***Mini Challenge #535: Framed

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
OP Michael86 Contributing Member • Posts: 582
Re: Entry 2 Looking home***Mini Challenge #535: Framed

Great composition and exposure in B&W.  Adding person also creates secondary focal point. Well done.

Michael86's gear list:Michael86's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Re: Entry 3 you’ve been framed***Mini Challenge #535: Framed

Interesting perspective. Like the reflection of the subject as well.

Sony RX10 IV
MrGT86
MrGT86 Junior Member • Posts: 42
Re: Entry 3 you’ve been framed***Mini Challenge #535: Framed

Michael86 wrote:

Interesting perspective. Like the reflection of the subject as well.

Thanks for the kind words on my 3 entries 👍🏻

-- hide signature --

All the gear and no idea

MrGT86's gear list:MrGT86's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Apple iPhone X +1 more
abiquiuense
abiquiuense Senior Member • Posts: 4,462
Re: I've been framed.

Michael86 wrote:

Clever.

Keep it on "the QT."  

abiquiuense
A Northern New Mexico Adobe Schoolhouse; ca. 1911 (1st Entry)

Found at close to 9,000 foot elevation, the now-deceased, community of Rechuelos, on the Rio del Oso, a tributary of the Rio Chama, this school was built out of adobe circa 1911, at a time when New Mexico was still a territory. Based on a "School Board Journal," recently donated to the Pueblo de Abiquiu Library, I've estimated that during peak attendance, the school had all of thirty students. The "journal" depicts limited minutes, expenditures, gifts of horse drawn wagons filled with firewood, and furniture made by hand. Salaries, for teachers, ONE DOLLAR per month.

Youngsters, during the active time frame of my dad's attendance, ca. 1918, became candidates between five and twenty-one years of age. My dad attended the entire three years of his educational career. Yep, he was an elementary school drop out. Despite this, he was a veteran of WWII, having served as a Corporal, in Company "B," 104th Anti-Tank Battalion, Fort Sam Houston, Texas. (I profiled this Battalion, in an earlier DPR post.") He also raised a family of eight; all eight of whom attended a university, UNM or NMSU.

The 104th? They're the ones who knocked the supremacists off of the skies.

abiquiuense

Note: "Adobe." According to the site "Real Academia Española," the Moors invented this word for the bricks that you see above. And, so the credit goes also for hundreds of words that we use in northern NM.  "Adobes," were used among the pueblos, millennia before Europe came here.

"Del ár. hisp. aṭṭúb, este del ár. clás. ṭūb, y este del egipcio ḏbt." RAE

https://dle.rae.es/?id=0nZkMqZ

Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 40,792
My ***3rd ENTRY*** Mystic Seaport Ct

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Val Bueno
Val Bueno Senior Member • Posts: 1,804
Exhibit: Sultan Ahmed Mosque (aka The Blue Mosque)

Entry: The Sultan Ahmed Mosque in Istanbul, Turkey through an archway

Exhibit: Jodoshu Tenjo Temple, Otaru , Hokkaido, Japan through the trees

Exhibit: King Charles Bridge through the archway of a bridge tower

Aloha,
Val

Val Bueno's gear list:Val Bueno's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX100 VI ACDSee Pro 5 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Jerry045
Jerry045 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,078
Some entries and exhibits

Here's a few from my archives:

Entry #1

Exhibit #1

Entry #2

Exhibit #2

Exhibit #3

Entry #3

Exhibit #4

Exhibit #5

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 +2 more
abiquiuense
WPA Furniture; New Mexico Style (Entry Two)

The "Great Depression," brought the WPA and the CCC to northern New Mexico.  It also brought unionization, in the form of the "SPMDTU," which I'll treat at another time.

During the depression, academic artists fell upon quaint northern NM.  Our church was no exception to the experiments.  John Gaw Meem, with local help, redesigned, and rebuilt Santo Tomas Apostol de Abiquiu, and other churches.  Into the interior went much "handiwork."  Many paisanos participated.

Professions like teaching, medicine, law enforcement, law, and the priesthood, took a back seat to things that the vicinity could sink its hands into.

My dad was no exception and bit the artsy, craftsy, till the soil type of training offered by a local non-academic school's offerings.  He studied cabinetry at "El Rito Normal School."  He conveyed the motives that Meem had brought in from UNM into his cabinetry.

By the time I was born, my mom and he had lacerations on their hands from learning and doing the cabinetry posted above.  She taught him the math, he put his immensely powerful hands into the knives.

I call it WPA Cabinetry.  Those square dowels indicate that this furniture doesn't use metal in place of its mortise and tenon joinery.

Sure wish the government had taken a better interest in us and offered us JD's, MD's, Ph.d's, Know What I mean?  On, the plus side, a houseful of furniture in the genre; tables, chairs, buffets, tea tables, miniature chair, dressers, closets, I still have the drawings.

So, buyers still come to NM to buy our quaint stuff.

abiquiuense

Re: A Northern New Mexico Adobe Schoolhouse; ca. 1911 (1st Entry)

Wow, great history and connection with your father. Thanks for sharing.

Sony RX10 IV
Bill Borne
Some exhibitions from around the US

Mystic Seaport Ct

Gila Cliff Dwelling NM

IBM Glen Endicott /NY

My Sons deck view

Bread in my Oven

Deer out my Dining Room Window

Bent's Old Fort Colorado

Bannack St Pk Ghost Town Montana

Bannack St Pk Ghost Town Montana

Bent's Old Fort Colorado

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
burnttoast Forum Member • Posts: 96
Re: ***Mini Challenge #535: Framed - Entry #1

Great horned owl (male) with mesquite flowers

burnttoast's gear list:burnttoast's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX10 IV Nikon D90 +1 more
abiquiuense
Re: Some exhibitions from around the US

I've never been to the Gila Cliff Dwellings nor the Gila Wilderness. And, I've never seen a Gila Monster; I hear that they like poodles.

Bent's Fort. Is that Charles Bent of Santa Fe Trail Days? Got hisself killed in Taos. Which, BTW, is probably the only time that the U.S. has executed its prisoners of war.

There are a couple of nuggets of factoids at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantonment_Burgwin

Much more is to be learned in the Federal Record. (Use GoogleBooks; enter Burgwin, for the free books.)  During the hearings, it was determined that many people were killed as prisoners. What is missing is the testimony of personal letters written by relatives attesting to this atrocity.  I do my research in those.

Before Burgwin, the U.S. Army built a fort at Abiquiu. The 1/10 of the 1%, local yokels, immediately became foragers and spies for the U.S. Army, and, the rich sold mules to the U.S. because wheeled vehicles couldn't make it past Abiquiu, which route was considered by General Stephen Watts Kearny. Kearny left his civilian government to develop NM's "organic law," and exited, by way of Yuma, to California, leaving a company to handle peace treaties, signed at Abiquiu, with the Navajo. The military industry immediately began their attacks on the Navajo and Apache.  Carson would later murder many hundreds of my neighbors.

In the process, Carson razed thousands of peach trees in Chaco, Kayenta, Canon de Chelly, and Hopi.  The stones for these orchards had originated in Abiquiu, the 1600's.

The local rich had names like Brigadier General Jose Maria del Socorro Chavez y Velarde, Antonio Manzanares, Andres Quintana, Jose Jaramillo, Pedro Ygnacio Gallegos.  All of these were rich people who had ignored Mexican law and should have kept out of our pueblos.  Nope, they encroached.  So, when people talk about land speculators, the Mexicans and before them, the Spanish landed, encroached on our sovereign rights.

Let's face it; Kit Carson and Juan de Onate had something in common, they were both war criminals.

Bill Borne

abiquiuense wrote:

I've never been to the Gila Cliff Dwellings nor the Gila Wilderness. And, I've never seen a Gila Monster; I hear that they like poodles.

Go pretty cool place. I've been to many cliff dwellings

Mesa Verde Colorado

Gila Cliff Dwelling New Mexico

Montezuma Ruins Arizona

Wupatki National Monument Arizona

Aztec National Monument New Mexico

Bent's old fort

Bent's Fort. Is that Charles Bent of Santa Fe Trail Days? Got hisself killed in Taos. Which, BTW, is probably the only time that the U.S. has executed its prisoners of war.

I don't think so?

Much more is to be learned in the Federal Record. (Use GoogleBooks; enter Burgwin, for the free books.) During the hearings, it was determined that many people were killed as prisoners. What is missing is the testimony of personal letters written by relatives attesting to this atrocity. I do my research in those.

Before Burgwin, the U.S. Army built a fort at Abiquiu. The 1/10 of the 1%, local yokels, immediately became foragers and spies for the U.S. Army, and, the rich sold mules to the U.S. because wheeled vehicles couldn't make it past Abiquiu, which route was considered by General Stephen Watts Kearny. Kearny left his civilian government to develop NM's "organic law," and exited, by way of Yuma, to California, leaving a company to handle peace treaties, signed at Abiquiu, with the Navajo. The military industry immediately began their attacks on the Navajo and Apache. Carson would later murder many hundreds of my neighbors.

In the process, Carson razed thousands of peach trees in Chaco, Kayenta, Canon de Chelly, and Hopi. The stones for these orchards had originated in Abiquiu, the 1600's.

The local rich had names like Brigadier General Jose Maria del Socorro Chavez y Velarde, Antonio Manzanares, Andres Quintana, Jose Jaramillo, Pedro Ygnacio Gallegos. All of these were rich people who had ignored Mexican law and should have kept out of our pueblos. Nope, they encroached. So, when people talk about land speculators, the Mexicans and before them, the Spanish landed, encroached on our sovereign rights.

Let's face it; Kit Carson and Juan de Onate had something in common, they were both war criminals.

Never knew Kit arson has been classified as a war criminal

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

abiquiuense

Bill Borne wrote:

abiquiuense wrote:

Go pretty cool place. I've been to many cliff dwellings

I don't think so?

Much more is to be learned in the Federal Record. (Use GoogleBooks; enter Burgwin, for the free books.) During the hearings, it was determined that many people were killed as prisoners. What is missing is the testimony of personal letters written by relatives attesting to this atrocity. I do my research in those.

Before Burgwin, the U.S. Army built a fort at Abiquiu. The 1/10 of the 1%, local yokels, immediately became foragers and spies for the U.S. Army, and, the rich sold mules to the U.S. because wheeled vehicles couldn't make it past Abiquiu, which route was considered by General Stephen Watts Kearny. Kearny left his civilian government to develop NM's "organic law," and exited, by way of Yuma, to California, leaving a company to handle peace treaties, signed at Abiquiu, with the Navajo. The military industry immediately began their attacks on the Navajo and Apache. Carson would later murder many hundreds of my neighbors.

In the process, Carson razed thousands of peach trees in Chaco, Kayenta, Canon de Chelly, and Hopi. The stones for these orchards had originated in Abiquiu, the 1600's.

The local rich had names like Brigadier General Jose Maria del Socorro Chavez y Velarde, Antonio Manzanares, Andres Quintana, Jose Jaramillo, Pedro Ygnacio Gallegos. All of these were rich people who had ignored Mexican law and should have kept out of our pueblos. Nope, they encroached. So, when people talk about land speculators, the Mexicans and before them, the Spanish landed, encroached on our sovereign rights.

Never knew Kit arson has been classified as a war criminal

Some aficionados would debate it.  But, those would also not know that Chavez' rank is by unitedstatesian authority.  Aren't aircraft carriers named after BrigGens?  What happened to Chavez' recognition?  He shouldn't get one either.  Using "booksG" I found a newspaper article written in the East coast which, besides drawing him on horse back and short gunning caricatures of indigenous peoples, titled him "Indian Fighter."  I freaked and went into immediate writer's block.

Onate removed the big toe from his prisoners taken at Acoma.  Some say, he removed a foot.  Centuries later, our local senator, had a five ton bronze casting made of Onate on a stallion, only to have his (bronze) foot cut off.  The politician died before he realized that the county would not name the building after him, but, not before I made him spend 35,000 on his reelection.  I lost by 400 votes in an election that drew 65% of the Democrat's primary.  Geldings are better workers than stallions.

I think that we should nominate Fray Bartolome de Las Casas as a hero.  The Spanish priest who created the Mexican people, i.e., mestizos or mestizaje.

DeGijon Regular Member • Posts: 425
Exhibit: Asomandose al Espejo

DeGijon's gear list:DeGijon's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony a6000 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +10 more
Jerry R Forum Pro • Posts: 10,793
Re: ***Mini Challenge #535: Framed, 3 entries:

Thanks Michael.

The stage backdrop was unbelievably real. There was a similar scene on the other side. took awhile to figure out if it was real or not.

-- hide signature --

Sony R1, NEX C3 & 5R ,Sony A7.
Lenses: 24mm, f/1.8, FE 24-70, f/4, & FE 70-200, f/4.
Nikon V1 + 10-30 & 30-110 lenses.

Jerry R Forum Pro • Posts: 10,793
Re: ***Mini Challenge #535: Framed, Exhibit:

-- hide signature --

Sony R1, NEX C3 & 5R ,Sony A7.
Lenses: 24mm, f/1.8, FE 24-70, f/4, & FE 70-200, f/4.
Nikon V1 + 10-30 & 30-110 lenses.

Foto4x4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,737
Re: Exhibit: Asomandose al Espejo

That is a wonderful subject of two beautiful women. If I may say though, it is spoiled for me by the high IOS. I was surprised to see you used such a high shutter speed for a stationery subject causing the noisy grain. Not a lot I could recover from a Jpeg but I gave it a shot. Hope you don't mind. I also cropped the bottom as I felt the salon girl's white legs distracted from the main subject being the girl in the mirror.

-- hide signature --

Quote: “If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.”, Robert Capa

Foto4x4's gear list:Foto4x4's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony RX100 VI Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Sony a7R II +14 more
DeGijon Regular Member • Posts: 425
Re: Exhibit: Asomandose al Espejo

Not at all! It was my first wedding (doing it for friends) and I was under a bit of pressure, so the high ISO/fast shutter was just a mistake. I had been in manual with auto ISO outside on a very bright day in New Mexico and came inside and forgot to change settings. Fortunately, most of the photos turned out OK but I liked this one despite its flaws. I like your crop. I was experimenting a bit as well and cropped even more. Also, I wish I'd spotted the keys under the mirror.

DeGijon's gear list:DeGijon's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony a6000 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads