
Devvy Regular Member • Posts: 278

I bought a second-hand Mark I last year, and moved to a Mark II a few months later.

My findings:

• Picture quality is not improved, just the same.
  • Rear screen is the same.
  • The EVF is miles ahead, especially useful when manual focusing
  • Focus peaking works faster (refresh rate of the screen does not drop as dramatically)
  • IBIS is better, esp. in movie mode
  • Extra function button
  • More frame rate options for movies, quality-wise movies are a bit better as well (though not as good as Panasonic I have to say)
  • Silent shooting (this for me is a key thing)

The Mark III technically is superior to the Mark II (it has 4K video), but not as flexible as the Mark II. Photo quality again is the same.

I bought the Mark II because of the better movie quality; actually that was less of an improvement as I expected. But the EVF and silent mode would make me feel bad when I had to move back to the Mark I.

But then, the Mark I convinced me to sell my Nikon D7000. I loved it.

Devvy's gear list:Devvy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens +5 more
Felice62 Senior Member • Posts: 2,003

Gregg75 wrote:

Em10ii is a little wonder. Can be easily found refurbished or second hand at very affordable price and it's certainly a major upgrade to the M10.

That said id you have no other reason for changing your camera simply remove the SD card from it and stick it into your PC's card reader. It's the cheapest solution.

-- hide signature --

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +28 more
G Dickson Contributing Member • Posts: 555

Devvy wrote:

I bought a second-hand Mark I last year, and moved to a Mark II a few months later.

My findings:

• Focus peaking works faster (refresh rate of the screen does not drop as dramatically)
  • Extra function button
  • More frame rate options for movies, quality-wise movies are a bit better as well (though not as good as Panasonic I have to say)

The Mark III technically is superior to the Mark II (it has 4K video), but not as flexible as the Mark II. Photo quality again is the same.

I bought the Mark II because of the better movie quality; actually that was less of an improvement as I expected. But the EVF and silent mode would make me feel bad when I had to move back to the Mark I.

All of the above. I added an em10mkii to my version 1 in December. The evf,ibis and silent shooting plus improved video is a huge upgrade. Great camera and huge value for money.

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon 6D Mark II +11 more
nic22 Regular Member • Posts: 165

I have both the MK1 and MK2. Whether it's worth it to upgrade is really personal. The main reasons why I prefer the MK2:

- Better ergonomics (dials and on/off)

- 5-axis IBIS

- EVF

- Simulated OVF

- Electronic shutter (nice to have when shooting in a church during service...!)

nic22's gear list:nic22's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
thelightwriter Regular Member • Posts: 436

Both the Mk2 and Mk3 are pretty nice upgrades to the Mk1 but they are different enough from each other that one may make more sense for you than the other.

The Mk2 may be a better choice if video isn't a big priority to you. It has E-Shutter in manual mode up to 1600 while the Mk3 E-Shutter is only available in AP mode and is in auto, you can't choose the E-Shutter speed the camera does. Honestly thats my biggest annoyance with the Mk3.

While the Mk3 has been simplified more than the Mk2 it does have some improvements over the Mk2. The most noticeable are probably video which has been much improved. and the IBIS which is closest to the E-M1 Mk2 without spending an E-M1 Mk2 amount of money.

thelightwriter's gear list:thelightwriter's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more

thanks for all the info. I have seen a few refurbished for around 380. i was reading in one of the above thread that image quality would still be the same.i also seen the m5 mark II.does m5 mark II help with the image quality or its just lens. btw i already bought the 12-40 pro a week ago. cant wait to use it at the ny auto show in april.

Lichtspiel
Lichtspiel Senior Member • Posts: 1,635

Devvy wrote:

My findings:

• Extra function button

Good summary, I would like to add the focus bracketing function on version 2 that I really enjoy.

Lichtspiel's gear list:Lichtspiel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +4 more
Guy Parsons

Gregg75 wrote:

thanks for all the info. I have seen a few refurbished for around 380. i was reading in one of the above thread that image quality would still be the same.i also seen the m5 mark II.does m5 mark II help with the image quality or its just lens.

Lens. Always the lens.

The E-M5 Mk2 adds other features that some may make use of, but the image quality is very much the same. It's the lens making most difference and the 12-40/2.8 is as good as it gets. It was the best lens purchase that I ever made, first on E-PL5 and now on E-P5.

Rest assured that the E-M10 Mk2 is the high point in value for money with Olympus M4/3 bodies. I really should go get one to put away for when my E-P5 gets too old to work any more.

btw i already bought the 12-40 pro a week ago. cant wait to use it at the ny auto show in april.

The best compromise between good depth of field and image quality is to take most shots at f/5.6, only going towards f/2.8 if needing slightly shallower depth of field or if the light gets too low so as to avoid taking the ISO too high.

For closeups then use 40mm and the AF/MF slip ring at MF closest focus, then move the camera closer to get that bee in the flower or car badge or whatever.

Trap #1 with the 12-40/2.8 is that AF/MF slip ring, people forget to check it and then curse why the camera won't AF. Always check where that ring is before using.

Trap #2 is that the lens cap is a disaster, it falls apart unpredictably. Best to find a third party centre pinch cap to replace it and keep the original safe somewhere.

Trap #3 is that for some folks the lens hood either pops off or falls apart. I've never had that in some years of use so it may be dependent on handling and how snugly it fits in a camera bag.

Regards..... Guy

I wanted to thank everyone in thread for the advice and help. I picked up the M10 markII on ebay certified recondition by Olympus with 90 warranty for 285 + shipping. it came with kit lens that i already have but this was cheaper than body only.i have to familiarize myself with it because im going  to the NY auto show tomorrow and don't want struggling then trying take photos.i also get to use the pro 12-40 lens i got.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads